PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Block

Haruki-kun
2008-01-03, 02:28 AM
(I assume this goes in FB....)

So, yes, hi! I'm Haruki-kun, and I have writer's Block! Normally I don't concern myself with it, since it usually goes away after a while............. except this time I've been blocked since August, and I just can't get past it. This is my plea for help. How do I get rid of this block???

This is also a Thread for you to post if you're having the same problem, because, well, it happens to everyone!

What do I do??? :smallfrown: Anyone have any suggestions?

reorith
2008-01-03, 02:54 AM
whenever i get writer's block, i flip through old books on random stuff. or i go in the garage and paint things black. it usually works, but since august? dang. have you tried writing a shorter piece on something else just to switch up the pace?

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-03, 02:56 AM
When I get writer's block I ...

Gah! I can't figure out how to end it! :smallmad:

:smallcool:

Haruki-kun
2008-01-03, 03:04 AM
whenever i get writer's block, i flip through old books on random stuff. or i go in the garage and paint things black. it usually works, but since august? dang. have you tried writing a shorter piece on something else just to switch up the pace?

No, I haven't tried much other than sitting in front of the blank page in the computer and thinking "So, what now?".

I usually end up saying "I'll get past it tomorrow.... maybe I'll feel better some other time............ I'll take a week off from writing so I can get over the block......." and somehow I end up exactly where I was. :smallfrown:

PhoeKun
2008-01-03, 03:14 AM
Well, that's actually part of the problem. Writer's block doesn't usually just go away, so when you wait around for inspiration to strike, most times all that will happen is you get older.

It might sound a bit strange, but the best way to get over a writer's block is to, well, write. It's not so much that you don't know what you're doing, or even what you want to do, so much as there's a mental block when you go to let it all out. So just write. Don't worry about it being good, or even making sense. If you sit in front of a computer and type "I don't know what to write" over and over again for three hours, you're still making progress. After a while, things should start clicking again.

Good luck!

rubakhin
2008-01-03, 06:00 AM
Short-term writer's block is a nastier problem then the long-term Deathblock you seem to be struggling with here, because small writer's block can have any variety of sources. This long term situation - and I've had plenty of them myself - is probably your subconsciousness's way of putting up a roadblock. When I get blocked like this, I see it as a sign that something in my story is deeply effed up. Usually, I merely have to take a long, cold look at my story, and I find a huge plothole or similar stupidity that would have turned my novel into a tattered mess. Once I get rid of it (or them, God help me), I can generally proceed as planned. Writer's block is the friend that puts you in a headlock when you've had four tequilas and are definitely not afraid of the freakin' police right now. Look over your outline (outline or re-outline if you don't have a concise one already). Study your characters. Prod your world. Is any part of you secretly thinking "Well, this subplot could be deeply moronic, but I think I can pull it off"? You can't. Or is it "Hm, I'm not feeling this character, but she works as a concept so I'm sure she'll be fine once I start writing her?" She won't.

Untangling it may or may not be a nightmare. There could be more than one hole or stupidity, or whatever fundamental stupidity is slowing you down could have its roots in the entire story, and you'll have to pull out hundreds of stitches to fix it. (Oh, man, once I was working on this novel where it turns out the stupidity was the POV. I basically needed to write it in first person POV from the perspective of both my main characters, and even after I did the fancy structural work I needed to pull it off, there were a few other major stupidities. Took the better part of a year to sort out. Was worth it in the end, though.)

Consider also whether you're simply tired of the project, or whether you might just not be up to the task yet as a writer. I've had to let some good ideas go because I knew I wasn't at the point yet where I could pull them off.

Good luck.

Telonius
2008-01-03, 06:21 AM
Oh man, blank pages. That's one of the few things that really intimidate me. :smalleek:

If you're really, really blocked, I'd suggest writing something else for awhile. Doesn't matter what it is. Short stories, abstract poetry, bad song lyrics. It really, really does not matter what it is. Maybe write some poem or story about a guy literally smashing a Writer's Block to pieces.

Maybe it would be helpful if you told us what happened when this writer's block of yours started. The first day you stopped writing, what were you doing?

Tormsskull
2008-01-03, 06:39 AM
Writer's block usually originates from a lack of ideas, I find. You are unable to think of a way to continue with the story. The best thing for me when this happens is to bombard myself with new books and movies. Usually when that happens, and new ideas are brought into my mind, I then twist them and mold them into something that barely resembles its inspiration, and then the writer's block can go away.

Good luck.

valadil
2008-01-03, 10:03 AM
I have two methods that usually work for me.

Skip the section that's blocking you. Like you said, writers block goes away eventually. Go be productive somewhere else while you can't write that one section. Hopefully you have an outline or at least some ideas of something else to work on.

Alternatively, force yourself to write the section that's bothering you, but don't dare hit the delete button. For me, writers block entails writing a sentence, deciding it's bad, then deleting and rewriting it. Wash, rinse, repeat. I know that the sentences you write while blocked won't be as good as the others. You'll know those sentences aren't as good too and as long as they're in your writing you'll remember them and they'll sit there irritating you. That irritation is a good thing though. It will force you to be thinking about those sentences constantly, even if somewhere in the back of your subconscious. When a solution does come to you you can easily go back and fix it, whereas if you'd deleted those sentences in the first place, they'd never have gotten stuck in your head in the first place.

Vondre
2008-01-03, 10:27 AM
This might be more appropriate for short-term writer's block, but I've broken a couple by doing free writing. Just grab a blank piece of paper and start writing. It doesn't matter if any of it makes sense (it probably won't). Just don't stop writing until you've filled up a page or so.

NotAboutBalance
2008-01-03, 10:46 AM
I agree with Vondre. I've had a very long writer's block before, and I just grabbed a piece of paper and wrote the first words that popped into my head. Try choosing a very broad subject first, as a prompt. e.g. The World, Environment, etc., ect.

Moxie
2008-01-03, 02:21 PM
For me, writing a book is a full involvement process. Sometimes it's as simple as just type.
Yeah right.

When I write, it's usually months after I've had the idea swirling in my head. I have a good idea on who most of the characters are there, what the place they're in is, and everything else. Writing for me is like designing a D&D campaign, and playing through it without involving die and stats. You need to know about NPCs, Main Characters, and everything else.

Subsequently, I often design campaigns to play as well as stories that I write. And it ends up as win-win, because you have motive for good story-telling with the campaign, and have the added benefit of your PCs invoking inspiration.

And it's cool. But sometimes you can't get a group that's willing to play through your campaigns. That is when it's most important to stay on the idea of your story. Have it in the back of your mind all the time, and do things that have to do with your story that isn't just writing.

I draw when stuck for a long time. I talk to friends about the story and listen to their ideas. I listen to music as I write, and choose songs that offer appropriate pacing for what I write.

And just sometimes, which is my biggest vice, you just loose interest in writing. I... have no advice on that.

Warshrike
2008-01-04, 01:39 AM
I'm a whim writer. When I write something, it's usually because I just sit back and think "Hell, You're writing somethig right no,w you haven't done so in a while". I then proceed to write random things until I get something I like, and then stop for a while. Usually after thinking about a girl, who I then list as that poems "Muse"

I did once have the problem of wanting to write but thinking everything was crap. I got around this by re-reading my favourite literature, replaying my favourite virtual storylines, and listening to my favourite songs. This led me to writing a short story in a roughly John Dies At The End type Horromedy universe which I planned to turn into a book but was too lazy.

The other times I'm write are after major events that happened to me or my friends and family.

I guss what I'm trying to get at;
What inspires YOU to write?? What is your inspiration?? Has something happened to it??

Haruki-kun
2008-01-04, 01:54 AM
I just tried venting out by writing non-stop in a blank page like several of you and a good friend of mine suggested. My mind tends to wander, I see. I bantered for 3 and a half pages about writing, my characters, my world, Hot Fudge, XKCD, Elfen Lied, the Playground, how I keep going back to correct spelling, how hungry I was, my influence from Japanese works, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Lord of the Rings, the fact that I don't speak Japanese, how fusion is spelled with one S, not two, and eventually, the strengths and weaknesses of the story.

I have to say thanks a lot, it really helpedme , but I'm not quite past it yet. I want to get past it completely and do some good block-less writing.

Maybe it would be helpful if you told us what happened when this writer's block of yours started. The first day you stopped writing, what were you doing?

*sigh* I remember it.

It was the first day of school this past semester. And that was pretty much it.

I got a crappy group, people I didn't really get along with. Eventually, I grew to like them a lot, but that was one or two months afterwards. The first few weeks all I thought was "this is going to be hell......" I'm not sure if it was that or just the fact that I was back to school......

Telonius
2008-01-04, 11:04 AM
Mwahaha, my fiendish plot to elicit a story from you has partially succeeded. Take that and run with it. :smallcool:

Miraqariftsky
2008-01-04, 11:38 AM
Hmm, why not just k'bang and drop that certain project you've been ounding at? Go for a trip and take a comlete break from whatever you've been working on. By then, ye'll probably have gotten new insights, new experiences, new wind and ye'll be ready ta give it another go. Or why not as other folk said, write something else?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-04, 11:40 AM
Writer's Block - of the long-term variety. It seems my Muse has quit her job without giving me her two-weeks notice. I haven't really been able to write more than outlines since.

Zakama
2008-01-04, 07:19 PM
Set one of the characters on fire, write about the outcome, and then slowly edit the fire part away until it makes sense. Unless you want him/her to be set on fire, that is. :smalltongue: Or just go with it and maybe it will give you some new ideas.

If that doesn't work, flip through the dictionary.

Metal Head
2008-01-04, 10:42 PM
Eat something truly vile. If you're lucky it'll make you vomit a lot, and if you have aim then try to hit the wall. Once you're done vomiting look for inspiration in the shapes formed by the vomit splattered all over your wall.

thubby
2008-01-04, 11:32 PM
something physical, pushups, walk my dog, and so on.

write random ideas, not even related to the story. if its a thought, get typing. (looks like 1/2 the people here beet me to that idea)

personally, i usually just have to change the music I'm listening to. I R music junky.

Flabbicus
2008-01-05, 12:04 AM
I would suggest watching Barton Fink by the Coen Brothers.

Comparitively your writer's block will feel a lot less significant. :P

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 01:38 AM
something physical, pushups, walk my dog, and so on.

write random ideas, not even related to the story. if its a thought, get typing. (looks like 1/2 the people here beet me to that idea)

personally, i usually just have to change the music I'm listening to. I R music junky.

Huh......... I hadn't thought of that.

I'll try that too.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-05, 02:05 AM
When I get writers block, I just start writing descriptions of random places, fortresses, forests, etc.

Or I write about epic battles between two of my major recurring characters, many of whom are gods.

So, yeah.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 02:12 AM
When I get writers block, I just start writing descriptions of random places, fortresses, forests, etc.

Or I write about epic battles between two of my major recurring characters, many of whom are gods.

So, yeah.

:smalleek:

I seem to have a lot of trouble writing battles and descriptions for some reason........ :smallsigh:

Conversations are my stronger point.

Felixaar
2008-01-06, 05:33 AM
Haruki, two peices of advice.

Well actually, one peice of advice and one joke peice of advice.

The first is writer's laxatives
*Ba-dum-bum-pish!*
It's alot funnier when you dont know its coming, I swear.

The second is, Do you have some one you write with or someone who reads what you write? Because that can really, really help. I personally dont suffer from writers block - I can basically write whenever and never run out of ideas. You may begin hating me now. But my co author is a frequent writers block sufree (I think he's just a Writer/Hypocondriach, but hey) so I know that the best way to be inspired is to talk about the project. Not necesarrily the scene your working on but just the project in general, can really get you motivated.

If you do have someone like this, who is deeply interested and willing to spend a lot of time just chatting amiably about your writings, good for you, do so with them more often. If you dont, I'm always interested in the work of others and my PM box is open to all y'all fellow writers.

And also, just out of curiosity, which type of writers block is it? The kind where you dont know what to do next in the story, or the kind where you DO know, but just cant put it into words?

(Also, that venting-into-a-blank-page-hypens-are-fun thing REALLY works, and its not just for writers block. It also works with emotional probelms or wanting to kill co workers. I know, trust me. Except I didnt murder that guy I swear, it was Larry. (Just realised I dont even know a Larry. Cruddles.))

rubakhin
2008-01-06, 08:51 AM
I knew a Larry. He was incredibly good-looking, in a real girlish kind of way. Had this long russet hair. Looked exactly like Caravaggio's Narcissus. You wouldn't expect a guy like that to be named Larry, but he was. Not Lawrence or anything, that would make more sense. Just Larry.

Damn, he was good-looking.

Anyway.

I too have writer's block, of a very specific sort. I thought I'd ask advice over here. I have to write a "fictional autobiography." In other words, I've got to write about myself doing something that never happened. I can come up with plenty of stuff that never happened, only I have no idea what I'm like or how to write me. It's damn weird, like having to write fanfiction for my own life.

How, er, do you figure out what you're like? If that question makes any sense. Which it doesn't. :smallsigh:

Dragonrider
2008-01-06, 11:32 AM
:smalleek:

I seem to have a lot of trouble writing battles and descriptions for some reason........ :smallsigh:

Conversations are my stronger point.

I agree. My mom and I have our own little writing club (except she has an agent, and will probably soon be published, whereas I...*ahem*) and have daily discussions about our books. She always says "whenever I can't think of something to write, I make up a conversation and everything moves from there.

So I just finished my "first novel". 88,000 freaking words. Well OK, I "finished" it two years ago, but I just brutally re-wrote it. It's still not good enough. After Mom read it, she said, "The writing is brilliant, but the plot...."

Then we got an idea. Most of the issues are in the first fifty pages, but without them, the rest doesn't make sense - so Mom's suggestion was, chop off the last chapter - where everything is "resolved" - and start a new book from there. I was unsure ("Throw them in at the middle?") but I ended up doing it and I'm really pleased.

Now I just need a plot that DOES make sense... >.>
And school to not start for another year or so...:smallsigh: It begins tomorrow.

dish
2008-01-06, 11:45 AM
It's damn weird, like having to write fanfiction for my own life.

Fanfiction? You said fanfiction? Well, then it's easy. Write yourself as the ultimate Marty Stu. Save the planet. Defeat the bad guys. Get the girl. Display an immense knowledge of all things animal, vegetable and mineral. And don't forget to show your tender side by rescuing a cat stuck up a tree. Or saving some orphans from a train crash.

Felixaar
2008-01-06, 06:59 PM
Rub, had he lost both his arms and part of his eye?
Also, just put yourself in a Zombie Apocalypse and lose yourself in the fun of it.

Dr, sounds cool, what kind of novel is it?

souldoubt
2008-01-06, 07:31 PM
I too have writer's block, of a very specific sort. I thought I'd ask advice over here. I have to write a "fictional autobiography." In other words, I've got to write about myself doing something that never happened. I can come up with plenty of stuff that never happened, only I have no idea what I'm like or how to write me. It's damn weird, like having to write fanfiction for my own life.

How, er, do you figure out what you're like? If that question makes any sense. Which it doesn't. :smallsigh:

That's quite simple really.

First off, think of a fictional situation, sans characters, such as, "A tidal wave strikes New England," or, "Zombies invade the lingerie department of a local mall." Then, drop your main character into that situation. Do not outline the story or plot it out ahead of time. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Just write.

(This Stephen King's primary method for writing a story. No joke. I don't read his novels, but I read his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. Good read, btw, I recommend it to any writers out there, whether or not you tend to follow this method.)

In this case, the main character you put into the situation is YOU. All you need to do is write how you would actually react to the various incidents arising out of your given situation. You just write stuff happening. Then you think, "Okay, how would I react to this? What would I try to do in this situation?" Don't over think things, and don't second guess yourself to much; I can't imagine you would have too much trouble getting into the head of a character who thinks and acts exactly like you do.

Personally, I prefer writing about characters who are different from myself, so I can't say this will necessarily be fun, but I'd think it should work. Good luck. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2008-01-07, 03:14 AM
And also, just out of curiosity, which type of writers block is it? The kind where you dont know what to do next in the story, or the kind where you DO know, but just cant put it into words?

I do know where it should go, but I can't put it into words.

I'm so sick of it............. I was so near the ending!

North
2008-01-07, 03:26 AM
try mixing together a bunch of random words and verbs till something fits.

Mmm letter stew

Ossian
2008-01-07, 03:52 AM
Aye, in a tough spot you are...
Technique and experience help. A change in your life, for good or bad, helps too (well, honestly a change for the better is more desirable and also what I wish you to experience in order to negotiate your W'sB). A different approach or simply letting it stay and settle for a while, like the sand you move on the sea bed with your flippers.

However, there is also another thing you might want to factor. Hardly ever our magically efficient brain shuts down certain areas without a good reason. It is also quite uncommon that anything in a human being stops function as it should and begins to give you problems. Creativity, if we want to be a bit more down on Earth, isn't any different.

So, whoever lives, hrives and dwells in that area of your brain where experience and feelings mix and take the shape of words and sentences, is probably uneasy with something and is trying to tell you that.

There is even the chance that he might not like what you have written tus far, and is giving you the relevant clues. It might be lovely, consistent, well planned and well developed until the WB, but maybe, and I stress the maybe, it's just not what you really want to write.

It's just my 2 dataries, but I found that sometimes, in my very personal and limited writing experience, admitting to myself that I did not LOVE what I was writing greatly helped to get past the WsB.

I wish you all the luck in that sense.

Ossian

Felixaar
2008-01-07, 04:54 AM

You're not my co writer, are you? Cause we're in our final chapter and he's like, died.

On second thoughts scratch that, He'd never win angel or be nominated for smile (good luck btw) itp.

What about the second-person thing I suggested?

And I second souldoubts recommendation of On Writing, and his suggestion of Zombies invading a Lingerie store.

souldoubt
2008-01-07, 06:59 PM
And I second souldoubts recommendation of On Writing, and his suggestion of Zombies invading a Lingerie store.
:smallbiggrin: Yay! Ego boost! :smalltongue:

Okay, but seriously, Haruki-kun. Based on my own writing experiences, there are THREE possible reasons why you're stuck where you are:

1) There is something wrong with the next part of the story. Last time I had serious writer's block, this was the case for me. I realized that the scene added nothing to the story as a whole, or was otherwise unnecessary to the story. Sometimes however, the scene isn't unnecessary, but just isn't clicking, and maybe won't click until you skip it and come back to it later. So, do that: skip it. Move on to some later part of the story that you're more comfortable with. You can always decide later on whether to scrap that scene you skipped or come back to it with renewed insight.

2) Something is wrong with some OTHER part of the story. This also happened to me not that long ago. Maybe it's something you have planned for the story further down the road, but I've found that it's usually something earlier on in the narrative that's bothering me. Things tend to work out once I go back and look over the earlier parts of the story, decide what's wrong, and fix it. However, if you want to maintain forward momentum on the story, you might consider just writing through the block -- it's painful, but it's possible. Also, sometimes whatever is wrong with the story simply can't be fixed, sad as it is. I believe Hemingway once said, "You must kill your darlings." If it's not working, kill it; sometimes, this means killing the whole project because it turns out to be too ambitious, or just unworkable for whatever reason. This also has happened to me, and to friends of mine who are also writers.

3) Something else is wrong which I have never thought of or never encountered. Personally, I suggest you focus on figuring out if your problem is one of the first two, since this last one is wide open, and as such, I have no advice for you. Not very useful, I know; in fact, I apologize for even putting this in here.

To make up for that third one, I will give some additional advice. While this certainly isn't for everyone, I find that if I go back over parts of what I've written so far, I can either figure out what's bothering me about the story, or else reinvigorate my writing juices and get myself back into the feel and flow of the story.

Also, pacing back and forth in deep thought can help sometimes too, but that's pretty hit or miss. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2008-01-07, 08:36 PM
I have semi-Writer's-block-not-really right now. :smalltongue: This happens with a lot of stories; I get so caught up in creating the world around them that I forget to write the story. On the other hand, whenever I eventually DO get back to writing, I've got a much richer background to draw on. My only trouble is remembering (and Tolkien was terrible about this) that some information CAN - and SHOULD - be kept back. So what happened a thousand years ago really isn't pertinant to the story (usually).

My real writer's block is actually having to write essays for my class. Yeah, sure, it has improved my writing skills a million, but I'd still prefer staring at a paragraph about the king's assassination (in my novel) to staring at a paragraph about the techniques so-and-so uses in his argument about steroids in American sports (my essay).

:smallannoyed:

thubby
2008-01-07, 09:08 PM

act it out...
your character is going to be doing it, doing it yourself gives you perspective, its also kind of hard not to be able to describe something you've done at least in the mechanical sense.
even talking, I recommend you do this with any talking scene anyway, as what you have written may look nice, but can come out rather strangely.

once again, music, find a song to fit the mood, then just sit back and enjoy it.

Uncle Festy
2008-01-07, 09:24 PM
suggestion @ Rubakhin:
Do you have someone else who can help you with your story? If so, you might want to try doing the story D&D style, with one person detailing events and the other dictating the main character's actions.
Just a thought.

Dragonrider
2008-01-07, 11:25 PM

For me, I often write characters who are too much like me. I think it's because I prefer to write in the first person. In your case, that might be an advantage..... :smalltongue:

I'm a huge advocate of dialogue over narrative. Show, not tell, and all that.
Usually if I'm having trouble defining a character, deciding upon a specific style for speech (whether in the first person or otherwise) helps me figure out who he or she really is. Write the character to talk like you.

:smallamused: wow, I'm helpful

@souldoubt: To further boost your ego, I will say that, I, too, do not read Stephen King's novels, but I, too, read and benefited enormously from On Writing. MORE VALIDATION!

Felixaar
2008-01-08, 05:35 AM
...but I'd still prefer staring at a paragraph about the king's assassination (in my novel) to staring at a paragraph about the techniques so-and-so uses in his argument about steroids in American sports (my essay). :smallannoyed:

Wow. I'd rather write a paragraph on how paint dries.

Also, VALIDATION HURRAH!

But is both of your lack of reading Stephen King's books just like a "haven't gotten around to it yet" or you dont actually like his books?