PDA

View Full Version : Movie Badasses

Thinker
2008-01-03, 10:35 AM
What are you favorite movie badasses? What qualifies him as a badass? List the movie and actor who played him.

List of Badasses:

Leonidas (300, Gerard Butler) - Standing up to an army of hundreds of thousands of Persians and stopping their advance for days. Never took no for an answer.
Marv (Sin City, Mickey Rourke) - A big dumb tough guy. Really liked nice jackets. Impressive interrogation techniques.
Billy Lo (Game of Death, Bruce Lee) - Ripped off Chuck Norris' chest hair before killing him. Bonafide badass!
Sergeant Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon, Mel Gibson) - He was an insane crackshot without a care in the world. Most dangerous guy on the force.
John McClane(Die Hard franchise, Bruce Willis) - Has had the worst luck of anyone alive ever and still can't be stopped.
The Terminator(The Terminator & T2, Arnold Schwartzenegger) - "Your clothes, give them to me."
T-1000(T2, Robert Patrick) - Anyone that could give '80s Schwartzenegger a run for his money and make it look easy is a badass.
Jack Burton(Big Trouble in Little China, Kurt Russel) - "Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
Sgt Todd(Soldier, Kurt Russel) - Marooned on a planet? Check. Compassionate? Check. Killed superhuman genetically created super soldiers? Check.
Ash Williams(Evil Dead, Bruce Campbell) - "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun"
Anton Shugur(No Country for Old Men, Javier Bardem) - Anyone he kills sees him exactly once - right before he blows them up with his air compressor. Pure evil badass.
First Cleric John Preston(Equilibrium, Christian Bale) - Highest body count of any movie character.
Beowulf(Beowulf, Ray Winstone) - Killed a dragon in the most awesome way possible.
Conan the Barbarian(Conan the Barbarian, Arnold Schwarzenegger) - because he's Conan the ****ing Barbarian.
Beau Brower(30 Days of Night, Mark Boone Junior) - because he hasn't met anything he can't kill.
The Predator (Predator, Kevin Peter Hall) - Takes out half the jungle, then fights Arnold hand-to-hand without his breathing mask and blows up the other half of the jungle when he loses. Plus he gets points for self-performed surgery.
Beatrix Kiddo (Kill Bill, Uma Thurman) - She kills four of the world's most dangerous people, not to mention the entire Crazy 88s. She kills people with no weapons and without the use of her legs, and she can make your heart explode.
Keyser Soze (The Usual Suspects, Kevin Spacey) - The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist
Domingo Chavez (Clear and Present Danger, Raymond Cruz) - "Sir, I'm a sniper, Sir, its my JOB to be a Sneaky Bastard, Sir!"
V (V for Vendetta, Hugo Weaving) - Gets shot about 500 times, but still has enough power to kill a squad of elite soldiers with knives before any of them is able to reload.
Doc Holiday (Tombstone, Val Kilmer) - Kilmer's greatest role "I'm your huckleberry"
Scorpion King (The Scorpion King, Dwayne Johnson) - A bit like Conan: big man, big bow, big sword.

Samuel L. Jackson list:

Shaft (Shaft, Samuel L. Jackson) - "He's one bad mother-"
Mace Windu (Star Wars, Samuel L. Jackson) - The only Jedi bad enough to use a purple lightsaber.
Jules Winnifeld (Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson) - "I don't wanna hear about no mother****in' ifs. All I wanna hear from your ass is, You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the mother****er. Go back in there, chill them ******* out and wait for the calvary which should be coming directly."

Harrison Ford list:

Han Solo (Star Wars, Harrison Ford) - Greedo totally didn't shoot first.
Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford) - Saved the world from the plots of the Nazis twice and defeated an evil Indian priest.
Jack Ryan (Patriot Games et al, Harrison Ford) - A spy with the brains to take on all comers.
Rick Deckard (Blade Runner, Harrison Ford) - "They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer."

Clive Owen list:

Dalton Russel (Inside Man, Clive Owen) - Criminal mastermind who performed the greatest bank robbery, got away with it, and then made it disappear.
Smith(Shoot 'em Up, Clive Owen) - Anyone who makes eating carrots look badass was made for this list.
Dwight McCarthy (Sin City, Clive Owen) - "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people." 'Nuff said.

Clint Eastwood's list:

Blondie (The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Clint Eastwood) - Playing "the good" is a matter of perspective. He cared about other people, but was still willing to kill them.
Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood) - Made the .44 Magnum revolver the gold standard of badasses. 'Nuff said.
Josey Wales (The Outlaw Josey Wales) - Peaceful killer becomes notorious Confederate killing machine when his family is murdered.
The Preacher (Pale Rider, Clint Eastwood) - The first preacher who can gunfight. Inspired all kinds of characters from movies and video games.
William Munny (Unforgiven, Clint Eastwood) - "Reformed" gunslinger and bandit shows that retirment is really just a break from the norm.

Charles Bronson list:

Paul Kersey (Death Wish, Charles Bronson) - Vigilante justice at its finest. Walks around at night to attract would-be muggers so he can kill them.
Bernardo O'Reilly (Magnificent Seven, Charles Bronson) - In a film surrounded by badasses he still stands out as one of the best.
Joseph Wladislaw (The Dirty Dozen, Charles Bronson) - "Killin' generals could get to be a habit with me."

I will add others' contributions to this post and if there are enough per actor separate the lists by actor. I'll also have more to add later. The numbers indicate volume, not rank.

Tweekinator
2008-01-03, 10:47 AM
John McClane(Die Hard franchise, Bruce Willis)
Smith(Shoot 'em Up, Clive Owen)
The Terminator(The Terminator & T2, Arnold Schwartzenegger)
T-1000(T2, Robert Patrick)
Jack Burton(Big Trouble in Little China, Kurt Russel)
Sgt Todd(Soldier, Kurt Russel)

None of these should need any explanation.

Thinker
2008-01-03, 02:29 PM
None of these should need any explanation.

Give them anyway :smalltongue:

MeklorIlavator
2008-01-03, 09:55 PM
Only movie? Still, I would suggest Badass (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Badass) which has a pretty good list.

My favorite would be from the books section though.

Many characters from Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, especially Raven, whom was famously described by the book's protagonist as follows:
"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest mother****er in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest mother****er in the world. The position is taken." This guy has a motorcycle with a side car that contains a thermo-nuclear device. The firing controls? In Connected to a life support sensor. Sure he's over the top, but he's a badass. Its a prerequisite.

Redpieper
2008-01-03, 09:59 PM
Ash Williams, evil dead...no need to explain now :smalltongue:

Callos_DeTerran
2008-01-03, 10:27 PM
Repo Man. Anybody who's job is to collect organs at nightfall (and is being paid for it nonetheless) is bad-ass. Especially since he's good at it.

SomethingElse
2008-01-03, 10:29 PM
How about Anton Shugur, from No Country for Old Men? That only works if Truly Evil (tm) badasses are allowed, though. He's definately bad-ass by definition, though; the men who are hunting him never even see him, and anyone he kills sees him exactly once - right before he blows them up with his air compressor. Yeah, seriously. It's like every D&D rogue psychopath munchkin player's dream, and every sane GM's nightmare. ( ;) )

Thinker
2008-01-04, 09:09 AM
I'll update the original post with your contributions :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2008-01-04, 09:14 AM
First Cleric John Preston: Highest body count of any movie character.

Beowulf: Killed a dragon in the most awesome way possible.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 09:40 AM
Repo Man. Anybody who's job is to collect organs at nightfall (and is being paid for it nonetheless) is bad-ass. Especially since he's good at it.

I'm not entirely sure Repo Man was badass. He was awesome and I loved the movie, but its been a while. What did he do that was badass?

Tweekinator
2008-01-04, 09:55 AM
I don't believe Emilio Estevez can be a badass. And I've seen Young Guns.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 10:04 AM
The original post has been updated. Any other nominations? There have to be more badasses :smalltongue:

Tweekinator
2008-01-04, 10:19 AM
Conan the Barbarian(Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer, Arnold Schwarzenegger) because he's Conan the ****ing Barbarian.

Beau Brower(30 Days of Night, Mark Boone Junior) because he hasn't met anything he can't kill.

Ossian
2008-01-04, 10:38 AM
Basically any character played by Samuel L. Jackson; probably the single Hollywood actor to be actually MORE badass than his characters and has to tune down his B.A.-ness to make it fit inside the movie.

Jules Winnifeld, Coach Carter, Mace Windu, Shaft....

They are sorry to shatter your ego, but this ain't the first time someone points a gun at them....

They are cloud layin mushrooms mofos, they are the guns of the Navarrone....

Tweekinator
2008-01-04, 10:44 AM
But he does dress kind of like a douche.

Muz
2008-01-04, 11:39 AM
Does this list include inhuman badasses (IHBAs?) If so, the predator from, well, Predator. (Or as some of us like to call him, "Teardrop.") :smallbiggrin: Takes out half the jungle, then fights Arnold hand-to-hand without his breathing mask and blows up the other half of the jungle when he loses. Plus he gets points for self-performed surgery.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 11:40 AM
Does this list include inhuman badasses (IHBAs?) If so, the predator from, well, Predator. (Or as some of us like to call him, "Teardrop.") :smallbiggrin: Takes out half the jungle, then fights Arnold hand-to-hand without his breathing mask and blows up the other half of the jungle when he loses. Plus he gets points for self-performed surgery.

All true badasses qualify and I think this one definitely fits the bill :smallcool:

Arang
2008-01-04, 11:51 AM
Beatrix Kiddo, aka The Bride, aka Black Mamba, aka Mommy. She kills four of the world's most dangerous people, not to mention the entire Crazy 88s (granted, there were only about 70 of them), surviving being buried alive, being shot in the head and living, presumably attacks by numerous assassins, and being trained by Mai Pei. She kills people with no weapons and without the use of her legs, and she can make your heart explode.

Scorpina
2008-01-04, 12:07 PM
Two words: Han Solo.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 12:34 PM
Two words: Han Solo.

If we're including Han Solo are we including Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, and Rick Deckard, too?

Scorpina
2008-01-04, 12:36 PM
If we're including Han Solo are we including Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, and Rick Deckard, too?

I don't know who those last two are, but I wouldn't say no to Jones, personally.

WalkingTarget
2008-01-04, 12:41 PM
I don't know who those last two are, but I wouldn't say no to Jones, personally.

Jack Ryan from Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger (and others, but those weren't played by Ford).

Deckard was his character in Blade Runner.

Robberbaron
2008-01-04, 01:00 PM
Clint Eastwood.

Charles Bronson.

Will think of others eventually.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 01:11 PM
Clint Eastwood.

Charles Bronson.

Will think of others eventually.

I agree that they both played some bad asses, but I'd need some roles for them to add them to this list.

What do people think of some of Clive Owen's other roles?

WalkingTarget
2008-01-04, 01:32 PM
I agree that they both played some bad asses, but I'd need some roles for them to add them to this list.

What do people think of some of Clive Owen's other roles?

Eastwood: Joe/Monco/Blondie from the Sergio Leone movies (FFoD, FaFDM, GB&U... I know they're technically separate characters, but people tend to ignore that), Harry Callahan from the Dirty Harry series, Josey Wales, The Preacher from Pale Rider, William Munny from Unforgiven (hell, the Saint of Killers was based on this role, at least in part). That's just a start.

Bronson: Paul Kersey from the Death Wish films, Bernardo O'Reilly from The Magnificant Seven (along with his compatriots). I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones here.

togapika
2008-01-04, 01:34 PM
Kaiser Sose (The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-04, 01:42 PM
If you're putting Mr. Ryan in, you can't forget Ding. Becuase hes Ding, its that simple.

Okay, so its more obious if you read the books, but, since you're using movies, let me use a quote:

"Sir, I'm a sniper, Sir, its my JOB to be a Sneaky Bastard, Sir!"
Oh, yes, his Real Name, becuase it looks better than "Ding" in a list.
Dimingo Chavez.

Tweekinator
2008-01-04, 01:48 PM
Bronson: Paul Kersey from the Death Wish films, Bernardo O'Reilly from The Magnificant Seven (along with his compatriots). I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones here.

Joseph Wladislaw from The Dirty Dozen, though that movie had it's share of badasses, especially Lee Marvin.

Zordrath
2008-01-04, 01:49 PM
Not sure about this one, but anyway: V from V for Vendetta (Hugo Weaving) - Gets shot about 500 times, but still has enough power to kill a squad of elite soldiers with knives before any of them is able to reload.

WalkingTarget
2008-01-04, 01:49 PM
If you're putting Mr. Ryan in, you can't forget Ding. Becuase hes Ding, its that simple.

Okay, so its more obious if you read the books, but, since you're using movies, let me use a quote:

"Sir, I'm a sniper, Sir, its my JOB to be a Sneaky Bastard, Sir!"
Oh, yes, his Real Name, becuase it looks better than "Ding" in a list.
Domingo Chavez.

Fixed that for you. Yes, Ding is the s***. Too bad the film version of John Clark/Kelly doesn't quite live up to the book version (not that he's not pretty good in the films either).

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-04, 01:52 PM
Fixed that for you. Yes, Ding is the s***. Too bad the film version of John Clark/Kelly doesn't quite live up to the book version (not that he's not pretty good in the films either).

Such a shame, isn't it? Thanks for the catch - I always write it "Ding", and gloss over his full name with "Ding" in my head when I read it.

Tibuis
2008-01-04, 01:58 PM
Hmmmm no one has said Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone....come on guys "I'm your huckleberry" this guy is killing people as he is hacking his lungs out....

Robberbaron
2008-01-04, 02:01 PM
Eastwood, Where Eagles Dare, forgot the character's name, also titular role in Kelly's Heroes.

Yul Brynner as Chris Adams in Magnificent Seven.

If you include Domingo Chavez, then you must include the original Snake, John Clark, but the dude they picked for him was a bit weak. Kind of wish they'd do Without Remorse, and pick a good match for him.

Muz
2008-01-04, 02:01 PM
I'm going to have to take exception to Indy. He routinely finds himself in over his head, unsure of what to do, stumbling through with more of a "I sure hope this works" attitude than a badass "anyone gets in my way and I'll beat the crap out of them" attitude. He's the classic "everyman."

I'd argue Han Solo, too, but one thing at a time. :smallsmile:

Robberbaron
2008-01-04, 02:58 PM
Scoprion King, The Rock, big man, big bow, big sword.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 03:47 PM
OP has been updated. Still need to add the Charles Bronson characters and double check the others, but I'm getting to them.

I'm going to have to take exception to Indy. He routinely finds himself in over his head, unsure of what to do, stumbling through with more of a "I sure hope this works" attitude than a badass "anyone gets in my way and I'll beat the crap out of them" attitude. He's the classic "everyman."

I'd argue Han Solo, too, but one thing at a time. :smallsmile:

Indiana Jones may not be an incredibly harsh badass, but much of what he does is badass. Getting called Junior by dad? Mow down a bunch of Nazis in anger. Want to get an artifact back from a bunch of looters? Raid their ship by yourself. He doesn't always go in with a plan, but his preferred method is to fight his way through it. Ever see one of his sword fights? :smalltongue:

Han Solo is a stereotypical scoundrel. He's untrustworthy, but has a good heart. Just because he's a good guy doesn't make him less badass.

Muz
2008-01-04, 04:11 PM
Maybe we need to define "badass." One of the first things that comes to mind for me in the definition of a badass is that they don't feel pain but rather shrug off injury like water off a duck's back. They're larger than life. Indy and Han? They both feel--and are affected by--physical pain. The big guy Indy gets pummeled by in ROTLA before he gets diced by the prop? THAT'S a badass. Heck, Indy's afraid of snakes and Han spends much of his time running from danger rather than confronting it. They're cool characters, but they're not badasses. :smallsmile:

Thinker
2008-01-04, 04:14 PM
Maybe we need to define "badass." One of the first things that comes to mind for me in the definition of a badass is that they don't feel pain but rather shrug off injury like water off a duck's back. They're larger than life. Indy and Han? They both feel--and are affected by--physical pain. The big guy Indy gets pummeled by in ROTLA before he gets diced by the prop? THAT'S a badass. Heck, Indy's afraid of snakes and Han spends much of his time running from danger rather than confronting it. They're cool characters, but they're not badasses. :smallsmile:

Badass is a fairly broad category. Some of them shrug of injury and keep on going. Others solve everything with violence or impetuence. Still more are just the best at what they do and make it look cool while doing it. If you're watching something and stop for a moment and think, "Wow, that was really badass!" the person probably qualifies. I can see a case for Han, but I think Indy squarely fits into the badass clique. There is plenty of room for debate, but one definition is too hard to come up with. We can simply take it on a case-by-case basis.

Muz
2008-01-04, 04:30 PM
So rather than define badass once we'll define it multiple times for each instance? Kay. :smallsmile:

...Though I still disagree on Han/Indy :smallwink: , but without any shared definition of badassery, there's no way to objectively debate it. However as I'm skewing modronic, I shall withdraw.

Thinker
2008-01-04, 04:38 PM
Sorry for any confusion, Munz. If you still don't like Han or Indy just make a case against them.

I added Bronson. More contributions are appreciated :smallsmile:

Muz
2008-01-04, 04:40 PM
Sorry for any confusion, Munz. If you still don't like Han or Indy just make a case against them.

But I already did. *points upward* No worries, though, it's your thread. :smallsmile:

Callos_DeTerran
2008-01-04, 08:25 PM
I'm not entirely sure Repo Man was badass. He was awesome and I loved the movie, but its been a while. What did he do that was badass?

Cold-blooded killing and removal of organs?

More then cool looking get up?

Singing while wearing cool get up and cold-blooded killing and removal and not just coming off as 'a bit odd' but still a friggin scary menace?

Holding a populace that routinely gets surgery, robs, and apparently kills in fear?

Thinker
2008-01-04, 09:01 PM
Cold-blooded killing and removal of organs?

More then cool looking get up?

Singing while wearing cool get up and cold-blooded killing and removal and not just coming off as 'a bit odd' but still a friggin scary menace?

Holding a populace that routinely gets surgery, robs, and apparently kills in fear?
I don't think we're talking about the same Repo Man. I'm talking about the one with Emilio Estevez from 1984. The cult classic that was really weird. Link. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/) Do you have a link to the one you are referring to?

Sotextli
2008-01-04, 09:19 PM
Herger the Joyous from the 13th Warrior, played by Dennis Storhøi. Quintisential badass who laughs while slaughtering inhuman enemies.

Now that I think of it, every single Northman was a badass, especially the older guy who SNAPPED A HORSE'S NECK with his bear hands.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-01-04, 09:48 PM
I don't think we're talking about the same Repo Man. I'm talking about the one with Emilio Estevez from 1984. The cult classic that was really weird. Link. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/) Do you have a link to the one you are referring to?

...I don't think we are either. I didn't even know there WAS a Repo Man like that. I meant the Genetic Repo Man from Repo! The Genetic Opera...can't really find a good link that'd go straight to an indepth summary of the show or the character...could always try finding the new trailer for it on You!Tube.

Doberler
2009-02-13, 01:42 PM
Repo Man/Nathan Wallace is a badass for the following reasons.

The Repo Man is the most feared person in the year 2057, a time when surgery is a fashion statement, and GeneCo, the world's only source of vital organs, has legalized the repossession of organ transplants who's financing goes over 90 days past due.

When this happens, A Repo Man finds you, and cuts you down on the spot.

Nathan Wallace (Anthony Stewart Head) Is the head Repo Man, and after a lifetime of loss and severe stress from his sick daughter and hidden life as the Repo Man he is slowly losing his mind.

After being pushed to the breaking point, he unleashes his fury on GeneCo and single-handedly cuts through the ranks of the GenCops using nothing more than a scalpel and various other surgical instruments.

Plus his costume is the most bad-ass surgical outfit ever.

Picture 1 (http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/bloodedcuspid/REPO%20GROUP/17042164-17042168-large.jpg)
Picture 2 (http://www.maplepictures.com/uploadedImages/Film_Catalogue/R__/Repo!_The_Genetic_Opera/01_300dpi.jpg)
Picture 3 (http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/reviews/caps/TheRepoMan.jpg)

Youtube Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzgpU25C6fg)
Wiki Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo!_The_Genetic_Opera)

Cespenar
2009-02-13, 02:52 PM
Just dropped by to say that I agree with Muz' point in defining "badass". Being cool and being badass are different things, you need to have an uncaring, angry, or "silent but deadly" thing going on if you want to be deemed badass. Wolverine, Marv and Batman are good examples (all comic books, but anyway). Indiana Jones and Han Solo are more "sympathetic rogues" to me, which are cool in their own way but not badass.

chiasaur11
2009-02-13, 03:08 PM
Lessee...
Mal Reynolds. Serenity. Awesomeness.
Ashley J Williams, Army of Darkness. He beat those Deadites... WITH SCIENCE!
Indiana Jones, 'course. Great in all three films.
Steve McQueen. In general.

Not a complete list, but the guys who came to mind.

Jimorian
2009-02-13, 05:03 PM
Charles Bronson as Harmonica in Once Upon a Time in the West.

The way he spooks Henry Fonda (Frank) by calling out names of people Frank has killed over the years, then playing that haunting harmonica song....

Then, when Frank's men turn on him, Harmonica helps him fend off the attackers. When the woman Harmonica is helping confronts him after with "You saved that pig's life, why?" his reply is one of the best lines ever.

"I didn't let them kill him, and that's not the same thing!"

Jack_Banzai
2009-02-13, 05:30 PM
Well, Vinnie Jones in just about every movie he's been in, of course. Big Chris in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch, Juggernaut in X3... he's as tough as he is tall and ugly. And he is tall and ugly.

Sonny Chiba. Whether he is The Street Fighter or Golgo 13, or even a mysterious swordmaker from Kill Bill, this is Japan's greatest movie badass.

Ken (played by Chow Yun-Fat) in A Better Tomorrow II. Sure, now everyone is sick to death of two-pistol madness, but even the world-weary cynic is sure to be amazed by the final firefight in Ko's mansion. All four of the heroes in the fray are shot multiple times, and Ken is the worst of the bunch. He is shot at least eight times in the fight and manages to rack up more kills than the other three, utilizing automatic weapons, a bunch of grenades, and of course his two-pistol style. Kudos also to Ho for bringing a knife (well, a katana) to a gunfight.

Fri
2009-02-13, 05:34 PM
I present

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/list.html

Warning: NSFW language. But that's the only nsfw thing from that site. Some of them are real people, and some are truly... bizarre... thingy (a rock. A badass rock) but each of them are real and true bad ass.

one movie example.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/connor.html

Ravens_cry
2009-02-13, 05:52 PM
Nominations:
Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver, Aliens)
Prods buttocks with extreme prejudice the insectile Alien queen with a walking forklift.
Bad Ass.

Federal District Marshal William T. O'Niel (Sean Connery, Outland)
His wife leaves him, his partners crooked, but he busts the company run drug ring of a multibillion dollar mining operation on Io, armed only with his badge, and a shotgun.
Bad Ass.

Cheesegear
2009-02-13, 06:25 PM
Bryan Mills (Taken, Liam Neeson).
Don't know why he hasn't been mentioned yet.

D_Lord
2009-02-13, 06:46 PM
We so need Darth Vader.
Come on, in the 4 and 5 he was great. He was the preultamite Dragon.
(ok 1,2,3 he wasn't so great but where he was first seen he was awesome)

Mando Knight
2009-02-13, 07:45 PM
'Nother one for the Harrison Ford list:

The President (can't remember his name) from Air Force One.

Verruckt
2009-02-13, 08:01 PM
Only movie? Still, I would suggest Badass (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Badass) which has a pretty good list.

My favorite would be from the books section though.
This guy has a motorcycle with a side car that contains a thermo-nuclear device. The firing controls? In Connected to a life support sensor. Sure he's over the top, but he's a badass. Its a prerequisite.

And he killed people with HARPOONS, the most manly of all weapons. If you disagree it just means you've never read Moby ****

chiasaur11
2009-02-13, 08:13 PM
And he killed people with HARPOONS, the most manly of all weapons. If you disagree it just means you've never read Moby ****

Not a movie, though. And if we start listing Snow crash characters we'll be here all week.

Dhavaer
2009-02-13, 08:34 PM
Boris the Blade, from Snatch. Took an enormous amount of punishment, including more than a full clip of bullets from a Desert Eagle, and it's never confirmed he's actually dead.

Pronounceable
2009-02-13, 08:43 PM
I sometimes wonder if people ever look at post dates...

On the other hand, I feel compelled to mention John McClane, Jason Bourne and Count Dooku.

Verruckt
2009-02-13, 08:43 PM
Not a movie, though. And if we start listing Snow crash characters we'll be here all week.

oh fine:

Preston is impressive, but he's not the best with a pair of Berettas, and he's certainly not the first. Ken Gor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4luNzaHZg) in one of the most impressive lead donation drives ever filmed.

Boris the Blade, from Snatch. Took an enormous amount of punishment, including more than a full clip of bullets from a Desert Eagle, and it's never confirmed he's actually dead.

I felt a disturbance in the Internets, like a thousand /k/ommandos cried out, and then silence. On that subject, Walt /K/owalski belongs quite firmly in Mr. Eastwood's stack of Badasses, by being the angriest man ever filmed, and for the weeping of many a manly tear. John Preston can show you how to kill a man, Walt will show you ho to be one.

chiasaur11
2009-02-13, 09:31 PM
I sometimes wonder if people ever look at post dates...

On the other hand, I feel compelled to mention John McClane, Jason Bourne and Count Dooku.

McClane, yes, a million times yes.
Bourne, sure, reasonable.
Dooku...
You musta smoked some bad granola, hippy!

Also, HAN-S from WALL-E. Massage Bot turned psychotic killing machine== YES.

Brewdude
2009-02-13, 09:55 PM
Did somebody say snake?

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Kurt Russel as both Snake Pliskin from Escape from New York, and Jack, from Big Trouble in Little China (okay, so he's more of a poser in BTILC, but what the heck).

Pronounceable
2009-02-14, 12:00 AM
McClane, yes, a million times yes.
Bourne, sure, reasonable.
Dooku...
You musta smoked some bad granola, hippy!

Dooku cut off the arm of the greatest mistake ever filmed. That counts in my book.

...I'd expect the forums' ghostbusters to be here by now.

Lorn
2009-02-15, 05:37 PM
John Preston (Equilibrium.) Played by Christian Bale.

Three words: Not without incident.

Said in response to "And now, we have lured you here... entirely without incident."

He then proceeds to massacre his way to the BBEG and engage in a gunfight with him at a range of approximately two feet after literally slicing someone's face off.

chiasaur11
2009-02-15, 05:49 PM
Dooku cut off the arm of the greatest mistake ever filmed. That counts in my book.

...I'd expect the forums' ghostbusters to be here by now.

On the other hand he got killed by Anakin "He ain't Vader" Skywalker in a solo fight. Even Mace "Sam L Jackson" Windu looked like a bit of a punk when he lost to him and the Emperor teamed up. Mind you, if Dooku had finished the job he'd be my hero. Just not all the badass.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-02-15, 06:01 PM
Ok, I know what I'm going to hear, but Lucius Hunt from The Village. A nightmare creature he's been raised to mess his pants at the thought of from birth comes at him and he grabs his girl and gets her the hell out of there. He goes into the woods and faces the thing down without blinking. He gets stabbed like 10 times without a word and survives. He then admits before the entire town that he feels he's responsible for angering them.

Bad-ass doesn't mean bulging muscles, super fighting prowess or a friggin' big sword. Sometimes it's just having balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJpJBKUf4k

BRC
2009-02-15, 06:02 PM
I second Kaiser Soze, Cinema history is full of badasses who blow things up, but not many who
Note: DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE USUAL SUSPECTS, if you havn't, go watch it now. I'm not kidding.

Really, I'm not kidding here, don't open this unless youve seen the movie.

Deceive the audience and the other characters throughout the entire film, making you question how much of what you just saw actually happened.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-02-15, 06:10 PM
Any Guy Ritchie character, except the main heroes, pretty much.

UncleWolf
2009-02-15, 07:51 PM
Kurt Russel as MacReady from John Carpenter's The Thing

ClericPreston
2009-02-20, 03:45 AM
I am going to second the vote for Snake Plissken. Escape from New York was awesome. Escape from LA was not very good, but Snake's "Bangkok Rules" shootout with four assault-rifle armed thugs was pretty cool.

The next person on my list is Josey Wales. Watch the scene where he guns down two bounty hunters who already have the drop on him, pure AWESOME!!

How we have gotten this far in the thread with no mention of the WILD BUNCH I have no clue. Pike, Dutch, and the Gorches redefine badass by making one of the most awesome last stands in film history, by killing half of mexico.

My last vote goes to my namesake, not just for the reasons mentioned by previous posters, but also because he slaughtered at least 10 future-nazis for the sake of a cute little puppy.

late for dinner
2009-02-25, 06:10 PM
Kevin from Home Alone: Umm...He kicked the crap out of Master Gangster Joe Pesci...with his brain and awesome traps

Mr._Blinky
2009-02-25, 06:19 PM
Kevin from Home Alone: Umm...He kicked the crap out of Master Gangster Joe Pesci...with his brain and awesome traps

You know, I have a theory that that kid actually grew up to be the guy from Saw...

Rutskarn
2009-02-25, 09:10 PM
Kurt Russel as anything.

At all.

aXane
2009-02-27, 01:31 PM
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

You'll say he "risked his life for love"

I'll retort with "he marched through an energy wave that slaughtered hundreds, and came out unscathed with his Rated-R parts still covered"