PDA

View Full Version : New Webcomic Advice

The Extinguisher
2008-01-03, 07:13 PM
Now, I don't have any pictures yet, but to give you a reference, my art style can be described as minimalistic at best, and terrible at worse. But lets continue.

The comic is called The Adventures of Boxcat and Friends. Which is exactly what it means, and really should require no explaining. Except that Boxcat is a cubular cat, one of the friends in a talking zipper and the world they live is just a little bit Non-Euclidean. Just a bit, because anything is hard to draw.

The first comic is as such: They are floating through space.
Boxcat: We should create a game.
Space Zipper: Why? What's the point?

SZ: I mean, even if we do think of something, we can't actually make it.
BC: That doesn't make any sense.

SZ: Actually it does. We don't have any working hands or arms. Because, I'm a zipper and your a cat.

BC: Good point.
SZ: Besides, you know my PhD is is biology. How would that help.

The second comic consists of them playing Guitar Hero.

So, what do you think. Decent, or doomed to failure?

Rockbird
2008-01-04, 02:12 PM
You know, it's probably slightly hypocritical (Having a comic in the works myself...) of me, but i'd say Doomed to Failure (tm). Not really because of the actual content (Although the internet doesn't need more gaming comics. It bloody well doesn't.) so much as the vast oversaturation of the "market", if you will. Of course, if you have some damn good jokes (and i mean damn good) or artwork it could work, put probably not even then. :smallannoyed:

Still, if you find it enjoyable to do, and aren't after fame and glory, go for it anyway. As long as someone finds it enjoyable, you've succeeded at least partially :smallwink: .

The Extinguisher
2008-01-04, 05:26 PM
Well, it's not going to be a gaming comic, so I think that solves one problem.

Waf
2008-01-04, 05:36 PM
Personally I'd try to go less meta/strange on the very first comic. Set up a joke that makes sense with a beginning middle and end and if you want it to have a bizarre twist stick it as a non-sequitor at the very end. The first comic is the hardest to write so it's hard to come up with any good advice. Course you can always just try whatever you can come up with and see what works and go with that. That's what I did. :smallbiggrin:

HealytheHealslime
2008-01-04, 10:04 PM
Your ideas are at least minimally funny, and they'll hopefully improve with time. However, just to be safe, I'd suggest working a little harder on your ideas for your other comics.

Also, your comic kinda reminds me of Twisp and Catsby from Penny Arcade, but I'm sure that's probably unintentional.

Eco-Mono
2008-01-05, 09:32 PM
1) Update at least once weekly.
2) Update at least once weekly.
3) In fact, you might want create a body of work ahead of time, and post the first 20 or so as if you'd been updating for a while.
4) Try not to give in to the temptation of copying other peoples' surreal humor; it's the one thing that can't be passed off as surreal.

Once your comic has a cult following (normal for Dadaist webcomics that have existed for a while), you may safely ignore rules 1 and 2, switching to a "new comic when I feel like it" distribution model ala Pokey the Penguin. But until then, you need to keep people coming back, and updates are a good way to do that.

Jayngfet
2008-01-23, 02:14 PM
seems like a fairly average comic, you've got to update very regularly to attract readers, and then don't miss updates, in a market this hgh and full of others its hard to survive without some gimmick and regular schedule.

and how do they play guitar hero?

Elliot Kane
2008-01-25, 06:15 PM
As long as you regularly update, you're in with a chance. People read web comics for many reasons - the story, the art, the humour - could be anything.

Regular updates mean your readers know when to look, and with so many people online it's then a case of building your fan base over time.

It's always worth trying, because you can't really know what will or won't work unless you try :)

Good luck! :)