PDA

View Full Version : Double Smiting

Chrismith
2008-01-03, 11:40 PM
Question: If a character has two separate smite abilities from two different classes, could both of them be applied simultaneously, assuming that the target met the requirements for both abilities? For example, suppose a Paladin/Justicar of Tyr is facing a chaotic evil enemy. Could both Smite Evil and Smite Anarchy be applied on a single attack, or would they have to be used one at a time?

Kristoss
2008-01-04, 07:07 AM
I think the key here is that the bonus to damage is untyped. Usually untyped bonuses stack just like divine grace and the nymphs unearthly grace ability.

Kizara
2008-01-04, 07:36 AM
Another example would be a paladin 1/cleric of st cuthbert 1.

I look at it this way:

1) Does smiting take a special action (like a swift action)? Answer: no.

2) Does smiting have a damage type or any text indictating it doesnt stack with other smites? Answer: No.

Thus, it should stack.

Also, I can't recall where at all, but I'm mildly certain that I've seen this actually addressed in RAW somewhere, and saying that it does indeed stack.

Adumbration
2008-01-04, 07:40 AM
If you want a triple smite, you could take Killoren race. One of it's aspects has a smiting ability against enemies of nature.

Kristoss
2008-01-04, 10:32 PM
pg 21 of DMG

Quote Different named bonus types all stack, but usually a named bonus does not stack with another bonus of the same name, except for dodge bonuses and some circumstance bonuses.end Quote

The RAW are silent on unnamed bonuses so one has to assume they stack.

Necromas
2008-01-04, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty sure there was an official ruling that unnamed bonuses stack, otherwise there'd be much turmoil in the character optimization boards.

Gralamin
2008-01-04, 10:39 PM
DMG Is not the primary source for bonuses, the primary source I believe is the PHB, and this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm).

Tequila Sunrise
2008-01-04, 11:06 PM
I think of it this way: would allowing this cause an unintentional loophole in the rules or create some other anti-balancing factor in the game? In this circumstance I'd say no, because smite damage is always based on class level so a multiclassed smiter won't be dishing out more damage than a single classed smiter. I wouldn't however, allow the Cha to attack roll to stack (I'm assuming the Justiciar has a similar bonus), as that would make the multiclassed smiter definitively better than the single classed smiter.

Chronicled
2008-01-04, 11:10 PM
I think of it this way: would allowing this cause an unintentional loophole in the rules or create some other anti-balancing factor in the game? In this circumstance I'd say no, because smite damage is always based on class level so a multiclassed smiter won't be dishing out more damage than a single classed smiter. I wouldn't however, allow the Cha to attack roll to stack (I'm assuming the Justiciar has a similar bonus), as that would make the multiclassed smiter definitively better than the single classed smiter.

Meh, I'd allow them (and any other attack roll bonus) to stack. If they're multiclassing, they're unlikely to have more than 1 (maybe 2) smites per day, and they're putting all their eggs in one basket.

Also... Killoren Cleric with Destruction domain/Paladin/Justiciar/Crusader. Quintiple smite! (Some restrictions may apply. Void where prohibited by alignment.)

herrhauptmann
2008-01-05, 03:07 AM
Meh, I'd allow them (and any other attack roll bonus) to stack. If they're multiclassing, they're unlikely to have more than 1 (maybe 2) smites per day, and they're putting all their eggs in one basket.

Also... Killoren Cleric with Destruction domain/Paladin/Justiciar/Crusader. Quintiple smite! (Some restrictions may apply. Void where prohibited by alignment.)

For extra cheese, add in the half celestial template.:smalltongue:

AslanCross
2008-01-05, 03:30 AM
I'm pretty sure there's an ability somewhere that says different kinds of smite stack, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me.

Though yes, by core the bonuses are untyped, so they should stack.