PDA

View Full Version : Whats that smell?

BizzaroStormy
2008-01-04, 02:03 AM
Today I was sitting with my hand next to my face and I smelled a wierd smell that I never got before. I can't even think of where I picked it up. It's kind of like if you stick your hand into a pumpkin, then stick it into hot sauce, neither of which I've even been near in a few months.

Discuss Strange smells.

BlackMage2549
2008-01-04, 04:44 AM
Wet Dog + Week Old Skunk Spray on Said Dog + Dog's Breath + Freshly Baked Cookies + Cinnamon.

Honestly can't even begin to describe it.

Charity
2008-01-04, 05:00 AM
This thread smells quite like a potted meat product.

CrazedGoblin
2008-01-04, 05:30 AM

hehe:smallbiggrin:

CrazedGoblin
2008-01-04, 05:32 AM

hehe:smallbiggrin:

Trog
2008-01-04, 12:03 PM
*wanders obliviously through thread*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-04, 12:06 PM
People say my back yard smells like weed, we have never found it though.....

Koji
2008-01-04, 02:00 PM
I have been exposed to the fumes from my model glue for a little too long and...well they smell gross, but they make the thread funnier.

time to put the minis down

Diva De
2008-01-04, 02:03 PM
My husband's crazy 93-year-old grandma shot two holes in her wall because she thought there was someone in her house. Afterwards, we went over to rake her yard for her, and we smelled marijuana EVERYWHERE. That might explain why she shot at my hubby that one night...

WrstDmEvr
2008-01-04, 06:41 PM
My sisters Latin textbook smelled like wet turf yesterday.

Dragonrider
2008-01-04, 06:46 PM
My house smelled like lighter fluid this morning because my brothers were playing with fire. We opened alll the windows (though the wind was blowing and it was NOT WARM out) and now it smells comfortably like fresh-baked muffins (unsurprising since I just did bake muffins) and old house (a good thing...woodsmoke, comfortable creaky floors, and soft quilts kind of smell).

My room smells like paint though. I decided my doors needed a color switch (reminds me...I gotta do a second coat....)

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 02:54 AM
There's a room in my house with a weird smell that comes and goes..... I just don't get it.

It smells like moisture, I think, but I don't know where it comes from.

Serpentine
2008-01-05, 03:07 AM
There's a room in my house with a weird smell that comes and goes..... I just don't get it.

It smells like moisture, I think, but I don't know where it comes from.The room in the middle of my house smells of damp, too. I got a damp-sucking plastic bucket thingy and it's mostly gone away (it's full of water, now).

Icewalker
2008-01-05, 01:34 PM
Once a spot in the yard of my elementary school would occasionally smell like raspberries. Yeah...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-05, 01:41 PM
I once helped out a friend whose chicken houses had been hit by a tornado. Trying to capture the live ones while wading through 2-day rotting chickens in manure mud bubbling with methane is something I never wish to experience again.

Dragonrider
2008-01-05, 01:44 PM
The room in the middle of my house smells of damp, too. I got a damp-sucking plastic bucket thingy and it's mostly gone away (it's full of water, now).

You mean a dehumidifier? :smalltongue:

Smeik
2008-01-05, 02:14 PM
3 day old sausage water, placed in a glass on a computer who was running for these 3 days, with some cigarette ashes in it produce a very awesome smell also.

Timberwolf
2008-01-05, 02:53 PM
About 5 years ago, right at the end of a particularly hard Ju Jitsu session, I dislocated my knee. I get taken to Accident and emergency but as it's 11 Pm by the time I get there, all they can do is stick me in a temporary cast and send me home to attend the "Childrens Spine Clinic" the next day. (I was 19 with a destroyed leg but there you go.) Because of the nature of the cast (full leg job, do not get it wet) and the fact it was 1 am by the time I got out of the hospital, this meant no shower for Wolfie. I attend the next day and they give me the glad tidings, a month in a full leg cast so off I go to get done up. I ask the lady who did it what to do about showers and she gives me this ordering leaflet for these cast protectors that in fairness are the absolute business but take 3 days to turn up. She also told me on no account to use plastic bags, they're not big enough to protect the whole cast. So, again, no shower for Wolfie and because the cast was protecting the knee, no bath either.

By the time my cast protector arrived and I was able to go for a nice, long monopolise of the bathroom, I smelt pretty ripe. However, that smell was nothing compared with the removal of the cast after the month was up. Seeing this pale, wasted leg that smelt so bad, there are no words to describe what month old sweat smells like. Really there aren't.

Jibar
2008-01-05, 02:53 PM
Our study (the room with the computer in it) has this smell you can walk into.
It's not a bad smell though. It's just the result of poor ventilation and far too much time spent on the internet.
Walking out the room after an hour or two feels real weird though.

Dragonrider
2008-01-05, 03:53 PM
MY BROTHER'S ROOM STINKS! :smallyuk:

(did I say that out loud? :smalleek::smalleek:)

*ahem*...if you pop into this thread by any chance...I really didn't mean it! :smallbiggrin:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-05, 04:21 PM
There's a weird smell on occasion on the highway my father and I drive over when going home in the same spot, though it shifts slightly now and then and sticks around aaaall year. When we take this one curve, the scent of carrion is always there...

BizzaroStormy
2008-01-05, 08:07 PM
For the next 9 weeks im going to be smelling like chlorine (mandated swimming class) But another thing is that whenever i eat Steak & Potato Chunky soup, I get the smell of cigarette smoke and vomit. Its basically like theres a party in my mouth and everybody is passed out.

Archangel Yuki
2008-01-05, 09:39 PM
I have been exposed to the fumes from my model glue for a little too long and...well they smell gross, but they make the thread funnier.

time to put the minis down

I love the smell of mini glues on my Necrons in the morning. Smells like...victory.

Also, I just cruized the Midway, an old Aircraft carrier. Smells like jet fuel.

Serpentine
2008-01-05, 11:56 PM
You mean a dehumidifier? :smalltongue:Aren't they machine-things? This is a plastic container with little chemical beads that suck up the moisture and deposit it in the bottom. I guess I could post a picture... it's fairly impressive/gross how much water it's collected.

A friend of mine in the residential college's room smelled as though a bear pissed in it (not that I've ever smelled bear piss, but that's what it made me think of). He'd open his window for 10 minutes a day and deem that efficient... and that was only after much complaining :smallyuk:

Raiser Blade
2008-01-06, 12:36 AM
Has anyone here ever driven past a duck farm?

:smalleek:

The smell is so strong you cover your nose while driving past the place with your windows rolled up.

KerfuffleMach2
2008-01-06, 12:40 AM
I can't smell much of anything anymore. This is because of my job. Part of it requires filling propane tanks. After a while, you just can't smell anything.

North
2008-01-06, 01:39 AM
Coffee Crisps. I dont know why but I just cant stand them.

Felixaar
2008-01-06, 05:43 AM
...now it smells comfortably like fresh-baked muffins (unsurprising since I just did bake muffins)...

oooh! oooh! Can I have a muffin? I've been good.

Now I work in a supermarket, so I constantly get the smell of cookies. I've learnt that over time, smelling cookies will actually make you gain weight.

Or that might be buying the cookies AFTER smelling them.
...Wow, I never even thought of that before.

Also our old Caravan Park site smelled like... Im not sure. Sort of like a Banana-Lemon juice, so I dont really know.

Groundhog
2008-01-06, 08:18 AM
My middle school (which I am now thankfully free of) had a weird smell to it. I couldn't tell, because I went there every day and eventually got used to it, but my mom always complained that when I came home, I smelled funny. My dorm fridge has a strange smell too, and it's not from the food. Any ideas what that might be?

Raistlin1040
2008-01-06, 12:18 PM
My house smells like updog.

I'm told my room stinks, but I can't tell.

Groundhog
2008-01-06, 12:35 PM
My house smells like updog.

We're not going to fall for that.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-06, 06:02 PM
*wanders obliviously through thread*

*wanders even more obviously through thread*

:smallamused:

BizzaroStormy
2008-01-06, 06:51 PM
*looks at smellie_hippie* oh, thats what that smell was.

Felixaar
2008-01-06, 07:07 PM
My middle school (which I am now thankfully free of) had a weird smell to it. I couldn't tell, because I went there every day and eventually got used to it, but my mom always complained that when I came home, I smelled funny. My dorm fridge has a strange smell too, and it's not from the food. Any ideas what that might be?

If your anything like me its the dead bodies.

Kidding, I swear.
I'll stop next week, promise

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-01-06, 10:25 PM
Do literary examples count?

The smell in Ankh-Morpork can only be described by metaphor:

Take a tartan. Sprinkle it with confetti. Light it with strobe lights.

Now take a chameleon.

Put the chameleon on the tartan.

In real life, though, I used to smell a strange smell that nobody else could. It would suddenly appear linger for a moment, then vanish. It went away after a week or so.

SurlySeraph
2008-01-06, 10:28 PM
Meh. I have a very weak sense of smell, so I never really notice bad smells until they're strong enough to choke people who have good senses of smell.

Midnight Son
2008-01-06, 10:59 PM
;3758076']In real life, though, I used to smell a strange smell that nobody else could. It would suddenly appear linger for a moment, then vanish. It went away after a week or so.Did you shave?http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/rimshot.gif

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-07, 04:45 AM
*wanders even more obviously through thread*

:smallamused:pssst, he said 'obliviously', not 'obviously'.

By far the worst smell I ever had to endure was when I was stationed in Korea. Just off post, I mean right up to the fence, there was a dog farm (and yes, by 'farm' I mean they raised them as food, not as pets). That was bad enough, because livestock tends to not smell good anyway. But one day it burned down and the smell of it afterwards was the most horrible odor I've ever experienced.

Sunshine13
2008-01-08, 02:17 AM
My room smells of pee, but there's no mystery behind that. :smallredface:

Serpentine
2008-01-08, 02:33 AM
My room smells of pee, but there's no mystery behind that. :smallredface:... :smallconfused: :eek:

I can't stand air fresheners :smallyuk: A friend of mine always had one going in her college room which meant I couldn't stay in there for very long before I started to feel sick. I think there's something in the library, too, that makes me start to feel ill after a while :smallfrown: I think it's a spot down near the DVDs, and the fact that by the time I get used to the smell out the back I'm posted out the front again.

BizzaroStormy
2008-01-08, 03:57 AM
Ya know the smell of a really old book? Like the crappy paperbacks they pass out at school which are about 15 years old. Hate that smell.

Tormsskull
2008-01-08, 06:54 AM
Yeah, a bad smell is halabut (fish), thrown into the garbage, and forgotten to be taken out before I left for work in the morning. When I got home at night, wow.

Also, a good smell, I don't know about anyone else but I've always liked the smell of sulfur. Like when you put out a match, that burning sulfur smell.

The Unknown
2008-01-08, 07:06 AM
Smells like teen spirit

Gem Flower
2008-01-09, 08:11 AM
For some reason the sponge in my bathroom smells faintly of pool water. I can't think where that smell might have attached to it, because it hasn't left my bathroom.

Nebo_
2008-01-09, 08:36 AM
My brother found a dead... something on the road one day. He put it in the mulcher and threw up as he did so. He then put it in a jar an left it to stew for a few weeks. I'll leave the rest to your imaginations.

Jagg
2008-01-09, 09:44 PM
My young daughter has a pet rat.

Pet rat eats ANYTHING

Pet rat SHOULD eat nourishing kibble, grains, liver treats, and fresh fruit and vegetables.

Pet rat WAITS until fresh fruit and vegetables is no longer fresh before eating.

Pet rat has been known to eat own poo.

Pet rat once lost all it's hair..

Then ATE own hair.

pet rat gets bathed regularly coz pet rat STINKY