PDA

View Full Version : Site down/up/down/up

TheMeanDM
2008-01-04, 07:35 AM
I'm curious to know why quite often lately (not every time, but most times) the site seems to have severe problems after Rich puts up a new comic?

Today for instance.

Comic was up fairly early in the morning (between 9 and 9:30 AM, CST).

The Forums were taken down for a couple hours.

Site *still* had loading issues for me all day, until about 7 pm CST.

Server load? Site load?

Just curious to know why this has been happening during the past few weeks on a fairly consistent basis.

It's frustrating :smallfrown:

Castaras
2008-01-04, 08:27 AM
Site load, and forum load. Too many people. These forums and comics are too popular. =P

Tormsskull
2008-01-04, 09:32 AM
Yeah, it is very frusrating. I think it was brought up before about offering to donate towards a new server or new equipment or new whatever-is-needed, but nothing came of it.

StickMan
2008-01-04, 12:44 PM
Yeah, it is very frusrating. I think it was brought up before about offering to donate towards a new server or new equipment or new whatever-is-needed, but nothing came of it.

I think the reason why is because if Rich set some kind of donation like that up he would get even more of the jerks who post "where is the comic!!! Your violating my rights as a customer of this website cause I bought X one time, yada ya da I'm a jerk ya da..." I don't think he wants to add a I donated money option to that rant. Sure I would do it as I spend so much time on this forum, as I'm starting to get annoyed when there is a new comic as it upsets my posting. Some how I never thought I'd be annoyed when there was a new stick, life is funny that way.

Winterwind
2008-01-04, 02:41 PM
I think this time, the problem was that not only the new OotS came online, but also the new Erfworld at the same time. Which kinda surprised me, for I remember Rich specifically saying he would not do that, and if need be deliberately delay one of the two comics, so that precisely what happened yesterday would not happen.

I was pretty frustrated myself, too, when writing 5 PMs took me more than an hour due to the server issues, but ultimately I decided to consider it a lesson in humility to not take the goodness of these forums for granted. :smallcool:

DeathQuaker
2008-01-04, 05:08 PM
I think this time, the problem was that not only the new OotS came online, but also the new Erfworld at the same time. Which kinda surprised me, for I remember Rich specifically saying he would not do that, and if need be deliberately delay one of the two comics, so that precisely what happened yesterday would not happen.

I haven't seen a lot of regular updates, so he might have wanted to just update both while he was at his computer and had the chance.

There's still server issues today, though, which seems a little odd.

de-trick
2008-01-04, 08:30 PM
I get frustrated then think that its a free forum, with a sick owner so I deal with it, watch some tv, play a video game, or go on a different site. I say wait the storm out.

Deepblue706
2008-01-05, 11:34 AM
Yeppo. A bit annoying. I'm not fuming, but it sucks that after I finish typing a post or PM I have to copy and paste everything so that if I happen to get "Page Cannot Be Displayed" (and my post/PM is thusly never made), my time isn't completely wasted.

Jibar
2008-01-05, 03:52 PM
The only thing I find strange is the site always goes down for me between 9:05am to 9:23am Correct Time.
Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just my internet being very picky?

Winterwind
2008-01-05, 04:18 PM
The only thing I find strange is the site always goes down for me between 9:05am to 9:23am Correct Time.
Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just my internet being very picky?I noticed this, too, at those very times. I assumed it was the servers having a 24-hours-disconnect, or something like that.

North
2008-01-05, 10:56 PM
Hmmm if it is an old server issue, I would donate/bribe towards a new one.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-05, 11:04 PM
Is there any particular reason for this, or is it just my internet being very picky?
Gotta assume automatic maintenance/backup of some sort.

Castaras
2008-01-06, 05:37 AM
Gotta assume automatic maintenance/backup of some sort.

Yeah, it is. I asked a question about that a while ago. Lemmie see if I can find the thread...

Edit: Ding (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40753)

It's the nightly back-up of the site, particularly the message board. It's scheduled to happen in the middle of the night in the US, where the substantial majority of our readers live, which unfortunately isn't as convenient for the rest of the world. (Not much we can do about that, since it has to be done SOME time.) It is, however, 4 hours after new comics usually get posted, so that it doesn't interfere with people reading it.