PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga: GIR as a Droid?

Zim
2008-01-04, 09:23 AM
Hey all,

Just putting a character concept out there for you to think about. I was thinking about putting together a droid character for SWS using the GIR robot from Invader Zim as a base. Thing is that I know squat about making a good character build for Star Wars. If anyone wants to toss in some suggestions, that'd be cool. So far, I have the general concept:

G1-R, small droid
Basically a humanoid version of an astromech droid (jets, repair tools) only with hands, and speech. Part repair droid, part personal assistant, only crazy due to a run in with an overcharged restraining bolt. He's not stupid, he's advanced.
I figure he would be a scout or scoundrel, but I don't know.

Talya
2008-01-04, 11:33 AM
personal assistant droid

"She...really likes her droid." ~ Carth Onasi

Zim
2008-01-04, 11:39 AM
That's very...not good.

So, I assume there is no "Dancin' like a monkey" or "I'm gonna sing the Doom Song" talent trees?

SpikeFightwicky
2008-01-04, 11:40 AM
He'd probably have alot of internal storage space (for keeping... space tacos? or Tatoine Cupcakes or something). Whenever he's given a command, there should be a low chance (1% to 5%?) that he enters 'Duty Mode' and does what he's supposed to do efficiently. I'll have to go through the droid section again to get any solid ideas.

Zim
2008-01-04, 11:43 AM
That's where I keep the space tuna.

I'd like to keep the crazy/stupid/advanced behaviour as an RP thing. Duty mode will be entered when I wanna. The rest is "I love this show!" and "I saw a Squirrel!"

Any thoughts on the actual build? Droid accessories? I want to begin at the starting level.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-01-04, 11:55 AM
That's very...not good.

So, I assume there is no "Dancin' like a monkey" or "I'm gonna sing the Doom Song" talent trees?

I don't recall 100%, but I'm pretty sure there are a 'perform: dance' and 'perform: sing' skills, but those are only for proffesional versions. I don't think GiR needs any actual skill points the way he sings/dances :smallbiggrin:

I don't have access to my book right now... I'll defiantely look it up when I get home, though. This is too fun not to!

Zim
2008-01-04, 12:19 PM
Thanks Spike!

Lemur
2008-01-04, 01:47 PM
I always GIR was more as Tiny sized. He's smaller than Zim, who is obviously small himself. Although it is a cartoon, and their relative size can be somewhat variable as a result. Of course, making him Tiny in Star Wars presents the problem that he can't have any internal storage area, which GIR has in ample supply.

I don't think GIR is actually any heroic class. He should probably be statted as a nonheroic. An actual SIR unit could be statted as a scout, but it could also be done as a nonheroic class as well, as most droids fall under that category. Or maybe I misunderstood and this is for a PC droid rather than an owned droid. If that's the case than scoundrel with Fortune/Misfortune talents seems the most GIR-like to me.

GIR should have perception-boosting equipment, such as improved sensors and Darkvison. Neither GIR nor SIR units seem to have any tools (unlike astromechs), unless you count the deadly weaponry (circular saws, lasers, etc.) that SIRs tend to have. GIR seems to have laser eyes (probably represented as some variety of blaster pistol) although he only seems to use them in serious-mode.

Zim
2008-01-04, 02:30 PM
GIR should have perception-boosting equipment, such as improved sensors and Darkvison. Neither GIR nor SIR units seem to have any tools (unlike astromechs), unless you count the deadly weaponry (circular saws, lasers, etc.) that SIRs tend to have. GIR seems to have laser eyes (probably represented as some variety of blaster pistol) although he only seems to use them in serious-mode.

I want to make him a droid PC, and I'd like to avoid a direct translation from the cartoon so that he has some degree of playability. I was thinking that he could have some sort of useful function, but his faulty brain gets in the way.

The best role I could think of was a humanoid version of an astromech. Basically a user-friendly (overly friendly in this case) mechanical droid that could be used on personal space yachts. The base model would be a Type 3(?) small humanoid droid with speech, hands and tools (all the R2 stuff plus storage for cupcakes). The crazy "upgrade" is just personality.

Couldn't you just imagine G1R in the middle of a firefight walking up to a Stormtrooper and yelling "I'm gonna Huuuug Youuuuuuu!" (*grapple*) or jetting on to an enemy speeder, giving the driver a big friendly grin, then start pressing buttons? "What's this button do? What's this button do? What's this button doooooo?"

SpikeFightwicky
2008-01-06, 12:25 AM
Here's what I came up with:

Small 2nd degree droid (Technical, mechanical and astromech droids are 2nd degree)
Stat mods: -2 str, +2 dex, +2 int, -2 cha
Heuristic processor, 2 Hand appendages
Extras:
Replace tracks (for small size) with walking for locomotion
Vocabulator
Diagnostics package to help with mechanical stuff
Compartment space (5 KG max)
Spring-loaded mechanism (to fling cupcakes at people)
Telescoping Tool Appendage (for buzzsaw)
Tool mounts are cheap-ish, so you can fill him up with whatever's leftover
Exclusive Locmotion System (Flying)

Scoundrel seems like the best fit for him, with misfortune (Disruptive and walk the line seem appropriate) and possibly some fortune. Possible skills of Deception, Initiative, Mechanics, perusasion, Pilot, Use Computer.

There doesn't seem to be much in the ways of 'Perform' skills in Saga edition, so any dancing and singing would be done without need of skill checks, though the disruptive and walk the line talents seem perfect for what GiR does. His mechanical and pilot skills fit for general 'SiR' duties, with deception to help with disguises.
Other than that, the rest of what makes GiR... GiR would be in how you play him. If I'm missing anything, let me know. Either way, it sounds fun!

Zim
2008-01-07, 02:06 PM
Sounds Hi-larious! Thanks Spike! Love the spring loaded mechanism add on! LOL!

SAMMMICH!

There was a sammich in my head!