PDA

View Full Version : Wand Activation

Armoury99
2008-01-04, 12:49 PM
In a bit of a pickle here, memory's going in my old age and I don't have any rulebooks with me. :smalleek:

Wands - I seem to remember seeing somewhere that to use a wand, a character has to have access to the appropriate spell list (not specific spell). Am I making this up in my head? Isn't it just point and "abracadabra" ???

I'm working with the 3.5 rules system.

Help an old man out, eh?

BRC
2008-01-04, 12:53 PM
In a bit of a pickle here, memory's going in my old age and I don't have any rulebooks with me. :smalleek:

Wands - I seem to remember seeing somewhere that to use a wand, a character has to have access to the appropriate spell list (not specific spell). Am I making this up in my head? Isn't it just point and "abracadabra" ???

I'm working with the 3.5 rules system.

Help an old man out, eh?

yes, unless they suceed on a DC 20 Use Magic Device skill check, in which case the rules cry themselves to sleep at night.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-01-04, 12:54 PM
You are correct sir.

Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)

Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

So as long as the character will 'eventually' have access to the spell (even if he never picks it, and even if he can't cast any spells at all), he can use the wand. Their example states that a 3rd level paladin can use wands of spells that appear on his spelllist.

Frosty
2008-01-04, 12:55 PM
So does that mean a Ranger can't use wands of Vigor, Lesser?

Kurald Galain
2008-01-04, 01:03 PM
So does that mean a Ranger can't use wands of Vigor, Lesser?

If Lesser Vigor is not on the ranger's spell list, then no.

Sleet
2008-01-04, 01:13 PM
If Lesser Vigor is not on the ranger's spell list, then no.

And by "the ranger's spell list", it is meant "Any spell designated a ranger spell," not just that particular ranger's list of prepared spells. Scrolls and staffs work this way, too.

Edit: You still need to know the command word or spell trigger technique, though.

Armoury99
2008-01-04, 01:36 PM
Ah, knew I'd read it somewhere. I love that they didn't think to put this in the actual WAND DESCRIPTION. :smallfurious:

"Mercy Bucket" as they say in France.