PDA

View Full Version : Favorite final fantasy

Vulgosh
2008-01-04, 02:23 PM
I'm curious as to which final fantasy game is people's favorite.

Sneak
2008-01-04, 02:38 PM
Let's go through all of 'em.

1-never really played it much
2-never played
3-never played
4-Pretty good, but definitely not the best.
5-I'm not much of a fan of 5. The job system was kinda cool, but all of the characters were really stupid and the plot wasn't that great.
6-Definitely one of the best, if not the best. All the characters (well, except for Umaro and Gogo—what was up with them?) were actually fairly developed and interesting, and it had a very good plot without becoming too confusing or convoluted, i.e. FF7.
7-Also one of the best. I liked it a lot, but I don't think it was the best. Everyone praises the plot, but in my opinion, complicated and confusing doesn't always equal 'good.'
8-I really liked everything about this game...EXCEPT THE GODDAMN DRAWING SYSTEM! It just made everything so difficulty. On my first playthrough I wasn't able to finish because I was lazy and didn't draw enough. Then when I reached Edea the first time I was completely unable to beat her, but I couldn't go back to draw more stuff either.
9-Definitely one of my favorites. Some people thought it was too cartoony, but I really loved this one. I mean, just look at that love scene with the letter. That was hilarious. I'm a fan of comedy. :P
10-Pretty good. Auron was awesome. The main characters, however, (Tidus and Yuna) kinda got on my nerves sometimes.
11-I don't consider this a true Final Fantasy. Never played.
12-Okay, but Vaan was like a clone of Tidus made even more annoying, some of the characters tagging along just didn't make sense, and...I dunno. It just didn't seem as good as the earlier ones.
Mystic Chronicles: This was a TERRIBLE game. Don't ever play.
Crystal Chronicles: Never played, but don't consider this one a true FF either.

Anyway, my favorite is probably 9. It's between 6, 7, and 9, I think, possible 8 and 10. Blitzball was fun. :P And without that damn drawing system, 8 would've been great.

SilentNight
2008-01-04, 02:44 PM
Quote:"12-Okay, but Vaan was like a clone of Tidus made even more annoying, some of the characters tagging along just didn't make sense, and...I dunno. It just didn't seem as good as the earlier ones."

Actually I found Vaan much less annoying than Tidus mostly because he wasn't a self-righteous moron. Which tagalongs didn't make sense?
Overall I like 12 and 10 but my favorite has to be 'Tactics Advanced' for the GBA
Blitzball is still the best mini-game ever.

Sneak
2008-01-04, 03:18 PM
Actually I found Vaan much less annoying than Tidus mostly because he wasn't a self-righteous moron. Which tagalongs didn't make sense?

I don't remember exactly...I have a terrible memory and I haven't played it in a while...I believe it was Penelo? I mean, she basically said she was there' because Vaan's there.' I mean, I understand that they're friends and all, but it seems a little contrived. Okay, well that's just one person, but whatever. Also maybe it was explained later, I didn't play that far into the game.

As for Vaan vs. Tidus...I suppose that's true. I guess I just felt like Tidus was tolerable, but then to have ANOTHER game with someone like him just got on my nerves. According to Wikipedia, Basch was originally going to be the main character of the game. I personally think that that would've been a lot better and made more sense, but whatever. I guess the Japanese like their prettyboy heroes. :smalltongue:

Blitzball is still the best mini-game ever.

Agreed.

As for Tactics...I never played Advance, but I did play the original and the PSP remake. I like it a lot. I didn't like it as much as the regular RPG FFs, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-04, 03:33 PM
Blitzball sucked. Triple Triad was actually entertaining enough that I could stand the incredibly huge number of games necessary to get the rewards. Some of the one-off games in FFVII were also good.

Anyway, my answer's the same as always. Gotta be FFVI.

Setra
2008-01-04, 03:36 PM
11-I don't consider this a true Final Fantasy. Never played.
I am simultaneously:
*Identifying with you, as I used to think this way
*Annoyed at you, what makes it not a 'True Final Fantasy'?
*Feeling Sorry for you, it's a fun game with the best story I've seen in a videogame. Period.

In any case my list is..

1. It's kinda fun, but it could have aged better.

2. The story and characters are fun, but the way in which you leveled kinda put me off of liking it.

3. Very fun game with a nice job system, I prefer the original to the DS version but that is good as well.

4. I consider four to be the 'Average' in terms of Final Fantasy games, half are better half are worse

5. I like the gameplay and job system but.. not really much else

6. Second Favorite: It's got Story, Characters, and Fun Gameplay. Above average in each

7. Third Favorite: There's not much I can say about 7

8. I actually like this one quite a bit, and found Squall to be an interesting lead. The junctioning/limit break system could be less abusable though, then again it lets me pretty much set the pace.

9. I like it.. not much else I can think to say

10. This would probably by my third favorite if it weren't for the characters. It has my favorite battle/level system in a Final Fantasy game, the story is great.. but.. the only characters I really like are Lulu and Auron. Tidus is whiny, I found Yuna to be annoying for various reasons that are hard to explain, Rikku and Wakka aren't that bad.. but I don't really care for them. Also, Seymour was, gameplay aside, a rather pathetic and boring villain.

10-2. This actually has my second favorite battle/level system in a Final Fantasy game, the story is a bit Subpar, and the characters are still lacking. Rikku is just worse, Yuna is as bad as Rikku was in the original, and Paine.. Well she's alright but I kinda get the feeling she's trying too hard to be 'badass'.

11. It's hard to compare it to traditional RPGs in certain ways, but overall I love the game. While there are technically no 'Main Characters' the characters you meet, the story, and whatnot are incredibly fun and very immersive. The battle system, while odd for an MMO in my opinion, is also decent.

12. I had high hopes for this game. Part of the reason I dislike it is simply dissapointment, but really I don't care much for it. The story was alright, but the characters were rather shallow to me, and I despised most of the gameplay.

Legends: These aren't even Final Fantasy games, they're part of the SaGa series if I recall correctly.

Adventure: I don't know where this falls in but I think it's supposed to be a Seiken Densetsu game but.. really I don't wanna put it in with those games either.

Tactics: Easily my favorite. I adore the gameplay, the story is incredible and the characters are simply wonderful. Not much else to say.

Tactics Advance: Good gameplay, didn't like the story or the characters.

Drascin
2008-01-04, 03:48 PM
Final Fantasy VI, by far. Seriously, the sheer amount of character development is most interesting, to begin with, with such an amount of subplots and such, and then there's the fact that this is one of the few games where I actually wanted to win, not because I wanted to see the ending, but because I wanted to stomp the villain into the dust. Kefka is just one of those guys you love to hate.

Tactics is second place, undoubtedly. But then, as the sig probably reveals, I'm a sucker for tactical RPGs, and Tactics is one of the best. Advance was worse in terms of plot, but still very entertaining.

Rigel Cyrosea
2008-01-04, 03:55 PM
I haven't played a lot of the earlier ones, but of those I've played, FFVII was my favourite.

6- My second Favourite. Loved the gameplay, the story was great, and there was so much detail in each of the character's backstory. One thing that bugged me was sprint shoes. I always felt like I was wasting a slot on them, but I couldn't bear plodding along with them.

7- My favourite, and the only video game that has managed to make me depressed for multiple days after the death of a character.

8- Played only a small part of, didn't really like as much as the others.

9- Haven't played, though I would like to.

10- The first one I ever played. The story was good, Auron is still one of my favourite characters, but I really hated Tidus. Whiny, shallow, and weak. Bleh. Blitzball was very fun. I never lost a game once I recruited Brother. His speed was so high, you could just swim around the whole pool, get all the defenders to follow you to your own end, then get out of their range and pass the ball to someone near the goal. Worked every time.

10-2- Liked the battle and class system a lot, didn't like the story, lack of characters, and hated the new version of blitzball.

11- Haven't actually played myself. I didn't much like what I saw of it though.

12- Haven't played.

Tengu
2008-01-04, 05:07 PM
Ah, it's been a while since I've seen such a topic! I'll go through all the games I played, just like Sneak.

1. The classic that started it all. Was probably a great game when it was released, but right now... well, you don't expect much from an 8-bit NES game, do you?

2. They experimented a lot with this game, and failed. The skill and ability improving systems are very badly designed, the game requires more grinding than any other from the series, and the difficulty is very uneven. Pity, the story is fresh and interesting for its time (which means rather cliche and unoriginal now, but hey - this game is OLD). Didn't finish it.

3. They removed most of what FF2 triffled with, and added a FF5-lite job system. The battles play very smooth for a NES game, and this game should be better than FF1 in every aspect, but... it lacked something that let me play through and finish FF1. Maybe because I played it when I was also busy with other games... I might return and finish it one day.

4. Many people swear by this game, but I think it didn't age very well - it was probably brilliant in its time, though, and it set the base on which later, more complex FF games were built. Still a decent game and worth playing at least once.

5. I don't understand why so many people dislike this one. It has a rather naive plot, sure, but it presents it in such a charming, fairy-tale way... and I find the characters sympathetic and rather well-developed (maybe not by today's standards, but still), it's also the first game with a noticable support cast. And the combat and job systems are very neat.

6. Awesome. Moving, deep and interesting plot, great characters, great gameplay, the most evil villain you just love to hate EVER. The only drawbacks are: having to grind for spells at the very end of the game, neither official nor unofficial translation being the perfect one (though I heard the PSP one combines the best elements of both), and I played it so many times it cannot surprise me anymore... but scenes that were supposed to be moving or heroic or funny still are!

7. Only very slightly worse than FF6. An even deeper plot with surprising twists, smaller cast but as interesting characters (and sometimes more), unless you want to defeat certain super special awesome optional bosses you don't even have to grind (apart from raising and racing chocobos...). It gets slightly worse at the third disk though. If FF6 is concentrated awesome, this game is an awesome spritzer.

Tactics - very fun to play, great job system, plot that's not as good as 6 or 7 but which tells an interesting story nevertheless. Some battles can be very hard at times when you play it for the first time, and you can get stuck in some battles if they turn out to be too hard. Also, random battles are too easy, and when a guest character joins your party permanently, they lose all impact on the story, personality and their place in the cutscenes (with one exception), which is a pity. Great game though.

8. Why, WHY are the two most annoying characters in the game cast as the main hero and his love interest? Most people say that they loved the story but hated the gameplay (grinding, ugh... the whole draw system, UGH!), but for me the story was not that hip either - there was a lot of unended sideplots, moments that really moved you were very, very rare, and the plot missed the feeling of mysticality that other FF games had. Has a fun card game.

9. Refreshingly upbeat main character, annoyingly useless love interest, the rest of the cast at least decent, including the best Woobie (in a positive way) in the whole series. Uneven gameplay - sometimes it plays very smoothly, sometimes it's hard or annoying. You can do a lot of stuff that really doesn't matter at all - for example, you gain no actual benefits for playing the card game. Lots of optional zones and content. Very good, and with a very nice retro feeling, the plot is quite interesting and with several deeply moving moments.

So, from the games I played, it's go in this order from the best ones:
6, 7, T, 9, 5, 8, 4, 3, 1, 2.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2008-01-04, 06:53 PM
:smallsigh: I had such a late start on video games (had a Game Boy as a kid...then got a PS2 in my late teens, with nothing in between), I've only finished one Final Fantasy. And I'm only on the first disc of half of them. So far, though, I seem to be a sucker for Ivalice. Twelve is the one I've managed to finish, and the one I'm most likely to finish next is the PSP version of Tactics, since we can't seem to locate my husband's disc of the original game. Anyway, I'll be glad to offer my opinion on 12 - though I've plenty of opinions on the one's I haven't finished, as well (what's everyone got against Yuffie/Rinoa/Penelo/insert character here?), but it just wouldn't feel right to rant about something I haven't finished yet.

I didn't like Vaan much at all - having so much of the game focused on him is like if you had to play IX with Quina as the main character ("Who?" "Exactly."). Balthier and Fran were great, Penelo I quite liked as well (even if you didn't like her, fine, but be thankful that at least they didn't turn her Perky Dial up to eleven, Yuffie, Selphie, Rikku.), Basch was kinda meh, though I appreciated his revelence to the plot and that thing with his brother (kind of like how in World of Warcraft I can never get a Forsaken past level 6, but I like how they start out in a crypt having just come back from the dead, as opposed to most other races' "Hey, welcome to Noobzone for some reason. Go kill stuff because I said so."). I didn't much care for Ashe, but that just may be akin to inexplicable Yuffie hate on my part.

I would like to rant about her skirt though. I think Ashe's skirt is actually more...revealing, let's be kind and call it that, than Fran's whole outfit. Than the collective clothing of the assembled Viera nations. I mean, I'd be fine if it were just short (well, twice as wide as the belt around it is pushing it a little, but fine). But it's short and BRIGHT RED. "Look at me, boys!". Urgh. It could've been black, or brown, or green, or turquoise...but no. Bright, bright red. Leather. With slits up the side. Horridly impractical, and just not a good role model for the young girls of the kingdom!

I quite liked the gameplay. Mostly I just used the gambits so I wouldn't have to keep telling the the other two members of my party to attack, or so they could get that heal in just in the nick of time. I'm pretty bad at action-type games (I suck at Pac-man), but I picked it up in no time. Unless people are complaining that it's too easy. In which case, I amend my argument to "easy to learn, hard to master". I'm smart enough to think strategically, I just get flustered if I have to do it too quickly.

The plot was good too, but maybe I'm too easily pleased. Sure, you're not saving the ENTIRE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!!!!! (well, not intentionally), but just one kingdom. But what's wrong with setting out to save a kingdom? The ENTIRE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!!!!! often ends up saved by a ragtag bunch of nobodies who start out trying to save a kingdom, or retrieve some valuable treasure, or rescue just. one. girl. All the time, really. And as kingdom saving goes, if you're not saving it from some big monster-thingy, well, you've probably got some Political Intrigue on your hands. Hey, political intrigue? I think I'll go play me some Tactics!

Holy carp, I just realized something else. It doesn't have any minigames. Thank goodness, I hated those things. Sure, you don't have to play them...if you don't want the best (whatever) in the game which is the prize for winning the tournament! Sigh.

Bleh, and to think you'll have to read this much about every FF game I finish. Maybe it's a good thing I've only finished one.

Veridian
2008-01-04, 07:51 PM
Let's see...

I - I hated the spell system. HATED it.

II - I disliked the levelling system, as it was so absurdly easy to power level...otherwise, it was allright.

IV - I havn't managed to finish this yet...despite having a lvl 60-ish party, I have to flee from most encounters in the final dungeon, and frankly I don't feel like powerlevelling again...pity, it was fun and challenging.

V - The music got on my nerves. Too upbeat. The job system was kinda fun.

VI - My personal favorite game. This was, to me, truly epic.

VII - First RPG I ever played. I liked it a lot, but found some of the characters really irritating (Red XIII, Cait Sith, and Yuffie...I'm looking at you...)

VIII - Dissappointing. The story was good, the gameplay was good, triple triad was fun. But it was just far too *easy*. And Rinoa gets my vote for most broken FF character.

IX - Didn't like this one much. The final battle had nothing to do with the rest of the game, and both Zidane and Garnet got on my nerves (especially Garnet).

X - The battle system was seriously flawed at the high end of the game. Anyone tried beating Penance? It's a battle of 'I deal 99999 damage to you, you do it to me, I revive and we repeat for a couple of hours until you die.'
Also, Tidus was annoying for a large portion of the game.

XII - Greatly disliked the 'please insert 3 hour grinding period to be strong enough to progress the plot' thing, but did like the system. Until I realised offensive spells were totally useless due to the waiting-for-the-other-guys-spell-to-finish thing. Oh, and I never did finish the final few hunts. I suppose I could have set up my gambits, let the battle run while reading a book for a few hours...but Yiazmat? Pass. I don't have that much patience...

And that's it for the ones I've played...

EvilElitest
2008-01-04, 10:05 PM
FF1- Quite good but more fun that amazing
FF2- Meh, very meh
FF3-Never played
FF4- Never played
FF5- Never played
FF6- Why aren't their more games like this one?
FF7- So much potienal, but the characters ruined it for me. Fun game play though
FF8- Ug
FF9- Wasn't able to finish
FF10- It was fun only if you ignore the characters and the plot and just focus on game play. A bit like Lord of the Rings the Third age accually
FF11- I liked it, but not enough to buy it
FF12- Just got it
FF tatics-love it
FF tatics advanced- loved it
FF Crystals- Quite fun, but not good, gets boring
from
EE

Necromas
2008-01-05, 12:48 AM
I'd have to say I liked FFX the best, I'm currently playing through it again even.

And yes, blitzball is awesome.

FFIX is my second favorite, Vivi is awesome, and it just has a nice story and everything.

I never got into FFVII or FFVIII enough to finish them, but I'll give FFVII that it was at least a lot better than FFVIII.

FFI was fun, though aged. Would have loved to have the game on my gameboy back in the day.

Haven't played any others, except 12 at a friends house, which seemed okay.

Icewalker
2008-01-05, 01:42 AM
Definitely I, not that I've played like any of them...

It's just hilarious. Me and a friend stayed up a whole night playing it...yay win music...it will be stuck in my head forever...

I'm going to get 13, as from what I've heard it vastly improves the supposedly mediocre to sucky combat system of the previous games. Also, from what I've heard, FF13 vs is basically Kingdom Hearts but with more awesome and less disney.

Oh, I've played through Tactics Advance...twice. Pretty good. Except those cat lady people race is the most powerful by so much...Bangaa coming in second. (Basically, get a gladiator, maybe a summoner, an assassin, maybe another assassin, a red mage...)

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 01:50 AM
My Favorite is FFX, which is apparently an unpopular opinion, as I posted once a while ago.

Well, that's just me. Everyone tells me the others are better, but this one is still my favorite.

Cybren
2008-01-05, 02:12 AM
6. Followed closely by Tactics, then 4, a trailing 5 and 8, and then distantly 1, Mystic Quest, 7, 9, 10, and 12.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 02:19 AM
6. Followed closely by Tactics, then 4, a trailing 5 and 8, and then distantly 1, Mystic Quest, 7, 9, 10, and 12.

Come to think of it, I didn't even count Tactics, but I liked it a lot. Strategy Games are underrated, definitely.

I liked Tactics Advance better than Fire Emblem.....

Setra
2008-01-05, 03:43 AM
I'm going to get 13, as from what I've heard it vastly improves the supposedly mediocre to sucky combat system of the previous games. Also, from what I've heard, FF13 vs is basically Kingdom Hearts but with more awesome and less disney.
Yeah, Versus is actually being created by the KH team, I'm honestly not expecting much story, though maybe a decent character or two, but the gameplay should be excellent.

Though I wouldn't rule XIII out, the battle system does look rather unique.

In any case, just remember that because you dislike them does not make them mediocre or bad.

Triaxx
2008-01-05, 06:49 AM
One was great, one of the rare FF's I didn't finish. The GBA remake refines a lot of complaints I had with the original version.

I didn't play 2,3j,4,10,10-2,or 11.

Five was... boring. I got lost early on, and then never was able to figure out how to move on.

Six was great, I got to the half way point and then got stuck.

Seven I completed. Beat Seph, beat weapons, Even got the one off's including Trine.

Eight, I loved this one, except for Rinoa. Triple Triad was tons of fun, and the only thing broken about Rinny was Meteor Wing. Zell had the stronger combo anyway.

Nine, I can't express how much I utterly love this. Garnet had personality, intelligence, and when she set out to do something, she actually got it done. Unlike certain other heroines. The love story here even felt like it was part of the plot, rather than simply tacked on.

Twelve... I'll reserve judgement on this one for now.

Tactics, I loved that. Nice smooth turn based battles, a few broken combos, but you didn't really need them. Story was only an excuse to kill things mostly, but great anyway. And only one one-off item.

Veridian
2008-01-05, 09:27 AM
Eight, I loved this one, except for Rinoa. Triple Triad was tons of fun, and the only thing broken about Rinny was Meteor Wing. Zell had the stronger combo anyway.

Disagreed :smalltongue:

Hasted rinoa + meltdown on enemy = meteor being whipcracked every 5 seconds, with each hit doing 5-7.5k per hit of the meteor. Whereas Zel's, while good, required a bit of luck.

Tengu
2008-01-05, 01:48 PM
. Garnet had personality, intelligence, and when she set out to do something, she actually got it done.

I can't agree with that. She stroke me as a very stereotypical and weak character, the typical love interest princess who lacks initiative and resoluteness to really do anything on her own, other than pursue the hero - the only time she actually has made any actions was when she was leading the defense of her city, and even then it felt as if she didn't do it out of her own free will.

Marle from Chrono Trigger is a strong character, despite being the love interest. Garnet ain't.

Raiser Blade
2008-01-05, 03:03 PM
Final Fantasy X-2

:smallcool:

Blayze
2008-01-05, 03:05 PM
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

Seriously.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 03:19 PM
Final Fantasy X-2

:smallcool:

I think that game is underrated. While it wasn't as good as FFX, it had a good battle system, which I really enjoyed. It was just frustrating that side-quests weren't really on the side....

EvilElitest
2008-01-05, 03:50 PM
I think that game is underrated. While it wasn't as good as FFX, it had a good battle system, which I really enjoyed. It was just frustrating that side-quests weren't really on the side....

Somebody else said this before but, if i wanted to see barely dressed women run around kicking ass then partying and not taking a generally serious world as at all dangerous while being commanded by a male character in a super advanced ship then i'll watch Charle's Angles and then promply hang myself
from
EE

Veridian
2008-01-05, 05:39 PM

I didn't have any problems with the gameplay, rather the characters. And a game that consists of 80% sidequests, 20% main game, is not my cup of tea :smallwink:

And blitzball was incredibly lame there too.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 08:24 PM
I didn't have any problems with the gameplay, rather the characters. And a game that consists of 80% sidequests, 20% main game, is not my cup of tea :smallwink:

And blitzball was incredibly lame there too.

I agree on that, though.

@EE: NOOOO.
There was a Charlie's Angels game, and it was a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL OF SUCKING.

Ryuuk
2008-01-05, 09:48 PM
I'm probably fondest of 8, never finished it though, got to Ultimcecia's castle on various rentals.

As a whole though, 9 really got to me. The music was great, the characters were pretty cool and it was probably the first Medieval rpg that I played. From there I went back to the NES and SNES ones.

EvilElitest
2008-01-05, 09:51 PM
I agree on that, though.

@EE: NOOOO.
There was a Charlie's Angels game, and it was a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL OF SUCKING.

So this was the the elder and better looking brother of the Charlie's Angles game? Who's mother was a FF game?
from
EE

Raroy
2008-01-05, 10:37 PM
FF1- Did not age well
FF2- I didn't really like it
ff3- never played it
ff4- It was alright
ff5- I like the job system but the story and characters just lacked so much
ff6- Yes!
ff7- Good, but the story didn't really make that much sense and I did not really like the characters
ff8- It hated the draw system. I couldn't beat the game because of it.
ff9- I like this one a lot. It was something different. Or was it something that once was?
ff10- I like the game play and leveling.
ffx-2 What was this?
ff11- The grind! The grind!
ff12- It bored me so I stop playing
fft- It has a nice overall feel to it. Makes me want to grind for hours just because
ffta- Advance didn't sit well with me. I could never get my characters past level 12

Setra
2008-01-05, 11:44 PM
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

Seriously.
It's actually pretty fun in my opinion.

Setra
2008-01-06, 12:51 AM
Guide to the draw system:
Step One: Get Card Refine (Ability on Queza... I forgot how to spell it)
Step One and a half: Get the "Card" action ability (turns enemies into cards)
Step Two: Get the various Elemental Refining Abilities
Step Three: Refine your cards
Step Four: Use the refined items to get a ton of spells
Step Five: Put the spells in your stat slots

It pretty much boils to that, no real grinding required aside from a bit at the start.

I had 300 of each -ga spell on disc one (100 for each character) which when combined with HP/Str/Magic practically made me a disc one nuke with no effort.

Triaxx
2008-01-06, 07:09 AM
Disagreed :smalltongue:

Hasted rinoa + meltdown on enemy = meteor being whipcracked every 5 seconds, with each hit doing 5-7.5k per hit of the meteor. Whereas Zell's, while good, required a bit of luck.

A bit of luck, but only to get the 12second timer. After that you could punch out 250K damage with Armageddon fist.

I can't agree with that. She stroke me as a very stereotypical and weak character, the typical love interest princess who lacks initiative and resoluteness to really do anything on her own, other than pursue the hero - the only time she actually has made any actions was when she was leading the defense of her city, and even then it felt as if she didn't do it out of her own free will.

Except for putting the rest of the party to sleep, and making it all the way back to her home from Ludblum with just Steiner. (Surviving a trip with Steiner earns my respect on it's own.) She got captured... twice I think? The one big trouble late in the game was a touch of a problem, but I sent her to Oil, so it was negated anyway.

Triaxx
2008-01-06, 07:25 AM

It pretty much boils to that, no real grinding required aside from a bit at the start.

I had 300 of each -ga spell on disc one (100 for each character) which when combined with HP/Str/Magic practically made me a disc one nuke with no effort.

Don't forget that you can pick up Curaga for HP, with L-magic refine. Three thousand HP going into the first boss fight, or with Diablo is a nice boon.

Veridian
2008-01-06, 11:34 AM
A bit of luck, but only to get the 12second timer. After that you could punch out 250K damage with Armageddon fist.

Huh, I never had any luck with that...I'd gotten good at punching in mixes of the very basic moves very fast but I never did manage to get any useful things to show up...

Thus, damage was decent, but never reliable.

Triaxx
2008-01-06, 04:20 PM
Actually, armeggedon fist is a combination of Punch Rush and Booya, or Punch Rush and Heel Drop.

The original comment from the guide is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using The Armageddon Fist
------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Kaze Yagami ([email protected])
The Armageddon Fist is done by using Punch Rush and Booya. Some of the
readers say that Heel Drop will be better as it inflicit more damage as
compared to the Booya. You just need to switch between Booya and Rush
Punch and the enemy will be dead meat in no time. As the combo can be
done repeatedly many times, it can accumulated to heavy amount of
damage.

Veridian
2008-01-06, 04:45 PM
Oh...that was what I was doing, it just never seemed to do all that much damage. And it kept giving me weakling 5 second time limits. :smallannoyed:

Rutee
2008-01-06, 04:59 PM
In order..

V: For some reason, this is the most iconic Final Fantasy to me, and my favorite, though I will certainly concede that on the whole, VI is a better game. But the Warriors of the Light, each embodying the essence of a crystal (Yes, I know this was technically done in I, but since there was no 'character', as such, the Crystal embodiment was lost), each borrowing from ancient powers to put down an even more ancient evil, well..

The Job system is also pretty interesting in this incarnation. I liked Tactics' better, but this had inferior technology going into it, so it's ot be expected that its' evolution is better.
VI: Do I really need to discuss it? I mean, it should be understood why this is liked, by this point, even if one disagrees.. XD
X-2: You heard me. Third favorite Final Fantasy. Interesting costume design (Even when Stripperific, it still manages, mostly, to be pretty cool looking), without a doubt the most dynamic combat system in a Final Fantasy (If only there were some way to hold onto a charged ability so that you could deliberately fire it off at the end of a combo string...), interesting writing (No, not story, writing. Writing is everything that goes into the characterization, and the delivery of lines.), interesting characters, and some good takes on classic concepts. I also liked that the special dresspheres turned you into what amounts to a Boss. Pity the story and music were so godawful (THEY KILLED THE VICTORY THEME).
VII: As much as it's internet popular to slam VII, it's still a very good game. It /has/ regretfully been followed up by a lot of imitators, but I fail to see why I should hold that against hte original product.

Mr. Scaly
2008-01-06, 05:03 PM
I'm afraid I've only played I, X, X-2, and XII so far. VII doesn't count because I was watching someone play it.

Of them all I liked X the best. I like the battle systems and customization in X-2 and XII, and I did actually like their story lines (still working on XII...curse you Enkidu!). And FFI is a classic.

I really want to play VI though...

Cynan Machae
2008-01-06, 09:45 PM
FF1- Was good for it's time
FF2- I liked it a bit, but the system was so weird and abusable
ff3- Actually quite enojoyed it, job system was good
ff4- I really like this one, storyline is great
ff5- I like the job system and the gameplay, good game
ff6- Awesome game, awesome characters, awesome villain
ff7- Very good game, with awesome gameplay
ff8- Draw system sucks. How ennemy level is based on yours sucks. Game play sucks. Story was ok, and so was music
ff9- A great one, with a good story
ff10-12- Havent played them :(
fft- A very good game imo, really enjoyed it, the gameplay was pretty good and it's a nice change from the other FFs
ffta- Didn't finish it, but it seemed quite good

So, in order: 6=7>Tactics>9>5>4>TacticsAdvance>3>8>2>1

Yea, I hate 8.

Khanderas
2008-01-07, 06:21 AM
Final Fantasy VI, by far. Seriously, the sheer amount of character development is most interesting, to begin with, with such an amount of subplots and such, and then there's the fact that this is one of the few games where I actually wanted to win, not because I wanted to see the ending, but because I wanted to stomp the villain into the dust. Kefka is just one of those guys you love to hate.
True enough. Kefka is the only game villain that got me mad enough to stand up and curse at the TV. And meaning it. I wanted Kefka dead and humiliated... then be becomes basically a god though sheer backstabbing evilness.

1-3 Never played.
4 (Mystic Quest ?) fast battles, could see where the enemies was (choose when to get attacked). Little character development but otherwise nice.

5 Great start, mist dragon and unwittingly killing all Summoners. Nice battle system.

6 My first FF experience. Wonderful. I almost finished it once, so to keep the magic I deleted my savefiles so I could start over. It. is. that. good.
Best sound & graphics at the time. Great replayability. Aged well and great characters. Levelling up was simple (see comments on FF X) so you could focus on moving forward.

7 Very good game. Love the materia system and stummons. Eyewitness saw me play the game with my mouth open and a zoned out expression... for hours. It does not age quite as well as 6 though, since the fights are not as quickly resolved. (Random fight starts, loadingtime, ATB meter goes up, fight....., win, characters use the winning poses, items gained, levels gained, fadeout.. back to the walking screen, walk for 4-15 seconds and repeat)

8 Meh. Drawing system was not too bad (you could put a weight on the draw button and take lunch) but overall not impressive story and the characters especially the main protagonist was boring.

9 Really good. The way FF should be. Problebly the best in the series, plenty of sidequests to do, odd characters and the levelling system was uncomplicated and made unique characters. The card game rocked and the protagonist was, for a change, not a depressed wanker.

X Step up in graphics, loved the speech added. Aeons improved on the summoning ideas. But i never felt for the group. Fights were nice though. Fast in, fast out. But what really sucks is the sphere grid. While there are not too many roads to follow I always got confused and frustrated when I had to pass empty nodes, knowing that they could be filled with items I did not have.
It also tended to give uneven characters. One with 3500 health who hit like a truck and one with 400 who probelbly had some nice skills, but was usually killed too fast to be of any use. But above all the system made me NOT want to move though the grid because of all the things I would miss (glass half empty in this case I guess).

X-2 Soft and lighthearted. The three protagonists were farily equal in level thoughout the game. The dressphears was easy to level and usable by all as you saw fit. This let you keep with the story AND in the same world as the last so alot of familiarty feelings. I dont know why people are ragging on this so much. Better and easier to stand then FF X thats for sure.

12 I have barely started on (some 8 hours into the game). But I like what has happened sofar. The battlesystem I really like. No transitions between the "real world" and fights and you can even switch members when in fights. Decent characters, though he ain't no Vivi.

Khanderas
2008-01-07, 06:31 AM

If you are lazier then that, set options to remember what you last battle action was.
Draw action on weak enemies on all characters. Notice how the cursor is set on draw for you when the next round comes around ?
Put a weight on the x button.
Take lunch (20 min or more)
Come back and continue playing.
For card to work you gotta beat them up first (chance of success is how damaged they are) and that means you gotta be around though it is problebly faster then "my" method.

Same with FFX-2. Just use non damamaging abilities. Combine with white mage weak area heal (that also levels the white mage abilties) and take a break. Even buff spells counts as "dress sphere experience".