PDA

View Full Version : Compensating for one player's choices?

Tyger
2008-01-04, 03:12 PM
How do you, as DMs and Players, compensate when one character in your party decides that the use of magic items, in any sort of quantity, is contrary to his character image?

We have a party member (monk/psi-war) who has determined that he doesn't want to be "dripping in magic items" and wants to keep the use of them to an absolute mimimum. Which is great. All for development of character.

But! What about 5 levels from now when he is still using magic items appropriate for a level 10 character and the rest of the party is using level 15 WBL? The DM can't lower the challenges to his level, as that would make it too easy for the rest.

While I am the first to agree that the wealth / power levels don't always equate to effectiveness, its a simple fact that the other party members will be more powerful. Especially considering his class choices! :) Not that it will prevent him from having fun (I hope) but I am just looking for ideas on making sure his effectiveness remains as high as the rest, so that we can avoid any frustration.

JaxGaret
2008-01-04, 03:13 PM
Take a look at the Vow of Poverty, from Book of Exalted Deeds.

Solo
2008-01-04, 03:13 PM
Let the Darwinian laws of natural character selection run their course.

Crow
2008-01-04, 03:18 PM
Is he having fun?

If he is, then it's fine and you don't need to do anything about it. If a problem comes up down the line, you can always adjust loot at that point. Vow of Poverty may be attractive to him, but then he may not want to be that underequipped.

Ask the player what items he might be ok with his character having, and then work from there. Or offer him Tomes of Understanding and Manuals of Bodily health. He gets the bonus of a stat booster without being "dripping" As a monk/Psiwar, he will love those, and they are pretty expensive too.

valadil
2008-01-04, 03:42 PM
I've had players elect to play less than optimal characters for the purpose of playing the weaker guy. I'm not talking about Stormwind Fallacy, but players who wanted to take on the role of a civilian tagging along with adventurers. It's what those players wanted to do and the character experience of playing someone weaker was more rewarding to those players than being able to fight well.

I think you should make it clear to the player that you won't be pulling any punches to accommodate his character choices and let him roll with it. Maybe he wants to play the underdog character who will overcome challenges by himself where others relied on magic.

That said, you should probably put at least one encounter in the game where players can't use their equipment. I like this type of encounter in most games, but it will also give that player a chance to shine.

Lemur
2008-01-04, 03:45 PM
Somehow make sure that he has a single, or a few significantly powerful magic items, and not much else. That way he's not a walking arsenal of enchantments, but still has competitive magical gear, and it sounds like it should fit with the character concept.

Following wealth by level strictly in this case isn't necessarily a good idea, since in 3.X it's to a character's benefit to be a covered in medium power magic items, rather than have a single but powerful magic item. Although putting different abilities into a magic item normally increases it's value significantly, that shouldn't be an issue in this case. Since this character doesn't want to have all his item slots filled in the first place, it shouldn't really matter for balance if you compress stat boosts or other bonuses and abilities into a single item. I'd reccommend putting a use restriction on his stuff though, like "usable only by psychic monks" or "only functions as long as you don't use other magic items" so other party members can't benefit from it's otherwise augmented powers.

Craig1f
2008-01-04, 03:47 PM
If his reasoning is that he doesn't want to be dripping in "arcane" magic, then simply devise "Divine" magical items.

My barbarian currently has an axe that has been enchanted by a shaman. Its magic is divine. If I attempt to have the axe enchanted by a wizard, the enchantment won't stack. I'll have an axe with an effective +2 enchantment, that has a +1 divine bonus, and a +1 arcane bonus, that don't stack.

icthius
2008-01-04, 04:12 PM
He's a psi warrior, give him psi items.

silentknight
2008-01-04, 04:34 PM
As a DM, I would run my games as usual. If the player does not want to take advantage of the magic provided, that is his choice. If, further down the road, he finds himself frustrated that his character is less effective or underpowered, he may change his mind on his own. He may even decide that he would rather play in a low-magic campaign to get that "not-a-walking-arsenal" feel.

lord_khaine
2008-01-04, 04:41 PM
nahh the last thing you will inflict upon him is psi items, that would only nerf him even more.

a few potent item can keep him around WBL without making him drip in magic items.
first of all try and get him a belt of magnificence, it should be in the magic item compendium, and it grants him a enchantment bonus of +2/+4/6 to all ability scores, thats just what he needs.
if he also have a decent weapon, like fx a deep crystal gauntlet (im assuming he fights unarmed) then he should be able to hold his own in a encounter.

additionaly, there is a feat in the eberon book secrets of sarlona (not sure about spelling) that lets a psychic class stack with monk levels for unarmed damage etc, that would also help him a lot i think.

Chronicled
2008-01-04, 04:51 PM
additionaly, there is a feat in the eberon book secrets of sarlona (not sure about spelling) that lets a psychic class stack with monk levels for unarmed damage etc, that would also help him a lot i think.

I believe the feat in question is Tashalatora (might be Tashlatora, I'm not sure of the spelling).