PDA

View Full Version : How are they going to do this in the book?

ZFR
2008-01-04, 06:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

Haley breaking (at least not the fourth again) wall...

Spiryt
2008-01-04, 06:13 PM
Well, considering that they'll had to do something about this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html), the latest comic isn't so big problem.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-04, 06:34 PM
422 is easy. Just make sure the pages are next to each other. I mean, it's really just a double comic.

443 will proof troublesome, and so will 518, but I doubt it's impossible.

Spiryt
2008-01-04, 06:45 PM
422 is easy. Just make sure the pages are next to each other. I mean, it's really just a double comic.

Yeah this will be easy, indeed.

443 will proof troublesome, and so will 518, but I doubt it's impossible.

I just thought that OP is right, 518 will be indeed hardest one. They can just do some collapsible extension of the page.
But 518... well it will look dumb on extension and even dumber on the whole page.

NerfTW
2008-01-04, 07:15 PM
The comics are stored as vector images. Rich can go in and make any changes he needs. He can either put Haley back into the panel, or, which I think would be amusing, simply have a blank page with Haley being blown across it.

The_Evil_One
2008-01-04, 08:20 PM
The comics are stored as vector images. Rich can go in and make any changes he needs. He can either put Haley back into the panel, or, which I think would be amusing, simply have a blank page with Haley being blown across it.

Yeah. I'd have to say 443 is harder. Especially considering there's a spoiler at the bottom, so it would be hard to pull an Inn Explosion.

David Argall
2008-01-04, 09:38 PM
It's not too hard to craft a scene on the next page that she is knocked into. Say Belkar is shown getting out of the grannery with some special loot and after enough actions to reach the bottom of the page, he turns and sees Haley being pushed right into him.

kossuth's_spark
2008-01-05, 02:25 PM
how do all you people know that there is even going to be a book?

Zordrath
2008-01-05, 02:31 PM
Just a general feeling... :smalltongue:

Anyway, I was wondering how to print that myself when I read it... the most obvious solution would of course be just leaving the next page blank and having just Haley there (Origins has a blank page with only picture of Thog, after all), but that would look pretty dumb to me.

Personally, I'd go with David Argall's idea for now, but we'll see in the next comic .

factotum
2008-01-05, 03:18 PM

Well, two main reasons: firstly, the strips up to 301 have already been collected in book form, and the book covering the Azure City arc (War and XPs) is due out in a few months. Secondly, the comics are Rich's main source of income these days, so he'd be a bit daft to NOT release these strips in book form! It's not like the site itself carries any advertising, so he doesn't make money from it.

EvilElitest
2008-01-05, 04:19 PM
They will use magic, just leave it at that
from
EE

NerfTW
2008-01-05, 06:46 PM

Because that's how Rich makes money off this comic. Thousands of readers doesn't mean squat on a free, ad-less website.

Chrismith
2008-01-05, 06:54 PM
It's not too hard to craft a scene on the next page that she is knocked into. Say Belkar is shown getting out of the grannery with some special loot and after enough actions to reach the bottom of the page, he turns and sees Haley being pushed right into him.

That...would be really awesome. I would love to see Haley hit so hard by Tsukiko's spell that she got blasted into the next comic.

OverWilliam
2008-01-05, 07:48 PM
But 518... well it will look dumb on extension and even dumber on the whole page.
They could turn it on its side across two pages down the middle.

kossuth's_spark
2008-01-05, 08:08 PM
i think that they will extend the knock-back to an entire page and Rich could have her blast into the next comic!

LordOfNarf
2008-01-06, 04:20 PM
I think there will either be a blank page that Haley is blasted into, or she will be blasted onto the next page (which would be cool)

The blank pages are nessesary because certian comics need to be in certain positions, such as making sure the cliffhanger in the trial is on the right hand page so that the page must be turned to find the verdict.

422 even lends itself more to a printed form, as not all of us have monitors that can display it without scrolling, which is a pain.

Dimitri
2008-01-07, 12:49 AM
They could turn it on its side across two pages down the middle.

Yes! An OotS centerfold! :biggrin:

Loki_d20
2008-01-07, 02:41 PM
The comics are stored as vector images. Rich can go in and make any changes he needs. He can either put Haley back into the panel, or, which I think would be amusing, simply have a blank page with Haley being blown across it.Which would make for a great page with which to provide new and custom content for those who purchase the book.

chibibar
2008-01-07, 02:46 PM
443 - Centerfold :)

Latest one? two pager but have the 2nd page where Haley will land. Add some text and you got it ;)

ZFR
2008-01-07, 04:50 PM
nah.. I think the'y make "War an XPs" two inches wide and 17 inches high to allow for 443...

David Argall
2008-01-07, 05:54 PM
I was thinking Haley would be knocked into the next page scene, but that may be a bit dull. So maybe the page will show Belkar doing whatever, until he gets low on the page, at which point, he looks down to the lower panel to see Haley and then rushes to the rescue.

Gilthans
2008-01-08, 08:33 AM
I doubt that Haley will actually be blasted into the next comic, since a) it will be hard to display in the web version, and b) if she would have blasted to the next comic, it would have been to today's comic, in which she isn't.

I think what will happen is a blank page that Haley gets blasted into, with MitD watching (as to not leaving most of the page blank), eating popcorn and making some snarky comment.
About the falling strip... that has actually been bother me since I read it. I don't think a centerfold will cut it, it is a pretty large strip. Also, there would be a lot of blank space which doesn't suit a printed book well. The best solution I thought of is a centerfold with Author's Comments on the strip on the blank sides. I actually think I'll buy the next book only to see what Rich did :) (I didn't buy any other web-published books...)

I guess only time will tell.