PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-04, 06:12 PM
For those who don't know, it's an RPG computer game based on D&D 3.5, with all the action based on turns, the classes, features, races, skills, status, dice rolls, etc...

There are only a few changes to suit D&D to a computer game (and perhaps some extra classes for the commercial appeal), and it's oftenly played online on servers made by people who know a bit about operating the toolset and some scripting, to build persistent worlds or campaigns as Dungeon Masters...

In my opinion, it's the very last "MMORPG" where there is real roleplay... I've watched the decadence of Ultima Online until there were only action servers left... I've tried World Of Warcraft where even those so called "Hardcore Roleplaying Guilds" were very light and lame on roleplay... And eventually I've played some games where roleplay never really came to the idea of any player there... Like Voyage Century, Anarchy Online, Diablo II (the classic :P)...

But well, NWN is also going towards the doom of roleplay... The great majority of serious RP servers were shut down, and now there are very few ones left - and they all have a very small playerbase.

Nothing against the Hack & Slash type of play... But does anyone here still plays Neverwinter Nights online, on roleplaying servers, I wonder?

I play Haley in there on a few of those servers... It's a nice setting for an OotS based campaign, too :)

Arang
2008-01-04, 06:27 PM
I recommend this game for, if nothing else, its toolset. Seriously you guys, if you can read, build Lego constructions and/or use a mouse I am fairly confident you can make a module of your very own.

SurlySeraph
2008-01-04, 07:12 PM
I only have NWN2, not the original, so no.

Wraith
2008-01-04, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine moved away to finish his PhD, but really wanted to run a DnD game at some point. So, he's using the NWN toolset to fashion a world (nothing too fancy - just a few different sections like forest, dungeon, town, etc) and plans to run a DnD game online; spawning monsters as he needs them and RPing his NPCs as the DM.

Hopefully it's a fad that will catch on - I like NWN for the game alone, but to give it some sort of longevity through DnD would be pretty awesome too...

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-04, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine moved away to finish his PhD, but really wanted to run a DnD game at some point. So, he's using the NWN toolset to fashion a world (nothing too fancy - just a few different sections like forest, dungeon, town, etc) and plans to run a DnD game online; spawning monsters as he needs them and RPing his NPCs as the DM.

Hopefully it's a fad that will catch on - I like NWN for the game alone, but to give it some sort of longevity through DnD would be pretty awesome too...

That's what I look for in NWN, too... DMs using the NWN interface and awesome graphics to run a simple campaign with just a few players - pen and paper D&D-like :)

Truwar
2008-01-04, 08:42 PM
This is a link to the information you will need to play a persistent world (http://s13.invisionfree.com/GuardiansofGaleport/index.php)a friend and I built. I am pretty dang proud of the world, but with the shrinking player base of NWN, we don't have players on very often.

Dihan
2008-01-04, 08:46 PM
I play on a persistent world called Tyrel (http://tyrel-pw.com/) using PRC (http://www.nwn2prc.com/index.php). A lot to download, but the extra 30+ classes, 100+ feats, 200+ spells, psionics, etc, is nice to have.

Sequinox
2008-01-04, 10:02 PM
Wow, this is strange... I stumble upon this thread just as I turn on NWN 2, which I bought today... I plan on building some sort of world, but I'm not really sure how to do it yet (I only looked at the toolset for five minutes) but I'm enjoying the campaign, even though I'm only twenty minutes into it.

Ominous
2008-01-05, 12:29 AM
This is a link to the information you will need to play a persistent world (http://s13.invisionfree.com/GuardiansofGaleport/index.php)a friend and I built. I am pretty dang proud of the world, but with the shrinking player base of NWN, we don't have players on very often.

I was starting to look around a bit until I saw "Forgotten Realms Dieties". What is it with NWN PWs and their attachment to that god-awful setting? Sorry, I play on non-Forgotten Realms based servers only.

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-05, 12:32 AM
Wow, this is strange... I stumble upon this thread just as I turn on NWN 2, which I bought today... I plan on building some sort of world, but I'm not really sure how to do it yet (I only looked at the toolset for five minutes) but I'm enjoying the campaign, even though I'm only twenty minutes into it.

:)

The toolset is not really hard to operate, like it has been said before... (I just never really tried it yet cause I'm a bit dumb on computers in a whole)...

The bad thing about NWN is that every DM makes identical Forgotten Realms based worlds and settings...

So if you ever use the toolset for something original (Historical setting, serious LotR one, modern, serious zombie survival, even OotS, why not?), then you will draw the atention of many players and scripters/builders to help you :) ... (including myself)

PS: About the FR deities.. Yep, there are a lot of lame things on these FR worlds...

Justwar.
2008-01-05, 01:59 AM
I was starting to look around a bit until I saw "Forgotten Realms Dieties". What is it with NWN PWs and their attachment to that god-awful setting? Sorry, I play on non-Forgotten Realms based servers only.

Then your doing yourself a disservice. There is much more there than dieties people are familiar with.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-05, 08:54 AM
In my opinion, it's the very last "MMORPG" where there is real roleplay...

NWN was never an mmorpg. It may be a morpg, but it isn't massive since I've never seen more than 30 people on a server. Persistant words don't fit the mmorpg criteria at all.

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-05, 10:47 AM
NWN was never an mmorpg. It may be a morpg, but it isn't massive since I've never seen more than 30 people on a server. Persistant words don't fit the mmorpg criteria at all.

That's why I used the ""

DeathQuaker
2008-01-05, 10:52 AM
But well, NWN is also going towards the doom of roleplay... The great majority of serious RP servers were shut down, and now there are very few ones left - and they all have a very small playerbase.

Part of what is "dooming" NWN is simply that some PW creators are working on recreating their stuff for NWN2, I think. And as I understand it, while original NWN PWs may be getting smaller, the ones that exist are pretty stable.

Glad to hear the original NWN has some life in it left, definitely. I only do single player stuff, but it's nice to know other people get a lot out of it in other ways.

Dihan
2008-01-05, 11:16 AM
You only get the most out of it if you heavily modify it. :smalltongue:

Right now I'm playing a lvl 11 Sun Elf Duskblade.

Youash3
2008-01-06, 03:23 PM
I play on a small rp based mod for nwn. There is a small player base now (around 5 or so) and we are looking for more people. If you want to take a look at it, its at http://drakky1.tripod.com/index.html . The mod has changed rules / classes / and races. Ever want to join an army without the fear of actualy getting hurt? There are 4 playable military sides, organizations never thought of before, and even a brand new player based military. The thought of getting pay-day through a game has just never been so fun. by being in the military, you would be part of a payroll, uniforms, and the army's favored weapons at your disposal. Play solo or play with a team. Its all fun at Valikorlia. A great experience for even the most hardcore RPers. Subraces are used for almost limitless rp situations. Have you ever wanted to summon a god to your side? By selecting a deity, you may be able to summon the deities followers, and possibly even the god itself. This is an always changing world due to hardworking players who work on new areas everyday. Just contact the creator if you want to be part of a wonderful experience at MSN: [email protected] or on AIM: sirdrakaden. C'mon just check it out, and you would be surprised on how this is as fun as I told ya. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-06, 08:50 PM
I've played both NWN and NWN2 and I feel that they are both instant classics. I don't know why I wasted my time with Oblivion instead of playing these games!

Driderman
2008-01-06, 09:17 PM
I'm tempted to re-install NWN 1 and try and find a server to play on. But... I'll probably wait for my new computer and do it with NWN 2 instead, after playing the single player campaign(s). Come to think of it, I have a serious backlog of games I need to play when I get that machine so I might not have the time to play NWN online at all :)

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-06, 09:21 PM
Who needs a server? Single-player's really all you need!

Driderman
2008-01-06, 09:25 PM
Well, the one bad thing I have to say about NWN 1 is that the single player campaigns doth sucketh, and mightily so. All of them. Although Hordes Of The Underdark wasn't as bad as the other two, it still didn't come anywhere near acceptable...

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-06, 09:26 PM
What makes them suck? I thought they were awesome.

Driderman
2008-01-06, 09:31 PM
I thought they were dull, uninspiring and poorly made. Especially Shadows Of Undrentide. The only reason I played through both expansions was because I had a long period where I wasn't online.

DeathQuaker
2008-01-06, 09:44 PM
I thought they were dull, uninspiring and poorly made. Especially Shadows Of Undrentide. The only reason I played through both expansions was because I had a long period where I wasn't online.

I agree on Shadows being a little dull (though I found it worth a playthrough) but I thought Hordes was very well done--lots of choices, lots of interesting characters.

Some of the Premium Modules are also quite good, especially "Pirates of the Sword Coast" and "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr." I found "Kingmaker" not up to the hype said about it, OTOH.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-06, 09:56 PM

What made them dull, uninspiring and poorly made? Be specific.

Talkkno
2008-01-06, 10:45 PM
For those who don't know, it's an RPG computer game based on D&D 3.5, with all the action based on turns, the classes, features, races, skills, status, dice rolls, etc...

It's 3.0 actually.

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-06, 10:58 PM
O play on NWN 1, too (I have NWN 2 but didn't like it much)... And if anyone is interested on good roleplaying servers that are not those with 59054 races, 19028932 subraces, and everyone beyond level 30, I can sugest some :)

AEonath - Shadows Of Darkness
Direct IP: 99.224.138.228:5121
Forums: www.runboard.com/bshadowofdarkness

Darkwalker Prophecy
Forums: http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=14359

On both servers I play Haley - a chaotic good full blown rogue.. Inspired on I'm not telling who :D

SmartAlec
2008-01-07, 02:07 AM
I've heard advocates for Persistent Worlds and for Single-Player, but is there anyone here who plays NWN with a small group and a DM or two? Playing campaigns with friends- essentially, a pen-and-paper session online - is where I have the most fun with NWN.

And it's so easy to mod! The Community Roleplaying Project mods add extra pen-and-paper rules for extra authenticity, the D20 Modern mods completely change the game into something new and fresh, the Nightfire mods turn it into Traveller and do the same... I've played games of Steampunk NWN, Firefly NWN, Star Wars NWN, X-Com NWN, ancient Japanese NWN... There really are no limits, the freedom of weekly campaign building and playing is quite excellent.

Well, the one bad thing I have to say about NWN 1 is that the single player campaigns doth sucketh, and mightily so. All of them.

The thing is, you can download a vast selection of single-player modules made by players from http://nwvault.ign.com/ - completely free. Some of them dwarf Hordes of the Underdark in terms of quality and entertainment. I guarantee there's something out there you'd like.

Driderman
2008-01-07, 06:36 AM
Zousha, it's been years since I played them, can't remember specifically. Something along the lines of it being a hackfest with a poorly wrought plot slapped on, thinly veiling it as an rpg. I didn't like the henchmen either. No, not even Deekin, although he came close to 'mildly amusing' at times. What I remember is i thought the dialogues were ackward and poorly organized, which bothered me to no end after Planescape: Torment

Smartalec: Yeah, I've tried plenty of those mods, even bought the Kingmaker triple-pack or whatever it's called. Some of them are fun.

I really like NWN 1, just not the official campaign. Smart move to make a game that doesn't require you to play it at all (I had owned the game for about a year before I did)

Dihan
2008-01-07, 06:38 AM
I've never finished the campaigns. I prefer to play online with other people.

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-07, 11:38 AM
... I've played games of Steampunk NWN, Firefly NWN, Star Wars NWN, X-Com NWN, ancient Japanese NWN... There really are no limits, the freedom of weekly campaign building and playing is quite excellent...

Aww, I wanted so much to play a cyberpunk/SW/Firefly/etc NWN campaign! Or anything other than medieval fantasy...

Sadly I don't know any group that launch those campaigns like pen-and-paper sessions :(

(If anyone knows any, please notify me :D)

SmartAlec
2008-01-07, 02:15 PM
http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/

Big community site for DMs and Players alike.

Haley_Starshine
2008-01-09, 09:07 PM
Nice link :)

Sometimes I imagine a server where roleplaying is done like in OotS... Like "Hey, I think I failed a spot check"... lol

If I knew any scripting, I would make an OotS persistent world... Would be so fun :P