PDA

View Full Version : Haze - a Persistent World for NWN2

Dyrhet
2008-01-04, 06:34 PM
First of all, I hope this is in the right section. I thought maybe recruitment, since this is sort of what that is? I don't run Haze, nor am I on the GM team, just a player keen to keep up numbers ('Cause you're going to get some attrition with this sort of thing, people leaving and coming back, what have you). Let me just break out the boilerplate...

What is HAZE?

NWN2 Haze is a persistent world, role-playing server set in the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms universe. That means the server is always up, unlike some role-playing campaigns for NWN2 which are only up certain hours of certain days. NWN2 Haze promises to be the defining hardcore roleplay experience for NWN2. As a re-imagining of the Hall of Fame awarded Haze (from NWN1), developed by members of the same team and with an additional two years of experience, it will deliver the same strictly enforced high-impact, high-intensity Forgotten Realms roleplay experience.

Employing permanent death and a huge number of custom systems and tweaks, NWN2 Haze offers a whole new kind of gritty, immersive, edge-of-your-seat roleplay that other servers can't deliver. Through a talented team of Dungeon Masters and bold ideas, NWN2 Haze is a world that rewards good roleplay with great fun, and gives characters the opportunity to conquer or fall by their own actions.

Here's its website: http://www.nwn2haze.com

Okay, that's a nice cover story, what is Haze really?

Haze is a hardcore roleplaying server for NWN2. Enforced roleplaying, permadeath, and DM run events. Your actions have real consequence and the world of Haze can change based on how players act. Enemies are not simply there to be killed, they also have their own living, and breathing system that will change and fight back should you encroach on them.

Permadeath?

Yup, permadeath. If your character dies, there is a 1% chance of being ressurected automatically by your diety. Other then that, the chances of you being ressurected for something short of a bug, exploit, or OOC problem is slim to none. This means that when your town gets attacked or your patrol ambushed, you'rre running for your characters life. And yes, this is a full PVP server, which means you can kill other players (With restrictions, see below).

Why!? Why should I waste all my time playing a game if when my character dies, I have to start completely over?

That's a good question. See, a lot of problems with MMO's and other games is that there are no consequences for your actions. People who are not fearful of death will end up doing stuff because they are bored.

Haze wants you to question your actions. If you decide to attack an orc village, you better be prepared to either face death there, or face death when the orcs decide to attack your town a few days later.

Okay, this sounds kinda interesting. What's the setting?

Haze is a low level, low magic, realistic setting. Set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting several hundred years before the Time of Troubles (RE: Bhaal is still alive and hasn't begun to breed yet). Haze takes place on an island. A good majority of the island's population are also shipwrecked characters (And we swear, Haze was out before Lost). Together, you must work towards your survival.

The island is divided into four hamlets, each racially segregated. Each town has limited access to a select few resources needed to make tools, weapons and armor needed for survival. The hamlets live and die by trade.

So what is there to do?

That largely depends on you and your character. This isn't another MMO where you run out and kill things to collect their stuff. This is a living, breathing environment. If you spend time acting out your character, he will eventually find his own thing to do.

I'm not going to lie and tell you there's always something going on, or that things will happen quickly. We've had periods of time where nothing big has happened only to have things explode over the weekend. However, if you stay active you'll almost always have someone to talk to. There's also things like crafting that can take up (a bit) of time, as well as DM events which tend to happen every so often.

What race/class do I choose?

Whatever you want. Right now at the time of this post, the human/half-elf/half-orc/gnome/halfling consortium have the most players, with the elves and dwarves having a decent number too.

SurlySeraph
2008-01-04, 07:11 PM
Hmm. I might check it out if I have time. I haven't been able to find any NWN2 persistent worlds that were really stable; I hope Haze is different.

Lamoid
2008-01-05, 02:57 AM
I dunno, permadeth DOES seem to inch it closer to real life, something people try to escape by playing MMO's. Sorry, but I also can't find the "PVP death restrictions" you mentioned, unless they're going to be part of another post.

Driderman
2008-01-05, 07:32 AM
I may look into this once I get my computer that can actually run NWN2...