PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch

North
2008-01-04, 07:08 PM
So it looks like Im going to be winning a Ipod 80GB Video for a sales contest at work. Looks pretty basic 80 gigs, video, music etc. But Im wondering if I should pay the difference and upgrade to a 8GB Ipod Touch? Looks a lot prettier, much much bigger screen, wifi, web browsing and more.

Im mainly going to use it for watching tv/movies Ive downloaded off my comp/dvr and web browsing?

Does anyone here have it yet? Is it good? Can I download tv shows that are not itunes onto it?

Any help here would be appreciated, stupid technology.

Zakama
2008-01-04, 07:29 PM
Depends on if you could fill up the 8 gigs. Depending on how much music you have and how long you would keep old TV shows on it, I would go for the touch as it also has wifi. But if you have to much media to fit on one, the video is your best bet. You shouldn't have to worry about size with that one. :smallcool:

Rare Pink Leech
2008-01-04, 11:05 PM
It really depends how often you're going to download videos to watch. If you're like me and you like to dump all of your stuff at once and not bother changing anything for months at a time, then the iPod video is the way to go. Ten times the memory will help you cram on a lot more stuff, obviously.

However, if you're willing to change what you have on the iPod frequently, or if you're always getting new shows, then go for the Touch. The bigger screen will be nicer for watching, and if you're getting new stuff to watch all the time anyway, taking other videos off won't be a problem.

zippthorne
2008-01-04, 11:30 PM
The iPod Touch only has 8 GB? That's just silly. Doesn't it have the largest screen out of all the iPods, thus making it much better suited to movies than the iPod video?

Samiam303
2008-01-05, 01:19 AM
Yeah, and movies aside, I've got far more than 8 GB of music, and I don't even consider myself to have much of a collection. It's as though they're expecting us to all use the same crap bit rates that the iTunes store uses.

North
2008-01-05, 03:06 PM
Yeah 8 gigs is pretty tiny.

Its basically 80 gigs vs way bigger tv screen and wireless.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-05, 03:12 PM
To be completely honest, I don't know what the big deal is.

I don't see enough difference for Apple to credibly argue that this is the next big thing. I have a regular 8 GB iPod and I'm never going to fill it anyway, so what's the big deal?

Zombie pixe
2008-01-05, 05:52 PM
im with Haruki, i generally cant see any special things about ipods.

i have a normal 5 GB mp3, and that is personally so much better than an ipod, and i dont have itunes worming its way iretractably into my computer. also it was about a 3rd the price, for only 3GB less space. havent even filled my 5 GB mp3, so there is no way i would need a 80 GB one, or even an 8!

Samiam303
2008-01-05, 07:04 PM
Seriously, I'm usually a hardcore Apple hater, but if they had the touch in the same sizes as the video iPods, I'd go out and get a job simply so I could buy one. They really are that cool, particularly the internet browsing capabilities.

valadil
2008-01-05, 08:37 PM
iPod touch is smaller because its a flash based instead of hard drive based. This is how they have room for a bigger screen.

8GB is plenty for most peoples music collections, but it really isn't a lot of space for video. DVD quality movies are usually 4.0GB, but compressed they go down to .7 or so. It's probably fine for one or two videos at a time, but you couldn't store a bunch on it.

You can indeed put other videos on your iPod than those you get with ITMS. iTunes can convert most video files into an iPod compatible format.