PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Enchanter?

MammonAzrael
2008-01-04, 08:08 PM
What character would make the ultimate enchanter of magical items? The best class to go merchanting?

So far, I think it's a Warlock 12/Chameleon 2/???

Warlock 12 gets you both Deceive Item(can always take 10 on UMD) and Imbue Item(can enchant with spells you don't know with a UMD check).

Chameleon 2 gets you the floating bonus feat. Each day you can change it to whatever creation feat you need. You'll also need Able Learner to get in the class, which means you'll never have to worry about cross-class skills.

After that, I don't know. I could've sworn there was a spell that allowed you to create or shape non-magical items that could've been quite useful, but I don't recall.

Your thoughts?

Xefas
2008-01-04, 08:09 PM
Why not Artificer for the blank levels? Lots of free crafting feats and XP...not to mention the infusions...

Chronicled
2008-01-04, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I'd say Artificer does a better job than pretty much any other class or combo.

MammonAzrael
2008-01-04, 08:23 PM
I've never seen the Artificer (though I've heard about it). What book is it in? What're it's abilities that make it so perfect for crafting?

Xefas
2008-01-04, 08:33 PM
It's in...an Eberron book. Campaign Setting maybe? I dunno...one of my players has all the Eberron books- I just buy the generic ones for DMing with.

It gets a free pool of "Crafting XP" every level, that lets it craft from the pool without losing its own XP. It also gets free craft feats, a Homunculus companion, and I think it also gets something like the Warlock's imbue and deceive item (though I'm not sure on those).

Plus, it has "Infusions" which are like temporary item buffs that they can place on their and other peoples' equipment.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-04, 08:37 PM
It's in...an Eberron book. Campaign Setting maybe? I dunno...one of my players has all the Eberron books- I just buy the generic ones for DMing with.

It gets a free pool of "Crafting XP" every level, that lets it craft from the pool without losing its own XP. It also gets free craft feats, a Homunculus companion, and I think it also gets something like the Warlock's imbue and deceive item (though I'm not sure on those).

Plus, it has "Infusions" which are like temporary item buffs that they can place on their and other peoples' equipment.

It also has the zomglwaffles 'free metamagic on charged items' ability.

UserClone
2008-01-04, 08:42 PM
In addition, it gets the ability to take10 on UMD. I'd skip Warlock altogether, honestly.
Edit: You could also throw in Maester, of Complete Adventurer "fame".

Randel
2008-01-04, 08:55 PM
The artificer can emulate the spell requirements when making magic items by making Use Magic Device checks, if properly maxed out in UMD they can emulate pretty much any needed spell that other characters of their level can cast.

They get almost all item creation feats as bonus feats. Scribe scroll, brew potion, craft wondrous item... they get it free at around the levels others can take the feat. Though some special item creation feats like craft construct or craft schema (its like a reusable scroll found in Magic of Eberron) you still have to use a feat to get.

Craft Reserve, artificers get a few crafting points that act like experience points for crafting magic items. They get a certain number each time they level up and can't save them up between levels, so it encourages them to use them.

There are some feats in the Eberron campaign setting the Artificer shows up in that reduce the gold cost, xp cost, or the time used in crafting magic items. Anyone who does lots of crafting benefits from them but artificers are designed to craft stuff.

Also, Artificers can make homunculus to help them, its like a wizards familiar except it does a specific task, you can craft more than one and it costs money to craft it (also if it is killed you take 2d10 damage, but can make another one). One of these you can craft is a Dedicated Wright, one you make the checks to craft an item and give it the supplies, it will keep crafting things for you while you go off adventuring.

So yeah, they are pretty good for crafting stuff.

SilverClawShift
2008-01-04, 08:57 PM
Artificers can also "Disassemble" existing magical items and recover the XP used to create them, to fill their crafting reserve back up. So you can make stuff without touching your real XP, if you occasionally find magical items, potions, scrolls, ect, that your party doesn't really need and wouldn't mind you taking instead of selling.

MammonAzrael
2008-01-04, 09:10 PM
I'll have to take a look at it, thanks.