PDA

View Full Version : The Best Live Album

Moff Chumley
2008-01-04, 08:21 PM
I nominate Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads. Everything about is examplerary of how a live album should be recorded.

Metal Head
2008-01-04, 08:26 PM
I have to go with either Rock in Rio by Iron Maiden, or Alive in Athens by Iced Earth. Both have the greatest songs each band has done.

Semidi
2008-01-04, 09:18 PM
Rock in Rio is indeed a great album, but I have to go with Metallica's S&M album. Metallica isn’t my favorite, but the orchestra really adds an extra element of awesome to their songs.

EntilZha
2008-01-04, 09:32 PM
Seems like Rio is THE place to go to record a great live album. I was absolutely thrilled with Rush in Rio.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-01-04, 10:03 PM
Reel Big Fish's Our Live Album is Better Than Yours (or something close to that). I mean, the name practically screams that it's the best live album out there.

Metal Head
2008-01-04, 11:04 PM
Rock in Rio is indeed a great album, but I have to go with Metallica's S&M album. Metallica isn’t my favorite, but the orchestra really adds an extra element of awesome to their songs.

I don't know....The orchestra just made it sound really weird in my opinion. Besides, Maiden is better than Metallica.

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-01-04, 11:53 PM
AC/DC LIVE, every track taken to the billionth level, nuff said

Raistlin1040
2008-01-05, 12:08 AM
Does Rush-Different Stages Live count? It's 3 different concerts on three CDs, but all in one case. It's awesome.

Smeik
2008-01-05, 06:55 AM
Yeah, i wanted to nominate Rock in Rio also, but as it already was nominated before, i have to hold up the flag of German music.

So, there is "Nackt" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGplB_LJYs), the acoustic album of subway to Sally.
Oh, and Die Ärzte with "Nach uns die Sintflut".
And Die Toten Hosen with "Im Auftrag des Herrn". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWcwnTw15AY)

Narmoth
2008-01-05, 07:42 AM
I'm particulary found of Gary Moores live albums from the early 80s.
And Black Sabbath Live with Ozzy is great to.
Heaven and Hell Live was great album also...

Then again, I have to listen to a lot more music to deside.

LCR
2008-01-05, 09:10 AM
Familiar to Millions by Oasis.

The album could consist of nothing more than "****ing in the Bushes" (the intro track) and it'd still blow your mind.

Smeik
2008-01-05, 12:43 PM
Wow. I feel ashamed for myself.

I have actually forgotten to mention my absolute favourite. "The roundhouse Tapes" by Opeth. How could i?

Best Live album ever.

mause
2008-01-05, 12:49 PM
Belle and Sebastian If you're feeling sinister liive at the barbican

anyone suports me?

Metal Head
2008-01-05, 12:50 PM
Wow. I feel ashamed for myself.

I have actually forgotten to mention my absolute favourite. "The roundhouse Tapes" by Opeth. How could i?

Best Live album ever.

It would be if Opeth was any good.

Smeik
2008-01-05, 12:53 PM

:smalleek: Someone criticizes the pure awesomeness that is Opeth! Burn the heretic!

...Only kidding. Though i would like to know how you come to say, that Opeth isn't good.
hides a torch behind his back

Azerian Kelimon
2008-01-05, 02:26 PM
I'll go with the Who's Live at leeds, which is frickin' amazing, or Maiden's Live after death. It lacks many songs, but all of them have really good quality.

...But on second thought, I remembered THE live album: Holy Diver Live. The original is really good, but the live version makes it a hundred times better.

SurlySeraph
2008-01-05, 06:08 PM

Beat me to it. I love that album; there are so many of their songs that are just better with the orchestra. The S&M versions of a lot of the songs were the first time I appreciated them; Until it Sleeps, for example. It just has an entirely different level of pathos with the orchestra.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-05, 06:21 PM
I'd have to say "Live at the Roxy" by Social Distortion.

Bust the best live album this year? "Trapt Live!" by, shockingly, Trapt.

Emrylon
2008-01-05, 06:34 PM
Live and dangerous by Thin Lizzy

Live at Leeds by the Who

Live at Hyde Park by RHCP

Live at Dakota by the Stereophonics

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-01-06, 12:11 AM
S&M is a really good album, but I'm going to toss my hat into the ring for Double Live by Garth Brooks.

Narmoth
2008-01-06, 04:30 AM

Well, if you prefer new Iced Earth to old, I understand that you don't like Opeth. For us older guys (and 14 year old girls) Opeth is great.

Arcturus has this live dvd, Shipwrecked in Oslo, that absolutely amqazing. But I doubt it was released as an album also

Moff Chumley
2008-01-06, 12:45 PM
Live at Leeds is indeed very good, as is almost anything Sabbath does live, but no support for Stop Making Sense?

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-06, 04:29 PM
Yeah, Stop Making Sense is definitely up there. Excellent album in every respect.

Also, how has no one else mentioned The Last Waltz by The Band?

smellie_hippie
2008-01-06, 06:11 PM
My opinions will vary greatly from the theme on this thread...

I'd have to say Phish, Hampton Comes Alive. It's a six disc set from two days of shows in Hampton. Now I'll go a step further to explain why this is the best ever in my opinion... I was there.

Live albums are great. I think they are much better than studio cuts in fact. But nothing... NOTHING... tops a live disc for a show you were actually at. :smallwink:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-01-06, 06:30 PM
Live albums are great. I think they are much better than studio cuts in fact. But nothing... NOTHING... tops a live disc for a show you were actually at. :smallwink:

That reminds me, I still haven't gotten the DVD of The Who concert I was at last December (2006) in St. Paul.

Shadow of the Sun
2008-01-06, 08:19 PM
Hmmm. I'll have to go with the official bootleg album from the best band in the past two decades: Bootleg Detroit recorded from a 1994 show by the band Morphine.

Malec2b
2008-01-06, 11:14 PM
I'd say Yessongs by Yes. It's a two CD album (Originally 3 records) that's got full live versions of most of the songs from The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. It's even got the full ~18 minutes of the song Close to the Edge performed. Some of the songs even have extended instrumentals bringing a couple of ~9 minute songs to ~14 minutes.

Lord of the Helms
2008-01-07, 08:09 AM
When it comes to the essential purpose of a live album - to give you a taste of the experience, the intensity and the atmosphere of a live concert, the crowd-band interaction and such, Wolfsbane's Massive Noise Injection is the winner, hands down. "If you're not getting your fists up in the air before we go off this stage, I'm going out there and I'm gonna f***ing kill you f***ers!"

"You! Fat! Bastards!" - "Don't I just look so ravishing tonight? And you have the audacity to call us fat bastards? You. ****ing. Wankers. If you're gonna call us anytihng, do it a damn slight louder than that, you weeds!" - Wonderful :smallbiggrin:

Quite frankly, Blaze Bayley + live crowd = more win than one might think physically possible. As Live As It Gets is also extremely good, though not quite as intense as the Wolfsbane album.

Sundog
2008-01-07, 10:31 AM
A little older but it should be up there: The Hot Summer Night tour album by Neil Diamond.

Flawless
2008-01-07, 12:35 PM
It's definitely Rising in the East by Judas Priest. They rock so hard. Harder than Maiden ever did.

Flawless
2008-01-07, 12:40 PM
It's definitely Rising in the East by Judas Priest. They rock so hard. Harder than Maiden ever did.

maskimus
2008-01-07, 01:02 PM
:FRAMPTON COMES ALIVEsmallwink:

zeratul
2008-01-07, 04:01 PM
Nirvana Unplugged: Live in NY

or

Blind Guardian LIVE

Narmoth
2008-01-07, 04:07 PM

Have only their studio albums. But aren't they playing exactly the same solos live as on the studio versions?

Blind Guardian LIVE

I actually prefer Tokyo Tales by Blind Guardian.
Which reminds me: Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes are cool (and probably where BG got their livealbums name from)

Amotis
2008-01-08, 02:29 AM
Belle and Sebastian If you're feeling sinister liive at the barbican

anyone suports me?

I do!

Just because you had the balls to scream twee pop in front of all the metal heads. :smalltongue: (and that it's a great album)

I personally love Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's Summer in the Southeast.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-01-08, 07:36 AM
It would be a big toss up for me between Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album by Reel Big Fish, as previously mentioned, or Live in Flint, Michigan byClutch.

Moff Chumley
2008-01-12, 01:17 PM
I'd say Yessongs by Yes. It's a two CD album (Originally 3 records) that's got full live versions of most of the songs from The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. It's even got the full ~18 minutes of the song Close to the Edge performed. Some of the songs even have extended instrumentals bringing a couple of ~9 minute songs to ~14 minutes.

Indeed, Yessongs is fantastic, one of my favorites. I have it on DVD; it is amazing. The Rick Wakeman solo (:smallwink: ) is one of my biggest musical inspirations, and Close to the Edge still goes unmatched as the prog anthem. Right up there with it is Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, by ELP. Kieth Emerson is god.

Frampton Comes Alive indeed. :smallwink:

Stycotl
2008-01-12, 01:32 PM
well, despite how much led zepplin and black sabbath aree my favorite bands, it would have to be S&M by metallica. i just can't get over how awesome that album is. a shame that so many metallica fans don't like it.

although, after i posted this, i remembered Johnny Cash's At Fulsom Prison album. That has to be one of the best ever made. the between-song commentary is real cool.

Amotis
2008-01-13, 02:28 AM
ooh oh, I also just got this album/dvd by DJ Shadow called "In Time and In Tune" which is bloody awesome. I recommend it to any fan of the genre.

although, after i posted this, i remembered Johnny Cash's At Fulsom Prison album. That has to be one of the best ever made. the between-song commentary is real cool.

Pretty funny too.

"I sure love to watch you talk."

"But I'm talking with my mouth. It's up here!"