PDA

View Full Version : Does this encounter sound good?

Sofaking
2008-01-04, 09:08 PM
Okay so it's the room right before a major enemy NPC. The party is all 8th level, a psionic warrior, a cleric, a wizard, and a druid with dire bat companion. The room is about 10x10 squares with 4 large columns in the middle. The floor is covered in 2 feet of various bones. So movement is halved and no running or charging. Anyway within the columns are devices which will reanimate the bones. So every round 4d2 skeletons will be raised. I plan on doing this until 10 rounds have passed. The room is 10 by 10 because i will roll 2d10s to figure out where they pop up. So my question is what HD should I make the skeletons for this encounter, or does it just sound like a bad idea which I should scratch?

UserClone
2008-01-05, 12:02 AM
Depends. Are your Cleric and Druid 'Zillas? Is your PsyWar optimized? Does your Wizard buff the party more or cast save/sucks more? If yes, then give 'em more HD.

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-05, 01:17 AM
I'd say the HD need to be at least 4-5 range, which is a CR 2. Anything lower than that and the PCs will just stomp all over them, and as it is what with a tank/caster (psi-war) and a cleric, it will already be tough for the skellies, though a lot will also rely on how fast the PCs can kill them. If they can each wipe out at least one a round, then the skeletons will all be dead (again) before they can even fight back.

Of course, a lot also relies on the PCs. Are they opted? Is the cleric good at killing undead? Who has a blunt weapon? Etc. These are all things that can make it easier or harder for the PCs, and need to be considered.