PDA

View Full Version : The mane event: Aiphron, High Ranger Leonal

Magnor Criol
2008-01-05, 02:52 AM
More puns! Hooray! :D

Mainly, I'd really appreciate it if someone could double-check my formatting and number-crunching to make sure I did the math here right. But a few more specific questions are as follows:

For ranged full attack: I used only the class levels (Drd 4/Rgr 6) to determine the number of attacks with the bow. Should I muck into Epic rules and give it…I think it'd be a +19/+14/+9/+4 for 19 Outsider HD, +0 for 1 Druid level, and +5 Epic bonus for 9 levels over 20th 'level', for a total of +24/+14/+9/+4, I think?
For that matter: I don't suppose he could get extra claw attacks, could he?
Take note of the special ability "Elysian Druidic Training" down below (under "Class (and class-related) abilities," highlighted in red for spotting convenience). It's one I just made up; I needed Aiophron to have a stronger animal companion that he would get if his EDL was 7. Is this ability acceptable?
Technically he shouldn't be able to get a celestial animal as a companion; there's a feat that allows it, but because it's in BoED and I'm trying to keep it core-only, I didn't give it to him. It seems plausible, however, since his native plane is one of the celestial outer planes, that a celestial animal would be a normal animal companion for him. I reduced his EDL by one, as per the rules they suggested in the feat description, to keep it fair.

And, of course, anything you see that needs commenting on is very much welcomed.

I'd still like comments on the clawsheaths, but I moved them to the second post; they're less important.

Aiophron, High Ranger Leonal
Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Good, Guardinal)
HD: 19d8 (Outsider) + 4d8 (Druid) +6d8 (Ranger) + 203 (354 hp)
Init: +3
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC: 28 (+3 Dex, +16 natural, -1 size), touch 12, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +28/+43
Attack: Claw +39 melee (1d8+12) or Ehlonna's Reach +32 ranged (four arrows, 2d6 +6 each, or 4d6 + 8 each vs evil outsiders) (See below)
Full-Attack: 2 claws +39 melee (1d8+12) and bite +37 melee (2d6+6); or Ehlonna's Reach composite longbow +38/+38/+30 ranged (2d6 +6, or 4d6 + 8 vs evil outsiders) (See below)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Roar, pounce, improved grab, rake 1d8+12, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: DR 10/evil and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and petrification, lay on hands, low-light vision, protective aura, resistance to cold 10 and sonic 10, SR 28, speak with animals, animal companion, Elysian druidic training, nature sense, wild empathy, woodland stride, trackless step, resist nature's lure, favored enemy aberration +2, favored enemy outsider (evil) +4
Saves: Fort +23 (+27 against poison), Ref +15, Will +18
Abilities: Str 35 (+12), Dex 16 (+3), Con 24 (+7), Int 14 (+2), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 16 (+3)
Skills: Balance +17, Climb +12, Concentration +27, Diplomacy +13, Handle Animal +11, Heal +3, Hide +38, Intimidate +25, Jump +20, Knowledge (Geography) +7, Knowledge (Nature) +18, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Knowledge (The Planes) +7, Listen +25, Move Silently +38, Ride +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +18, Spellcraft +10, Spot +25, Survival +37, Swim +12, Use Rope +3
Feats: Ability Focus (roar), Awesome Blow, Cleave, Dodge, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Mobility, Multiattack, Spring Attack, Track, Endurance (B), Rapid Shot (B), Manyshot (B)
Challenge Rating: 28
Alignment: Neutral Good

Aiophron is a stalwart champion of good and of nature, and as such is a strong adherent of Ehlonna; he spends as much of his time in her domain in the Beastlands as he does in Elysium with Talisid and the other leonals.
Aiophron can speak Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, Draconic, Common, Druidic, and Sylvan.

Combat
Aiophron prefers to stalk his foes, studying them before he engages. This requires him to know where his foes are – and that he has foes nearby at all. To this end, his eagle companion, Ismarn, flies above and scouts. Using his Speak With Animals ability to understand her, Aiophron uses her intel to prepare himself against enemies.
The spells he has access to cannot do any significant damage to many of his opponents, and his spell slots are rather limited, so he mainly uses spells that can hamper the enemy's movement or surprise them somehow. A favorite tactic of his is to prepare an ambush using create water to get the ground wet in a path the enemy is likely to be crossing, followed by soften earth and stone to make a mud pit. If the enemy is likely to notice the trap, he'll cast a fog cloud on top of the mud to obscure it. He'll make use of longstrider spells to run circles around the enemy before they've seen him, attacking from multiple sides and making them think there's more than one attacker. Fog cloud and obscuring mist make excellent in-combat covers and diversions.
In combat itself, Aiophron will either open up with shots from his longbow, hitting the enemy long before they can hit him (assuming he has the drop on them). When they close to range of his roar, he'll use one, rushing in quickly to shred the nearest foe while they're still reeling. He uses Awesome Blow to scatter his opponents, denying them the ability to use flanking and side-by-side tactics. If he's fighting an enemy he's confident he can hit, he'll use power attack to add +15 to his damage.
Aiophron’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons he wields, are treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Direct-combat abilities -Ehlonna's Reach: Aiophron possesses a special, magical composite longbow that he has named Ehlonna's Reach. It is a +4 Distance Keen Evil Outsider Bane Composite Longbow (+5 strength bonus). To further augment his ranged ability, Aiophron has a massive stock of magical arrows. The bulk of his cache are simple +1 arrows (these are reflected in the stat block). In addition, he possesses 150 holy, 150 axiomatic, and 150 anarchic arrows; and 100 flaming burst, 100 icy burst, 100 shocking burst, 100 thundering, and 100 merciful arrows.

Roar (Su): Aiophron can roar up to three times per day. Each roar releases a blast in a 60-foot cone that duplicates the effects of a holy word spell and deals an extra 2d6 points of sonic damage (Fortitude DC 22 negates). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Pounce (Ex): If Aiophron charges a foe, he can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Improved Grab (Ex):To use this ability, Aiophron must hit with his bite attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can rake them.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +39 melee, damage 1d6+8.

Favored Enemy (Ex): Aiophron has selected outsiders (evil) and aberrations as his favored enemies. His bonus against evil outsiders is +4; against aberrations, it is +2. When making Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, or Survival checks and damage rolls against one of these types of creature, he gains the corresponding bonus.

Combat Style (Ex): Aiophron has selected the archery combat style. He has gained the Rapid Shot and Manyshot feats as bonus feats.
Defensive or buff abilities -Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of Aiophron. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level 29). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in Aiophron’s statistics block.)

Resist Nature’s Lure (Ex): Aiophron gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey.

Lay on Hands (Su): As the paladin class feature, except that each day, Aiophron can heal an amount of damage equal to what his full hit points would be if he received maximum points for each die. This grants him 435 points of healing, unless his hit die total is reduced.
Class (and class-related) abilities - Speak with Animals (Su): This ability works like speak with animals (caster level 8th) but is a free action and does not require sound.

Animal Companion (Ex): Aiophron's animal companion is a small female celestial eagle named Ismarn (stats below). His effective druid level is 15.

Elysian Druidic Training (Ex): Aiophron has trained with Talisid and Kharash in the lore of the natural world and the ways of the druidic life; he adds half his racial HD, rounded down (9) to his effective druid level when determining his animal companion and its abilities.

Link with Companion (Ex): Aiophron can handle his animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action.. Aiophron gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding his animal companion.

Share Spells (Ex): If Ismarn is within 5 feet at the time of casting, Aiophron can elect to have any spell he casts on himself also affect her. He may cast spells with a target of "you" on Ismarn.

Wild Empathy (Ex): Aiophron can improve the attitude of an animal in the same way as a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. Aiophron rolls 1d20+14, or 1d20+10 if attempting to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2.

Woodland Stride (Ex): Aiophron may move through natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

Trackless Step (Ex): Aiophron leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
Skill- and Racial-based abilities - Nature Sense (Ex): Aiophron gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.

Skills: Aiophron has a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, and Move Silently checks (leonal racial quality) and a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks (Nature Sense druidic ability). These bonuses are already reflected in the statistics block.

Outsider Traits: Darkvision 60 ft; cannot be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected; proficient with all simple and martial weapons; does not need to eat or sleep.

Guardinal Traits: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-light vision; immunity to electricity and petrification; resistance to cold 10 and
sonic 10; Lay On Hands (see above); Speak With Animals (see above); +4 racial bonus to saves versus poison.
Spell-like abilities and spells prepared - Spell-Like Abilities: At will—detect thoughts, fireball (DC 15), hold monster (DC 17), wall of force; 3/day—cure critical wounds (DC 16), neutralize poison, remove disease; 1/day—heal (DC 18). Caster level 10th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Druid Spells Prepared (5/4/3; save DC 13 + spell level; CL 4): 0—create water (3), detect magic (2); 1—obscuring mist (2), longstrider (2); 2—fog cloud, soften earth and stone (2)

Ranger Spells Prepared (2; save DC 13; CL 3): 1—entangle (2)

Ismarn, Celestial Eagle Animal Companion
Small magical beast
HD: 9d8+1 (39 hp)
Init: +4
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)
AC: 24 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +9 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+7
Attack: Talons +14 melee (1d4)
Full-Attack: 2 talons +14 melee (1d4) and bite +9 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Smite Evil
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-light vision, DR 5/magic, SR 14, resistance to acid, cold, and electricity 10, Devotion, Evasion
Saves: Fort Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +6 (+10 vs. enchantments and mind-affecting effects)
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 16, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +26
Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Mobility, Multiattack (B), Weapon Finesse (B)
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Neutral good

Ismarn is a close cohort of Aiophron's. Her primary role is one of scouting, flying high above the area and using her excellent vision to notice anyone nearby. She reports what she sees to Aiophron, who uses his Speak With Animals ability to understand her. When not off scouting or hunting for food, she is usually perched on Aiophron's right shoulder.

Combat
Ismarn dives at prey, raking with her powerful talons. She mainly serves as a distraction, attempting to confuse foes and grant Aiophron flanking bonuses. Though her celestial abilities give her more durability than a mundane eagle, she is hardly tough; if in serious danger of death, she will retreat as far away as she needs to go to be safe.
Ismarn's talons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Direct-combat abilities - Smite Evil (Su): Once per day, Ismarn can turn a normal melee attack into a smite attack, dealing extra damage equal to her HD (maximum of +20) against an evil target.
Defensive or buff abilities - Evasion (Ex): If Ismarn is subjected to an effect that normally allows a Reflex save for half damage, she takes no damage on a successful throw.

Devotion (Ex): Ismarn's devotion to Aiophron is so complete that she gains a +4 morale bonus on will saves against enchantments and mind-affecting effects.
Class, skill, and racial abilities - Bonus Tricks: Ismarn is capable of learning 5 tricks in addition to what Aiophron teaches it with the Handle Animal skill. These tricks do not count against her normal limit of 6 tricks known (See the Handle Animal skill description). Aiophron has taught her the

Multiattack: Ismarn gains Multiattack as a bonus feat.

Skills: Eagles have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Magnor Criol
2008-01-05, 02:53 AM
Slight edits made to the clawsheaths, namely, that they can now be magically enhanced as weapons can be.

Clawsheath: These paw-sized metallic objects fit over a leonal's paws. Extending from each is a set of sharp spikes that line up with the leonal's claws. They do not increase damage, but they allow a leonal's claws to be considered to be made of a certain material for the purposese of overcoming damage reduction, depending on the material the clawsheath is made of. For example, a Silvered Clawsheath overcomes the damage reduction of lycanthropes and most demons.
Clawsheaths require a diligent and skilled craftsman to create, and are always considered masterwork weapons (this is reflected in their price already.) The cost and weight given are for a single clawsheath.
An average clawsheath does not confer any magical abilities on the wearer, only the ability to bypass certain damage reductions; however, a clawsheath can be magically enhanced with bonuses and magical properties. Follow the normal rules for costs of magically enhancing a weapon to enhance a clawsheath. A clawsheath so enhanced confers its bonuses and abilities on the claw attacks of the leonal wielding them.
An opponent cannot use a disarm action to disarm the leonal of clawsheaths. Clawsheaths are fitted to an individual leonal; a leonal attempting to use a clawsheath that is not specifically their own takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and damage, and there is a 15% chance upon each successful hit that the clawsheath will break.

Name | Cost | Weight
Clawsheath, Basic¹ | 320 gp | 1 lb.
Clawsheath, Silvered² | 340 gp | 1 lb.
Clawsheath, Cold Iron | 640 gp | 1 lb.
Clawsheath, Adamantine | 3320 gp | 1 lb.
¹ This is included for purposes of determining price only (for creating clawsheaths of other materials than those presented here.) This would have no effect as-is.
² Silvered Clawsheaths do not incur a -1 penalty to damage like normal silvered weapons do.

Magnor Criol
2008-01-05, 02:56 AM
Reserved for later posting, part 2: Electric Boogaloo.
(Because that joke's never been made before.)

Umarth
2008-01-05, 08:37 AM
This thread on the EN World boards seems to talk about the penalties for fallen celestials.

http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-144924.html

Magnor Criol
2008-01-05, 02:18 PM
Somewhat helpful for my first question; I actually went and bought Anger of Angels, since it looked good, and it should be quite helpful.

I'm still curious about what people think of the clawsheaths, though.

pyrefiend
2008-01-06, 04:36 PM
They seem fine and fairly straightforward to me. The prices seem fine for a weapon which only change the type of metal your weapons are treated as.

Magnor Criol
2008-01-07, 03:45 AM
There! Posted Aiophron, my plot-central leonal up for perusal and commentation. See first post for details. Please don't hold back; I want this guy to be good, and to do that, I need someone not me looking at it and proofreading it.

They seem fine and fairly straightforward to me. The prices seem fine for a weapon which only change the type of metal your weapons are treated as.

Glad to hear you agree. I wanted a simple way for Aiophron to be able to damage Outsider enemies once he lost his good-aligned weapon feature. I still think that the adamantine version's price, nearly eleven times that of the others, is exceedingly high.