PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: July 05 I

Pages : [1] 2 3

Winged One
2005-07-01, 01:16 AM
Fear my swift topic-starting! And discuss the comics here when they are up...

Melange
2005-07-01, 01:22 AM
You and Lilly have too much fun month-swaping...

Lilly
2005-07-01, 01:23 AM
My internet crapped out while I was making the other one!

Uh, yeah it is too much fun.

And Ka-Stick!

Winged One
2005-07-01, 01:24 AM
I'm just bored, awake and within reach of an internet connection at the correct time. ;D

EDIT TO ESCAPE THE WRATH OF MOD: Why do you suppose the Giant didn't post a guest comic today? Could it be that there will be a real comic?

Melange
2005-07-01, 01:44 AM
And Ka-Stick!

Ka-Stick?

Poeir
2005-07-01, 01:48 AM
Probably can't get online for whatever reason--you'll note he's made no posts today, either, and normally he does when a comic's expected and not there.

But, uh, here's a brief dialogue I wrote about a rogue I made with 11 ranks in Bluff and Forgery, (edit for Melange) plus 11 ranks in Disguise and a hat of disguise (end edit).
Brook (in Lieutenant uniform with official documents): "'Tention! I am your new Lieutenant. Due to budget cuts, you're fired."
Guard: "So you're not really my new Lieutenant, are you?"
Brook: "Technically, no."
Guard: "You suck, sir." (leaves)
(The next day)
Captain: "What on Earth were you thinking?"
Guard: "What do you mean? I was told I was fired!"
Captain: "Of course you're fired, you let a thief walk right into the house! Through the front door!"

Lilly
2005-07-01, 01:52 AM
Ka-Stick?

You notice how the thread is "stuck" to the top of the page? It wasn't like that before...

Well here's to Rich's wrist getting better and #200 being really long and good when it finally decides to show up.

Melange
2005-07-01, 02:02 AM
Ah, mod sound effects.... It all makes sense..... thank you for clarifying....

as for the dialogue, funny, though you forgot to do a disguise check....

Nikolai_II
2005-07-01, 02:18 AM
Well here's to Rich's wrist getting better and #200 being really long and good when it finally decides to show up.

I just hope he doesn't forget about #199 ;) :P

Melange
2005-07-01, 02:42 AM
I just hope he doesn't forget about #199 ;) :P

Or 198....

Sundog
2005-07-01, 06:21 AM
Woo! The new stuff's up. I love the pictures of Elan and Vaarsuvius, but doesn't Haley look a little too sophisticated? I always saw her as more farm-girl pretty, Lovely but muscular and strong.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-07-01, 06:56 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that photo composite of V looks like Michael Ian Black? Look at just the face for a minute.....Regardless, I think it looks distinctly male.

Darasen
2005-07-01, 08:14 AM
The new pictures are nice. All of the ones of V posted so far are more gender discernable. It is easier to make one look androgynous with dtick figures.

yrro
2005-07-01, 09:30 AM
I dunno, I think the Bishounen look is perfect for V.

Frojoe21
2005-07-01, 10:53 AM
Belkar looked a little...old and fat. Not exactly how I pictured him.

Aeek
2005-07-01, 10:57 AM
The new pictures are nice. All of the ones of V posted so far are more gender discernable. It is easier to make one look androgynous with dtick figures.

It's trivial to make a clearly male stick figure.
"dtick", freudian typo.
Harder to do curves with straight lines

Sylian
2005-07-01, 05:31 PM
Belkar looked a little...old and fat. Not exactly how I pictured him.
Pictured him? Eh, doesn't Rich already draw pictures of him? Are ye saying that Rich is feeding us with fake pictures? :o

I have always though that the characters looked as they were drawn. It is one thing picturing characters from a book, and another picturing characters from a comic.

The later doesn't make much sense, does it?

Whamme
2005-07-01, 06:29 PM
Pictured him? Eh, doesn't Rich already draw pictures of him? Are ye saying that Rich is feeding us with fake pictures? :o

I have always though that the characters looked as they were drawn. It is one thing picturing characters from a book, and another picturing characters from a comic.

The later doesn't make much sense, does it?

Makes plenty of sense. Picturing what the stick figures would look like if they weren't stick figures. Like picturing what a black and white strip would look like in colour, or a classic cartoon would like in anime style.

Poeir
2005-07-01, 07:10 PM
I always assume all comics can do with embellishing and that the characters are not what the characters look like, but representations of what the characters are doing with their most salient features. Same for video games. This means that, for example, perhaps Vaarsuvius is wearing a cape or a cloak, perhaps it is attached in the middle, or perhaps it is attached to the shoulders. My own personal vision is that it's fastened at the center and that V wears no jewelry but the cloak clasp and headband. Someone else may differ.

This does not only apply to The Order of the Stick. For instance, I suspect that Dilbert carries a cell phone and probably a PDA, but the character is not drawn with these items attached.

Taelas
2005-07-02, 11:09 AM
Comics are usually simplified quite a bit.

OOTS is simplified more. ;)

I imagine the OOTSers in a "realistic" style often enough.

Aeek
2005-07-02, 11:28 AM
I imagine the OOTSers in a "realistic" style often enough.

I don't. I don't notice the stickiness that much either, the clothing and hair add so much bulk.

SimonMoon5
2005-07-02, 12:14 PM
For instance, I suspect that Dilbert carries a cell phone and probably a PDA, but the character is not drawn with these items attached.

Oh, and I suppose you think Dilbert has a mouth too, even though he's not drawn with one? That seems totally unrealistic to me. ;) :);D

Aeek
2005-07-02, 11:25 PM
Oh, and I suppose you think Dilbert has a mouth too, even though he's not drawn with one? That seems totally unrealistic to me. ;) :);D

or that BunBun is nonlethal and doesn't talk, because he is after all a bunny rabbit. That would be realistic.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2005-07-03, 10:56 AM
Just want to comment that I am really enjoying Sprained Wrist Theater.

I don't tend to picture the characters as other than they are drawn, but I am really enjoying other people's visions of them. And since it started, I've been imagining the characters as drawn by the team that does Kim Possible. ;D

Estrogen
2005-07-03, 04:12 PM
I think all the ones of V so far have been very androgynous, as opposed to what a few people have said about them so far.

I totally love the photo composite of V! I don't know why, but I've always loved when I can't tell if a person is male or female :p

Nightmarenny
2005-07-03, 10:36 PM
So do we know if monday will yeild a comic?

Frojoe21
2005-07-04, 12:29 AM
Well, according to my watch its 12:30 am, so heres hoping.

Ruroshen
2005-07-04, 02:39 AM
Woo! The new stuff's up. I love the pictures of Elan and Vaarsuvius, but doesn't Haley look a little too sophisticated? I always saw her as more farm-girl pretty, Lovely but muscular and strong.

See, this was my thinking too, which is why I drew he in my fan-strip as being a little on the muscular side, and didn't overly feminize her by adding eyelases or lipstick. She's Betty, not Veronica, if Betty could bench-press more than Archie and Jughead put together. ;D

Apparently I went overboard on the muscles, though, as some people were kinda creeped out by it. :o

Nighthawk4
2005-07-04, 04:57 AM
I see Haley as lithe and fit, not too muscular. She is a Rogue, not a Fighter. More like a track athlete than a weight-lifter or shot-putter. Also, I see her as more of the 'girl-next-door' type than the super-model - pretty but not gorgeous.

Elan should not be muscular. He is a Bard, not a Fighter. A friendly, slightly naive sort of guy - charismatic, but not too bright.

Belkar I think would be more like Danny DeVito than Mickey Rooney. Perhaps slimmer than Danny - more like Danny Baker (the guy who played R2D2). Unfortunately, both of these appear too comical - Belkar is evil ;)

As for Roy, I think Ving Rhames - or perhaps Samuel L Jackson or even Lindo DelRoy (remember Lindo in Get Shorty, explaining things to Yayo?)

The Sprained Wrist Theatre is good, but I still miss OOTS - hope Rich is feeling better - not just because I want the comics back of course :D

The Giant
2005-07-04, 05:19 AM
New OOTS is up. The Sprained Wrist Theater turned out to be a little more work than I was really up for; I decided it was better to rest for two extra days and not touch the computer at all. The ones that posted and many of the ones that didn't make it will show up in the Extras section soon.

Nikolai_II
2005-07-04, 05:22 AM
Yay! Comic - right now!

Sprained wrists, art upgrades, musical mastery - many minor smileys as the OOTS return and set up the stage in anticipation of this fridays grand extravaganza ;D

Sc00by
2005-07-04, 05:25 AM
It's an art upgrade. And a new skill check... Wonder how many ranks Roy has in that ;)

Great stuff, good to see that the wrist thing hasn't affected the brain! Nice nod to it with Elan too, though I've always thought that he has more of a sprained head

Bogardan_Mage
2005-07-04, 05:26 AM
Rofl at the first frame of #198. Pity the joke will be lost on those who weren't regular viewers at the time.

Psymon
2005-07-04, 05:28 AM
I like Roy's new boots, not to sure about Elan's clasp though.

"Thats what we call a low % scenario"

Genius!

Nighthawk4
2005-07-04, 05:38 AM
Very funny. Good to have you back Giant :D

Psymon
2005-07-04, 05:51 AM
I've just noticed the new mystical etchings on V's cloak, cool!

(this is the bit where someones points out that they've always been there.)

Wunderhund
2005-07-04, 05:59 AM
Elan: You know, I've been thinking...
Roy: I've had nightmares that start this way.

Classic OOTS! ;D

sisha
2005-07-04, 06:26 AM
Great, Giant!!!

Now you have to tell us if Elan's injury was
pre-figured or you had.. let's say...
a kind of artistic vision last few days...

:-)

Fire_Wolf
2005-07-04, 06:52 AM
Do you know what this means? The Giant! And Elan! One and the same! :o This explains why you never see them both in the same place!

Apart from that, this strip is a good example of how versitile Rich's style really is. Despite being (relatively) simple, Rich's still managed to put in enough detail to make the characters more impressive than they looked back in the very first strip.

So, today's upgrades as I see them:

Roy's boots (ovbiously)
Roy's sword hilt is more square
Elan's cloak clasp, plus a more "billowing" look to the cloak itself (obivously)
Vaarsuvius' runes on hir cloak
Vaarsuvius' belt is now brown instead of black
(I dunno if it's a mistake, but the bit of V's cloak around hir neck is the same shade of red as hir robes, and not the usual darker red of hir robe. "Hir", by the way, is my way of avoiding "his/her")
Durkon's belt buckle
Durkon's amulet now has a small upgrade

Am I missing anything?

PokeTheBard
2005-07-04, 07:01 AM
Roy's sword is now a different shade. He is hereby known as Roy Turquoisehilt

RebelRogue
2005-07-04, 07:42 AM
Elan's sprained wrist is genious :D

Unfortunately (or maybe not... it's a vacation after all) I'm going away for the week which means I'll miss the next few strips. The upside is, that I'll hopefully get to read two or even three OoTS strips (including the fabled #200) consecutively once I get home 8)

boolean
2005-07-04, 07:43 AM
Roy's sword is now a different shade. He is hereby known as Roy Turquoisehilt

That may be the magic sword from #118. (Also seen sticking out of Xykon's treasure pile in #116.)

yrro
2005-07-04, 07:50 AM
No, they mentioned earlier that they'd sold that sword.

Also, does anyone else think that Elan is playing the kazoo backwards?

Wukei
2005-07-04, 07:51 AM
It's Elan. Which means...he probably is.

Sundog
2005-07-04, 07:57 AM
Haley was carrying...carts...in her bags of holding..?

Wukei
2005-07-04, 07:59 AM
Hey...you never know when a good cart might come in handy.

And look: it did. ;)

Minttu
2005-07-04, 08:45 AM
I so totally burst out laughing when Elan began to play his kazoo :D Honestly, it made my day.

Bzz, bzz, teehee.

GreyRat
2005-07-04, 09:00 AM
Ya know, I actually applaud Elan for trying to make sure he can still support his team-mates even under adverse conditions. I game with people who I can only wish would take that much initiative.
Then again, if the comic included audio clips of the bard's new musical style, I might withhold my applause... ;D

They need to be careful on the way back, of course. The verbal component for 'Summon Random Encounter' is: "Wow, this treasure is sooo heavy I barely have the strength to fight!"

Nerd-o-rama
2005-07-04, 09:06 AM
**KABOOM!**

Ah, that would be the fourth wall. Anyway, overall hilarious comic.

"I've had nightmares that start this way."

I wonder if Elan was clever and took the Versatile Perfomer feat...although since that gives bonus skills based on Int, I think he'd technically lose skill ranks that way.

Blaznak
2005-07-04, 09:14 AM
This was DEFINATELY worth a one week wait. How does Rich keep this so fresh all the time? Maybe he keeps his brain in an air-tight container between strips...

Kanibeos
2005-07-04, 10:04 AM
Hey...you never know when a good cart might come in handy.

And look: it did. ;)

On the other hand they might have left the carts behind and filled the bags of holding with loot ;-)

And on a completely different issue; now we know which OOTS-character Rich identifies with the most ;-)

Poeir
2005-07-04, 10:32 AM
Quick, non-gender-related question about V: Is he wearing a cloak or a cape? Belkar and Elan have both stated that they're wearing a cloak (and Belkar's been seen with the hood up), but not so with V. And are those runes or sloppy sewing?

Nikolai_II
2005-07-04, 10:52 AM
On the other hand they might have left the carts behind and filled the bags of holding with loot ;-)

Most likely that has _also_ happened ;)

-

My belief is that the carts were disassembled in the bags though :)

Grey Watcher
2005-07-04, 10:52 AM
Quick, non-gender-related question about V: Is he wearing a cloak or a cape? Belkar and Elan have both stated that they're wearing a cloak (and Belkar's been seen with the hood up), but not so with V. And are those runes or sloppy sewing?

I assumed they were runes. And whoever did the catalogue of the updates failed to notice V also has runes at the bottom of his/her cloak/cape.

Well, so much for feeling special that the more detailed artwork was only available on the cover of the book. :sigh:

Wolfie
2005-07-04, 10:55 AM
woah!
GREAT comic! :D

Wally
2005-07-04, 11:25 AM
Huzzah!

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-04, 11:34 AM
Amazing, it was so worth the wait... I also love the fact that generations to come will read the comic, and not understand what the sprained wrist joke means, it's like an inside joke :)

Eriol
2005-07-04, 11:38 AM
Nice. I especially like "Goddamnit, that took WEEKS!" =)

And nice art upgrade. But one thing that was always there that did NOT change was the deal with Roy's feet. I mean that one is ALWAYS larger than the other. And no, it's NOT that one foot is larger than the other, as it swaps off. What's up with that?

Nasrudith
2005-07-04, 11:39 AM
Maybe there will be a note at the bottom of the page in ths OOTS sbook saying about the giants wrist being sprained.

Jibar
2005-07-04, 11:43 AM
could be, and the feet upgrade is because he now has new boots, his feet being larger than the other just makes it look cool,

Lawful_Stupid
2005-07-04, 11:48 AM
Hehe, this comic was well worth the week of no new comics. Why didn't Haley and Belkar get upgraded? Everyone else did.

Great to have Rich back!

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2005-07-04, 11:52 AM
Since this is the proper place for ridiculous nitpicking, I will point out that Elan has at most 1 rank in Perform (kazoo). His puffed-out cheeks indicate that he's blowing through it, whereas anybody who's actually played one...anybody?...hello?...anyway, you actually hum through a kazoo. A kazoo is basically a hollow tube with a vibrating membrane, and blowing through one doesn't make any sound at all.

Taelas
2005-07-04, 12:11 PM

And nice art upgrade. But one thing that was always there that did NOT change was the deal with Roy's feet. I mean that one is ALWAYS larger than the other. And no, it's NOT that one foot is larger than the other, as it swaps off. What's up with that?Perspective.

The larger foot is closer than the smaller. It's how the Giant shows which way they are turned.

Note that this "boot-change" occurs with everyone who ears boots.

SimonMoon5
2005-07-04, 12:17 PM
I just figured everyone had mismatched boots. That is, everyone who isn't barefoot.

Taelas
2005-07-04, 12:22 PM
Another art-upgrade: Elan's hair.

Nikolai_II
2005-07-04, 12:24 PM
Note that this "boot-change" occurs with everyone who ears boots.

The "boot-change" I would blame upon mirroring rather than drawing a second Roy (or whoever) facing in the other direction ;)

Since this is the proper place for ridiculous nitpicking, I will point out that Elan has at most 1 rank in Perform (kazoo). His puffed-out cheeks indicate that he's blowing through it, whereas anybody who's actually played one...anybody?...hello?...anyway, you actually hum through a kazoo. A kazoo is basically a hollow tube with a vibrating membrane, and blowing through one doesn't make any sound at all.

Wha.. he said that he had "decided to branch out", implying that the decision was taken when he sprained his wrist, and since they haven't gained a level he has gotten no skill points to place and should thus have exactly 0 ranks in kazoo.. what you are 'hearing' is his 18 Cha, else he wouldn't even be able to puff ;)

Taelas
2005-07-04, 12:28 PM
Of course it's mirroring.

I don't see how that affects my point, though.

Grimmwulf
2005-07-04, 12:35 PM
Another art upgrade: Roy's shirt appears to be of a slightly lighter shade of blue now.

Taelas
2005-07-04, 12:39 PM
Actually, I think both the shirt and Roy's skin is a lighter shade.

Estrogen
2005-07-04, 12:41 PM
Love the new comic, Rich! Glad you're feeling better!

And I soo much love the art upgrade! ;)

(edit)

Another art upgrade: Roy's shirt appears to be of a slightly lighter shade of blue now.

Maybe it's just worn? Clothes loose colour with age you know :P ;D

benkir
2005-07-04, 02:52 PM

so I wonder what Xykon and his mob have been up to... or has this run alongside the period of Xykon moving into his new abode etc?

Estrogen
2005-07-04, 03:03 PM
It seemed to me like they were getting the gold out of the cave while mr evilgasm and his goonies were amassing a new following.

that's me though, I dunno

Winged One
2005-07-04, 03:06 PM
What sort of upgrades do you think Xykon, his minions, and the Linear Guild got?

Nikolai_II
2005-07-04, 03:11 PM
so I wonder what Xykon and his mob have been up to... or has this run alongside the period of Xykon moving into his new abode etc?

It took weeks as in "we made a beeline to see what Xykon had been up to", which took several strips = weeks, + the extra week because Elan Rich sprained his wrist.

thewaka
2005-07-04, 03:22 PM
Woohoo! I love the new strip and was very surprised to see one today. It is a *wonderful* surprise.

Haley's upgrades--lighter clothes, brighter hair, more obvious red hair tie

Belkar--poor thing doesn't appear to have gotten any. :(

I disagree on the boot size/perspective thing. Look at panels 3 and 4. Haley's right boot is larger, but she is turned to the right. Also, the characters are drawn facing sideways quite often, including this strip (and sometimes the boot size matches the turned direction, just not consistently enough for me to believe that is the reason behind it).

Diana

Qwernt
2005-07-04, 04:00 PM
I wonder how long I need to practice to get to skill level 1 in Kazoo...

GREAT COMIC!

graganis
2005-07-04, 04:07 PM
May I echo everyone else in welcoming Rich back to the drawing board, but (echoing El Jaspero) I'd like to continue with some empty nit-picking:

Not only is Elan blowing through the kazoo, he also appears to have it the wrong way round (I once had to play the kazoo for an orchestral performance of John William's The Phantom Menace so I hope I'm right in saying this). As I understand it the fat end should be in your mouth rather than the thin end.

Taelas
2005-07-04, 04:14 PM
I disagree on the boot size/perspective thing. Look at panels 3 and 4. Haley's right boot is larger, but she is turned to the right. Also, the characters are drawn facing sideways quite often, including this strip (and sometimes the boot size matches the turned direction, just not consistently enough for me to believe that is the reason behind it).
You are certainly welcome to disagree--only the Giant can say who's right. ;)

I am still rather certain in that observation, though.

And actually, if you look at panel three, Haley's VR boot is larger, and she's turned to the VL. I assume you meant four and five. :)

whmice
2005-07-04, 05:12 PM
;D ;D ;D THE GIANTS BACK!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;Dyay!!! ;D ;D ;D
good comic! although i hardly rememberd what happened before the spraint wrist theater and then before we saw only the evil side plans. ;D

Eriol
2005-07-04, 05:58 PM
Not only is Elan blowing through the kazoo, he also appears to have it the wrong way round (I once had to play the kazoo for an orchestral performance of John William's The Phantom Menace so I hope I'm right in saying this). As I understand it the fat end should be in your mouth rather than the thin end.
I think you're right. I noticed that too, but it didn't really "register". So he's so inept that he can't even play a kazoo correctly.

Another point of subtle humour perhaps? ;)

Nasrudith
2005-07-04, 07:48 PM
Everythign is lighter actually. Wonder why V looks so mad? Maybe he was upset about being blamed by Elan?

Adghar
2005-07-04, 07:54 PM
I'm glad to see that Belkar is still on his dachsund ^^

RBPRX1204
2005-07-04, 08:00 PM
Hey, sorry, been gone for a while. Glad you are feeling better, Rich. Great comic today. Love the kazoo.

Melange
2005-07-04, 09:29 PM
THE GIANTS BACK!!!!!

And he's bigger than ever.... by 3 inches...

The Demented One
2005-07-04, 11:04 PM
Glad the old wrist is better...the comic is worth the wait.

Jenmoa
2005-07-04, 11:48 PM
Welcome back!

EXCELLENT comic. Truly worth the wait. ;D

SacredStorm
2005-07-05, 12:07 AM
Welcome back Giant!
I, myself, like the change in style Roy's sword is shown...I do not really know what it is, but I think it looks hotter! ;)
-Sam

Mad_Max
2005-07-05, 12:13 AM
Glad your back Giant. You to Uthmah :P.

sktarq
2005-07-05, 12:55 AM
now is it just my computer giving me funny colours or is Roy Greenhilt's sword's hilt now a soft teal?

As for new boots....the new boots have anckle guards on them-the cloth slips that go over boots to prevent you getting burrs, stones and ticks inside represented by the little lines on his boots...before they were solid brown.

Adghar
2005-07-05, 01:01 AM
No, the hilt color has indeed changed:

Everythign is lighter actually. Wonder why V looks so mad? Maybe he was upset about being blamed by Elan?

Seraph
2005-07-05, 01:13 AM
perhaps roy picked up a sword in the dragon's treasure vault.

Adghar
2005-07-05, 01:15 AM
Is that a theory as to why the hilt is "teal"? Er, RIGHT! Yeah, he found a new broken sword that just happens to perfectly match his old sword so he threw away his old sword. But it has a teal hilt. Just like those new boots! Okay I see now.

What? No I didn't mean to be sarcastic.

Seraph
2005-07-05, 01:31 AM
Is that a theory as to why the hilt is "teal"? Er, RIGHT! Yeah, he found a new broken sword that just happens to perfectly match his old sword so he threw away his old sword. But it has a teal hilt. Just like those new boots! Okay I see now.

or perhaps it's just not a greatsword.

also, as for the carts, it is, in fact, possible to fill a bag of holding. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040401)

Baatezu
2005-07-05, 03:25 AM
great to have you back giant!

you can't imagine the sheer joy and the size of my smile when i saw it was strip 198 and not 201
(well, maybe you can...)
"it took weeks" - gotta love it

Grimmwulf
2005-07-05, 03:47 AM
Perhaps the Stick universe is like "Black & White" - you get a bit brighter by doing good deeds (such as slaying an evil dragon) ;)

ekedolphin
2005-07-05, 03:52 AM
OOTS #198:

Welcome back, Rich! Glad to see you're (apparently) doing better. And nice touch, incorporating your real-life injury into the strip with Elan having the exact same problem. Unless you and Elan are the same person, which would explain why no one's ever seen both of you in the same place at the same time.

As always whenever we have The Order together, Roy gets the best lines. Elan and Roy are Abbott and Costello, I think, or George and Gracie or something. Definitely an homage to the classic "odd couple" of comedy.

Elan: "You know, I've been thinking..."
Roy: "I've had nightmares that start this way."

Roy: "Great. He spends points on Perform (Kazoo), and now I have to make a Knowledge (Limits Of My Own Sanity) skill check."

Bogardan_Mage
2005-07-05, 05:07 AM

Who says the new one's broken? It might be an art upgrade on the sword, or it might be a new sword (and since the green hilt is rather important, changing it for the sake of an art upgrade doesn't make alot of sense.)

Nikolai_II
2005-07-05, 05:35 AM
Who says the new one's broken? It might be an art upgrade on the sword, or it might be a new sword (and since the green hilt is rather important, changing it for the sake of an art upgrade doesn't make alot of sense.)

The hilt is still green, and there is still no pointy edge sticking out by his hips, making me think that it is the same sword.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-07-05, 07:56 AM
Guys, it was an art upgrade. Its just that Elan blew it by noticing the changes.

I really liked how Elan sprained his wrist like the Giant did. Perhaps the Giant secretly wants to be Elan?

The_Meal
2005-07-05, 08:54 AM
Great to have you back, Rich!

I've come to the conclusion that you could draw the next 200 episodes of just Belkar riding the weinerdog and I'd laugh at each one of them!

Thank Banjo for the short week this week...

~Neal

Brother_Hood
2005-07-05, 09:40 AM
Welcome Back, Rich!

for the record, I blew my "Limits of Ones own Sanity" check years ago. Not that I miss my mind...

sniffles
2005-07-05, 11:14 AM
Ahhhh.... (contented sigh)

If I have to be at work today, at least there's a new issue of OotS to keep me smiling. Glad you're doing better, Rich! :)

Aeek
2005-07-05, 11:52 AM
I just figured everyone had mismatched boots. That is, everyone who isn't barefoot.

I was fooled by the toes on Belkar's boots into thinking he was barefoot. But he's not drawn in the barefoot style.

So, who's toes are they? (He was wearing them way back in #1.)

Adghar
2005-07-05, 12:17 PM
Actually, Belkar is about the only one barefoot. Any normal "stick" feet are shoe-covered feet. Only Haley's and Roy's boots are large enough to notice. Belkar also is a sturdy halfling, therefore the feet are all thick and hairy and stuff.

This was a semi-official answer since the issue of stick feet have been covered before by the Giant in a previous thread, so :P

Bjorm
2005-07-05, 12:50 PM
Yay!! Great comic. I think I had a rel laughgasm ;D
Rich have clearly been saving up good ideas during his timeout :)

GypsyThorn
2005-07-05, 01:56 PM
So, two big bags, heavy enough to have to be pulled by two horses PLUS all the stuff that went into Haley's BOH (once the cart was out)

Anyone care to guess what's the total value in cash and merchandise our goups has won here today?

(I'm guessing about 100K)

GreyRat
2005-07-05, 02:46 PM
Judging from past experience, while in the wilderness the value of treasure is less than the that of your food rations- and your chances of getting your lucre to market are inversely proportional to its value (at least in the games I've played!) :-/
Anyway, don't count the OotS's chickens until the Giant lets them hatch.

Hee, hee. I can't wait until they meet Zykon again, and poor Roy realizes his Tantrum of Righteousness didn't get the job done. Wonder how much gloating Xykon will do. And if he'll get all peeved because Roy's been dragging his crown around on a string.

Qwernt
2005-07-05, 04:36 PM
So, which annoys Roy more, Elan's Kazoo, or Elan speaking?

TheOneTrueProphet
2005-07-05, 05:06 PM
Good to see ya back, Rich! Anyways, about the Knowledge(Limits of My own Sanity) check, about a few years ago I thought to try something like that. I subjected myself to as many extremly annoying things I could find in an effort to make myself go insane. I didn't work though. (At least I think so ???)

Hamburger
2005-07-05, 06:03 PM
Well, if I can reply to a topic from yesterday, I think the boots, like the eyes, are supposed to be larger or smaller to show perspective, occasional oddities notwithstanding. Otherwise, with perfectly round heads and sticks for legs, it would be really hard to tell with way people are facing/standing.

For example, in panel #2 (of #198 ), it's easier to tell that Roy has turned just his head and not his whole body, until he does turn in panel #3. (Granted, you can also tell by the armor, crown, and sword hilt.)

It would be interesting to see if there's a comic where his boots don't line up with his sword hilt.

Granted, Haley's boots in panels #4 and #5 seem backward, like she's standing sort of twisted, and Roy's eyes are backward pretty consistently... but I'm pretty sure the sizes supposed to indicate perspective, not mismatchedness.

Nameless
2005-07-05, 11:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this comic doesn't seem to flow right from the previous few? There could have so easily been a few comics while they were hauling loot, or even a whole sidequest involving the dragon mentioned in #188. The jump of a few weeks seems a bit unnatural as well. The blue guy was not very far behind them before, so it would make sense he would have caught up by now...

And with the amount of gold and loot they have, HOW are they going to cash it in at the town? It looks to me like they have more gold than the whole town is worth!

just my 2c.

KreenWarrior
2005-07-06, 04:45 AM
The skip of a few weeks didn't really happen in the OotS universe so much as it was a reference to the fact that the Giant sprained his wrist. So I doubt we'll see any effect. On the other hand, maybe blue boy will show up next strip.

Aeek
2005-07-06, 05:55 AM
So, which annoys Roy more, Elan's Kazoo, or Elan speaking?

Roy should appreciate Elan's bardic song WITHOUT Elan being able to speak.
Remember Bluff, Bluff, Bluff the stupid Ogre (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=4)

Nikolai_II
2005-07-06, 06:16 AM
Krackoom!

I think I see where #200 might be headed :o

silveraxe
2005-07-06, 06:23 AM
Oh, the anticipation! :o

Sc00by
2005-07-06, 06:27 AM
oh em eff gee...

The manure is about to interface with the air conditioning...

And I can't wait! ;D

Eloco
2005-07-06, 06:32 AM
On the other hand, maybe blue boy will show up next strip.

You never know.. ;D

Sylian
2005-07-06, 06:47 AM
Hopefully we will se who Blue Guy is in the next strip.
Strip 200. Extra long strip.

I hope it will be posted friday.

GreyRat
2005-07-06, 07:20 AM
Oh, my. Oh yessss!

This one gets the fist-pump of anticipation!

(And apart from the potential drama, they need to stop before Belkar's 'mount' becomes a floating pool noodle. ;D Too bad he got stuck with the family model instead of the sport one (greyhound). Maybe he could trade in for a labrador, get some off-road action going.)

Anyway. Blue guy of dooooom. Bring it.

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-06, 07:33 AM
Nice backlighting with the lightning.

sisha
2005-07-06, 07:40 AM
I'm crying.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rich, you're a genious. Really.

Nighthawk4
2005-07-06, 07:42 AM
'Perhaps the Blue Guy will catch up with them soon' - very nice precognition there. :D

Rich - no offence, but please, please take it easy - rest your hand before Friday. Since the last time we saw the Blue Guy, he was slicing and dicing the evil sorceress and her father, I really don't want to have to wait beyond Friday for the next installment.

A really great strip - not so much for what actually happened, but for the dramatic cliffhanger.

On the other hand, Elan was perfectly correct - how often can anyone say that? ;)

Rambling_Scribe
2005-07-06, 07:44 AM
I'm not normally one to chime in with a 'great comic Rich', but today I have to.

I've always been impressed with what you do with the limitations set by your chosen art style, but today's blew me away. The lighting effects of the storm were beautiful.

Q
2005-07-06, 07:50 AM
All I can say about #199.

Niiiiiiice.

;D

Beamup
2005-07-06, 07:54 AM
All I have to say about #199 is this...

CURSE YOU, GIANT!!! Making us wait till Friday after a cliffhanger like that.

OK, I had a bit more to say, too. Does Roy in this strip remind anyone else of #36?

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-07-06, 08:10 AM
Bad Elan! Your supposed to stay in character and not metagame!!

Great comic though Rich!

Nikolai_II
2005-07-06, 08:12 AM

Hmm.. maybe he will call in sick for this friday, making you wait for monday instead? ;)

The Glyphstone
2005-07-06, 08:14 AM
Bad Elan! Your supposed to stay in character and not metagame!!

Great comic though Rich!

Elan's perfectly IC. Remember, he's a bard. He's probably got max ranks in Knowledge(Plot) or Knowledge(Literary Drama). Even with his Int penalty, it'd be a pretty high modifier.

The_Sleeping_Man
2005-07-06, 08:18 AM
Nice cliffhanger.

Zalathar
2005-07-06, 08:33 AM
Great comic :)

Sylian
2005-07-06, 08:35 AM

OK, I had a bit more to say, too. Does Roy in this strip remind anyone else of #36?
If he had post it on friday, you would have to wait untill monday for the next strip, so consider yourself lucky.

Hope, hope, hope, hope, hope that the Giant post the next strip on friday!

::)

cerebus151
2005-07-06, 08:58 AM
That was sooooooo sweet!

#199 made me so happy that I started clapping in my seat. My 13 month old daughter looked at me as if I had lost my mind.

Sweet.

Lawful_Stupid
2005-07-06, 09:08 AM
Great cliffhanger comic! Finally, OotS vs. Blue Boy! There's just one thing that's a little odd. Why didn't the OotS see the bodies of Sam and her dad while they were leaving the forest? And we saw that Blue Boy was in the forest previously, so why did they run into him outside of it?

mastroyo
2005-07-06, 09:20 AM
NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE...

One Comic that made my top 10, top 5 even..

Aeek
2005-07-06, 09:40 AM
I thought predictions were supposed to cause evasive replotting?

If the blue guy is coming towards them the bandit bodies are behind him.

Nice.

MostlyHarmless
2005-07-06, 10:07 AM
AWESOME! I had the ominous "DUM, DUM, DUMMMM" music playing in my head.

Brother_Hood
2005-07-06, 10:37 AM
I almost think Roy would trust Elan more if he didn't actually know him. :D

Love it!

wolf_mage
2005-07-06, 11:15 AM
Hee hee, that was excellent, I've been grinning ear to ear for five minutes now... :D

*can't wait for Friday*

Oh, and I agree about how impressive the lightning effect was.

Starla
2005-07-06, 11:55 AM
Great cliffhanger comic! Finally, OotS vs. Blue Boy! There's just one thing that's a little odd. Why didn't the OotS see the bodies of Sam and her dad while they were leaving the forest? And we saw that Blue Boy was in the forest previously, so why did they run into him outside of it?

The forest was big. And why would they want to pass by Samantha and her dad? Oots has a track record of not checking up on plot details like the Linear guild in prison or Xykon's plot see #121.

I think they would rather not hand all the gold to Haley's keeping (the bags of holding belong to her and are worth quite abit alone)

I remember when I saved a npc's life. I told him to climb into my bag of holding. My husband (the DM) had me role--for charisma I think--to see if the npc could trust me with out knowing me. Of course my charisma was 18 so it was handy.

Pharazon
2005-07-06, 11:59 AM
Ah, man... going on vacation saturday, won't have internet for 2 weeks... pleeease don't skip Friday!

Nanaki
2005-07-06, 12:29 PM
Haley was in the other cart, right? Because i can't see her in the strip... ???

wolf_mage
2005-07-06, 12:56 PM
Haley was in the other cart, right? Because i can't see her in the strip... ???
I imagine that she and V are in the other cart, yeah.

tazzlair
2005-07-06, 01:37 PM
Does Roy in this strip remind anyone else of #36?

So true, this is classic Roy mentallity here. I like to call it "big brain syndrome" If he didn't think of it, then it must not be possible"

Great strip, I can't wait till Friday!!

whmice
2005-07-06, 02:04 PM
that wos nice! lol
actualy i was hoping that nothing would actualy happen or that somthing terribly minor would happen, like the horses color whould change.. :D

silvadel
2005-07-06, 02:08 PM
Fate does not like to be mocked....

Nikolai_II
2005-07-06, 02:52 PM
Ah, man... going on vacation saturday, won't have internet for 2 weeks... pleeease don't skip Friday!

HEY!

Are you me?

(Although I won't loose internet until monday, but my vacation begins saturday and I'll be two eeks w/o internet)

dascribe
2005-07-06, 03:15 PM
Ah, Metanarrative. It feels so good in my belly and tends to still create the dramatic effect it was created for. I cannot wait for This Friday's Strip. It's gonna be good.

Silmarwen
2005-07-06, 03:32 PM
"Nothing dramatic - KRAKAKOOM - is about to happen"

;D :D :D :D :D

Anyway, I've noticed that Giant has started creating really complex panels since the art-upgrade. He's getting better and better at this don't you think? ;)

Kasur
2005-07-06, 03:41 PM
Totally.

Jojojo, I'd love this stuff. But I don't think that we'll know the real identity of the blue guy untill Monday. ;)

Darasen
2005-07-06, 03:42 PM
Great cliffhanger for #200.
Of course Roy still does not have a sword.

Sylvius
2005-07-06, 04:40 PM
I had the ominous "DUM, DUM, DUMMMM" music playing in my head.

I was her first husband!

Lilly
2005-07-06, 04:41 PM
I have picked the wrong time to have a vacation. This is a great cliffhanger, it's going to lead to something spectacular, and I'm not going to get resolution until Monday. Huzzah.

But the lightning effects are awsome.

whmice
2005-07-06, 04:50 PM
HEY!

Are you me?

(Although I won't loose internet until monday, but my vacation begins saturday and I'll be two eeks w/o internet)
vacation time! mine starts the followig week and lasts 5 days

Kaerou
2005-07-06, 06:02 PM
Awesomne lighting effects!

hehe... Thats some damn good hiding skill.. camoflage...

I think he must be a really high level ranger...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-06, 06:19 PM
Wow :o Awesome!!! I love the comic, so suspenseful! I can't wait until Friday. WHAT is going to happen!?

sktarq
2005-07-06, 06:34 PM
you people doo realize that Elan will be playing the kazoo to aid his fellow OotS members in the comming conflict (buzz buzz buzz)

jamwno
2005-07-06, 06:41 PM
I love how Belkar puts on his halfling-stealth cloak in the time it takes for a bolt of lightning to hit. Quick-Don, anyone? ;)

Nameless
2005-07-06, 09:04 PM
Heh, that was cool. Nice lighting effects indeed. I was kind of hoping for something to happen between Elan and Haley though...

Pvednes
2005-07-06, 09:17 PM
Heh, Roy needs to start listening on matters of theatrics.

Lilly
2005-07-06, 09:32 PM
Heh, that was cool. Nice lighting effects indeed. I was kind of hoping for something to happen between Elan and Haley though...

SHHHH! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1109876475 ;start=315#315) Try over there.

Sneak
2005-07-06, 09:41 PM
I love how Belkar puts on his halfling-stealth cloak in the time it takes for a bolt of lightning to hit. Quick-Don, anyone? ;)

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. And yes, that was an awesome comic, especially the appearance of MCBG.

KRAKAKOW!

Winged One
2005-07-06, 10:29 PM
The following must be said here before friday, and the duty falls to me: Dun, Dun, Duunnn!

Eriol
2005-07-06, 11:49 PM
I dunno. There easily could have been a few seconds between the "lightning" frame, and the "pouring rain" frame that was next. So I don't see anything special about the speed. Just a nice touch that he remembered to put his hood up.

But on that note, why didn't Elan? Elan CLEARLY says in 198 that he got a new clasp for his cloak, and therefore it goes to figure that he'd have a hood too, so why wouldn't he put it up? Bandaged arm is one reason, but even with that he'd probably WANT to shield himself from the rain I'd think.

Still, anxiously awaiting 200...

And btw, does anybody else notice this is one of the few times that Elan is (or seems like he's going to be) 100% right? I wonder which other times that's true too...

Nightmarenny
2005-07-07, 12:36 AM
Anything involing over donesuspense stuff. Such as why noone told Elan and Nale that they were brothers.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-07-07, 01:23 AM
hehe... Thats some damn good hiding skill.. camoflage...

I think he must be a really high level ranger...
Take it rom a man who's played way to much Metal Gear Solid 3: rain makes hiding a whole lot easier.

Hmm...I wonder if Roy's dad is somehow causing the storm...

*smacks self for obscurity*

mastroyo
2005-07-07, 01:53 AM
Well, Roy is: Surprised by the Blue Guy, flat footed, without a weapon AND against a guy that killed a guy that had already defeated Roy, in a single round....

I believe we are getting dangerously close to a 'resurection-based' series of comics.

;D

Nightmarenny
2005-07-07, 02:08 AM
To be fair that guy didn't realy get Roy. A twist of fate and 20 ton Rhino did ;D

Ikkitosen
2005-07-07, 05:37 AM
Friday's comic is going to be GREAT.

Sir_Banjo
2005-07-07, 05:58 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else have a flashback to the time Roy came out of the bushes and clubed that bandit?

Kasur
2005-07-07, 11:07 AM
you people doo realize that Elan will be playing the kazoo to aid his fellow OotS members in the comming conflict (buzz buzz buzz)

OMG!!! But, I'm sure that he will save all the party at the end.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-07, 12:32 PM
Of course he will, with his +5 Kazoo of Flaming Burst!
Can't wait until Friday :o

whmice
2005-07-07, 05:24 PM
<polymorph troll>
ARG me must see cartoon 200, me take hair out of head!
me must find Rich! swirrly thingie!
-blip-

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-07, 08:01 PM
A particularly malicious though has just occured to me... Friday's comic will not be about the Blue Guy, it'll be about Xykon, Rich will leave us hanging some more... oh noes!

Grey Watcher
2005-07-07, 08:09 PM
A particularly malicious though has just occured to me... Friday's comic will not be about the Blue Guy, it'll be about Xykon, Rich will leave us hanging some more... oh noes!

I doubt it. It reads like he switched back to the Order so that he could SHOW this confrontation in the first place. We already switched over to Xykon. and hadn't seen the Order for about 10 strips, all the while knowing Mr./Ms. Cloak was quite near to the Order. I doubt he'd go all Brian Jaques/Robert Jordan on us now.

mastroyo
2005-07-07, 09:28 PM
What if Rich doesn't post the new comic, and explains that 'absolutely nothing dramatic ... is gonna happen"?

I AM TURNING TO SEE BEHIND ME, FOR SURE!

:P

PS: I hope Haley scored a 20 on the Spot check, after all, she's nowhere to be seen. Maybe she's sneaking behing the Blue Guy...!!!

(this comment/preditcion IS too late for the Giant to be influenced with, so don't yell! ::))

RandomNPC
2005-07-07, 10:19 PM
banjo is going to come in, throw around some divine intervention, and make everything better in two panels, the rest of the "extended" 200th comic will be oots and bluecloak having a picnic and playing mini-golf

Nightmarenny
2005-07-07, 10:29 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAY MINIGOLF ;D

ekedolphin
2005-07-07, 10:55 PM
OOTS #199:

Ooooooh! Da Blue Guy is in da house, and he's TAKING OVER! (Bonus points to you if you know that reference.)

Great reveal there, with the audience (but not the Order) seeing Blue Guy's silhouette, but then he disappears. You don't think the special 200th comic is gonna involve everyone being killed, and that's the end of the series, do you? Say it ain't so.

But as badly as he beat Samantha and her father (granted, they were badly injured), and shrugged off her magic and all that, and given the fact that the entire Order minus Durkon got their butts handed to them by her...

This is setting up to be one epic confrontation indeed.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-07, 10:59 PM
Did anyone not notice the blue guy the first time? I went to the last box didn't get the joke and then weht back :-[

Darkspear
2005-07-07, 11:26 PM
Only a half hour until 12:00 on the East Coast. I do hope it is updated at midnight, but I doubt it will be.

Here's to hope! :)

RandomNPC
2005-07-08, 12:06 AM
eke, what do you mean first time? is he in an earlier picture, or do you mean you wanted roy to finish his sentance and you missed the idea of the second to last pannel due to looking for the rest of the sentance?

Nightmarenny
2005-07-08, 12:07 AM
doce

SacredStorm
2005-07-08, 12:13 AM
Oh my gee wiz...It's 12:21!!! Man anyone else feeling giddy? lol Sigh, I hope I don't sleep in! ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-07-08, 12:16 AM
Every minute all hurty. Can't.......wait.....arg!!!!

Winged One
2005-07-08, 12:36 AM
And so, awaiting the expected gift, the denizens of the internet began tp chant "Must have OOTS, Must have OOTS..."

mastroyo
2005-07-08, 01:53 AM
2am here. Done waiting. I hope I have a better breakfast with OoTS than with tomorrow's paper, considering London. :-/

It's gonna be such a breakfast.

;D

Aeek
2005-07-08, 02:29 AM
4:37pm EST here, and I understand TheGiant considers it late if its not up by 5pm EST.

Course, it could be a different EST.

sisha
2005-07-08, 04:02 AM
10 o'clock in the morning (Italy), office job coming up, but still waiting for the

Sundog
2005-07-08, 04:23 AM
YOU WIMPS! It's 4:20 PM here and I haven't even started to whine yet! Much...

Sc00by
2005-07-08, 06:28 AM
refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh the comics page constantly...

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-08, 06:53 AM
1900 hours here. :P

Nikolai_II
2005-07-08, 07:03 AM
refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh the comics page constantly...

Aha! So it is your fault the comic isn't updating. Your DoS attack put undue strains on the server that in turn prevents the Giant from successfully uploading his extra-large epic successfully. >:(

( ;))

The Giant
2005-07-08, 08:33 AM
4:37pm EST here, and I understand TheGiant considers it late if its not up by 5pm EST.

Course, it could be a different EST.

Probably is. According to my clock, you posted that at 2:29 AM. And for the record, it's late at 9:00 AM, not 5:00 PM.

Anyway, the bad news is, strip #200 is NOT double- or triple-length, as suggested. The good news is, that's because it's QUADRUPLE length.

I apologize in advance for slow load times.

Zalathar
2005-07-08, 08:34 AM
Lord Almighty that was fantastic... I think I had a 200gasm.

Lawful_Stupid
2005-07-08, 08:41 AM
Holy... that is one BIG comic!!! Never did expect them to see Bluey's face. But it was nice to see Haley participate in melee combat for once. Now I'm gonna go crazy waiting until Monday for the next one!

Sundog
2005-07-08, 08:53 AM
Well, whatever I was expecting, it was NOT a half-monk half-paladin. With two-weapon fighting.

Boy, is she going to be surprised when her smite evil doesn't do the extra damage! I just hope Roy is still alive afterwards...

Vhesper
2005-07-08, 08:54 AM
So....

Monk/Paladin/Samurai anyone? :-X

Sundog
2005-07-08, 08:58 AM
No actual need for the Samurai part, from what I can see.

Paladin 5 minimum, Monk 1 minimum - for argument's sake, cal it 5 for no xp penalty. Human. More than enough feats for two-weapon fighting.

Silmarwen
2005-07-08, 08:58 AM
YIPPIE YIPPIE YIAAA!!!

Holy mother of God!!! 4 comics!!!! ;D

Don't worry everyone. Smite Evil won't do much harm on Roy as he is just NOT evil.
Btw what is the Saphire Guard?

silveraxe
2005-07-08, 09:19 AM
She's wearing armor, so no monk.

However, rangers in 3.5 get evasion, and we've seen her track, and Stunning [Insert Unarmed Attack] is available as a feat to high Wis type.

So, Paladin/Ranger is my guess.

Ikkitosen
2005-07-08, 09:29 AM
I agree - Paladin/Ranger. Divine Grace, Track, TWF, Smite Evil, Stunning Fist (Feat), high Diplomacy, Bonded Mount, Evasion. All present and accounted for!

Runolfr
2005-07-08, 09:50 AM
No actual need for the Samurai part, from what I can see.

Paladin 5 minimum, Monk 1 minimum - for argument's sake, cal it 5 for no xp penalty. Human. More than enough feats for two-weapon fighting.

Roughly equal levels aren't required. For a human, the highest-level class is always the favored class, so a human with only two classes never has an experience penalty.

Runolfr
2005-07-08, 09:52 AM
I agree - Paladin/Ranger. Divine Grace, Track, TWF, Smite Evil, Stunning Fist (Feat), high Diplomacy, Bonded Mount, Evasion. All present and accounted for!

Improved Unarmed Strike is a pre-requisite for Stunning Fist, so your build requires it.

Ohtar_Turinson
2005-07-08, 09:58 AM
I suspect that after Blue Girl's nature being revealed, she had a distraction factor going for her... I liked Roy's "Wow" and later "Hey, baby, listen..."

More pseudo-romance for OotS perhaps? Well... if Roy survived, anyway.

ambra
2005-07-08, 10:04 AM
thank you so much

that was great

jamwno
2005-07-08, 10:23 AM
I'm somewhat doubtful of the Ranger bit, and am leaning to Palladin / Monk (with maybe a bit of Samurai). People seem to be citing Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, evasion and the animal companion as reasons she's a ranger.

1) Track is an easy feat to get. No need for a ranger.
2) Rangers don't get evasion until 9th level. Since we know she has divine grace, that would make her at LEAST a 11th level character. Monks get evasion at 2nd level, which is much more reasonable.
3) The slash and kick move: Full attack, slash at high bonus, kick at low attack. From the SRD: A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet.
4) People have said that she's not a monk because they can't wear armor. Not true, monks just lose flurry, fast movement, and the AC bonus while wearing armor. Now, if she's a ranger, then wearing heavy armor should take away her two-weapon fighting, which she is clearly using.
5) Animal companion -> special mount. 'Nuff said.

So, i propose a Samurai 1 / Monk 2 / Palladin 5 (probably higher, but that's all she needs off the bat.
Non-bonus feats: Track, Improved two-weapon fighting (There were 5 slashes in a full attack, and i'm assuming BAB is >6 but <11).

And I know the Giant bends the rules when it suits him to do so, so maybe she is part ranger after all. I just know i enjoy trying to figure this stuff out :)

Jarawara
2005-07-08, 10:27 AM
OH NO!!!

I know what's happened! What a tragedy! What a sorrow! I know who has....

....hmmm...

...I think I'll wander over to the Sealed Predictions thread.

:)

Starla
2005-07-08, 11:04 AM
I think the quadruple length is not the only reason for slow loading Giant. I think I was competing with 1,000's of other people to get on the website at 7:30am this morning. Before you know it people will be lining up at bookstore for YOUR books instead of Harry Potter books.

So is the reason Haley doesn't do combat because she likes the way she looks? or because ELAN likes the way she looks? I like the smooch before she goes off to battle.

I don't think Roy is dead--even if he was they are near a town with a temple where he could probably be resurrected...I think the evil smiting worked but I won't say more.

Ranger-Man
2005-07-08, 11:10 AM
Well, whatever I was expecting, it was NOT a half-monk half-paladin. With two-weapon fighting.

Boy, is she going to be surprised when her smite evil doesn't do the extra damage! I just hope Roy is still alive afterwards...
I doubt that he's dead just maimed or they'll raise him

sniffles
2005-07-08, 11:14 AM
Agh!!! Damnit!! (sorry - I was channeling Belkar for a second) ;D

How can I make it til Monday!? I can't wait to see what happens when her smite evil doesn't do extra smitey badness to Roy.

Nikolai_II
2005-07-08, 11:15 AM
Holy... that is one BIG comic!!! Never did expect them to see Bluey's face. But it was nice to see Haley participate in melee combat for once. Now I'm gonna go crazy waiting until Monday for the next one!

You go crazy? I'll be gone for two whole weeks.. I'll have to scrounge up some sort of connection somewhere just to see how split Roy is..

erisian
2005-07-08, 11:26 AM
Well, smite evil won't split Roy too badly unless Roy is secretly evil.

WHAT A TERRIFIC BUNDLE OF COMICS!!!!! OH YAY!!!!

Now I am conflicted ... on one hand I don't want Rich to suffer sprained wrists, but on the other hand this feels like Christmas!! I wish we could get this every day!

Just awesome!

Barnas
2005-07-08, 11:34 AM
I must admit, these current strips have me more enthralled than any other sequence has had.

I can't wait until monday.

As proof of how captivated I am, I'm actually now reading the forums! And *gasp* posting with the account I made whenever it was.

Can't wait... can't wait...

Nerd-o-rama
2005-07-08, 11:48 AM
Hah! I knew it was going to be a woman! Well, I figured it would be since you folks kept insisting on referring to Mysterious Blue Cloaked Figure as Mysterious Blue Guy ::)

Anyway, wonderufl stuff. Very dramatic, and it's good to see a DM remembering all the penalties associated with rain.

So...this lady seems to have completely outclassed the Stickers, both in level and tactical advantage. The fact that Durkon is smart enough to surrender and talk things out didn't help them in combat either.

And of course, everything Elan predicted came 100% true. Naturally.

And who is this "Lord Shojo," I wonder...?

Wolfie
2005-07-08, 11:52 AM
gah.
A paladin-monk-whatever??
Smite Evil???
lol ;D

can't wait to see what happens next!

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-07-08, 12:21 PM
WOW! Excellent work. It appears our Blue guy girl is a Paladin/Monk. BTW did anyone notice how they had someone trying to kill someone, someone being a traitor (Durkon), and a first kiss.

Aidan305
2005-07-08, 12:25 PM
As I pointed out in the 'The Blue Guy' thread, there is a class in Dragon324 called the Wild Defender. A Ranger with Smite Evil attacks.

In other news...

Aaaaarrrrrgh! Cliffhanger weekend! What will appen to Roy?!

Winged One
2005-07-08, 12:30 PM
Dun, dun, duuunnnh!

Cliffhangers are fun. The computer is your friend. ;D

Ebon_Drake
2005-07-08, 12:31 PM
Cool comic, worth the wait.

who is this "Lord Shojo," I wonder...?
I..don't know. At first i thought it was perhaps a God she followed, but then more likely I thought it was the guy she was bowing to in #120, which would mean he's not Dorukan as some people had predicted. Also, He wasn't mentioned as one of the people in Dorukan's party in #196.

Eriol
2005-07-08, 12:35 PM
WOW! Excellent work. It appears our Blue guy girl is a Paladin/Monk. BTW did anyone notice how they had someone trying to kill someone, someone being a traitor (Durkon), and a first kiss.
Awesome point. I think the "traitor" thing is pushing it, but still, essentially true.

I think Durkon recognized Good easily. He knew something. Some sign, or other indication that the person was Good, and not Evil. I hope we find out exactly how/why.

Still, now we need to wait for 201!!

Vhesper
2005-07-08, 12:45 PM
The reason I mentioned Samurai being in the mix is because it is the easiest (read Munchkin) way to pick up the two Exotic Weapon Feats (Katana and Wakazashi) required before even taking in to account the two weapon fighting. ;)

Taelas
2005-07-08, 12:47 PM
Something about her made Durkon's Wis score go into overdrive.

wolf_mage
2005-07-08, 12:50 PM
Hehe, that was awesome. And yeah, so much for "I don't think there's any smooching coming up soon!"!

Aeek
2005-07-08, 12:50 PM
WOW! Excellent work. BTW did anyone notice how they had someone trying to kill someone, someone being a traitor (Durkon), and a first kiss.

also WOW. No, didn't notice. Elan is so good at theatrics.

silvadel
2005-07-08, 12:58 PM
Well we certainly saw improved evasion in action there.

5 attacks is pretty... Probably 3 attacks + 2 attacks with the off-hand...

As for her being a paladin/monk I think it is more likely that she is a champion of torm/monk or similar(IE champion of X)

She just doesnt seem GOOD to me... More Lawful Neutral....

----

And Varsuuvius REALLY needs to work on her concentration skill.... Tanglefoot bag shouldnt be so devastating at her level (guess con was her dump stat)...

xolik
2005-07-08, 01:04 PM
Pretty cool strips, but the cliched 'mysterious bad-ass that turns out to be OMG FEMALE!!11!!!' is seriously overdone.

Sophistemon
2005-07-08, 01:15 PM
This is... wow. I am constantly amazed at the amount of storytelling that the Giant can pack into a couple of stick figures, not to mention the amount of detail. I hate having to wait until Monday for the answers to my questions, but it appears that I have no choice. Oh well...

Peregrine
2005-07-08, 01:25 PM
Okay okay okay. Let's stay calm. Roy's not going to die. He's not evil! That 'splortch' is just a bit of exaggeration! ...right? :o

So... Blue Girl? Paladin, monk, ranger...?

Paladin, evidence for: Smite Evil, "grace of my gods" (Divine Grace), intelligent horse (Paladin mount). Against: bathing blades in blood is not exactly a Good approach to justice, though certainly Lawful. Nonetheless I think the skills named make this conclusive.

Monk, evidence for: "stunning kick" (Stunning Fist, using the fact that unarmed strikes, especially a monk's, don't have to be with hands at all), lots of flashy attacks that could be a Flurry. Also Lawful, and with a heavy Eastern flavour (swords appear to be daisho, "Lord Shojo", and Soon from Dorukan's old party -- the guy with the matching cloak and, we see now, matching armour -- had a distinct Fu Manchu look going). Against: the swords are not Flurryable weapons, she's wearing armour. Draw your own conclusions.

Ranger, evidence for: two weapons, tracking, speaking with animals, "jumps" like Haley (Evasion). Against: nothing specific that I can see.

I'm leaning towards Pal/Rgr multiclass myself. And Lightblade, this doesn't make her unduly high level; she's flogging the OotS and we know they're on the order of 10th level.

If I could stop biting my fingers long enough to take this analysis and turn it into speculation, I'd hie myself to the Sealed Predictions thread... as it is... is it Monday yet? :-/

Sylian
2005-07-08, 01:32 PM
Pretty cool strips, but the cliched 'mysterious bad-ass that turns out to be OMG FEMALE!!11!!!' is seriously overdone.
If he was male, it still would be overdone. ::)

Arent
2005-07-08, 01:42 PM
Paladin/Ranger sounds correct.

The "Smite Evil" I think hit Durkon since he was running in at last minute, but he is a cleric so it won't harm him. Roy, as previously said is not evil. Belkar though could have gotten free and tried to save Roy and it could have killed him since there is proof that he is evil in comic # 11 with him resisting "Unholy Blight".

I'm even more amazed at the fact that it's 4x normal length.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-08, 01:50 PM
Okay okay okay. Let's stay calm. Roy's not going to die. He's not evil! That 'splortch' is just a bit of exaggeration! ...right? :o

So... Blue Girl? Paladin, monk, ranger...?

Paladin, evidence for: Smite Evil, "grace of my gods" (Divine Grace), intelligent horse (Paladin mount). Against: bathing blades in blood is not exactly a Good approach to justice, though certainly Lawful. Nonetheless I think the skills named make this conclusive.

Monk, evidence for: "stunning kick" (Stunning Fist, using the fact that unarmed strikes, especially a monk's, don't have to be with hands at all), lots of flashy attacks that could be a Flurry. Also Lawful, and with a heavy Eastern flavour (swords appear to be daisho, "Lord Shojo", and Soon from Dorukan's old party -- the guy with the matching cloak and, we see now, matching armour -- had a distinct Fu Manchu look going). Against: the swords are not Flurryable weapons, she's wearing armour. Draw your own conclusions.

Ranger, evidence for: two weapons, tracking, speaking with animals, "jumps" like Haley (Evasion). Against: nothing specific that I can see.

I'm leaning towards Pal/Rgr multiclass myself. And Lightblade, this doesn't make her unduly high level; she's flogging the OotS and we know they're on the order of 10th level.

If I could stop biting my fingers long enough to take this analysis and turn it into speculation, I'd hie myself to the Sealed Predictions thread... as it is... is it Monday yet? :-/
Samerai, evidence for-Daishdo, Oriental influence, flashy yet simple fighting that reminds me of anime.
Against-He hasn't even finished making fun of the base class yet.

I say Samerai monk with a few levels in Paliden.

jamwno
2005-07-08, 02:06 PM

:-/

If she's wearing a mithril breastplate, then I agree with you; otherwise her ranger Two-Weapon fighting goes away. It's just hard to tell what type of armor stick-figure armor is. And there's a nice feat in one of the books that lets you combine ranger and pally levels for certain class abilities, which would be fairly appropriate.

Matuse
2005-07-08, 02:33 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the Mysterious Blue Girl is kinda hot?

Nightmarenny
2005-07-08, 02:35 PM
Dude I totaly dig Asian stick figure chicks ::)

Winged One
2005-07-08, 02:35 PM
Roy agrees with you.

Simonious
2005-07-08, 02:40 PM
Roy isn't in any danger from the Smite Evil since it will (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/theraven_stephenh/classes/PALADIN.html do no damage to him... So unless he is actually evil, or Belkar got away from the horse, the splorch is merely cliffhangeritis.

Grey Watcher
2005-07-08, 02:41 PM
Personally, I loved that the Cloaked Avenger is a woman. Maybe it's just the teeny tiny little feminist in me talking, but, I thought it was cool.

I also love how quickly she flies off the handle. I mean, I don't think Roy was necessarily warming up for a fight. "...we're not surrendering without a little-" and I assumed the next word was going to be "explanation." But, of course, she's so gung-ho about getting the evildoers that she stopped listening after "we're not surrendering."

But yeah, I thought it was really cool. I considering Roy's seated, and that she used two hands, she might actually kill him anyway. Though if he survives, I imagine that her confusion that her Smite didn't work will give her enough pause to allow Durkon to get in some talk to bring her back to sanity.

Winged One
2005-07-08, 02:43 PM
1. You're right, he won't be affected.
2. The link code here is
text goes here (insert url here)
3. He can still be killed by being whacked with a sword.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-08, 02:44 PM
Ironicly I just beat Destroy All Humans which has like the same twist. ;D

Adghar
2005-07-08, 02:50 PM
5 attacks... She is GOOD... :o

I personally believe that when it means that the smite has no effect, it means the bonus, but MBCG still has a mean normal attack and roy looks pretty injured there.

Cool comic, worth the wait.
I..don't know. At first i thought it was perhaps a God she followed, but then more likely I thought it was the guy she was bowing to in #120, which would mean he's not Dorukan as some people had predicted. Also, He wasn't mentioned as one of the people in Dorukan's party in #196.

I should do this in Sealed Predictions, but how do you know his full name is not Dr. Lord Soon Shojo the 4th Esquire? It's perfectly possible Lord Shojo and Soon are one and the same.

Simonious
2005-07-08, 02:50 PM
I guess it depends on how the DM interprets the rule on whether or not there is any sword damage. I could see it either way.

Sneak
2005-07-08, 03:26 PM
THE AWESOMENESS BLINDS ME! That is probably the most awesome comic ever.

And we have to wait until MONDAY for the next strip!

*goes insane*

Anyway, I was kind of surprised how Roy seemed to be attracted to the Blue Girl, as before he never showed anything like that.

GreyRat
2005-07-08, 03:47 PM
I think Belkar's dilemma is my favorite. I hate it when animal opponents do inappropriate combat manouvers. "It attacks me with all four legs? Then what is it standing on?!" "Uh, I dunno, that's what the book says." "Great, it's breakdancing!" ::)

And Roy's comments could show attraction, but they could just show condescension. I know *I* hate being called 'baby' by someone I've just bested in combat! >:(

And poor V. Hands up all Evokers who hate opponents with Evasion! ;D

Poeir
2005-07-08, 03:58 PM
I've actually written up a potential character sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1117799537 ;start=75#88) for blue girl, as a rogue 2/paladin 10. The character level could be higher, but everything that character has done (save speak with the weasel, which can be attributed to rules bending when it makes it funny) is covered by that (very strange) build. As a 10th-level paladin, discern lies is slightly too high of level to be able to cast, which complicates things until the Servant of Lord Shojo levels.

Mr._C.D._Ward
2005-07-08, 04:23 PM
See, I donīt really think this weeks strip is that great. I mean itīs an awesome fightscene with drama written all over it, but there is no oots humor in it (except maybe Belkar, you gotta love this guy ;D ). In my opinion there is too much storytelling going on. I loved it when the point of every strip was just telling one big joke (or two or three for that matter 8) ). The story was going forward anyway and once in a while you got a hint about what was really going on. Now I feel Rich is pushing the story too hard. I know he wants the story to end finally and the number 200 ought to be a special one, but I hope he will find back to the old roots of the oots (what a rhyme :o ).

Anyway, as far as dramatic storytelling goes, this one and the last strip were quite impressive :)

PS: If you find any spelling or grammer faults, please correct them.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-08, 04:25 PM
I dought that she is a Rogue. She is one of honor. I don't see her infesting something involving deciet(sp)

Qwernt
2005-07-08, 05:00 PM
I love the comic. Good story telling (and dropping hints to get people guessing at class - Giant does that on purpose everyone).

This made me wonder how Elan was planned to be out of this fight before a certain wrist was damaged - aka were the two wrists related or not.

One comment on improvments - I think a couple of more Lightning Backed panels would have good for effect - for example, where Blue Girl says "Honorless Dogs". Great time for us not to be able to quite see her. Or maybe the Windstriker attack panel, or even the final panel.

Obviously just random comments. Like I said, great piece of story telling.

MostlyHarmless
2005-07-08, 05:01 PM
I dought that she is a Rogue. She is one of honor. I don't see her infesting something involving deciet(sp)

Agreed. Due to her stunning kick, I'm guessing paladin/monk. Maybe with some ranger for double weapons, but that looks to me like Armed Flurry of Blows she's doing all over Roy's poor face.

And Mr._C.D._Ward did you not find the cell with Elan running away, playing the kazoo hilarious? I did.

Runolfr
2005-07-08, 05:01 PM
I've actually written up a potential character sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1117799537 ;start=75#88) for blue girl, as a rogue 2/paladin 10.

How do you deal with the facts that a Paladin must be Lawful Good and a Rogue can not be Lawful?

Winged One
2005-07-08, 05:11 PM
They can. You may have rogues confused with Divine Tricksters.