PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Feat Selection

Rowanomicon
2008-01-05, 04:31 AM
By 20th level a Human Fighter has 19 feats.

If you were to make such a character and had access to all splatbooks which feats would you choose (and where they come from), in what order, and why?

Nebo_
2008-01-05, 04:52 AM
This is just a glorified optimise a 20th level fighter thread. What gives?

Rowanomicon
2008-01-05, 05:09 AM
What do you mean "what gives?"
I'm curious as to what feats those playgrounders with more splatbook experience than me would choose.
I'm not nearly as familiar with most of the splatbooks as many on the boards here are so I don't know all of the multitudes of feats that have been written.

Yes, this is pretty much an optimisation thread focused specifically on feats. What exactly is the problem?
I was under the impession that many people engaged in hypothetical optimisation for fun. I generally don't do that, but this is still a topic of interest for me.

I'm not seeking an optimised fighter to play. I probably wont be gaming for a few months anyway.

Nebo_
2008-01-05, 05:24 AM
The most effective feats for a fighter are lockdown ones. Standstill, Improved Trip, Mage Slayer, Improved disarm, Robilar's Gambit, Karmic Strike... things like that. There should be some feats left over for defense, too. Steadfast determination springs to mind. Martial study and martial stance are also good.

Rowanomicon
2008-01-05, 05:44 AM
It would be very helpful for me to find the feats you mention so as to see what they do if yo were to tell me what books they come from.

Nebo_
2008-01-05, 06:16 AM
Hmm, let's see. Standstill is from XPH, Improved trip and disarm are PHB, Karmic Strike and Mage Slayer are from CW, Robilar's Gambit and Steadfast determination are from PHBII, Martial study and stance are from ToB.

You can also make a horrid leap attack monster with Leap Attack (CW), Shock Trooper (CW) and Combat Brute (CW)

Reinboom
2008-01-05, 06:19 AM
The feats index helps to find feats. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats)

Kizara
2008-01-05, 06:41 AM
Hmm, let's see. Standstill is from XPH, Improved trip and disarm are PHB, Karmic Strike and Mage Slayer are from CW, Robilar's Gambit and Steadfast determination are from PHBII, Martial study and stance are from ToB.

You can also make a horrid leap attack monster with Leap Attack (CW), Shock Trooper (CW) and Combat Brute (CW)

Mage Slayer and it's chain are Carc.

Gardakan
2008-01-05, 01:29 PM
Exotic Weapon Profiniency (Chain...), Weapon Focus, Improved Disarm...

All the feats to deal damage... Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes...

Draz74
2008-01-05, 01:58 PM
Combat Expertise is semi-lame, but important anyway because it's a prerequisite for Improved Trip. Weapon Focus is very lame after low levels. Improved Disarm is lame unless your campaign focuses on humanoid NPC foes. Leap Attack isn't Complete Warrior, it's Complete Adventurer.

I assume what you're after here is a Fighter that's as well-rounded as possible, rather than a Broken One-Trick Pony type?

I may get time later to post an answer of my own.

Edit: What about Alternate Class Features that replace feats for Fighters? There are some of those in PHB II, Races of Stone (not for humans though), and (probably best) Dungeonscape. Are they allowed?

Rowanomicon
2008-01-05, 04:23 PM
Thank you SweetRein, that's a very good link.

Well rounded is always better than one trick pony in my books, but this thread would be a good place to post intersting tricks that you can come up with.

This thread if mostly about feats, but I suppose bringing up alternate class features would be fine.
It's OK if they're not for humans; I just used that as the example/base.

So, something not along the optimisation vein:

What are some cool Feat combos that allow you to do neat stuff (any splatbooks)? Optimal not required, but effective is nice.

Talya
2008-01-05, 04:36 PM
Tactical feats in general are versatile and let you pull a variety of tricks. They really are "tactical" in nature, because they are situational and if used intelligently can turn the tide of battle.

Elusive Target is the one most people love, although it has suboptimal prerequisites of dodge and mobility.