PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but Goldies; SNES favorite games

XiaoTie
2008-01-05, 07:34 AM
I'm away from my computer, and will probably be away during the first weeks of January. When I'm tired and sleepy I don't have much to do in this not-so-well-‘equipped’ laptop I'm stuck with. But knowing this beforehand I knew I had to play some good old snes games: Final Fantasy III (/ IV), Chrono Trigger, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, and Nobunaga’s Ambition are my favorites.

So, I was wondering what is your favorite snes game (or games)? :elan:

Icewalker
2008-01-05, 01:35 PM
Super Mario RPG. Awesome game.

Hermit
2008-01-05, 01:55 PM
I'd have to either say Super Metroid, which is brilliant, or Earthbound, for being a genius game.

Theodoriph
2008-01-06, 05:50 AM
I always liked Mariokart myself. :smallredface:

hmm...some of the Japanese Dragon Warrior games (if you use an emulator and get the translated versions) aren't bad either =)

FoE
2008-01-06, 06:17 AM
Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy III. Kupo!

Reinboom
2008-01-06, 06:38 AM
Depends on mood...

Seiken Densetsu 3
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Megaman X 3

Unfortunately, I no longer have Super Mario World, and Megaman X 3 is ridiculously difficult to get.
:smallfrown:

Triaxx
2008-01-06, 06:51 AM
MMX is great, and I love Super Mario World. FF6 was also a long favorite.

The Duskblade
2008-01-06, 07:00 AM
Chrono trigger. No doubt about it. Also I must admit Donkey kong country 2 is my favorite side scroller. (Yes that includes Mario.)

SMEE
2008-01-06, 07:27 AM
1. Super Mario World (I spent most of my vacations playing this game)
2. Super Mario Kart (When I wasn't playing Super Mario World, I was playing this one)
3. Super Mario All Stars (Doki Doki Panic is sooo fun!)
4. Ogre Battle
5. Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Those were my absolute favorites. I would spend a whole day playing any of them.

Serpentine
2008-01-06, 08:12 AM
Bubsy, the Donkey Kongs, Mario Kart annnnd... well, I quite liked Lufia :smallredface:

XiaoTie
2008-01-06, 08:56 AM
1. Super Mario World (I spent most of my vacations playing this game)
2. Super Mario Kart (When I wasn't playing Super Mario World, I was playing this one)
3. Super Mario All Stars (Doki Doki Panic is sooo fun!)
4. Ogre Battle
5. Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Those were my absolute favorites. I would spend a whole day playing any of them.

Crap! I knew I was forgetting something on my list; Ogre Battle.

Bubsy, the Donkey Kongs, Mario Kart annnnd... well, I quite liked Lufia :smallredface:

Lufia: Rise of the Sinistrals was the first RPG I ever played, so it has a special place in my gamer heart. :elan:

Albub
2008-01-06, 12:37 PM
Kirby Superstar for president! Why does everyone on this forum love RPGs so damn much?

Reinboom
2008-01-06, 06:25 PM
Kirby Superstar for president! Why does everyone on this forum love RPGs so damn much?

ooo, I forgot about this excellent game. And Donkey Kong Country 2 somehow. :smalleek:

I believe people like RPGs a lot, since, usually alongside tabletop RPGs, you get your gamers more inclined to play video game RPGs.
Given the comic is based on tabletop RPGs....

Ozymandias
2008-01-06, 06:56 PM
Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Terranigma, Bahamut Lagoon, Monstania, Rudora no Hidou, and Dual Orb 2 are all fine RPGs that have yet to be mentioned, roughly in order of decreasing quality.

Also: Live-a-Live. That is possibly the finest game never to have been released stateside (that I've played).

Albub
2008-01-07, 06:09 PM
ooo, I forgot about this excellent game. And Donkey Kong Country 2 somehow. :smalleek:

I believe people like RPGs a lot, since, usually alongside tabletop RPGs, you get your gamers more inclined to play video game RPGs.
Given the comic is based on tabletop RPGs....

Sorry, was the sarcasm not blatant enough?

Mr.Moron
2008-01-07, 07:39 PM
Lufia II, easily. I still think it has my favorite ending of any game I've played.

I want to mention Phantasy Star IV as well, but that was Sega genesis. Honestly genesis had some pretty good stuff on it too, I really liked both systems.

XiaoTie
2008-01-07, 07:51 PM
Lufia II, easily. I still think it has my favorite ending of any game I've played.

I want to mention Phantasy Star IV as well, but that was Sega genesis. Honestly genesis had some pretty good stuff on it too, I really liked both systems.

I remember playing a [A]D&D game on sega genesis, where you had a party of six or something like that, and you would start inside a castle.
And Lufia II is indeed awesome, I have a friend that uses Dekar as a nickname till these days :elan:

MattKatt
2008-01-07, 08:50 PM
Ok, completly against the grain here apparently but:

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Flawless
2008-01-08, 12:43 AM
There were quite a few really good games for the SNES. My favourites are:

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Joshi's Island
Super Matroid
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Seiken Densetsu 2 (aka Secret of Mana)
Seiken Densetsu 3
Secret of Evermore
Illusion of Gaia / Time
Terranigma
Starfox
Shadowrun
Street Fighter II
Super Bomberman 5

I'm sure that's not all of them, I just can't remember right now.

Ettlesby
2008-01-08, 12:49 AM
EarthBound.

Most definitely EarthBound.

It's just...plain awesome.

Chrono Trigger is a close second.

Cybren
2008-01-09, 01:24 AM
Mario RPG
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 4
Ogre Battle
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Super Metroid
Mega Man X
Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Act Raiser (whichever was on the SNES)
Super Mario Bros. Allstars
Mario Kart
Kirby Superstar
Secret of Mana
Illusion of Gaia
Out of this World
Link to the Past
Super Adventure Island
Pilot Wings

The OP gets +500 points for mention UW: NH

Basically, 50% of the top 100 games are on the SNES

Aussiepat
2008-01-09, 05:07 AM
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
A Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country

It's a short list as I don't have many SNES games.

Indon
2008-01-09, 10:17 AM
Chrono Trigger, and both Lufia games, and I'd like to echo Ozy's mention of Terranigma and Rudora no Hihou.

Rudora had the most awesome magical system I've seen yet. So much was done with it, and could have been done with future systems like it if it'd ever caught on...

I also have a special place in my heart for the SNES version of Civilization.

Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Terranigma, Bahamut Lagoon, Monstania, Rudora no Hidou, and Dual Orb 2 are all fine RPGs that have yet to be mentioned, roughly in order of decreasing quality.

XiaoTie
2008-01-09, 01:11 PM
Chrono Trigger, and both Lufia games, and I'd like to echo Ozy's mention of Terranigma and Rudora no Hihou.

Rudora had the most awesome magical system I've seen yet. So much was done with it, and could have been done with future systems like it if it'd ever caught on...

I also have a special place in my heart for the SNES version of Civilization.

Civilzation is fun, kinda weird around the end when you still have those Palhanx while Tanks roam the land :smalltongue:

Is this Rudora no Hihou game an RPG?

The OP gets +500 points for mention UW: NH

Basically, 50% of the top 100 games are on the SNES

UW: NH is one of the most awesomes games I have ever played, it has so damn much inside a single game. And I totaly agree with the 50 out of 100 thing.

Endeavourl
2008-01-09, 09:47 PM
Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana

Woot Spitum
2008-01-09, 10:04 PM
Secret of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, Mariokart, Final Fantasy III (6), Super Metroid, and Super Street Fighter II are all some of my favorite games, but none of them quite compares to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I've probably played through it at least ten times.

Mirrinus
2008-01-10, 06:25 PM
Lots of fantastic games have already been named, but I'm going to have to add Fire Emblem 4. Many fans of the Fire Emblem series, including myself, believe it to be the best game in the series, due to its daring plot twists, emphasized character pairing system, and other effective features that weren't in the later games released for other platforms.

And props to the other person who mentioned Seiken Densetsu 3.

Actually, I believe that many SNES games are strongly in the running for the best game of their respective series. Final Fantasy VI, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Kirby Super Star...

Errata
2008-01-10, 06:46 PM
Shadowrun, Actraiser, Link to the Past

adanedhel9
2008-01-10, 07:20 PM
Seiken Densetsu 3
Earthbound
Kirby Superstar

... in approximate order. Seiken Densetsu 3 is still one of my all-time favorite games.

Obrysii
2008-01-10, 08:37 PM
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Mariokart
Simcity

Those were my favorites. And I still, thankfully, have them.

Geno9999
2008-01-23, 09:34 PM
1. Super Mario RPG, 2. Super Mario Super Stars, 3. Super Mario World and... 4. Super Metroid. (what is with me and games that begin with Super?)

Just loved playing SMRPG, in fact when I first heard the plot and that Bowser was helping Mario, I didn't believed it until I played it.

Mando Knight
2008-01-24, 12:43 PM
I like most everything on the SNES that I've played to completion...

Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Link to the Past
Super Metroid (I never got it for the SNES proper, but I beat it on the VC... play it with a Classic Controller.)
Mario All-Stars
Mega Man X (PLEASE, Capcom, release all of the SNES MMXs on the VC. I need to play the sequels. NOW!)

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-01-24, 12:52 PM
Earthbound (Modern day, kids, ATM machines? What's NOT to love!)
Final Fantasy II
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania

Several others, and with the wonderful world of emulators, you get to play them all over again!

Woot Spitum
2008-01-24, 02:27 PM
Mega Man X (PLEASE, Capcom, release all of the SNES MMXs on the VC. I need to play the sequels. NOW!)The Megaman X collection was released on the gamecube, which is how I got access to all the sequels.

Mando Knight
2008-01-24, 04:41 PM
I forgot about that, I should browse Ebay/Amazon to find it...

SITB
2008-01-24, 04:51 PM
Other then the usual (Chrono Trigger, FF VI, Earthbound) and the like, I would like to mention Live A Live is pretty fun. Also, it has the most awesome menu choice ever:

Fight
Pass
Item
Armageddon

Also, props for letting me take the choice of letting the Villain win by my own hands.

Premsyl
2008-01-24, 07:43 PM
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3, naturally.

Joe and Mac
Earthbound
Super Metroid
Mortal Kombat 2 & 3

Funny how I can't think of any more. I know there's more.