PDA

View Full Version : Gaining divine spells without losing CL

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-05, 07:39 AM
I have a sorcerer that follows Iborighu (from Frostburn). He wants to enter into the Winterhaunt of Iborighu prestige class, but I've hit a wall. He needs to be able to cast at least 1 level 1 divine spell (as a divine spell). Additionally, I want him to be able to do so without losing any of his arcane spell progression, since sorcerers are already getting their spells one level later than wizards. So I'm looking for a PrC dip, feat, holy/unholy rite that will grant me access to at least 1 first-level divine spell as a divine spell.

I can use pretty much anything as a source as long as it's published. I don't think WotC has anything for me but 3rd-party is fair game as well.

Kizara
2008-01-05, 07:54 AM
I have a sorcerer that follows Iborighu (from Frostburn). He wants to enter into the Winterhaunt of Iborighu prestige class, but I've hit a wall. He needs to be able to cast at least 1 level 1 divine spell (as a divine spell). Additionally, I want him to be able to do so without losing any of his arcane spell progression, since sorcerers are already getting their spells one level later than wizards. So I'm looking for a PrC dip, feat, holy/unholy rite that will grant me access to at least 1 first-level divine spell as a divine spell.

I can use pretty much anything as a source as long as it's published. I don't think WotC has anything for me but 3rd-party is fair game as well.

What about Arcane Disciple?

Chronicled
2008-01-05, 08:00 AM
What about Arcane Disciple?

Unfortunately, those are cast as arcane spells. Good idea, though.

Nebo_
2008-01-05, 08:10 AM
I've heard of a feat called Southern Magician that might help. I don't know where it's from though.

new1965
2008-01-05, 08:17 AM
I've heard of a feat called Southern Magician that might help. I don't know where it's from though.

Its from Races of Faerun

Its described on the bottom of the page here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20040630a

Caewil
2008-01-05, 09:12 AM
I think there is a way to trade your familliar for access to one domain (eg the healing domain).

sikyon
2008-01-05, 09:27 AM
Southern magic seems like a good bet. Ask your DM to be sure, though.

squishycube
2008-01-05, 09:33 AM
Woah! What did WotC take when writing that feat? An actual scaling feat in 3.5? It's a miracle!

Talya
2008-01-05, 11:31 AM

1. Domain Access: Sorceror Alternate Class Feature, Complete Champion pg. 52

Domain Access
Your depth of belief allows you to channel divine power the way a cleric does. By doing so, you gain access to a single cleric domain.
Level: 5th.
Replaces: To gain this benefit, you do not learn a new lst-level sorcerer spell and a new 2nd-level sorcerer spell at 5th level. From now on, you know one less sorcerer spell that you can cast at each subsequent level (not counting the domain spells from this alternative class feature).
Benefit: Choose one cleric domain. If you worship a specific deity, the domain you choose must be one to which your deity grants access. You gain the granted power of the chosen domain. In addition, you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain.

2. Divine Oracle PRC. -Gain access to Oracle Domain, continues spellcasting progression. Complete Divine, Page 34.

Curmudgeon
2008-01-05, 04:59 PM
These are excellent finds, Talya; unfortunately, they don't meet the OP's requirements.
Once the domain spell is known, the sorcerer may cast it freely. Unless that prestige class specifies otherwise, such spells are considered arcane spells when cast by arcane spellcasters.

Talya
2008-01-05, 05:20 PM
These are excellent finds, Talya; unfortunately, they don't meet the OP's requirements.

That might be true of divine oracle, but it doesn't say that about the Domain Access alternate class feature.

Renegade Paladin
2008-01-05, 05:31 PM
Well, I can tell you how to do it without losing caster levels, but you're going to lose spell progression pretty much no matter what you do.

Aquillion
2008-01-05, 05:51 PM
What about Alternative Source Spell? That doesn't cost you anything but a feat.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-05, 07:51 PM
What about Alternative Source Spell? That doesn't cost you anything but a feat.

I believe that feat only allows one to prepare their arcane and divine spells across slots. That is, one would already need to be able to cast both types of spells.

I wish I`d known about domain access at 5th level. Unfortunately my character is 15th level now, so I couldn`t justify it.

I will check up on all these suggestions and talk to my DM tonight about Southern Magician. Thanks for the help, all!

zyphyr
2008-01-06, 03:02 AM
One sentence in Southern Magician makes me think it doesn't really work :

The actual source of the spell's power doesn't change, and neither does its means of preparation.

To me that implies that this feat is just to change the rules governing the spell, and not the actual type.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 10:44 AM
One sentence in Southern Magician makes me think it doesn't really work :
To me that implies that this feat is just to change the rules governing the spell, and not the actual type.

Yes, I think it could be interpreted that way and thought the same when I first read it. But then I thought about Ur-Priests and their ability to cast divine spells without the sanction of a deity. They still cast divine spells. As a sorcerer with this feat, one will still be casting divine spells. Whether this is enough to qualify for a prestige class that requires an ability to cast at least 1st-level divine spells would be up to a DM. I think the spirit of the feat is as you said.

My DM has agreed to allow me to take this feat (despite the regional prerequisite) and use it to qualify for Winterhaunt. So Nebo, thank you very much for calling attention to it. New1965, thank you for providing source information and the link. Everyone else, thank you for all your suggestions. :smallbiggrin: