PDA

View Full Version : Feat to give arcane casters domainspells?

Kiyona
2008-01-05, 07:41 AM
Hello everyone,

I am making a sorcerer for our next campaign, and heard there is a feat wich lets you use domainspells. Is that true? It would be extremely useful since there is only three of us, and no healer. ^^

Witch
2008-01-05, 07:44 AM
I think it's in Complete Divine. They're still based off Wisdom, though, and can only be used once per day per spell level, if I recall correctly. I think it's called Arcane Disciple.

Kiyona
2008-01-05, 08:02 AM
Ok, well then I think its better just to max UMD and carry lots and lots of wands =)

Thanks =)

Chronicled
2008-01-05, 08:02 AM
Arcane Disciple is the feat. If you have no other way of getting a healer, you could take it with the Healing Domain, then get a wand of Cure Light Wounds (made by a bard of course, so it's arcane) and use that.

Kiyona
2008-01-05, 08:08 AM
I thought about the leadership feat, to get a cleric with us. As i am playing sorcerers, and the boys are a frenzied berserker and psionic.No healing there.

But i think will be alright still. We have an understanding DM. ^^

RandomFellow
2008-01-05, 10:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I am making a sorcerer for our next campaign, and heard there is a feat wich lets you use domainspells. Is that true? It would be extremely useful since there is only three of us, and no healer. ^^

Complete Champion has a Domain Access class variant for Sorcerers that gives you a domain + granted power in exchange for 1 spell known(?) per level. And it isn't based off of wisdom if I am recall correctly.

Douglas
2008-01-05, 11:39 AM
Get the Magic Item Compendium and buy lots of Healing Belts. 3 charges per day of 2d8 healing with a standard action touch for 750 gp. Not as useful as a wand over short periods as you can't burn through 50 charges in one day, but it gets rid of the constant drain on party resources of having to buy new wands when the old ones run out of charges.

Neek
2008-01-05, 11:47 AM
As said before, it's in the Complete Divine (not Complete Champion), called Arcane Disciple (page 79). Arcane Disciple adds the domain spells to your list of spells known; you use your Wisdom to determine the DC of the spell. Here's where I have a problem with it: You can prepare (or if you spontaneously cast, cast) one domain spell per level per day. The text doesn't state whether this domain spell is in addition to your spells per day or not (there is no errata).

Either way: Having the domain (Healing) as a sorcerer does not let you spam healing. You can only cast one domain spell per day... however, if you take Spontaneous Healing, you can convert any arcane spell slot in casting a cure spell as a Cleric does, equal to a number of times a day your Wisdom modifier.

So... make sure your Wisdom is on par with your Cha.

Iku Rex
2008-01-05, 12:02 PM
As said before, it's in the Complete Divine (not Complete Champion), called Arcane Disciple (page 79).RandomFellow was talking about the alternate class feature Domain Access, from Complete Champion.

Arcane Disciple adds the domain spells to your list of spells known; you use your Wisdom to determine the DC of the spell. Here's where I have a problem with it: You can prepare (or if you spontaneously cast, cast) one domain spell per level per day. The text doesn't state whether this domain spell is in addition to your spells per day or not (there is no errata).They're not spells known, they're just added to your class list of arcane spells. Then you can choose to scribe them into your wizard spellbook or pick them as a sorcerer spell known, as normal.

There's no reason to think you get any extra spells in addition to your normal spells per day.

RandomFellow
2008-01-05, 12:05 PM
Ugh, I can never remember that thing's name. I'll fix my post. =0

Neek
2008-01-05, 12:18 PM
RandomFellow was talking about the alternate class feature Domain Access, from Complete Champion.

D'oh. I couldn't find the feat. I didn't realize it was an alternative class feature... which isn't that bad.

They're not spells known, they're just added to your class list of arcane spells. Then you can choose to scribe them into your wizard spellbook or pick them as a sorcerer spell known, as normal.

That was a misread on my part. My bad.

There's no reason to think you get any extra spells in addition to your normal spells per day.[/QUOTE]

And since it's not added to your spells known... that makes sense. But still, the one domain spell/level is a bit rough. The spontaneous healer feat is a good choice either way, still.

Aquillion
2008-01-05, 06:04 PM
I thought about the leadership feat, to get a cleric with us. As i am playing sorcerers, and the boys are a frenzied berserker and psionic.No healing there.Actually, if you can convince the psion to be an Egoist, there's some healing there. They can use Empathic Transfer + Vigor to cheaply and quickly restore HP to others (technically, they lose the vigor HP before others even with Empathic Transfer, though your DM might not allow this, in which case they'll need Body Adjustment), Psionic Revivify to bring back the dead (if they died very recently; and it has no level loss, just a tiny XP cost!), Psionic Restoration to recover level and stat loss (very important, and easy to forget if you get healing elsewhere), and so on.

SofS
2008-01-06, 04:23 AM
If you do decide to get the Healing domain somehow, you could get the Touch of Healing reserve feat to milk it for all that it's worth. You can heal people in minor amounts up to half of their maximum HP. Good if you're low on resources, as a bit of time spent after combat makes sure that you only ever have to heal half of someone's HP.