PDA

View Full Version : Pelennor Fields in candy

dish
2008-01-05, 10:36 AM
I think this (http://missedmanners.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/the-battle-of-pelennor-fields/) was a very cool use of the winter holidays. And it shames me for my lack of creativity.

Narmoth
2008-01-05, 10:47 AM
Really nice. But that would ahve taken a lot of time to make

Castaras
2008-01-05, 10:53 AM
Sweeties....:smalleek:

So...many...SWEETIES! :smallbiggrin:

*stares* I so want to make something like that. Or eat something like that. <.< >.>

Exachix
2008-01-05, 11:09 AM
It's mostly want to eat isn't it?

I think... what would be cool, is to make a cake castle...

Castaras
2008-01-05, 11:14 AM
It's mostly want to eat isn't it?

I'd want to make it as well! Nothing as satisfying as eating something you made. :smallbiggrin:

LCR
2008-01-05, 11:22 AM
I'd want to make it as well! Nothing as satisfying as eating something you made. :smallbiggrin:

There is always eating what other people have made, without their permission, of course. Because frankly, it wouldn't be quite the fun to ask before you're eating your little sister's birthday cake all on your own.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-05, 11:25 AM
I would make something like that, only my patience would fail me and I would eat the whole thing in advance before finishing and making pictures of it...

YPU
2008-01-05, 11:28 AM

I an remember quite some foodstuffs I tried to make that wouldn’t be fun at all to eat.

FdL
2008-01-05, 11:45 AM
That does look cool in some disturbing way. The attention they paid to detail is actually pretty impressive.

I want to say something sarcastic along the lines of "Yay, playing with food". But I don't want to be seen as overly negative. Still, I think this should be done with non-edible materials.

dish
2008-01-05, 12:52 PM
I think this should be done with non-edible materials.

If you wanted to keep it, I guess more permanent materials would be suitable, but there's a long tradition of edible art. Everyone's heard of gingerbread houses, but did you know that one of the sculptures included in the Royal Academy of Art's summer show last year was made of fruitcake and marzipan (http://www.rachelmount.com/exhibitions.html)? (It's the bureau - the last in the series of pictures on that page.)

Hmm...I live in a country where baking ingredients are hard to come by, and I only have a 13inch toaster oven, but you may have inspired me there... It would certainly require creativity to manage that.

Smeik
2008-01-05, 01:07 PM
And all i got was a witches' house from my grandpa. :smallfrown:

But this also reminded me of... The Discworld Cake! (http://homepages.tesco.net/~janefisk/discworld/discworld.htm)

Icewalker
2008-01-05, 01:32 PM
...two comments:

Awesome.

You have way too much free time.

North
2008-01-05, 02:59 PM
Thats quite awesome. I could never build that my appetite would betray me.

FdL
2008-01-06, 12:07 AM
If you wanted to keep it, I guess more permanent materials would be suitable, but there's a long tradition of edible art.

Also, you know, the thing about playing with food and being there people in the world with nothing to eat and all that. But don't mind me. I'm the one spoiling the fun here.

Pyrian
2008-01-06, 01:36 AM
Also, you know, the thing about playing with food and being there people in the world with nothing to eat and all that.People don't starve because there isn't enough food (well, not recently, anyway), people starve because they can't obtain it.

Pyro
2008-01-06, 07:15 PM
That is so cool. These people should totally make a death star next.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-01-06, 11:14 PM
That's ... impressive. I can't imagine how much time (and money) they spent making that.

I also looked at their pictures of Helm's Deep from last year, and I must say that the Pelennor Fields looks much better. Has a lot to do with the fact that Minas Tirith is visually stunning, whereas the wall in Helm's Deep is just plain white.