PDA

View Full Version : How to rp a charisma of 20?

Akisa
2008-01-05, 01:49 PM
I just made a bard based on this character (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=944962).

(Base 16, 18 after 2 level ability boost and finally a +2 charismatic cloak)

She has +19 to bluff, disguise, Use Magic Device and perform (21 with MW instrument), +23 for Diplomacy and +13 for sense motive. Gather Info, and intimidate are untrained with (+9 and +11 respectively due to circlet of persuasion). Alhila is only 40 years as well to play as a lesser drow (because there are other drows in the campaign that we fought and is also a replacement character).

Any tips you could offer would be appreciated...

nerulean
2008-01-05, 02:01 PM
You need a fair amount of DM complicity to play high charisma effectively. It frustrates me a lot to hear, "Well, this NPC doesn't like pretty people, so he likes your high charisma character less than he would like a person of charisma 10." Let your DM know that that charisma is a roleplay thing as well as just a functional way of having high spell DCs, as far as you're concerned.

Remember that charisma is force of personality, inherent leadership potential, a certain flair for communication and the ability to manipulate people in social situations, as well as just physical appearance. It's quite possible to have one of these things high while the rest are average or low and still deserve a high charisma score.

Talya
2008-01-05, 02:01 PM
Eilistraeen drow are fun, fluff-wise (Crunch-wise, not so much). Bard is very applicable, too.

Feats worth considering: Chaos Music, Song of the Heart
PrC to consider: Sublime Chord. Wanna be a bard with most of the advantages of being a sorceror?

I tend to play high charisma characters (currently running a level 5 star elf/half celestial (savage progressions) bard of Eilistraee, and a sorceror/heartwarder of Sune. You can do a lot with those charisma points, both in and out of combat.

How you play high charisma will depend greatly on how you are placing that charisma. Is she drop dead gorgeous? The voice of an angel? Can she melt hearts with a smile? Does she know how to talk/move in ways that make everyone notice? Does she have a commanding presence? How about all of the above?

At 20 charisma, she's personality incarnate. Play it up. Always play to people's weaknesses, personality-wise. If you're facing a lecherous womanizer, you own him already. If you're convincing a crowd, they'll listen. Charisma comes in many forms, assertiveness does not mean bossiness (although it can.) People listen, even when your suggestions are subtle. Live by it.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-01-05, 02:35 PM
The same way you played her 16-18 Cha before she got that stat booster. No, seriously, it's that simple.

TS

Akisa
2008-01-05, 02:47 PM
The same way you played her 16-18 Cha before she got that stat booster. No, seriously, it's that simple.

TS

Umm this is a replacement character for my old character so I haven't played her for previous 9 levels.

Talya
2008-01-05, 02:51 PM
Oh, and make sure your spells include Alter Self or Disguise Self. As a drow, it's best not to incite mob violence before you have a chance to use that charisma.

icthius
2008-01-05, 03:00 PM
Read up on the legends of Apollo and mimick the heck out of them until you're comfortable. You should be pretty, nice and have a winning personality. Additionally, look at your weak spots in stats. If you have a low STR or CON, you're a bit of a twink, but handsome and non-threatening. If you have low DEX, you're really buff and pretty, but slow to react because of it. If you have low INT you're a ditz, or a low WIS you're self absorbed. It'll add depth to the character. Hope that helps!

Akisa
2008-01-05, 03:07 PM
Str: 12
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha 18, (buffed to 20).

So my stats all around are above average for drows...

North
2008-01-05, 03:27 PM
If you want to see a mega high charisma character watch "Thank you for smoking". Im in sales and Im good but Aaron Eckharts character is an absolute master.

Nick Naylor: Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I talk. Everyone has a talent.

The_Shaman
2008-01-05, 05:03 PM
I remember a thread that asked the same question, but for a score of 32.

Anyway, I think that character would be a natural with impressing people - for better or worse - to the point that people would be unable not to notice them. I think such a high charisma would mean you have an ego like a sledgehammer. When you talk, people listen - and seldom talk back even when you have nothing to say.

I'd disagree with North a bit: if I remember correctly (I didn't watch the entire movie though), the character in the movie is good at persuading people by knowing what, how and when to say: the kind of knowledge and skill that's represented by ranks in a skill. OTOH, I think Charisma is the raw magnetism that makes people nod regardless of whether you're swiping them off their feet with your arguments or spew total BS... The kind of instinctive appeal and confidence that stars have. In your dealings with others, be supremely confident (not necessarily vain, just sure of yourself), speak with authority, and take charge in any situation. People can't help but be impressed with you, and you know it.

Akisa
2008-01-06, 02:55 AM
If you want to see a mega high charisma character watch "Thank you for smoking". Im in sales and Im good but Aaron Eckharts character is an absolute master.

Where can I find info on this character then?

Corollax
2008-01-06, 03:30 AM
Have you ever read the Discworld books with Moist Von Lipwig in them? He's an excellent example of a highly charismatic character that uses his personality in a variety of ways. If you have a chance I suggest you read it for inspiration and a laugh.

All characters, if RPed well, have a weekness; it might be greed, vanity, a dream etc. A curring diplomat wit sense motive could figure these things ot and take advantage of it. A character with a huge charisma score should be able to make people interested in them and want to see what they'll do next.

Solo
2008-01-06, 03:37 AM
"You there, in my room at 9:00. You, at 9:15. Bring a friend."

Yami
2008-01-06, 04:09 AM
I have two different approaches I use in such situations.

One is to play an introvert, and speak up only when you need to.

The other is to play a rat bastard and test the limits of your diplomacy. Talk down to everybody and generally play like usual.

The_Shaman
2008-01-06, 07:30 AM
Have you ever read the Discworld books with Moist Von Lipwig in them?

Funny you mention Discworld - imo Carrot would be the textbook example of a character with very high Charisma and (at least at first) no/few ranks in the skills that govern public behavior.

GolemsVoice
2008-01-06, 10:24 AM
I think Charisma is not so much a thing of how you play, but how the DM makes the NPCs react. A person with average charisma and your 20 charisma drow could both be saying the same things, but you have some advantage. Maybe you are just beautiful, but usually that's not enough, though it helps alot. But what I think is the main source of charisma is that it represents personal force (that's why it's used for casting, no one casts better just because he looks more beautiful than someone other). No matter what you say, your partner will listen, and will be more willingly to fullfil what you aks of them. Maybe sit together with your DM and explain to him what you think makes your character charismatic, and ask him if he could consider that when talking to you.

Talya
2008-01-06, 10:34 AM
The other is to play a rat bastard and test the limits of your diplomacy. Talk down to everybody and generally play like usual.

"Talking down to people" is generally a good way to play a lack of charisma rather than a high charisma score. Generally overt arrogance doesn't endear people to you; an arrogant person with a high charisma score is likely (although not always) to be very good at hiding that arrogance. (And high charisma doesn't make you any more likely to be arrogant at all.) The only reason a high charisma person might talk down to someone is if humiliating them (a form of intimidation) is the intent.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-06, 02:51 PM
That could be an interesting concept: people are fascinated by you despite themselves. You are not a good person, but they follow you anyway. Maybe it's for pride, or lechery, or love, or what have you. Whatever it is, you've got it and they want it.

You could be arrogant and full of yourself and underestimate everyone. But people still throw themselves at your feet.

snoopy13a
2008-01-06, 03:49 PM
"Talking down to people" is generally a good way to play a lack of charisma rather than a high charisma score. Generally overt arrogance doesn't endear people to you; an arrogant person with a high charisma score is likely (although not always) to be very good at hiding that arrogance. (And high charisma doesn't make you any more likely to be arrogant at all.) The only reason a high charisma person might talk down to someone is if humiliating them (a form of intimidation) is the intent.

There's a certain kind of person who pulls off arrogance. Essentially, others want that person's approval despite the fact that he/she is a jerk. Basically, it is a person that everyone wants to be friends with even though they treat those people poorly.

However, the arrogance devries from the charisma, not the other way around. A low charisma person can be arrogant but people will ignore them instead of trying to please them.

North
2008-01-06, 04:34 PM
Where can I find info on this character then?

Id suggest renting the movie firstly it was actually pretty good.

IMDB gives a good breakdown and a lot of good quotes too though if you cant find it.

Danin
2008-01-06, 05:22 PM
I have a friend, his name is Colin.

No matter what he does, you can't stay mad at him. Some times his arguments verge on insanity, he lies, cheats and doesnt care about others feelings. But you can't stay mad at him. Even if you try. Something in the way he moves, the way he acts, you can't not get along with him. You get mad, but within a few seconds you forgett why, he was only joking after all. Another friend summed it up perfectly:

"He didn't call us to hang out, we called him. We agreed to meet half way but he decided he didn't feel like walking so we walked across the city to meet him. He didn't have anything to drink so we bought it for him. Then he decided to ditch us for some other friends and ya, we were ticked, but when he called us later we happily met up and got him a later dinner"

Thats called Charisma.

Rutee
2008-01-06, 05:47 PM
Actually, that's untrue. A Magnificent Bastard could and would have a high charisma score, and /still/ talk down to people. The difference would be that they do it in such a way as that they're still likable, at the /least/ for those surrounding the character, if not the target themselves.

As to the OP... It's as much a DM's role as it is a Player's, but since you're not the DM, we'll offer tips on your end. Find someone who you like, who's personality and bearing is somewhat similar to how you imagine your character's to be, and draw inspiration from them. I genuinely do not know who is similar to your character,a s a cursory glance at your thread didn't reveal that to me. There's a lot of forms of charisma, and if you're having trouble choosing a /style/ of it, that's a different problem then asking for help portraying that style. So, do you know what kinda Charisma you want? Just general winning charm? Magnificent Bastard? Genki Girl? There's lotsa ways to do this, see.. XD

Baidas Kebante
2008-01-06, 06:06 PM
Str: 12
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha 18, (buffed to 20).

So my stats all around are above average for drows...

Based on these stats, I'd say that as a bard your character probably acts as a teacher to many. You're intelligent enough to know a lot of things and you're wise enough to understand the reasons behind these things, but your greatest talent is being able to explain these things to those around you in an interesting and memorable way. You're like Aesop, teaching people complex ideas using simple stories. It may not be a moral that you're teaching, but listeners will still learn a great deal from what you have to say.

You're also probably like political satirist. You are smart enough to understand what people in authority are saying and wise enough to cut through all the lies and half-truths. You can explain Truth to a crowd and help them understand the real issues at hand. You're the consummate popular stand-up comedian, using jokes to bring out the message clearly and in a way that allows listeners to see what you see.

Assuming that you're chaotic good, this means that you tend to tell stories for the sake of helping people to think for themselves. You clear away the double-talk and BS, so that people leave you less ignorant when you finish your stories. You know you have a great deal of influence over others so you try to use it to educate while entertaining. You're probably not doing it for the money, though getting paid is still a good thing. Your core reason for doing what you do is making sure that "ignorant masses" don't stay that way, and so that people in authority can't oppress the people any longer.

the_tick_rules
2008-01-06, 06:29 PM
has anyone mentioned playing the field, you know what I mean :wink:

Akisa
2008-01-06, 06:37 PM
has anyone mentioned playing the field, you know what I mean :wink:

*whacks the_tick_rules with a stick* Bad very bad....

Talya
2008-01-06, 06:38 PM
*whacks the_tick_rules with a stick* Bad very bad....

You're a drow, however. Even for Eilistraeens, it's somewhat expected. You could call them a "sexually open society." The only difference between Eilistraeens and Lolthites in that regard, is Eilistraeen females don't find innovatively brutal and sadistic ways to torture and kill their males when they get bored with them.

Rutee
2008-01-06, 06:43 PM
You're a drow, however. Even for Eilistraeens, it's somewhat expected. You could call them a "sexually open society." The only difference between Eilistraeens and Lolthites in that regard, is Eilistraeen females don't find innovatively brutal and sadistic ways to torture and kill their males when they get bored with them.

Might just be that it was stunningly unhelpful advice. Where does one find out about Eilistraeen drow?

Talya
2008-01-06, 06:47 PM
Where does one find out about Eilistraeen drow?

Start by reading the goddess Eilistraee's entry in the Forgotten Realms "Faiths & Pantheons" book.

Then read the War of the Spider Queen series of novels. It's primarily about Lolth's spider-bitches, but Eilistraee plays a role.

Eilistraee is the daughter of Lolth (Aurauchnee) and Corellon Larethian. She's CG alligned and has the aim of redeeming her people and reuniting them with the Seldarine elves.

Brigham
2008-01-06, 06:53 PM
It makes me think of Bayaz from "The Blade Itself," if you've read it. Well composed, but prone to swift aggression when things go awry; big on minding propers and questions, yet very direct at times.

nerulean
2008-01-06, 07:19 PM
I agree with Carrot from Discworld being a good example of high charisma. Very broadly, you can play high charisma as nice to everyone, nasty to everyone, or indifferent to everyone. Carrot is the nice high charisma. He knows something about everyone and he really cares about those people. He's likeable, trustworthy and honest, and appears shockingly innocent and loveable even when he's manipulating people.

Nasty to everyone is the jerk that for some reason everyone wants to be friends with. The reason is high charisma. That's been described a lot above.

Indifferent to anyone is likely either a joker who will take a jibe at anyone but never intends to truly hurt someone, or a manipulator who will use people to achieve their ends without ever causing particular problems for the people used.

There are others, but it's a spectrum, and you'll really need your DM's complicity to make it work at all.