PDA

View Full Version : Worgs

Sightless
2008-01-05, 06:48 PM
I'm running a weekly goblinoid campaign and one of the players is a Worg. Seemed appropriate, and the group is rolling with it (it is a rather interesting idea) but this presents me with a problem... What should I do for loot for a non humanoid character? Any suggestions or a point to an appropriate book would be appreciated.

Gorbash
2008-01-05, 06:51 PM
Well, I'm sure he can wear leather harnesses, as for magical, bracers of armor, amulet of mighty fists...

Jack Zander
2008-01-05, 06:54 PM
Just give normal treasure. The party should divide it up so he gets less magic items, but more gold so he can buy custom magic items instead.

Xefas
2008-01-05, 06:55 PM
Well, the Worg can still wear barding (for the torso magic slot), with a covering of some kind (cloak slot), hind-leg greaves (boot slot), fore-leg greaves (bracer/gloves slot), and the jewelry (necklace, rings) slots should work as normal. You can see horses wearing helms as an extension of their barding, so it isn't unreasonable to assume goblins could make such for their mounts (to use the head magic slot).

Savage Species might have some more ideas...

Stephen_E
2008-01-05, 07:37 PM
There's a article on the wizards site which has a breakdown of magic item slots and hos they fit in on a non-humanoid.

I thinks it's in one of the articles on Animal Cpmpanions or the Wild Cohort feat.

Stephen

Stephen_E
2008-01-05, 07:50 PM
A non-magical item suggestion.

You might also allow the Worg to take Mulri-attack in the same fashion that Animal Companions get it. Namely that if they only have a single attack it gives them a 2nd attack at -5. No iterative attacks is probably the biggest problem with PCs that have to rely on natural attacks.

Out of curiosity what classes is he taking. I'd have thought Scout was most suitable, with possibly 1 lev of Barbarian.

Stephen

Stephen_E
2008-01-05, 08:18 PM
If he has a level in Ranger you could give him a Wand of Animal Growth. Note: This is a pretty munty item, so you may want to wait until the campaign reachs a suitable level.

You could also have a Mantle, Belt or Shirt equivalent (see DMG pg 288 for slot choices) which give Animal Growth for 10 rds a day as a free action, ala Boots of Speed but costed up for the increased level of the spell. Assuming that they'd be made by a Druid they should probably be valued at 36,000gp (Haste is 3rd*CL5=15, Animal Growth is 5th*CL9=45, so mutiply Boots of Speed by 3).

Some lower level item that would be loved, are Boots of Spider Climb (see Slippers Spider Climb) and Boots of the Zephr (see Horseshoes of Zephr). The article on items for non-humanoids consider Boot slots need only be worn on the rear feet, and coverings for the front feet fit the "Glove" slot. Both items have a reasonable chance of been "found" rather than requireing the PC get them custom made. Of course any enemy they find them on will be using them. Been attacked by Goblin ridong his mount of the ceiling or over a river or quicksand would make for a reasonably challenging encounter. :smallwink:

Stephen

EvilElitest
2008-01-05, 09:21 PM
Vow of poverty?
What, it isn't that bad for him
from
EE

Sightless
2008-01-05, 11:36 PM
Wow.... thanks everyone for your suggestions
EE: Does VoP work for evil characters?
Steph: Thanks so much for that article referral

Patashu
2008-01-05, 11:44 PM
Vow of eeeevil poverty?

Well, he'd have to give his revenue to a worthy cause. If he's evil he wouldn't do that, would he?

Xefas
2008-01-05, 11:49 PM

Not by the RAW it doesn't, since it's an Exalted feat, but as the DM, if you think it's feasible for an evil god to grant powers to those who impoverish themselves in the service of that god, then you could certainly houserule it.

Personally, I've used most of the "Exalted" vows as great villain tools for evil churches and the like. It just seems more evil to require your worshipers to give up earthly pleasures and commodities in order to gain power.

Not as much for the Vow of Peace/Nonviolence, but I *did* manage to use an evil version of an Apostle of Peace. They were essentially being tortured by their god, Erythnul, by being deprived of the slaughter they loved so much.

EvilElitest
2008-01-06, 12:19 AM

Well he could just be misguided. But not by RAW, however he could use it only if he was good
But you could just change that

Personally, I've used most of the "Exalted" vows as great villain tools for evil churches and the like. It just seems more evil to require your worshipers to give up earthly pleasures and commodities in order to gain power.

I just want to point this out, but it isn't required for these guys to take exalted vows. Its a choice
from
EE