PDA

View Full Version : On Magic Item Pricing...

UserClone
2008-01-05, 11:24 PM
How would you price a Longbow which granted its wielder a continuous arrow mind(SpComp) effect?

Xefas
2008-01-05, 11:32 PM
The default guidelines says 4000gp for the spell, plus 75 for the bow, plus 300 because all magical weapons must be masterwork first, plus 2000 because all magical weapons must be +1 before adding other abilities.

So 6,375gp for the +1 Arrow Mind Bow.

Feel free to wave the masterwork and/or +1 requirements, of course (my group does sometimes), but that's what the rules say.

AlterForm
2008-01-05, 11:48 PM
Just remember: Those guidelines are guidelines. Consider if the effect is worth the 4000 gp, or if it deserves a price bump or cut.

UserClone
2008-01-06, 12:03 AM
Do you think that it's worth a bump or cut?

Xefas
2008-01-06, 12:20 AM
Do you think that it's worth a bump or cut?

Look at it this way.

For this to be worth anything, it requires a person who uses weapons.
People who use weapons are generally not full spellcasters.
Will threatening adjacent squares make the weapon-user as powerful as a full spellcaster? No. Never.

Unless we're talking about a cleric-based archer, in which case he doesn't need any more help from custom magic items.

The price is fine where it is.

UserClone
2008-01-06, 12:23 AM
Ok, let's assume it's a Cleric. This gives him an advantage, in that he only needs one weapon for both melee and ranged attacks, and it comes from a spell whose effects he can't otherwise produce. Unbalanced?

Xefas
2008-01-06, 12:34 AM
Ok, let's assume it's a Cleric. This gives him an advantage, in that he only needs one weapon for both melee and ranged attacks, and it comes from a spell whose effects he can't otherwise produce. Unbalanced?

Well, I know that the prices of magic items aren't intended to be scaled depending upon the class using them, but I'd probably ramp up the cost anyway (which no one can really argue with, since it's already a custom item).

Not sure exactly by how much...I mean, we're now talking about a cleric that'll be a monster in melee as all the other ones are, but he'll also be slaughtering people at range before they even get to him. Tough call...