PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Weapons?

Lolth
2008-01-06, 12:23 AM
Hihi,

Looking for ranged (specifically throwing) weapons this time. The best balance of flavor and the following:

Damage (both dice and critical range/multiplier),
Range Increment,
Portability (as in, is it reasonable to tote a few of them? Bowling balls might make nice shot put, but carrying a bunch around is silly),
Feat requirement (Exotic or not)

Any suggestions? Right now, the leader in the clubhouse is the Halfling Skiprock.

Patashu
2008-01-06, 12:27 AM
Harpoons, javelins?

UserClone
2008-01-06, 12:37 AM
Orc Shotput. Yeah, I said it.

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-06, 12:58 AM
Chatkcha

Exotic weapon, 1d6 piercing, 18-20x2, 20' range increment, 3 lbs each.
To quote the XPH, "This exotic ranged weapon is a crystalline throwing wedge."

As for the fluff, unless WotC has changed the fluff since 2e and stashed it away somewhere in a book that I haven't read, dasl (crystal, specifically that made by combining sand, a certain herb, and thri-kreen venom) chatkcha are regarded in about the same fashion as the stereotypical dwarf regards his beard. For thri-kreen, at least.

de-trick
2008-01-06, 02:37 AM
throwing axes, daggers, throw anything feat with your melee weapon

Yami
2008-01-06, 02:47 AM
Rocks! Go the half giant route, add a bit of enlarge person and abuse the damage by weigh and str tables!

mabriss lethe
2008-01-06, 02:47 AM
the spell "Whirling Blades" comes to mind.

make normal a melee attack roll against all targets in a 60 ft line with your highest BAB with a slashing weapon. Your feats and other nifties apply to it as well? It's weaseled it's way onto both the Hexblade and Spellthief spell lists? what's not to love?

Keld Denar
2008-01-06, 03:24 AM
Get some levels in Bloodstorm Blade from ToB and start chucking greatswords. While your at it, apply Power Attack....

Heck, since BB blurs the line between melee and ranged, use a large race and apply the knockback feat to your tossed greatswords to bounce people around the room.

Feralgeist
2008-01-06, 08:10 AM
bolas/spiked bolas are pretty cool. they also let you make ranged trip attacks. quite portable too, as you can carry a fair few on your belt. works well when there's a melee person to finish them while they're prone

daggaz
2008-01-06, 09:23 AM
Oooh, bolas would be cool.

Ne0
2008-01-06, 09:30 AM
Both Exotic weapons:

A Harpoon, 1d10+Str damage; 30 ft. range; piercing, with a whole set of extra things if it hits - halved movement, no run or charge, the wielder can stop the target with an opposed str check, can only be removed with 2 hands and a Full action; deals another 1d10+Str when removed.
It's basically a javelin with a rope attached, so it's got some flavor possibilities.

Skipping stone+War Sling: 1d8+Str; 50 ft., Bludgeoning, 20/x4, if it hits, the stone ricochets and attacks another target at -2. Great flavor with a halfling.

Or a Xendrik Boomerang. Nothing too fancy damage-wise, but it returns after a miss - you have to make another roll to catch it, but I tend to leave that out, especially if you take the proficiency feat.

icthius
2008-01-06, 09:38 AM
Or a Xendrik Boomerang. Nothing too fancy damage-wise, but it returns after a miss - you have to make another roll to catch it, but I tend to leave that out, especially if you take the proficiency feat.

Yes, this.

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-06, 10:15 AM
Flavour? Make a shield with the Throwing ability (The specific name for throwing shield abilities is in some book... Which i forgot... Damn ><)

Otherwise... Sand Blasters (See Sand Giants)

Kimi11
2008-01-06, 12:03 PM
Rocks! Go the half giant route, add a bit of enlarge person and abuse the damage by weigh and str tables!

Where can I find this table? A quick Google didn't give anything.

Signmaker
2008-01-06, 12:35 PM
Dagger, but mainly due to its prestige class versatility

Dagger opens up pretty options like Invisible Blade, which when coupled with Master Thrower, allows feints from basically anywhere.