PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Shield Fighter?

Moogle0119
2008-01-06, 04:08 AM
Hi there. I was hoping to get some advice on how to create a well built Fighter based around fighting with an oversized shield (using it in two hands). I remember seeing a thread around here a long time ago about it but it seems to have drifted off the boards since then. The game is starting in a few weeks and we're starting off at 32-point buy at 9th level. All WoTC books are being allowed except for ToB (Tome of Battle).

Here's my preliminary build so far...

Str: 17 (19 after 2 bonus points from level up)
Dex: 12
Con: 16
Int: 13
Wis: 8
Cha: 8

1st level: Improved Shield Bash
Fighter 1: Shield Specialization (heavy)
Fighter 2: Shield Ward
3rd level: Endurance
Fighter 4: Steadfast Determination
6th level: Shield Slam
Fighter 6: Shield Charge
Fighter 8: Power Attack
9th level: Shield Sling

As far as equipment goes I know for sure I'm going to have shield spikes to up the damage of the shield as well as having Bashing put onto my shield for even more damage but would the enchantment help out my to hit/damage or my AC instead?

Can anyone give me a hand with this? Thanks.

Chronicled
2008-01-06, 04:12 AM
I'd suggest taking a look at the PHB2 tactical feat Blood-Spiked Charger.

Darkantra
2008-01-06, 05:03 AM
With shields you have to have two separate sets of enchantments, one for defense and one for offense. Both count towards the maximum enchantment that the shield can have. So you can have a +1 to AC and a +1 to damage enchantment put on a shield but it costs a +2 modifier overall.

Kristoss
2008-01-06, 05:20 AM
With shields you have to have two separate sets of enchantments, one for defense and one for offense. Both count towards the maximum enchantment that the shield can have. So you can have a +1 to AC and a +1 to damage enchantment put on a shield but it costs a +2 modifier overall.

No not quite right. The costs stack but not the market modifier.
For example a +1 buckler with +1 spikes would cost 3,475 gp (15 gp buckler + 150 mw cost + 1000 magic shield + 10 gp shield spikes + 300 mw cost + 2000 magic weapon).

See here Under the shields heading of this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm)

Please double check the accuracy of your information before posting thankyou.

Kizara
2008-01-06, 07:16 AM
Don't forget your 1st-level human feat.

Moogle0119
2008-01-06, 01:41 PM
Awesome I knew I was forgetting something with the feats and Blood-Spiked Charger will let me Power Attack with the shield like a normal 2-handed weapon (otherwise if I'm reading the rules correctly I can only bash with it like it's a one-handed weapon).

As far as the damage goes the best route I see so far is to get a Large-sized Heavy Spiked Shield which should deal 1d8 for damage (according to Monster Manual page 291 and Dungeon Master's Guide page 28). Bashing increases the damage of the shield as if it were two sizes larger so the damage should increase from 1d8 to 2d6 to 3d6. Since I'm wielding a weapon larger than normal I will have to take a -2 on all attack rolls but if I have the Blood-Spiked Charger feat, that means I already have Weapon Focus (spiked shield) and it negates half of that penalty already. If I drink a potion of Enlarge Person my damage will again jump from 3d6 to 4d6. Anything else I'm missing or should add to this build? Also is there any other good enchantments I may be missing that I could add to my shield that are from a book that I might not have?

MorkaisChosen
2008-01-06, 02:18 PM
If you're willing to go outside pure Fighter, a couple of levels of Knight give Shield Block (basically the same as Dodge). Not sure how good that is, just throwing it out there.