PDA

View Full Version : Powers Known (Psy Warrior)

TheMeanDM
2008-01-06, 09:36 AM
When it says you know 7 Powers....

Is that 7 powers per level you have access to (so 7 1st level, 7 2nd, 7 3rd)

Or...

Is that 7 powers split between the 3 levels (which would utterly suck).

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-06, 09:38 AM
Latter, I'm afraid :smallfrown:.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-06, 09:41 AM
Cripes...

Do they get any benefits (besides more power points) for high ability scores?

And can anyone recommend some Psychic Warrior powers (7 known, 3rd level max)?

I currently have chosen:

Deaden Blow
Precognition Defense
Body Adjustment
Dissolving Weapon
Power Weapon
Keen Edge, Psionic
Vampiric Weapon

My Dwarven Psy Warrior is wielding a Deep Crystal Dwarven Waraxe.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-06, 09:47 AM
Expansion is always good; claws can be stacked for much nastiness (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=227556), and a simple psychic reformation can reset them for you.

Saph
2008-01-06, 09:48 AM
Cripes...

Do they get any benefits (besides more power points) for high ability scores?

Nope, and I'm afraid it's even worse than you think it is. You get seven powers level by level, not seven powers chosen together. And you can only get 3rd-level powers at Psy Warrior level 7.

So that means you can get a max of 1 third-level power, 3 second-level powers, and 3 first-level powers.

- Saph

TheMeanDM
2008-01-06, 09:57 AM
Nope, and I'm afraid it's even worse than you think it is. You get seven powers level by level, not seven powers chosen together. And you can only get 3rd-level powers at Psy Warrior level 7.

So that means you can get a max of 1 third-level power, 3 second-level powers, and 3 first-level powers.

- Saph

Where does it say that? (not that I don't believe you, I just haven't played a psionic character before)

TheMeanDM
2008-01-06, 10:03 AM
Are you maybe looking at the chart that says max level known?

Saph
2008-01-06, 10:04 AM
Where does it say that? (not that I don't believe you, I just haven't played a psionic character before)

Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm) (The psychic warrior table.)

You get one power per level. At levels 1-3 your max power level is 1; at levels 4-6 your max power level is 2.

So, assuming you always pick the strongest powers you can get (sensible), your progression goes:

Level 1: One first-level power
Level 2: Two first-level powers
Level 3: Three first-level powers
Level 4: Three first-level powers, one second-level power
Level 5: Three first-level powers, two second-level powers
Level 6: Three first-level powers, three second-level powers
Level 7: Three first-level powers, three second-level powers, one third-level power

And you can't swap out powers the way a sorcerer can.

Psychic Warriors are tough to build . . .

- Saph

Ponce
2008-01-06, 10:10 AM
Is it really that bad? Most of the low level ones can be augmented into much better powers.

Ryuuk
2008-01-06, 10:14 AM
I usually end up getting some 1st level powers rather then 2nd. Hustle and Psionic's Lion Charge are great, but when they have to compete against Vigor, Expansion, Claws of the Beast, Bite of the Wolf, Metaphysical Weapon, etc, you have to make some hard choices.

Also, if you really want a power you can use the Expanded Knowledge, you just need to use it at a high enough level.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-06, 10:17 AM
Hmmm...

Well then.

I'm thinking dropping the Keen Edge, then...and picking up Expansion.

A base dwarven waraxe is 1d10, large would be 2d8...plus, being deep crystal, that'd be a total of 2d6+2d8 (and it's screaming) for another +1d6.

That's a lot of damage....and then it'd be +6 for strength, and +1 for the enchantment.

Hmm...assuming both hit

2d6+2d8+1d6+7=31, 2d6+2d8+1d6+7=31 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1452802/)

And that's without using the Psionic Weapon feat....which should stack another 2d6, right?

Ryuuk
2008-01-06, 10:22 AM
It looks good, you'd be spending at least 3 pp as well as your Psionic Focus though, so it would be best to do that sparingly.

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-06, 10:29 AM

- Saph

One thing to keep in mind (Which counts for Psions more than PsWars I suppose...) Is that lower level powers are a LOT better than lower level spells in general... Why? Augment. Most powers can be augmented in such a way they keep useful. So if you pick the right powers, you can actually have MORE useful stuff than Wizards... (For Example Energy Ball pretty much stays useful, while Fireball isnt THAT useful after level 10)

Ryuuk
2008-01-06, 10:38 AM
Augmenting is awesome, but when you do it to a low level power, they aren't low level any more. Boosting that Energy ball to deal 17d6 damage at level 17 would be the equivalent of using a 9th level spell, resource wise.

It's useful when it's a chain of spells though. Instead of Dominate Person and Dominate Monster, you just get Dominate, augmented to affect different types. Instead of Magic Weapon, and Greater Magic Weapon, you just use Metaphysical Weapon. Instead of learning the entire Summon Monster line, you just use Astral Construct.

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-06, 10:49 AM
Augmenting is awesome, but when you do it to a low level power, they aren't low level any more. Boosting that Energy ball to deal 17d6 damage at level 17 would be the equivalent of using a 9th level spell, resource wise.

It's useful when it's a chain of spells though. Instead of Dominate Person and Dominate Monster, you just get Dominate, augmented to affect different types. Instead of Magic Weapon, and Greater Magic Weapon, you just use Metaphysical Weapon. Instead of learning the entire Summon Monster line, you just use Astral Construct.

What I meant was, while it SEEMS they get few powers per level, especially when compared to spellcasters, a lot of the lower powers kan be augmenting so they rival normal higher level ones... If you do it right... So can make ALL powers the equivalent of lvl 9 ones... Well more or less...