PDA

View Full Version : ToB Question

DruchiiConversion
2008-01-06, 09:58 AM
I had a quick question about ToB.

Many of the strikes have a duration of one attack. If you have multiple attacks in your full-attack, can you make multiple strikes in a round?

Thanks in advance.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-01-06, 10:01 AM
Not usually. Maneuvers have initiation times, which are usually anywhere from a move action to a taking up the full round. If it says 1 attack, that's all you get.

DruchiiConversion
2008-01-06, 10:17 AM
Okay.
Thanks for a speedy resolution. :) Don't have the book onhand at the moment, and a few people are asking me that.

Douglas
2008-01-06, 12:44 PM
A maneuver's initiation time, aka action required to use, is not "one attack". Most of them are a standard action, which is not at all compatible with a full attack unless you are somehow capable of taking both a standard action and a full round action in the same round.

On a side note, there are exactly three maneuvers that use a full attack (Flashing Sun, Pouncing Charge, and Time Stands Still), and in each case the full attack is part of the effect - the cost is a full round action.

RukiTanuki
2008-01-07, 04:33 PM
I get this question from players quite a bit, and not just regarding Tome of Battle.

There are several special attacks and feats written in the format "as a standard action (or full action), perform this attack." You can't combine those with a full iterative attack, since that action is "spend a full action and get all your attacks."

So, to provide core examples, you can Stunning Fist during a full attack action (since it doesn't expend actions) but you can't Manyshot during a full attack action (since it says "as a standard action...")

Hope that helps.

Arbitrarity
2008-01-07, 04:43 PM
I recall some horrible build someone made involving combining manyshot, rapid shot, and the special shot function from Order of the Bow Initiate. Eventually, I managed to persude them that none of those worked together.