PDA

View Full Version : Spending that last bit o' gold.

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 10:11 AM
Hello! For a campaign I'm doing soon I'm in the process of making a level 20human Cleric/Wizard/Mystic Theurge, the powermad "I AM BETTER THAN THE GODS" type bloke.

Anyway, I'm using the standard amount for a level 20 character out of DM's guide, and it's suprising how quickly all that moolah burnt up, buying Int and Wis boosting items, robe of the archmagi, rings of protection, ect.

Now I'm down to my last 9,500 glittering gold pieces, and I'm a little stuck on what to buy, I was considering boots of levitation, so I can float in midair with magical energy buzzing around me, but I'm just unsure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kizara
2008-01-06, 10:12 AM
Do you have access to the magic item compendium?

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 10:13 AM
Do you have access to the magic item compendium?

Sorry, should have mentioned my books. I've got complete scoundrel, complete champion, the core books and anything I can get off the net.

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-06, 10:21 AM
Buy Cheap magic items that completely fill up all your Magiv Item slots... And use the rest on no weight stuff... 10000 Fishing Hooks, still no weight!!!!

FinalJustice
2008-01-06, 10:46 AM
Beads of Karma. +4 on CL for one hour, assuming you've got Practiced Spellcaster for your Cleric side, you can do some Holy Word/Chain Dispel abuse.

Belkarseviltwin
2008-01-06, 10:55 AM
Can you post which slots your character still has available? There's no point buying say a Hat of Disguise if you're already wearing a Headband of Intellect! From your description you seem to have your head (Int-boost), neck (Wis-boost), Body (Robe) and both Ring slots filled. Bracers of Armour should be obvious if you don't already have them, as should some extradimensional storage

In addition, I'd suggest some either non-combat or single-use items. As a Theurge you'll have bags of low-level spell slots, so items which duplicate utility spells (like a Bottle of Air) are of little use. Healing is also not so good. Items that help your casting are.

Some slotless Wondrous Item suggestions:
Candle of Invocation
Quiver of Ehlonna (if you use wands)
Incense of Meditation
a bunch of Quaal's Feather Tokens

Also, a big sack of Potions is never a bad thing...

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 11:05 AM
Hirelings.

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your help, everyone, I've spent 4900gp on a block of incense of meditiation, 4000gp on bracers of armour +2 (armour class 30, woohoo) and I'll use the last 600 as walking around money and I'll buy an ogre commoner to carry my stuff.

Ta.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your help, everyone, I've spent 4900gp on a block of incense of meditiation, 4000gp on bracers of armour +2 (armour class 30, woohoo) and I'll use the last 600 as walking around money and I'll buy an ogre commoner to carry my stuff.

Ta.

Just curious, where's that 30 AC coming from?

SilentNight
2008-01-06, 12:04 PM

Ta.
Instead of bracers of armour buy a custom ring that casts shieldat will.
At CL1 it's 2,000gp for a +4 shield bonus. Also consider a monks belt. As a cleric you will have a very high wis. Monks' belt lets you apply all that wisdom to your AC if you're not wearing armour. Also you can fight unarmed

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 12:05 PM
Just curious, where's that 30 AC coming from?

10 + 3 (dex) +5 (robe of the archmagi) + 5 (ring of protection) + 5 (ring of protection) + 2 (bracers of armour)

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 12:10 PM
Instead of bracers of armour buy a custom ring that casts shieldat will.
At CL1 it's 2,000gp for a +4 shield bonus. Also consider a monks belt. As a cleric you will have a very high wis. Monks' belt lets you apply all that wisdom to your AC if you're not wearing armour. Also you can fight unarmed

So if I toss the ring of protection +5, and get a monks belt, I'll be able to add my wisdom bonus (+12) instead of the +5 i get from the ring, and It will cost me 37,000 less?

Thank ye, kind stranger.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 12:18 PM
10 + 3 (dex) +5 (robe of the archmagi) + 5 (ring of protection) + 5 (ring of protection) + 2 (bracers of armour)

Aha... while it's ultimately up to the DM of your game, I feel that I must point out that the bonuses you have listed will not add up as you hope by the RAW.

10+
+3 dexterity bonus
+5 armor bonus (robe of the archmagi)
+2 armor bonus (bracers of armor)
+5 deflection bonus (ring of protection)
+5 deflection bonus (ring of protection)
-----
23 Armor Class total

Bonuses of the same type (with the exception of dodge bonuses) don't stack. So your bracers of armor are essentially useless, as is the second ring of protection. You could get your hands on some gloves of dexterity +6 for an extra +3 AC from dexterity, and a heavy mithral shield +2 (for a total of +4 shield bonus) to put you back up to 30 AC. With the shield you would have a 5% arcane spell failure, but that's not too bad. Alternatively, you could just cast shield for a +4 shield bonus.

Ryuuk
2008-01-06, 12:20 PM
2 Rings of Protection wouldn't stack, since they grant the same kind of bonus to AC. I'm not sure what kind of bonus the robe grants, but if it's an Armor bonus it wouldn't stack with the Bracers either.

Edit: Ninja'd

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 12:28 PM
Bonuses of the same type (with the exception of dodge bonuses) don't stack. So your bracers of armor are essentially useless, as is the second ring of protection. You could get your hands on some gloves of dexterity +6 for an extra +3 AC from dexterity, and a heavy mithral shield +2 (for a total of +4 shield bonus) to put you back up to 30 AC. With the shield you would have a 5% arcane spell failure, but that's not too bad. Alternatively, you could just cast shield for a +4 shield bonus.

Hm, well I just got rid of one ring to make the cash for monks belt, which actually gives me more of a bonus to AC due to high wisdom, and guess I'll have to sell the bracers then too.

Ah well, guess I'll have a little more spending to do.

nonsens
2008-01-06, 12:29 PM
make every single trinket you have masterwork (+50 gp) for a lot of mundane boosts

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 12:34 PM
Hm, well I just got rid of one ring to make the cash for monks belt, which actually gives me more of a bonus to AC due to high wisdom, and guess I'll have to sell the bracers then too.

Ah well, guess I'll have a little more spending to do.

Don't forget natural armor! (I prefer amulets of health, but I thought I'd mention it.)

While we're on the subject of stacking bonuses, your attributes may not add up if they're all enhancement bonuses. I believe the largest enhancements go up to +6, and inherent bonuses (as from manuals and wishes) go up to +5, for a maximum of +11 to any attribute after base score +racial modifiers +level increases. This would mean that assuming a race with no LA, a level 20 can have a total score of 38 (Base roll of 18, +4 racial, +5 level, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement). Move out of core and you can get crazy if you really try with profane/sacred bonuses, etc. Of course, not many things without LA get a +4 racial bonus. But I digress...

I'm only being so adamant about this because of the sour taste in my mouth after I learned the hard way.

There's a pretty lil set of things called Ioun Stones. Some are pretty fluffiful for your needs (+1 Insight Bonus to AC, not needing to eat or drink, etc.)

Orange ioun stones add an unnamed +1 bonus to your caster level, which means they stack. They cost 30,000 gold though.

Signmaker
2008-01-06, 12:37 PM
There's a pretty lil set of things called Ioun Stones. Some are pretty fluffiful for your needs (+1 Insight Bonus to AC, not needing to eat or drink, etc.)

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 12:40 PM
Don't forget natural armor! (I prefer amulets of health, but I thought I'd mention it.)

While we're on the subject of stacking bonuses, your attributes may not add up if they're all enhancement bonuses. I believe the largest enhancements go up to +6, and inherent bonuses (as from manuals and wishes) go up to +5, for a maximum of +11 to any attribute after base score +racial modifiers +level increases. This would mean that assuming a race with no LA, a level 20 can have a total score of 38 (Base roll of 18, +4 racial, +5 level, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement). Move out of core and you can get crazy if you really try with profane/sacred bonuses, etc. Of course, not many things without LA get a +4 racial bonus. But I digress...

I'm only being so adamant about this because of the sour taste in my mouth after I learned the hard way...

Ah, that's fine then, I'm playing a human (having boosted my wis with tome of understanding and wearing periapt of wisdom) and my score is 35.

I was considering ioun stones, but was unsure if they counted as head items and therefore incompatable with my headband of intellect.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 12:41 PM
I was considering ioun stones, but was unsure if they counted as head items and therefore incompatable with my headband of intellect.

Ioun stones do not take up any slots.

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 12:43 PM
Ioun stones do not take up any slots.

I assume you can have as many as you want floating about your head as in the picture the bald bloke has about 5 or 6?

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 12:49 PM
I assume you can have as many as you want floating about your head as in the picture the bald bloke has about 5 or 6?

Yessir. Of course, you get enough of them and people may notice. They're not too hard to yank off your head. I'm a big fan of casting an invisibility spell followed by a permanency on my ioun stones. Out of sight, out of mind.

Lolzords
2008-01-06, 12:53 PM
Yessir. Of course, you get enough of them and people may notice. They're not too hard to yank off your head. I'm a big fan of casting an invisibility spell followed by a permanency on my ioun stones. Out of sight, out of mind.

Now I know for the future, thanks for your help.

bugsysservant
2008-01-06, 12:54 PM
This would mean that assuming a race with no LA, a level 20 can have a total score of 38 (Base roll of 18, +4 racial, +5 level, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement). Move out of core and you can get crazy if you really try with profane/sacred bonuses, etc. Of course, not many things without LA get a +4 racial bonus. But I digress...

Actually, you can get it three points (mental attributes only) higher through age category. But I know many DMs don't allow that to prevent abuse. Not to mention a few classes, such as war hulk, which boost your scores, as do many racial sub levels. [/nitpick]

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 01:22 PM
Actually, you can get it three points (mental attributes only) higher through age category. But I know many DMs don't allow that to prevent abuse. Not to mention a few classes, such as war hulk, which boost your scores, as do many racial sub levels. [/nitpick]

Hence my mentioning 'move out of core and you can get crazy'... I was trying to keep it in the realm of typical play and kept my comment related to core simply so I didn't have to post the huge list of differently-named bonuses. While I will admit that I skipped the age modifiers, it was for the reason that the only core race (MM is core!) that has a +4 racial modifier to an ability score without a level adjustment or racial HD is the orc. Our lovable cannon fodder has a +4 racial modifer to strength. As you mentioned, aging is only beneficial to the mental attributes.

Have at you!

nargbop
2008-01-06, 03:38 PM
Ioun stones : my DMs have always ruled that you can only get 1 of each type floating around your head. You only have 9 500 left so you won't be buying many, but there you are.
Ioun stones can be knocked out of the air (AC 23 I think), and they fall to the ground in an antimagic field (remember to pick them up, unless your DM does not nitpick.\\

Jack_Simth
2008-01-06, 04:47 PM
Hello! For a campaign I'm doing soon I'm in the process of making a level 20human Cleric/Wizard/Mystic Theurge, the powermad "I AM BETTER THAN THE GODS" type bloke.

Anyway, I'm using the standard amount for a level 20 character out of DM's guide, and it's suprising how quickly all that moolah burnt up, buying Int and Wis boosting items, robe of the archmagi, rings of protection, ect.

Now I'm down to my last 9,500 glittering gold pieces, and I'm a little stuck on what to buy, I was considering boots of levitation, so I can float in midair with magical energy buzzing around me, but I'm just unsure.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you're wanting to do the "I AM BETTER THAN THE GODS" type bloke, you'll probably want an Ur-Priest (Complete Divine) rather than a Cleric. See, they steal spells, rather than pray for them. Easy entry is Wiz-5/Mindbender-1/Ur-Priest-2/Mystic Theurge-8/Full Progression PRC-y - 18th level Wizard casting, 9th level Divine spells.

But if you're just after equipment suggestions... please, post a full build (including stats and equipment). If nothing else, you can always buy scrolls to scribe into your spellbook for the Wizard side.

bugsysservant
2008-01-06, 04:54 PM
If you're wanting to do the "I AM BETTER THAN THE GODS" type bloke, you'll probably want an Ur-Priest (Complete Divine) rather than a Cleric. See, they steal spells, rather than pray for them. Easy entry is Wiz-5/Mindbender-1/Ur-Priest-2/Mystic Theurge-8/Full Progression PRC-y - 18th level Wizard casting, 9th level Divine spells.

*SLAP!* Seriously, Ur-Priest is the most broken class in the game, granting 9th level spells by 14th level or so. Adding it to a theurge class is one of the most cheesy moves in the game, and unless your group is loaded with Incatrices and IotSV's you will crush any reasonable encounter singlehandedly. Think hard before upping the power level that much. (plus Ur-Priests are evil, so your DM must be flexible about alignment to allow entry)

Jack_Simth
2008-01-06, 05:05 PM
*SLAP!* Seriously, Ur-Priest is the most broken class in the game, granting 9th level spells by 14th level or so. Adding it to a theurge class is one of the most cheesy moves in the game, and unless your group is loaded with Incatrices and IotSV's you will crush any reasonable encounter singlehandedly. Think hard before upping the power level that much. (plus Ur-Priests are evil, so your DM must be flexible about alignment to allow entry)
True. Broken as all get out. It does, however, fit the flavor.

15th, with the listed build and a +9 Wis bonus. But then, he's starting at 20th, and is going to have 9th level spells anyway.

If you'd like, try out the Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) for similar flavor - if you're better than the gods, you shouldn't be relying on them for power.