PDA

View Full Version : The Cloverfield Monster [Monster Making Help!]

Korias
2008-01-06, 01:09 PM
In my time of intense boredom, I got thinking- what can I use in my RL Games? The group I play with is toying around with the idea of doing some horror gaming, so we thought that we should do something with what we know about I am Legend and Cloverfield. With this in mind, we went to work.

The only problem, is, we can't decide how to portray a critter like the Cloverfield Monster effectively. We came up with the idea of adding a ton of templates on a whale ( based off what we got from This Picture. (http://dougbot.com/forum/slushoRar.jpg)), but it didnt seem all to much scary for us. So, what are your suggestions on creating this behemoth?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-06, 01:16 PM
Now that is a cool picture. I'll have to wait to see Cloverfield and get an idea of its abilities before I make the attempt.

YPU
2008-01-06, 01:27 PM
The general opinion seems to be that that isn’t the real monster, but who knows perhaps its just part of the stunt? It’s a very cool creature in any case, so please do build something nice!

Korias
2008-01-06, 02:35 PM
We have a basic understanding of its abilities, as seen from the trailer. Its going to have high STR and CON, but low DEX. Judging by what I've seen, its probably going to have Low CHA As well. Its WIS Will be above average, but Int will be average. The Reasons? If it an pick up large chunks of building and throw them, plus its Size modifier, its going to be pretty big. CON Will be high, as it can withstand some pretty big explosions (as seen from the trailer) However, soemthing that big and lumbering isn't going to have that big of a Dex score. It probably going to have a low CHA, but I dont really see it having any need for Diplomacy. Wisdom will come from the fact that it needs a high will save- We dont want the wizard taking it down with Dominate Monster. Average intelligence- Its going to be smart enough to follow the large crowds of people to eat them.

As far as abilities go, perhaps Frightful Presence would work.

Also, size will be within the range of "Colossal" or "Gargantuan",

Also, do we make it a Magical Beast, or perhaps something more along the lines of an animal (With animal intelligence?), which might give it more wisdom as an instinct based creature.

Magnor Criol
2008-01-06, 02:43 PM
It's got to have at least a 9 or 10 in intelligence, I think; I agree that it doesn't need to be anything phenomenal, but it has to be smart enough to, for instance, see the Statue of Liberty and recognize what part represents her head, and that tearing it from her body would have a good fear-inducing effect.

If you give it any intelligence over 2, it can't be an animal. With what you're suggesting, I'd think a magical beast. They can still be pretty primitive in cognitive areas, but they're also able to be smarter than 2. Plus, with a frightful presence ability, it's got some magic mojo goin' on.

I'd definitely go with Colossal size. It's supposed to be "as big as a scyscraper" (though that picture makes it look decidedly bigger than one) which is one of the listed examples of what colossal is.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-06, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure that giving it a size and stats is really helpful - you've never really going to encounter the whole thing, and it's at least as big as many towns you encounter.

Could you stat up individual bits of it - they would be colossal in size?

Korias
2008-01-06, 03:15 PM
So, were looking at a Colossal Magical Beast.

Heres a total Stat Block of what we have so far.

The Cloverfield Creature
Colossal Magical Beast
HD: Xd10+5
Initiative+4 (Improved Initiative)
Speed 60 Ft (12 Squares)
AC10-8+5 (Size+Natural Armor)
Attacks
Damage
Face/Reach
Special Attacks Frightful Presence
Special Qualities Darkvision 60Ft
SavesFort and Reflex Good, Will Bad
Abilities Str+8, Dex~10, Con+4, Int ~9, Wis ~13, Cha~6
Skills +1 Per HD
Feats Improved Initiative
----------------------------------
Climate/Terrain Any Aquatic or Costal Land
Organization Always Solitary
Challenge Rating
Treasure
Alignment
Advancement

So- Where do we go from here? I suppose we should figure out the HD of it first, then we can figure out the skills.

Considering that it can survive massive explosions, I'd put it around 25-30 HD.
Also, Perhaps some sort of special ability to cover the fact that there have been rumors of it infecting people and having Mini-versions of it ripping its way out of a person's chest (Thats the thing in the top right of the picture, next to the guy). Perhaps some DR and SR As well- Its big and bulky, so it would have a huge amount of tough skin that would prevent a soldier's sword from penetrating deeper than a few feet.

Edit
@ Illiterate Scribe: Perhaps, but from the trailers, it can be seen moving through the city. Since Newyork is considered a Metropolis by all standards, and the adventures going to be taking place in an Urban environment, its likely that they won't take on the entire thing. However, If the players gather a small army (which has happened before, in a similar epidemic of a random wight-making virus.) and take it on, it will be neccessary to have a full creature to fight.

Somebloke
2008-01-06, 04:45 PM
In my time of intense boredom, I got thinking- what can I use in my RL Games? The group I play with is toying around with the idea of doing some horror gaming, so we thought that we should do something with what we know about I am Legend and Cloverfield. With this in mind, we went to work.

The only problem, is, we can't decide how to portray a critter like the Cloverfield Monster effectively. We came up with the idea of adding a ton of templates on a whale ( based off what we got from This Picture. (http://dougbot.com/forum/slushoRar.jpg)), but it didnt seem all to much scary for us. So, what are your suggestions on creating this behemoth?
Two thoughts:

1) Just modify the Tarresque to grant it whatever abilities you think are appropriate for the campaign. Maybe use some sort of abberation as a template for the little (!) critters it drops off.

2) Some old dragon magazine had a 'godzilla' template that allowed you to transform normal monsters into ultra-huge creatures. And no, I am not sure which one.

At any rate, I personally think that it would be very, very unlikely that your players will be fighting it before the very high levels, so take your time...I would also suggest playing Final Fantasy X (or at least watching the cutscenes on youtube...heh) as the game revolves around a very similar sort of creature. Good for ideas.

Korias
2008-01-06, 04:56 PM
Two thoughts:

1) Just modify the Tarresque to grant it whatever abilities you think are appropriate for the campaign. Maybe use some sort of abberation as a template for the little (!) critters it drops off.

2) Some old dragon magazine had a 'godzilla' template that allowed you to transform normal monsters into ultra-huge creatures. And no, I am not sure which one.

At any rate, I personally think that it would be very, very unlikely that your players will be fighting it before the very high levels, so take your time...I would also suggest playing Final Fantasy X (or at least watching the cutscenes on youtube...heh) as the game revolves around a very similar sort of creature. Good for ideas.

High level campaigns are what we usualy do anyway- Hence our need for bigger and better baddies. Usualy, we have a party of 5-6 15 ECL Characters in a party.

As for FFX, The Monster-Sin comparison has been in my head, and I have a friend playing through it- he should be able to help out.

Edit- After doing a bit of research, I feel that the following abilities might be applicable

Swimspeed and Water Breathing Its evident that the creature came from the water- The thread Cloverfield Monster in Media Discussion is assured that it came from a Deep Sea Drilling station.

Swallow Whole Judging by the picture, its safe to say that it can pick you up and eat you whole.

Trample As everything is most likely going to be medium-sized. When the group gets that small army going, its likely to just run the army over with its bulk instead of fighting. Besides, it appears to be trampling New York just fine in the trailers.

Immunity to Cold Damage Its been sleeping at the botom of the sea, which is at incredibly cold temperatures.
Immunity to Pressure Being under a few miles of water would crush something, but not this. It must be able to withstand huge amounts of pressure.

Monster of Legend While a template, its abilities and bonuses could make sense, depending on the abilities shown in the movie. Of those presented, Acid Blood and Greater Damage show to be fairly deadly and useful, an keeping with the creature-that-you-should-really-be-running-from theme.

Poison If you manage to survive getting bit by the Cloverfield Creature, theres got to be some sort of bacteria thats going to be annoyng. it was also said that theres an infection element, as one of the trailers showed people getting taken away by people in Hazmat suits.

Natural Armor Question is, how much?

Class Levels If I wanted to be really evil...

SurlySeraph
2008-01-06, 06:10 PM
Someone has already done most of the work for you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66410&highlight=Werewhale)

@V: It's the size category above Colossal. Then there's Colossal++, Colossal+++, etc. They aren't used much.

Korias
2008-01-06, 06:15 PM
Still- thats a template. While it will be handy reference, its still a Lycanthrope. But Colossal+? Never heard of that...

FlyMolo
2008-01-06, 06:20 PM
This is bigger than colossal, I think.

Even the "tiny" lice on it are large, at least. You could even have an entire session where you fight the things on top of it. Just run around on top of the monster, fighting it's tiny spawn.

Korias
2008-01-06, 06:25 PM
@V: It's the size category above Colossal. Then there's Colossal++, Colossal+++, etc. They aren't used much.

Are they OGL? If so, bumping the size up might be necessary.
@FlyMolo- Thats a good idea... But those lice are going to need stating, so lets knockdown one domino at a time.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-06, 09:01 PM
Are they OGL? If so, bumping the size up might be necessary.
@FlyMolo- Thats a good idea... But those lice are going to need stating, so lets knockdown one domino at a time.

I think they already have stats.

That Damn Crab.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-06, 09:14 PM
He has a very good point. TDC can work very well for those buggers. How big is TDC again? Large?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-06, 09:33 PM
He has a very good point. TDC can work very well for those buggers. How big is TDC again? Large?

Too big. But no, they'll be fine. Could possibly replace their swim speed with a climb one, and make the Monster a viable climbing surface.

Korias
2008-01-06, 09:42 PM
Too big. But no, they'll be fine. Could possibly replace their swim speed with a climb one, and make the Monster a viable climbing surface.

Sounds interesting- But we can advance the crab into Large territory, correct?

Eita
2008-01-07, 12:08 AM
If you need help on a Sin-Monster comparison, I can help.

I watched my brother play through the game and then I did.

One of Sin's notable abilities that is quite like the Monster? It sheds tiny (relatively) creatures that you have to fight. Did I mention that they are about human sized?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-07, 08:15 PM
Well, we don't know if it actually sheds it in the movie. Some people claim they rip themselves from victims chests. But in the picture, the artist says they do, and since we're basing it on the picture...

Yah, basically Sin except no blasty shield, and more physical strength.

Korias
2008-01-07, 08:23 PM
Heres an ability that fits what might be part of the creature. This ability also requires the reformat of The TDC to use as the Parasite.

Carrier (Ex)
The Cloverfield Monster has a large number of "small" parasites that Crawl around on the creatures skin and occasionally fall off. At any given time, there are 5d100 such parasites on the Cloverfield Monster.

As a Move Equivilant Action, the Cloverfield Monster may shake off 10d4 such parasites. Each parasite lands directly adjacent to the Cloverfield Monster. If any creatures were in Melee with the Cloverfield Monster and are of three size catagories or below the Carrier, then they must make a reflex save DC 22Success means that the creatures in Melee with the Cloverfield Monster are pushed back 20Ft to avoid being striked upon by the Parasites.

Upon the next round, the Parasites will return to the Carrier. If the Carrier executes another Shake manuver, then the parasites remain on the ground. Parasites that surpass the number of directly adjacent squares fall in the nearest avaliable square.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-07, 08:38 PM
I say the should remain on the ground longer. I can't imagine them just jumping down, attacking, then jumping back up. It should stay at least 1d4+1 rounds.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-07, 08:47 PM
I say the should remain on the ground longer. I can't imagine them just jumping down, attacking, then jumping back up. It should stay at least 1d4+1 rounds.

They're massive ticks. You don't have enough blood in your body to satisify them. I'd think, since they're mindless and all, they're much more interested in getting back to their primarily food source.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-07, 09:13 PM
Eh, i still hold by.

Demented
2008-01-07, 10:50 PM
If they're anything like ticks, you shouldn't be able to shake 'em off for love or money. Though, you could rub your back up against the empire state building if you need to. On the other hand, if they're lice, you could shake a few out along with the dandruff. Then again, they really should be the size of lobsters...

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-07, 11:19 PM
If they're anything like ticks, you shouldn't be able to shake 'em off for love or money.

They're man-sized blood-engorged ticks. I'd think their blood-draining needler would pierce straight through a human torso.

Eita
2008-01-07, 11:48 PM
Well, we don't know if it actually sheds it in the movie. Some people claim they rip themselves from victims chests. But in the picture, the artist says they do, and since we're basing it on the picture...

Yah, basically Sin except no blasty shield, and more physical strength.

Didn't Sin sink Zanarkand by pushing the water forward?

Anyways, I demand that the Monster is given Giga-gravity!

Kellus
2008-01-09, 02:47 AM
Cool. My best effort would be a Half-Farspawn Zeuglodon (advanced to 45 HD) of Legend, using Lords of Madness, Frostburn, and the MMII. I'd stat it up, but I'm tired. :smalltongue: