PDA

View Full Version : Fighter crossbow builds.

toddex
2008-01-06, 02:35 PM
Could anyone point me to some?

I was thinking of doing it just for fun and a friend pointed out crossbow sniper to me so I guess that made it final for me. Going to be running in a low magic game where magic of all types is feared so I figured id make this guy a sort of magic user bounty hunter.

Find cover somewhere and wait for his targets then pick them off sort of thing. At first I thought ranger but then as I kept thinking about it the amount of feats id like to pick up pointed to to fighter heh.

Just Alex
2008-01-06, 04:25 PM
I don't have the exact build on me, but there was the "gunfighter" crossbow build. It was based around 2WF, quickdraw, either the reloading enchantment or an unseen servant loading crossbows, and wounding bolts.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-06, 04:31 PM
well for starters, rapid reload and point blank shot are musts for a crossbow wielder regardless of class.

honestly, for ambush style mage hunting, you'd get better milage out of a rogue than a fighter. If allowed as a playable character a Spellthief might make a good choice. Having to work around that whole double standard of hunting magic users while at the same time being one... Half casting probably wouldn't terribly break a low magic game and since the character would have to constantly worry about becoming the hunted himself, he'd have to be very careful in both spell selection and when/where he casts a spell.

Heck, you could snoop through some of the bloodlines in the SRD for a twist or two

Admiral Squish
2008-01-06, 04:32 PM
Goliath with a great crossbow. 3d8 damage, 18-20/x2 crit range. Tack on a crossbow knife from complete scoundrel, and you have a one-hit on most first-levels, reliable on third-level wizards, and can take down a sixth-level on a lucky roll, though reload time is a full-round action. Rapid reload makes that a standard action, though. Do it from the back of some big critter, and you've got quite the build, right there.

ealan
2008-01-06, 04:36 PM
here is a build, just the feats, for a human fighter

1 point blank
1 precise
1 weapon focus (crossbow of choice)
2 crossbow sniper-PH2 p77
3 rapid reload
4 Bowslinger-Und p 24
6 Able Sniper-RotW p 148
6 Woodland Archer-RotW p154

later taking penitrating shot, far shot, weapon spec

The PC went with a light crossbow, multiclassed into rogue and spread it all out over a total of 12 levels, I think 8 lvl fighter 4 rogue. I like it but I would start 2 lvls rogue then go 3 fighter then on from there so I would have the skills he had to crossclass some i believe.

Int -1
2008-01-06, 05:12 PM
David Gemell's Waylander :smallamused:

SurlySeraph
2008-01-06, 06:31 PM
If you have Crossbow Sniper, you'll probably want sneak attack or Skirmish damage. If you're going pure Fighter, you may want a crossbow with the Deadly Precision enhancement, which adds 2d6 Sneak Attack to your attacks. Note that if you're using a Light Crossbow and have Rapid Reload, you can benefit from Rapid Shot and Improved Rapid Shot.

Archangel Yuki
2008-01-06, 06:41 PM
David Gemell's Waylander :smallamused:

This wins. Period.

But seriously, try something that allows flavor to your magehunter. Take the magehunter feats, pierce magical protection/concealment. Help take those pesky wizards out :smallamused:
Maybe ranged feats, like raged pin, to help hold peoples still. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Person_Man
2008-01-06, 08:07 PM
For a non-magical build to be useful at mid to high level, it generally needs a method of adding scaled bonus damage. Power Attack, Sneak Attack, etc. There is no method I'm aware of for a Fighter to add scaled bonus damage to a ranged weapon. Even if you load up on TWF and the various crossbow feats, you'll still have a pitiful damage output.

Just Alex
2008-01-07, 12:06 AM
That's true, but if you take a fighter with Penatrating Shot and Wounding bolts, you'll generally match well in damage output.