PDA

View Full Version : Building a warmage - any tips?

Rolaran
2008-01-06, 03:46 PM
Hello!

First off, let's get this out of the way. I am playing a warmage. I am aware that there are stronger arcane casters out there. I am aware of tLN's guide to being Batman. I am aware that a wizard is omg better in every wai! No. This is a campaign where we have already built a round of optimized/twinked characters, played a while, decided we weren't having much fun, and initiated a voluntary near-total TPK. This round, interesting roleplaying trumps character twinkage, we need an arcane caster, I don't feel like agonizing over what spells to bring every day, and I feel like blowing **** up. So yes, I am playing a blaster warmage.

Sorry, wanted to get that out of my system beforehand.

So anyway, a halfling warmage, we start at 8th lvl. For the two Expanded Knowledge spells I'm looking at Bigby's Tripping Hand (tripping at range could be cool) and Ray of the Python (Reduces an opponent to one attack/round, I like it), both from PHB II. I chose these because I hear that Expanded Knowledge is a good place to pick up spells that do something other than direct damage, and I figure these will be good for incapacitating foes. As for feats, I was thinking Warmage Edge for +3 damage to all spells; what other feats are good?

Also, the DM is giving each of us standard WBL, 27,000 gp. The problem is, this particular DM has a a tendency to prefer that the players have next to no fancy resources to call on, and never misses a chance to steal or destroy our cool stuff (everything from invisible pickpockets nicking the party's strongest weapon to an explosive runes spell apparently being powerful enough to obliterate a backpack full of mithril). So, I need to know what items would be good to have, without anything unique or interesting enough to trigger the DM's "MUST DESTROY SHINY!" gene.

Thanks!

LibraryOgre
2008-01-06, 04:31 PM
So anyway, a halfling warmage, we start at 8th lvl. For the two Expanded Knowledge spells I'm looking at Bigby's Tripping Hand (tripping at range could be cool) and Ray of the Python (Reduces an opponent to one attack/round, I like it), both from PHB II. I chose these because I hear that Expanded Knowledge is a good place to pick up spells that do something other than direct damage, and I figure these will be good for incapacitating foes. As for feats, I was thinking Warmage Edge for +3 damage to all spells; what other feats are good?

Don't overlook Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot. Because of your fragility, you're not going to want to melee. Point Blank Shot opens up Precise Shot but, also useful, gives you a +1 to hit and damage with those close-range weapon-like ranged spells. You might also consider a Energy Substitution (Sonic) feat, or Energy Substitution (Electricity) and prepare for "Born of Three Thunders". If you can get away with it, there's a great feat in Player's Guide to Faerun, Arcane Schooling, which allows you to activate spell trigger items (wands, etc.) as if you were a member of one class (wizard, sorcerer, or bard). That would be GREAT, since it would greatly expand your usefulness.

For spells, you might want to consider things that expand you beyond combat. I've always liked Tenser's Floating Disk for the 3rd level option, and Leomund's Tiny Hut or Daylight for 6th (Daylight, especially, if you find yourself in an undead-heavy game). While you can't Rope Trick yourself to safety, you can rest comfortably.

For gear, my best advice is to have little stuff... instead of having big, impressive items, have several small, useful things. You're not going to be big on wands (you essentially ARE a wand), but a Heward's Handy Haversack is always useful. Get a weapon that's lightly magical (a +1), some OK armor, but never anything that's going to draw his attention... just give you bonuses that won't show up unless he's paying attention. Other useful things are "one shot" items, like potions, oils, and tokens... things that you use, then never have again. If he takes them, he takes them. If you've used them, then they've done their job.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-06, 04:33 PM
If you have feats to burn, I might also suggest a Sudden Metamagic feat or two.

Seffbasilisk
2008-01-06, 05:22 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Point Blank shot and Precise Shot.

Focus gold into armor. DMs may hate high AC, but are less likely to steal away custom armor. Split your AC into lots of little things.

Ring of Deflection, +1 Buckler, +1 mithril chain shirt, Amulet of natural armor, etc....

A +1 weapon works, I'd suggest a slashing one (to make use of Whirling Blade). If you're Chaotic, make it Cold Iron, if you're Lawful, make it Silver.

Utility items are damn nifty, but I suggest at least 1 potion of healing (in case seperated from heal-bot).

Qual's Feather Token: Tree. Lots of useage, and if nothing else, portable ladder.

Prepare something to do in an Antimagic field, even if it's just alchemical items.

Don't forget a poor-man's glitterdust (flour).

If you can get custom 1-Use items of Spell effects, get them.

Crow
2008-01-06, 05:46 PM
I've heard something like Empower metamagic being better for bigger dice, and Maximize metamagic being better for smaller dice. Or maybe it was the opposite?

Either way, a blaster should have one of those two =)

Rolaran
2008-01-06, 07:13 PM
Hello!

First of all, thank you for the advice. I just wanted to go over what I've got so far.

First, I hadn't noticed that Daylight counted as an Evocation spell, so I'm definitely changing my second spell for that. Second, I agree that a Heward's Handy Haversack would be... well, handy :smallsmile: Third, I like the idea of stuff that slips under the radar because it's written down, then forgotten (definitely picking up some Boots of Striding and Springing to ditch one of the big halfling disadvantages). And fourth, Point Blank Shot definitely sounds worth a feat, I didn't realize the bonuses applied to spells too.

I'm still having trouble with a good weapon though. Unfortunately the only good simple slashing weapon seems to be a dagger. Do you think it would be worth it to get the Returning property on a throwing dagger? Then I could

a) have a melee attack if I run out of spells
b) attack at range without worrying about ammo
c) make good use of my halfling throwing bonus
d) cast Whirling Blade

Sounds like a winner to me, and yet the sort of thing that would be trivial enough that the DM wouldn't immediately want it gone.

bugsysservant
2008-01-06, 07:34 PM
I've heard something like Empower metamagic being better for bigger dice, and Maximize metamagic being better for smaller dice. Or maybe it was the opposite?

Either way, a blaster should have one of those two =)

You did mix it up, yes. Empower is better for small dice, maximize for large. Look at magic missile: would you rather have (1d4+1)*1.5 (an average of 5.25) or 4+1? Oddly enough, maximize is actually worse than its lower level counter part.

LibraryOgre
2008-01-06, 07:42 PM
I'm still having trouble with a good weapon though. Unfortunately the only good simple slashing weapon seems to be a dagger. Do you think it would be worth it to get the Returning property on a throwing dagger? Then I could

d) cast Whirling Blade

Sounds like a winner to me, and yet the sort of thing that would be trivial enough that the DM wouldn't immediately want it gone.

Dagger is a good option. Light, cheap (before you magic it up), and useful. You might also want a morningstar as a back-up and bludgeon, however.

Artanis
2008-01-06, 07:50 PM
Hello!

First of all, thank you for the advice. I just wanted to go over what I've got so far.

First, I hadn't noticed that Daylight counted as an Evocation spell, so I'm definitely changing my second spell for that. Second, I agree that a Heward's Handy Haversack would be... well, handy :smallsmile: Third, I like the idea of stuff that slips under the radar because it's written down, then forgotten (definitely picking up some Boots of Striding and Springing to ditch one of the big halfling disadvantages). And fourth, Point Blank Shot definitely sounds worth a feat, I didn't realize the bonuses applied to spells too.

d) cast Whirling Blade

The thing about B is that if a Warmage is throwing a dagger instead of just incinerating something, he's already in a heap of trouble :smalltongue:

Crow
2008-01-06, 07:54 PM
You did mix it up, yes. Empower is better for small dice, maximize for large. Look at magic missile: would you rather have (1d4+1)*1.5 (an average of 5.25) or 4+1? Oddly enough, maximize is actually worse than its lower level counter part.

Haha! Whoops. Thanks for the correction =)

To the OP regarding a weapon; Have you considered the sickle (melee) or some shortspears (melee and ranged)?

Naihal
2008-01-06, 07:56 PM

d) cast Whirling Blade

a) If you run out of spells, then the first thing you want to do is get OUT of melee range, not into it. You have a poor BAB and a d6 hit die, melee attacks aren't just a waste of time, they're a good way to get killed.

b) Daggers only have a 10ft range increment. Stick with a crossbow, it's cheaper, does more damage, and has a better range increment.

c) Sure you get the halfling racial bonus, but the weapon itself sucks. The major difference between using a dagger and a crossbow is that a dagger gives you suck+1, while a crossbow gives you not-quite-suck+0.

d) If the weapon is for when you run out of spells, then you can't cast Whirling Blade. In any case where you could cast Whirling Blade, Scorching Ray or Flame Sphere would be better.

Consider buying a hand of the mage, the ability to cast mage hand at will has all kinds of benefits when used creatively, especially in conjunction with this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29508) :smalltongue:

Reel On, Love
2008-01-06, 08:08 PM
Grah. Thanks, Naihal. No, Warmages do *not* melee, or they shouldn't. And Whirling Blade isn't a particularily good spell.

The first rule of playing a Warmage is "don't."
If you have to play a Warmage, you know your role. And try to fix it. By which I mean, don't try to melee, and don't think you're a real spellcaster. You're a glorified, fragile archer with AoE arrows.

You should not be running out of spells, since you can use every last spell slot. If you are worried about running out of spells, take a Reserve Feat from the Complete Mage; it has the side effect of boosting the CL of a certain type of spells by 1 (i.e. taking Fiery Burst gives +1 CL to fire spells).

You should know your spell list well. The Warmage Spell list isn't *quite* pure damage--they get spells like Pyrotechnics (situational) and Sleet Storm that they can put to decent use.

You should expand your spell list. Sand Shaper (Sandstorm) adds a lot of spells, but loses a caster level (and you're already a level behind the wizard progression, new-spell-level-wise); there are a few other options. Fiend-Blooded is one, I think. Without looking into PrCs, there are more basic options availible.
The first is the "Eclectic Learning" substitution feature from the PHB II. It lets you pick non-evocation spells with your Advanced Learning, but at a level lower than you otherwise could. Still, very worthwhile, since it lets you pick things like Mirror Image, Fly, etc. up.

The second is the Arcane Disciple feat. Start with an OK Wisdom, buy a WIS booster occasionally, and you can cast one domain spell from the domain you pick per spell level per day. With a domain like, say, Travel, this is worthwhile. Pick a deity with domains that have good spell lists.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-06, 09:21 PM
In regards to your DM's "stab shiny things" style, I would use the "sealed envelope" method when it comes to your party's defenses. I prefer symbols of pain on anything fragile, explosive runes on anything hard (e.g. mithral), and permanencied symbol of pain on my spellbook, deactivated when I close it. If someone tries to rob you, have your DM open the envelope and read that you are protecting your gear in ways he didn't expect, and he has to make an even less believable attempt now that his invisible pickpocket has blown off his hand and you have called the guards on him.

Nebo_
2008-01-06, 09:28 PM
Warmages are great at picking up extra money. All you need is a goat and a suppressed gag reflex.

Rolaran
2008-01-06, 10:22 PM
Hmm, excellent rebuttals regarding the use of a dagger. Also I did the math, and figured out that I was spending almost a third of my WBL on something I hope I don't have to use. So I took it off, and used the extra money to buy cheaper weapons, a few scrolls of invisibility (which I will be able to use from having taken Arcane Schooling) and some tanglefoot bags. Now, if he runs out of spells, he'll have the tools to flee to a safe distance- the party may not like it, but then again the party probably will not like hitting up the diamond jewelers after dragging his carcass back to town.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-01-06, 10:35 PM
If you are getting Point Blank Shot, get Precise Shot. Please. It means you can shoot your rays and ranged-touch attacks into melee without shooting your friends. Remember: Friendly Fire Isn't.

For blasting spells, may I direct you to Conjuration? How about picking up stuff like Orb of Sound or Acid? It's almost universally applicable, and good for blasting. No Save and No SR Allowed makes blasters happy :smallbiggrin:

For a decent spell to get with your extra learning, may I suggest Wind Wall? Otherwise known as 'screw you, archers', it is effectively immunity to projectiles (other than magical attacks, boulders, and such things). Very useful defensive spell if used properly.

Of course, the one after that, for the 4th level spell... Otluke's Resilient Sphere. Call yourself a 'bubble boy' if you like, but hey... immunity to physical damage is a GOOD thing. Also, can be used to 'bubble' opponents to seperate them from the herd (good for dropping on opponent clerics with crappy Dex and Ref scores, to keep them from healing their allies, among other things). Can also 'bubble' allies who are down but stable to keep them from getting killed.

As far as gear... may I suggest an unenchanted Mithral Chain Shirt? It's light armor, so no ASF, has a max dex bonus of +6, and armor of +4. Congratulations, permanent Mage Armor. And only under 1500, so it shouldn't be too shiny, or at least easily replacable if it does get snatched/destroyed.

drunkmonk
2008-01-06, 10:53 PM
I am sorry, I know that this is perhaps not in line with your idea about a warmage. However, I have only played with one warmage in all the time our group has met. He was a gish, and performed reasonable well over all.

Warmage 4/Duskblade 2/spellsword 1/abjurant champion 1 at 8th level. You get BAB of +6/+1, and a caster level of 6 (3rd level warmage spells). Light armor and shields, plus all melee weapons.

If you plan to take a warmage up through 20 levels you might consider: Take Obtain Familiar (Divine Familiar if your DM oks this) + Celestrial bloodline. Then go to Sacred Exorcist at 11-20. 9th level spells, turn undead, BAB +16.

DM

Reel On, Love
2008-01-06, 11:12 PM
Warmages are great at picking up extra money. All you need is a goat and a suppressed gag reflex.

Bwa-HA. Nicely done.

Nebo_
2008-01-06, 11:15 PM
Bwa-HA. Nicely done.

Well, I'm almost entirely sure you're the one who came up with it in the first place.

MammonAzrael
2008-01-07, 12:30 AM
I second the mention of a Reserve Feat. Mostly found in the Complete Mage, they give you spell-like abilities with infinite, at will usage, depending on what you have still available to cast. I'd only worry about running out though if you have lots of encounters per day. Also, if you find that you'll be concentrating on one type of spell more often, Reserve feats bump caster levels by 1. Give 'em a look.

TheOOB
2008-01-07, 01:26 AM
If you must play a warmage, duskblades are like warmage 2.0, most of the blasting ability of the warmage, plus good combat ability.

That said, spell focus(evocation) is an obvious choice for a warblade, they tend to provoke a lot of reflex saves do helping yourself do full damage is always good. Otherwise you should focus on your defensive ability with your feats and items, warblades are not one for defense, so feats like improved toughness can be useful, as can items such as rings of protection and cloaks of resistance.