PDA

View Full Version : Start of Darkness Appreciation [spoilers]

Icewalker
2008-01-06, 05:27 PM
Spoilers will quickly arise. I'm putting mine in a spoiler, but they'll be out of them soon enough.

I reread SoD last night...it really is an amazing book. Just so well written. It's much less of a funny book than the rest of the comic or Origins...much more serious. And Rich Burlew does serious very well...It really impacted me. The characters are very well made, and portrayed excellently. The symbolism of Right-eye calling his brother 'Redcloak' as he dies instead of Older Brother like he always had...

FoE
2008-01-06, 05:32 PM
Great, great book. I recommend it wholeheartedly to any fan of OOTs who can get their hands on it.

Icewalker
2008-01-06, 06:05 PM
Great, great book. I recommend it wholeheartedly to any fan of OOTs who can get their hands on it.

Of course, anybody who doesn't have it won't read this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2008-01-06, 06:09 PM
Of course, anybody who doesn't have it won't read this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Unless their chances of getting it are near 0, in which case they don't care about spoilers.

Tyrmatt
2008-01-06, 06:23 PM
I can afford the books individually, but what I can't afford is the cost of buying them all and shipping across the ocean to Blighty, as I refuse to pay multiple postages on international items. And I must have them all or nothing :p
I get the generalised plot of SoD, it would just be neat to see it written on the page.
Maybe when the next book arises...

Lord_Drayakir
2008-01-06, 08:52 PM
It sounds ridiculous, but I can't find them in NYC. Honestly, it's so stupid, but I went to comic book stores, and book stores... none of them have it...

Zarah
2008-01-06, 09:51 PM
SoD is a work of art. I expected to be reading through a great book when I got it a few weeks ago, but after I started, I couldn't stop. I read the entire thing in a single sitting, and finally put it down in awe that night.

Rich did a spectacular job developing his characters far beyond anything we've ever seen in the standard comic, especially Redcloak. If you're a fan of all things OotS, then this book is simply something that must be read.

AlterForm
2008-01-06, 10:16 PM
I love the bit...

Right after the color doodles. Priceless.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-06, 11:18 PM
I want to get it, but I can't buy online, and no one sells it here.

>.>

tenguro
2008-01-07, 12:10 AM
Unless their chances of getting it are near 0, in which case they don't care about spoilers.

I havent read it yet but I know I'll get it within the next 6 months so I still read the threads on it cause I really don't mind spoilers, unless it's something really huge, like for example, the ending of the last harry potter book, I avoided all forums(including the WoTC forums even though it had nothing to do with harry potter) till I read the book.

NerfTW
2008-01-07, 08:50 AM
Just an FYI, there's already a sticky thread at the top of the page with this exact topic of discussion.

Start of Darkness - Discussion Thread (MARK ALL SPOILERS!) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49064)

Alfryd
2008-01-07, 10:29 AM
Spoiler tags within spoiler threads fill me with searing rage.

I reread SoD last night...it really is an amazing book. Just so well written. It's much less of a funny book than the rest of the comic or Origins...much more serious. And Rich Burlew does serious very well...It really impacted me. The characters are very well made, and portrayed excellently. The symbolism of Right-eye calling his brother 'Redcloak' as he dies instead of Older Brother like he always had...
I actually found SoD slightly funnier than OtooPCs or the strip on average, and much more compelling than Origins. But, yes, in summary I, too, liked Start of Darkness.

AlterForm
2008-01-07, 10:59 AM
Youmeanlikethis?lol

Uncle Festy
2008-01-07, 11:47 AM
It sounds ridiculous, but I can't find them in NYC. Honestly, it's so stupid, but I went to comic book stores, and book stores... none of them have it...

Have you tried Neutral Ground (http://www.neutralground.com/)? It's a gaming store. They usually have SoD, and even if they don't when you go, you might be able to figure out when the next shipment is coming or possibly reserve it.
Good luck getting it!

Lord_Drayakir
2008-01-08, 04:20 AM
Ah, thanks. I passed it by a couple of times when I go up to Manhattan, but since I'm a Brooklyn boy, I try to see if there's anything there. There usually isn't. Stupid reinforced stereotypes...