PDA

View Full Version : Gogol Bordello

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-06, 08:53 PM
So over on the "What Shocks You?" thread in FB, I noticed that these boards have a lot more Gogol Bordello fans than I'd expected.

So, who else loves this awesome gypsy punk band?

rubakhin
2008-01-06, 09:43 PM
Me, I love them also.

I got into them through Everything is Illuminated, in which the frontman shaves off his mustache and fakes an Odessa accent. It's great. (Especially for me since Odessa is my mother city).

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-06, 09:46 PM
Me, I love them also.

I got into them through Everything is Illuminated, in which the frontman shaves off his mustache and fakes an Odessa accent. It's great. (Especially for me since Odessa is my mother city).

Actually, I found out about them the same way. Considering that it's also the way a lot of people I know found out about them, I get the feeling that it was probably the most sound business decision the guy could possibly have made...

rubakhin
2008-01-06, 09:49 PM
Actually, I found out about them the same way. Considering that it's also the way a lot of people I know found out about them, I get the feeling that it was probably the most sound business decision the guy could possibly have made...

Ach, you make it sound so mercenary! The guy's a fine actor and it was a really good movie. No shame in branching out.

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-06, 09:53 PM
Ach, you make it sound so mercenary! The guy's a fine actor and it was a really good movie. No shame in branching out.

No, I agree completely. My point though is that I think being in that movie increased awareness of the band by a factor of about a billion, therefore making it an incredibly sound decision publicity wise. Doesn't mean I don't think he was good in the movie, just commenting that it helped him in more way than one.

SDF
2008-01-06, 11:06 PM
I first heard of them when I saw them live at Warped Tour 05. Best possible way to discover them. What. A. Show.

Smeik
2008-01-07, 10:41 AM
I like them too reaally much.

I found them by chance when i was raging through the internet on the search for good music. It's actually how i discover most music. Even known bands. I only learn they are known when i tell other people about them...

Well Gogol Bordello's awesome, because their drummer sounds as if he has parkinson... in a good way.

Simius
2008-01-07, 12:37 PM
I have their album Gypsy Punks (Underdog World Strike) and I love it. It's great how they sing awesome songs in so many different languages.

Tamburlaine
2008-01-07, 04:18 PM
I got their albums for Christmas! What excellent taste Santa has.

Lyesmith
2008-01-07, 04:24 PM
A freind introduced me to them, but so far has only sent me "Start Wearing Purple". I do love it, it's excellent!

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-07, 06:10 PM
"60 Revolutions" and "Start Wearing Purple" are my two favorites by them.

Also, they don't seem to have a slow tempo, do they?

rubakhin
2008-01-07, 06:52 PM
*muse* Are any other Gogol Bordello fans into gypsy punk at large? DeVotchKa seems to be getting more popular (they did a really lovely instrumental of Ochi Chyornye that I use on mix CDs a lot, but I don't listen to them much beyond that) and Zdob şi Zdub (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ylL-Askiai8) is popular in Eastern Europe, but I think I've met all of one American fan.