PDA

View Full Version : What to get...what to get.

Amras Seer
2008-01-06, 09:23 PM
I am going to get a D&D book at drivethru RPG, what should I get? (I have nothing)

Xefas
2008-01-06, 09:28 PM
Tome of Battle Tome of Battle
Tome of Battle Tome of Battle Tome of Battle
With the SRD supplying all the bits that are useful to players from the Core Three, the Tome of Battle has to be the most important book to have a real copy of.Tome of Battle
You need it, man...we all need it. Tome of Battle
Unless you exclusively play spellcasters, that is. Tome of Battle

Riffington
2008-01-06, 09:30 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/217367200

You know you're gonna want it.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-06, 09:30 PM
Player's Handbook plus Monster Manual and optional (but quintessential) Dungeon Master's Guide if you're ever planning to DM a group.

My favourite supplements are: Complete Mage/Champion, Tome of Magic, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Libris Mortis, Magic of Incarnum and Tome of Battle (not in any particular order). All of them ,except perhaps ToM, are widely used and referred to.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-01-06, 09:32 PM
Meh. You can pick up ToB later.

For now, get the Player Handbook, and pick up the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual later.

The SRD really isn't that good as a replacement for the core three.

After you get the three core books get everything else.

My suggestions:

Heroes of Horror, Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, the Complete Series, Magic Item Compendium, Spell Compendium, the Forgotten Realms and Eberron campaign settings, the Expanded Psionics Handbooks, the Player's Handbook II, and the Dungeon Master's Guide II.

Icewalker
2008-01-06, 09:38 PM
Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide (but mainly the PHB) come in handy regularly. Beyond that, everything is just extra. Tome of Battle is an excellent supplement, and I found myself really interested in Frostburn (enough that I'm going to go buy Sandstorm).

bugsysservant
2008-01-06, 09:46 PM
I disagree about ToB. It exists mainly to balance a few things, namely wizards dominating all other classes, especially at high levels, and the utter futility of playing a few classes, namely fighter and monk (paladin too, but I hate crusader's recovery mechanic). As a new group with limited splatbooks, really you shouldn't need ToB, and it may even unbalance the group in favor of the meleers. What you should do is look over the SRD. Can you run a game with just that? Note the lack of experience tables (easy to memorize), and a few other goodies. If you think you can run a game with just the SRD, go buy the PHB II (if you're going to be a player) or the DMG II (I prefer the former, but I know others, especially DMs, who prefer this). If you can't manage with just the SRD, buy the PHB, then the DMG. The monster manual is good, but not nearly as valuable as the other two, unless you really like beholders.

Amras Seer
2008-01-06, 10:42 PM
I might get complete psionic, and get phb II for chinese new year (yay free shanghai holidays based around free money, and cool red envelopes.)

Chronicled
2008-01-06, 11:20 PM
I might get complete psionic, and get phb II for chinese new year (yay free shanghai holidays based around free money, and cool red envelopes.)

Complete Psionic is teh sux. Expanded Psionics Handbook is what you're looking for (and a great book it is, too). PBB2 is also a great one.

Amras Seer
2008-01-07, 03:18 AM
Can someone give me a pdf for the xp tables, and stuff?

Baron Corm
2008-01-07, 03:25 AM
If it's not in the SRD it's not legal to do that.

P.S. get Lords of Madness, it is the greatest book. If you're not into aberrations, then you must get either Complete Arcane or Complete Warrior, or even better get both. Those are the second greatest books.

Chronicled
2008-01-07, 03:26 AM
No, but I can give you the formula: take the level the character is currently at and multiply it by 1000 to get the required additional xp to reach the next level.

For instance, at level 1 you have 0 xp to start. 1*1000 = 1000, which is how much more you need to reach level 2. At level 2, you have at least 1000 xp. 2*1000 = 2000, so you need 1000+2000 = 3000 xp to get to level 3. Make sense?

Inyssius Tor
2008-01-07, 03:49 AM
I would start with the core three--the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide--because I personally think they're easier to use than the SRD. I'd follow that up with the Tome of Battle, which I personally think makes melee characters more fun to play.

Or I would use d20srd.com for three months and then spend my 120 bucks on the 4th Edition core rules, which won't be available for free in System Reference Document form.

Kioran
2008-01-07, 07:10 AM
I would start with the core three--the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide--because I personally think they're easier to use than the SRD. I'd follow that up with the Tome of Battle, which I personally think makes melee characters more fun to play.

Or I would use d20srd.com for three months and then spend my 120 bucks on the 4th Edition core rules, which won't be available for free in System Reference Document form.

They said there would be some kind of OGL for 4th ed. as well, unless Iīm tragically mistaken. That also means thereīll be an SRD, allthough itīs quite possible that it wonīt be nearly as nifty....
As for recommendations: Get a DMG! Itīs quite possibly one of the best investments, since it contains several useful things not in the SRD and is a nice way of thanking someone for well thought-out, if imperfect, game design.

If you donīt want a DMG, get Complete Warrior. It has some nicht tidbits for everyone, especially for the poor, pained Fighter. Itīs also better than ToB, or at least Iīd buy it earlier.