PDA

View Full Version : what does an old gamer play these days?

dochobbs
2008-01-06, 09:45 PM
So I'm an ADD player since it came out when I was a kid. I did hard core d20 gaming as a kid/teen and then evolved to the computer ADD gaming (pool of radiance, etc) and now have cycled through the whole Baldur's Gate to NWN2. The problem is the time between computer games coming out and having no real time to sit down and play v.3.5 paper gaming with people.
What does a guy play to stay entertained? What do you all play? I don't really care to learn a whole new game (would like to stay in the D&D world). WoW doesn't appeal to me. I'd love some kind of online gaming world, but can't seem to find it. Thanks for any tips, this is the group I thought would have the best ideas.

Theli
2008-01-06, 09:51 PM
Have you checked out Dungeons and Dragons Online?

It's set in a newer campaign setting (Eberron) and is far from a perfect representation of d20. But it wasn't bad from what I remember of it.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-06, 10:24 PM
Play-by-post games can be quite satisfying, and allow for more roleplaying simply by virtue of nobody cutting you off mid-sentence.

I started playing MUDs ages ago before I could find any D&D groups and still find them an enjoyable way to pass the time, again for the ability for heavier roleplay. They tend to be dissatisfying on the adventuring/combat end though.

Since you enjoyed the BG series, I'd like to suggest Fallout 1&2 as well. The story is classic and all the traditional RPG elements are there. I know it doesn't fit into the D&D world but it's worth a shot. Worst-case scenario, you're out 15 bucks.

Nebo_
2008-01-06, 10:57 PM
Have you checked out Dungeons and Dragons Online?

It's set in a newer campaign setting (Eberron) and is far from a perfect representation of d20. But it wasn't bad from what I remember of it.

Like most MMORPGs, that game is awful. Don't bother.

SilentNight
2008-01-06, 11:03 PM
Knights of the Old Republic. Excellent game. Uses D&D rules for the most part. If you've got a 360 you could try Mass Effect. I haven't played it but hey, it's Bioware.

dochobbs
2008-01-06, 11:15 PM
I should add, I've played the excellent KotOR I and II and loved them both. Play by post sounds interesting, but I don't have the time I think I need to devote to D&D Online, unless it's easier to just quest here and there or you can solo a lot of it.

Prophaniti
2008-01-06, 11:17 PM
Yeah, both KotOR games (Knights of the Old Republic for the uninitiated) are loads of fun. If you're not adverse to older games I'd recommend finding copies of any of the Might & Magic games from VI on up(I-V are ok, but they're all dos-based and can be hard to get working on a newer machine). They tend to be mostly hack'n'slash, but all the classic fantasy elements are there and they're very non-linear. All of them have little to no dialogue options (people just give you quests and you go do them) but in VII you can chose to be good or evil, and I find they all have a high replay value.

SilentNight
2008-01-06, 11:21 PM
I didn't like KOTOR II as much. Force crush though is so badass.

Nebo_
2008-01-06, 11:30 PM
The Witcher is one of the best computer RPGs I've ever played. Take a look at that.