PDA

View Full Version : bard instruments

de-trick
2008-01-06, 09:47 PM
I've been playing around with making a bard for a campaign but not sure what instrument to play. Forget bards and usefulness and how there not good. Also my DM and fellow players love to have fun so goofy Ideas work.

cow bell(a joke are group has about guitar hero...cow bell hero)
bagpipes (not a Scottish dwarf thing thinking a elf or gnome for this one)
drum(arompapa-pun)
singing tecno music

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-06, 09:50 PM
Elvish bagpipers are the way to go.

SilentNight
2008-01-06, 09:52 PM
Currently I'm playing a hidden weapons fighter who plays a stand-up bass. It's a little bulky but I love basses. Our group agreed that it would weigh around 10lbs. if it was made of darkwood but that's entirely subjective.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-06, 09:54 PM
One man band
Magical Electric Guitar
Axe(the beat is formed by the blows against his enemies hides)
Ukelele
Kazoo
Harmonica
Rainstick
Organ(reduced and can be expanded at will by you in order to play)
No music, just interpretive dance

Tsitra
2008-01-06, 09:55 PM
I've been playing around with making a bard for a campaign but not sure what instrument to play. Forget bards and usefulness and how there not good. Also my DM and fellow players love to have fun so goofy Ideas work.

drum(arompapa-pun)
singing tecno music

Just using phb spells, it's entirely possible to setup a rave.
Just saying...

I'd go with either drum or singing.

Talya
2008-01-06, 09:55 PM
This thread needs more cowbell.

SilentNight
2008-01-06, 09:58 PM
That just cured my fever.

13_CBS
2008-01-06, 10:02 PM
This thread needs more cowbell.

http://www.marsneedsguitars.com/blog_pics/cowbell.jpg

There ya go.

Thomix
2008-01-06, 10:03 PM
Air Guitar

TheBlackDog
2008-01-06, 10:09 PM
Kazoo

No hands needed.
You can be holding it in your mouth and kazooing as you wield a greatsword!:smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2008-01-06, 10:22 PM
Perform (Mime). Bard: "Guy's I'm going to do walking in the wind until we win." Group: "Quick kill it!"

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-06, 10:23 PM
Therimin
Didgeridoo
Glass harmonica
Rockerboy

Also, depending on the nature of the BBEG(i.e. is it Asmodeous?), golden fiddle.:smallcool:

loves_to_laugh
2008-01-06, 10:23 PM
One word: banjolele

As the name suggests it is a cross between a banjo and a ukulele.
It's in the song and silence book.
Here's some other instruments with convenient pictures.
(I own the book and a scanner):smallbiggrin:

http://a999.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/1/l_2718119e8d1a115c884400dce323ecae.png

Another good item is the gong. That would be cool and funny.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-06, 10:46 PM
(not all my ideas) Triangle
Tap-dancing
Midi Files
Finger cymbals
Bone xylophone
second for gong

de-trick
2008-01-06, 11:14 PM
man I couldn't stop myself from laughing, when I play this bard I'm totally taking versatile performer

RTGoodman
2008-01-07, 12:10 AM
A couple of ideas:

Use the helmets of your defeated enemies as drums (a la the end of Return of the Jedi).
One-man band (that thing that has all the different instruments all strapped to you).
Rainstick
Crystal glasses (filled with various amounts of water, running your finger around the rims).
(Serious) A dwarven bard using (Oratory) to rattle of long lists of old Dwarven heroes. I've always liked that idea.

Chronicled
2008-01-07, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure where the original image is from (though I'd love to know), but I think it has one of the more badass bard weapon ideas.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/ClericofPhwarrr/bards.jpg

It's enough to make me play a bard who doesn't use oratory for the mechanical benefits, just to have an instrument that bleeds.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-07, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure where the original image is from (though I'd love to know), but I think it has one of the more badass bard weapon ideas.

It's enough to make me play a bard who doesn't use oratory for the mechanical benefits, just to have an instrument that bleeds.

I think she's using the bow as a blade. The string cuts the flesh like a fine edge. MUAHAHAHAHAHA. Now that's music... TO DIE FOR! Indeed, a KILLER performance.

Chronicled
2008-01-07, 01:15 AM
I think she's using the bow as a blade. The string cuts the flesh like a fine edge. MUAHAHAHAHAHA. Now that's music... TO DIE FOR! Indeed, a KILLER performance.

That was my initial thought, but then wouldn't she also cut her violin's strings?

Either way, it'd make a sweet bard.

TheOOB
2008-01-07, 01:38 AM
Who needs instruments?

Use perform(a capella).

Or use perform(dance) and use mass suggestion to get back-up dancers.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-07, 02:08 AM
That was my initial thought, but then wouldn't she also cut her violin's strings?

Either way, it'd make a sweet bard.

...adamantine strings?

Chronicled
2008-01-07, 02:13 AM
...adamantine strings?

:smalleek:

:smallbiggrin: Brilliant!

That cinches it. My next character is going to be a bard that has an adamantine stringed violin and a bow-blade. Although, I still like the idea of a cursed violin bow that drips blood. Ah, decisions, decisions...

malagigi
2008-01-07, 02:27 AM
Uilleann bagpipes. Instead of blowing to fill the bag with air, you pump a bellows with your right arm, and squeeze the bag with your left.
You might ask your self why uilleann over Highland Bagpipes or the like. The answer is simple: if you're not blowing into a blowstick your mouth is free for singing and, more importantly, drinking. :smallwink:

The glass harmonica would be awesome for no other reason than the hilarity around trying to move the instrument. People's reaction to the crazy sound would be fun too. Alternately, one could use Franklin's armonica.

Fishy
2008-01-07, 07:32 AM
Perform (Gong) just wins everything forever.

There's also Perform (Accordion), Perform (Haiku), Perform (Tapdance), Perform (Maracas), Perform (Stand Up Comedy), Perform (Smashing-Watermelons-With-A-Sledgehammer-Like-Gallagher) and Perform (Braigetori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braigetori))

CaptainSam
2008-01-07, 08:09 AM
How about Perform: Dance (Schuplattler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUmUaF7yusg))

Multiclass into Monk and the enemy will never know where the next attack is coming from!

JellyPooga
2008-01-07, 08:17 AM
Perform: Power Ballad

You don't need instruments, 'cos all you have to do is start singing and the environment instantly becomes dramatic (wind, rain and lightning effects abound!) and music comes out of nowhere, just like in a music video :smallbiggrin:.

Willfor
2008-01-07, 11:16 AM
...adamantine strings?
I imagine strings of Adamantine would have a sharp, sweet tone. Though your violin will sound very different due to all of the modifications to the bow that would have to be made. To get a good grip (and resonance) on the strings between the bow and strings if they are both metallic, you will need some kind of sticky liquid to lubricate the strings.

... Though blood would do the trick nicely. Your bard would need to bleed something before playing though unless you want your party deafened by squeals, instead of warmer sound.

Only in a fantasy world do instruments sound better just after having been used as a weapon.:smallamused:

Eorran
2008-01-07, 12:32 PM
A couple more suggestions:
Tuba or sousaphone (the wrap-around tuba, goes great with lederhosen)
Cello (cause the sound is so cool)
Baritone saxophone
Bassoon (it's a bass oboe)
or for hands-free,
Perform (yodel)

Prophaniti
2008-01-07, 12:42 PM
I'd already decided the next bard I run is going to play a one-man-band. It's gonna be awesome!:smallbiggrin: Also Yodeling sounds fun... maybe both? heh, that's just evil. That's it! An evil bard who yodels while playing a one man band and specializes in destructive sonic spells! Brilliant!

Brawls
2008-01-07, 01:08 PM
I'm inclined to go with one of the following:

Castanets
Triangle

or bowed saw (my personal fave)

Brawls

Sleet
2008-01-07, 01:16 PM
I have three words for you.

Ogre combat piano.

Khosan
2008-01-07, 01:47 PM
singing tecno music

I had a funny image of a gnome running through a battlefield, waving a glow-stick around and frantically shouting, "unce unce unce unce," as he tries to keep his teammates buffed.

As for my input. Riverdance. Nothing can beat a team of Bards Riverdancing down the field.

MorkaisChosen
2008-01-07, 02:07 PM
Perform: Conduct

To anyone who doesn't play classical music: I mean the guy at the front waving his hands around to keep everyone in time.

Actually, if I ever DM, I'm hugely tempted to put in a Dwarf Brass Band who all use Bard abilities to use Sonic damage spells, maybe with the Trombone section multiclassed into Drunken Master...

loves_to_laugh
2008-01-07, 04:01 PM
Perform: Power Ballad

You don't need instruments, 'cos all you have to do is start singing and the environment instantly becomes dramatic (wind, rain and lightning effects abound!) and music comes out of nowhere, just like in a music video :smallbiggrin:.

I think this one is pretty awesome. I mean how perfect is that? Especially if you are trying to be epic.

Also, I think if you take Perform(yodel) you should also take the Alphorn
(the horn that the riccola guy uses).

Inhuman Bot
2008-01-07, 04:22 PM
I laughed so hard reading this thread I fell off my chair.....really.

Ideas:
evil bard: preform: rap,polka,improv, teeth from victims used to make a maraka with a skull and femur and breakdancing ( where do you THINK dance of ruin came from?)
feat: music video.

good bard: mini piano,whistle, ocorina and musical door slamming.

and from my freind...preform: poledance. Never speak of this again.

Corlis
2008-01-07, 04:37 PM
Sharpen the body of an electric guitar and it can be your axe in more ways than one :smallamused:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-07, 04:38 PM
and from my friend...preform: poledance. Never speak of this again.Only if you play an evil gnome or dwarf.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-07, 04:56 PM
not serious: mouth harp, scat (the music genre you pervs), crooning ala Frank Sinatra, spoons, two weapon fighting with bludgeoning weapons and perform (improvized percussion instrument),

Evil bard Vasharon probably., with Willing Deformity from BoVD, perform: (bell dancing) his/her deformity is a string of bells hung from a series of hooks sewn into the bards flesh. Take Dark Speech ASAP, and the Battle Dancer feat from PHBII

MaelstromTrap
2008-01-07, 05:22 PM
My evil bard plays a wind stone. Basically, the wind goes through it and it makes noises. You get a nifty Fear Bonus.

It's also in the song and silence book. :smallbiggrin:

cupkeyk
2008-01-07, 06:15 PM
I am playing a bard who uses a menat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menat)/mithral breastplate.

Talya
2008-01-07, 06:19 PM
Perform: Lipsync

MartinHarper
2008-01-07, 07:36 PM
How about a grappling bard with Perform (partner dance)?

Chronicled
2008-01-07, 07:54 PM
I imagine strings of Adamantine would have a sharp, sweet tone. Though your violin will sound very different due to all of the modifications to the bow that would have to be made. To get a good grip (and resonance) on the strings between the bow and strings if they are both metallic, you will need some kind of sticky liquid to lubricate the strings.

... Though blood would do the trick nicely. Your bard would need to bleed something before playing though unless you want your party deafened by squeals, instead of warmer sound.

Only in a fantasy world do instruments sound better just after having been used as a weapon.:smallamused:

*Copies this into his notes of stuff for future use*

I had a funny image of a gnome running through a battlefield, waving a glow-stick around and frantically shouting, "unce unce unce unce," as he tries to keep his teammates buffed.

:amused:

Admiral Squish
2008-01-07, 08:48 PM
Only in a fantasy world do instruments sound better just after having been used as a weapon.

I have an overwhelming urge to sig this. May I?

obvious pun
2008-01-07, 08:53 PM
I suggest the fiddle. 'Cause ya never know when you'll have to beat the devil in a fiddle contest. And why get adamantite strings to slice your foes when a solid gold fiddle can be used to beat your enemies over the head.

Or you could use the kryptonian instrument in this comic

http://www.superdickery.com/other/2.html

Willfor
2008-01-07, 10:28 PM
I have an overwhelming urge to sig this. May I?
Yeah, of course. I love being quoted.

BRC
2008-01-07, 10:34 PM
Bard Varient: Mariachi. They play very loudly until the monsters give them loot to go away.

loves_to_laugh
2008-01-07, 11:39 PM
and from my freind...preform: poledance. Never speak of this again.
:smalleek:
I think this may stun your party members,
not make them courageous...

On the other hand, that could work to your advantage...
:smallwink:
I sense some looting opportunities in the future....
Do they make portable poles?

Inhuman Bot
2008-01-24, 06:28 PM
.... I said never speak of it again..

The Faceless
2008-01-24, 07:07 PM
Perform: Guitar Hero

"Guys, last level means i got to rank 10. i think i can five star Knights of Cydonia on medium now, just in time for that group of blackguards we're meant to fight."

"Great! Take skill focus as your next feat, we could do with DragonForce for fighting that elder fire elemental the DM hinted at."

The Extinguisher
2008-01-24, 07:46 PM
I've always wanted to take Perform (Stand Up Comedy)

Felius
2008-01-24, 07:48 PM
.... I said never speak of it again..

Ok, so let's speak of: Perform (Striptease). It also have the advantage of not being dependent of a pole.

Lochar
2008-01-24, 07:54 PM
Ok, so let's speak of: Perform (Striptease). It also have the advantage of not being dependent of a pole.

Yes, but then you can't use a masterwork item, as by the end of the performance, you'd have discarded the item.

With Preform: Poledance, you at least always have your pole.

Chronos
2008-01-24, 08:01 PM
Do they make portable poles?Aha! Yet another use for the Immovable Rod!

zaei
2008-01-24, 08:18 PM

I would also love to know where the original image is from, or if anyone has it (say, in a larger, more desktop background friendly size? =] ).

Project_Mayhem
2008-01-25, 07:02 AM
Aha! Yet another use for the Immovable Rod!

(Applauds)

Also, how about perform(The Hustle)?

leperkhaun
2008-01-25, 07:14 AM
i vote for the hubjo

Leon
2008-01-25, 09:08 AM
Perform (Bad Poetry)

The Chino
2008-01-28, 06:45 PM
Some of my personal favorites (for strange and unique purposes, not really comedic or over-the-top as it were):

-Aquaggaswack
-Beer Bottle Organ (One for those dwarves)
-Bikelophone (Yes, it's a real thing, sadly)
-Celestial Harp (Because it looks awesome)
-Double Violin (Played for 5 years, and still can't get that one right)
-Due Capi
-Gravikord
-Hang Drum (For shear bad*ss-ocity)
-Huaca
-Kalimba (Or thumb piano, I love this one)
-Musical Saw
-Pikasso (Without multiple limbs, I dont know HOW someone would master this, unless it was two halflings working in tandem or something)
-Ringflute (Also a personal favorite)
-Rumitone (Hope you don't get motion sickness)
-Sea Organ (not one you can play, but something you should enjoy nevertheless)
-Skatar (Yeah, it's awesome, and I wish I had thought of it first)
-Trump (Or Jaw Harp)
-Vegetables (Look around, there are tons of these on the net)

Most of these were sited from a book I got 3 christmas' ago on exotic instruments. Some were found here (http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/)

zaei
2008-01-28, 08:10 PM
Most of these were sited from a book I got 3 christmas' ago on exotic instruments. Some were found here (http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/)

First one on that list, Perform(Aeolian Wind Harp). Laziest bard EVER.

Also: BROCCOLI OCARINA! BIGU SIZE DESU! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GabHGlGm14)

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-28, 09:14 PM
There's always Perform (One-man Band).

Collin152
2008-01-28, 09:33 PM
Perform (Breakdance) or
Perform (ABBA)
Either one works, really.

Jimblee
2008-01-28, 09:46 PM
Perform (Mime). Bard: "Guy's I'm going to do walking in the wind until we win." Group: "Quick kill it!"

Profession (Mime)

Perform (Glass cage)

Also,

Vibraslap
Mouth harp
Organ grinder

UserClone
2008-01-28, 10:02 PM
Ok, I have to quote a comic from Dragon on this subject!
"Are you kidding?!? Every time you gonged your frikkin' gong, every monster in the dungeon would know exactly where we are!!"

"Maybe. But could a flute or a mandolin provide your entire party with 50% cover?"

Devils_Advocate
2008-01-29, 02:48 PM
I suggest a gnome bard with a hurdy gurdy.

Or a dwarven opera singer.

The Oddologist
2009-07-10, 01:29 AM

This picture is titled Bride of Lucifer and is by Noah KH. You can see the full image and more of his work here (http://noah-kh.deviantart.com/).

Asheram
2009-07-10, 05:29 AM
You need a cleric that keeps traveling around with a bard choir, accompanied by yet another bard that plays the rarest instrument of them all, the Warforged organ. (the instrument)

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 07:26 AM
Oddologist, if you want to continue a discussion that's over 5 months old, you should start a new thread instead of resorting to thread necromancy. Since it appears that you are new here, you might want to read up on the rules of the forum.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-10, 07:45 AM
Well, I have something to add,
(Perform) Theremin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0B1sipLBI).

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 07:46 AM
Well, I have something to add,
(Preform) Theremin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0B1sipLBI).

I would pay any amount of gold pieces to let my bard play a theremin. Way too cool.

Random832
2009-07-10, 09:00 AM
Magical Electric Guitar
Axe(the beat is formed by the blows against his enemies hides)

I'll see that and raise: A magical electric guitar that is a greataxe. (with an exotic weapon proficiency and six ranks in a unique* perform skill, you can attack while playing. Even without it, a critical hit automatically plays an awesome chord and applies a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls for the rest of the party for one round [until the Bard's next turn])

*As in, applies specifically to this instrument, and not to string instruments generally. Perform (string instruments) is sufficient to use it normally as an instrument.

Anyone have any thoughts on pricing / craft prerequisites?

Reaper_Monkey
2009-07-10, 09:35 AM
Perform (Juggle Goslings) :smallbiggrin: Who needs instruments when you have entertainment that good?!

warrl
2009-07-10, 10:53 AM
Just want to say: 4E bards are lame.

Not necessarily as combat characters, but as expressions of the concept of a bard.

They are the only performing class. The only sort of performing their powers are relevant to is vocal - so okay, bards sing. Limited, but it works. Instrument focus, right. The selection of basic, non-magical instruments they can use as magical foci consists of... the WAND????

Gack.

If bards are to be the performing class, we need MUSICIANS not just conductors. We also need room for performers who do NOT primarily sing and play instruments. Dancers, jugglers, acrobats...

"I Perform Cartwheel in a circle around the enemy wizard, mocking him as I do so."

"Okay everyone, seeing the bard tease the wizard and get away with it uplifts your spirit, giving you +2 to hit and AC until the end of the encounter."

MissK
2009-07-10, 12:02 PM
Perform (Performance Art) would be cool too. You would get to wander around doing bizarre and incongruous things and somehow it would help your friends. Same goes for Perform (Poetry Slam).

And here are some for a bard with Suggestion or a cadre of followers:

Perform (country line dance)
and
Perform (Morris dance)

Xenogears
2009-07-10, 03:02 PM
Perform (Comedy) + Dragonfire Inspiration "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get 10d6 fire damage!"

TSED
2009-07-10, 03:09 PM
Perform (Performance Art) would be cool too. You would get to wander around doing bizarre and incongruous things and somehow it would help your friends. Same goes for Perform (Poetry Slam).)

Good gods I want to play a Bard with Perform (Performance Art) so much right now.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-10, 03:11 PM
Bard with leadership. Perform:Flash mob.

ashmanonar
2009-07-10, 03:51 PM
Who needs instruments?

Use perform(a capella).

Or use perform(dance) and use mass suggestion to get back-up dancers.

Doo wop
wop wop
Doo wop
Ooooooh

OracleofWuffing
2009-07-10, 04:10 PM
Perform (Cat)

Just tuck it under your shoulder, and *lightly* pinch the tail in places to the appropriate pitch. See about getting a synergy bonus from Handle Animal while you're at it. Makes a handy tool for taking care of level 1 wizards. Or is it commoners? Eh, whatever.

Reechlard
2009-07-10, 04:42 PM
I'm thinking preform: wine glass musical because it will only take 10 minutes to get it all set up so that's only like 600 rounds if you can convince the rest of the party to wait.

Zaq
2009-07-10, 05:54 PM
Perform: Villainous Monologue.

(Also, "preform" is NOT A BARD CLASS SKILL.)

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-10, 06:03 PM
Perform (Interpretive Dance)

Fighter: I thought we were going gonna rumble with those greasy Sharks.
Bard: Not without seven years of ballet and two of jazz tap, we're not.

Blake32k_666
2009-07-18, 03:41 PM

drum(arompapa-pun)
singing tecno music

Dude, use a didgeridoo. And talk Australian, and if you ever need a familiar or animal companion, choose a Koala.

Gerrtt
2009-07-18, 04:02 PM
Gonna have to suggest the Flexatone.

What, you don't know what one is?

http://www.compositiontoday.com/sound_bank/percussion/flexatone.jpg

To hear some samples, click Here (http://www.compositiontoday.com/sound_bank/percussion/flexatone.asp)

For that matter, while you're there, check out the vibraslap. Another great bard instrument.

Zain
2009-07-18, 04:12 PM
or you can do perform, (Monty Python):cool:

if you don't surrender i will tell you the joke!

Mr.Moron
2009-07-18, 04:13 PM
One of those Moonshine Jugs with XXX on the front.

Jair Barik
2009-07-18, 04:24 PM
Perform (annoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw))
Perform (dragostea din tei)

Somewhere theres a build for a bard who defeats his enemies by break dancing

Mongoose87
2009-07-18, 04:30 PM
I made a bard who played the digeridoo. Had a prestige class based on it, too, called the digeridude.

alexi
2009-07-18, 07:51 PM
I want to play a half-giant harbinger bard who does tuvan throat singing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wRzvBeitY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO4Uh-Mini4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCJ5hedcVA
how badass would that be with snowflake war dance + twf w/long sword and whip, totaly freak the hell out of your enemies

Glass Mouse
2009-07-18, 08:55 PM
I personally rather like the idea of Perform: (human beatbox)

Gerbah
2009-07-18, 09:33 PM
Perform (yell)

Other than that, you could do something like Perform (stomp) where you make the music by essentially stomping, beating and slapping whatever is at your disposal (perhaps you could make it the enemies and build a character around musical beatings?).