PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new game.

North
2008-01-07, 01:38 AM
Im looking for a new game to get into. Id like to find something thats as close to DnD as I can find. Full party customization, full weapon/armor choice. Turn based combat. Console doesnt matter I have everything but the PSP. DS would be preferable though I think. Anyone played anything recent thats good that sorta fits that decription?

Trying to scratch that DnD gaming itch right now basically.

Ettlesby
2008-01-07, 02:00 AM
Well, I suggest Etrian Odyssey, myself. It's for the DS, I have it, and your team is really customizable. It's in the style of those old first-person RPGs, and, well, I'm not good at describing things but it's pretty close to what you seem to want. At least, the way I understand it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-01-07, 02:33 AM
Well, you can find full customization, or turn-based combat, I really cant think of anything that has both.

Ettlesby
2008-01-07, 02:42 AM
Well, you can find full customization, or turn-based combat, I really cant think of anything that has both.

In Etrian Odyssey, you have full control over what skills your characters get when they level up, and it's also turn-based. You also have full control over what class of characters you have with you, up to five per team, but I think you can make a whole bunch of 'em.

North
2008-01-07, 03:02 AM
Etrian Odyssey you say? Hmm I think Ill have to check that out. Sounds intriguing and what Im looking for. Good game?

Jinura
2008-01-07, 11:04 AM
The old might and magic games anyone? Has full party custimization. And turn based combat.

Castaras
2008-01-07, 12:04 PM
The old might and magic games anyone? Has full party custimization. And turn based combat.

The new might and magic games also. =)

Might and Magic VII onwards are brilliant...^.^

factotum
2008-01-07, 12:46 PM
The new might and magic games also. =)

Might and Magic VII onwards are brilliant...^.^

Given that Might and Magic VII came out something like 8 years ago, this is clearly a usage of the word "new" I've not encountered before. :-)

Ettlesby
2008-01-07, 04:10 PM
Etrian Odyssey you say? Hmm I think Ill have to check that out. Sounds intriguing and what Im looking for. Good game?'

I like it.

I hope you don't mind making maps of places though, because you have to make the maps of the dungeon yourself.. Although, they provide you with a way to do it on the bottom screen

North
2008-01-07, 05:00 PM
'

I like it.

I hope you don't mind making maps of places though, because you have to make the maps of the dungeon yourself.. Although, they provide you with a way to do it on the bottom screen

Tried looking for it today. EB Games and future shop dont carry it at all! This could be hard to get.

Metal Head
2008-01-07, 10:07 PM
Gothic is a great game. Except for your character's gender and facial features you can control almost everything else. Sadly, there isn't a turn based combat system. However, the story is super special awesome, which makes the game totally worth playing.

Geode
2008-01-07, 11:14 PM
I was looking for information on Etrian Odyssey and ran across this youtube demo clip: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5KGg6Bk5A

Archangel Yuki
2008-01-13, 09:42 PM
Final Fantasy Tatics.

They even have a sort of multiclassing. Also, jsut a completely awesome game- probably one of the best storylines in FF series.

North
2008-01-14, 02:51 AM
Well I found etrian odyssey on ebay. Hopefully I should be able to get it this week!

I havent heard of Gothic before. I did pick up tactics waaay back. Was alright. The judges were annoying as heck though.

Crispy Dave
2008-01-14, 11:17 AM
neverwinter nights?

Raroy
2008-01-14, 02:09 PM
Well I found etrian odyssey on ebay. Hopefully I should be able to get it this week!

I havent heard of Gothic before. I did pick up tactics waaay back. Was alright. The judges were annoying as heck though.

Judges? Did you get tactics advance? I think he meant the original.

Drascin
2008-01-14, 02:39 PM
Final Fantasy Tatics.

They even have a sort of multiclassing. Also, jsut a completely awesome game- probably one of the best storylines in FF series.

This kind of game wouldn't have been my first recommendation after reading the OP, but if you happen to try and like FFT, go for Disgaea afterwards, as it is basically a +5 FFT made by a gnome :smallamused: . It's not bad on the customization front as well: you create your own characters through an outstanding number of classes (and even inside a single class you can move a few points around... and let's not get on Transmigration and Pupil Learning), and then can customize every single equipment piece in the game individually by means of the item world (that is, getting inside the item, and smacking the magic spirits inside said item with a pointy metal stick until they listen to you :smalltongue:) and the movement of Residents.

Basically, how good your team is in this game is hugely decided by how much effort do you wish to expend customizing and pimping it to the point of absolute uberness.

It's not a serious RPG, though, so if you like your storylines to take themselves seriously, disregard this post, for the sake of your sanity :smalltongue: .

But, as for the first thing that came to my mind when reading... have you beat all actual D&D-based CRPGs around, before going around for D&D-style games? The Neverwinter games, Baldur's Gate, and especially Planescape: Torment, are very good games (though I'd recommend being up to speed in your 2e knowledge before going for the last two).

Woot Spitum
2008-01-14, 03:37 PM
The Temple of Elemental Evil for PC is the closest thing to actual D&D that I've seen in a PC game. If you don't mind wrestling with the bugs that is. My biggest problem with the game is that it is too much like D&D.

All the games Drascin mentioned are more fun, if less completely like D&D though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II for PC.

Metal Head
2008-01-14, 05:27 PM
I havent heard of Gothic before.

You should try it. It's sort of an old game (released in 2001), which is probably why you haven't heard of it. Outside of Europe it never achieved much success. Still, it has a great story, colorful character, fun combat, lots of re-play value. The re-playing comes from the fact that there are 3 different factions, one of which you have to join. And within the factions there's several different character paths. It's a great RPG, and is fairly cheap thanks to the fact that it came out seven years ago.

North
2008-01-31, 05:18 PM
UPDATE: The Game has finallllllly arrived. I have to stop by the post office to pick it up when Im done work.

*Glees*

SilentNight
2008-01-31, 07:28 PM
I'm sure you already played them but Knights of the Old Republic, one more than two. And Baldur's Gate.

Mando Knight
2008-01-31, 07:53 PM
Full party customization, full weapon/armor choice. Turn based combat. ... DS would be preferable though I think. Anyone played anything recent thats good that sorta fits that decription?

Sounds like Pokemon to me :smallwink: ... even though it's often disparaged as a child's game, it's intense if you get into it...

Eventually, you get to have massive party customization... choose any 6 party members from over 400 possible Pokemon, 4 attacks each out of hundreds, and... turn based combat.

Also, side-quests galore... many self-incurred in your journey for the infinity plus one Pikachu.:smalltongue:

It also has both dungeons (caves, mountains, volcanoes, corporate BBEG fortresses...) and dragons (Diamond/Pearl's titular Pokemon, Dragonite, Charizard...)

I'm serious, you know.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-31, 08:38 PM
You know, that is true. Pokémon Red was the first video game I've ever played!

I'd also have to second the Neverwinter Nights series. Since those games are actually based on D&D, you can't get much better than that.

I've yet to play the other D&D-based games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Planescape: Torment or The Temple of Elemental Evil), but if you're looking for D&D-like games, you can't do much better than stuff directly from the source.

North
2008-02-02, 04:21 PM
Yeah I thought about getting into the Baldurs gates stuff but now their so old. And 2.0 I think as well.

Also so far Etrians been pretty good. A fair bit tough too:smalleek:

bluish_wolf
2008-02-02, 06:27 PM
I was looking for information on Etrian Odyssey and ran across this youtube demo clip: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5KGg6Bk5A

The first time I heard of Etrian Odyssey was from that IOSYS flash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM) Maybe I should convince my brother (who actually has a DS) to buy it so I can see what it's like.