PDA

View Full Version : best options for a kobold

Doresain
2008-01-07, 02:05 AM
fluff wise, i have what i believe is a good idea...the world we are set in is a disc set out in the middle of the far realms, protected from the horrors that dwell there by a magical barrier...unfortunately, said barrier has been shrinking in order to stay strong enough to fend of the madness...most of the inhabitants of the disc have been born and raised there, after their ancestors stumbled onto a gateway leading to the disc, so by now most of them have forgotten who their race was in the past etc...

my idea is a kobold cleric of kurtulmak, who only knows of the patron of kobolds from religious texts passed down from generation to generation in his clan...he i now trying to either attract the attention of said deity through the prayers of every kobold on the disc in order to save them or create a gateway to some other world far from the disc...in short, save his people at the cost of all others...

aside from the fluff, i have no idea where to take this character...i was considering leadership, commander and halfling's cunning, and swarmfighting as feats, to represent that he is adept at using the kobold's advantages against other races, but im iffy on that idea

any thoughts?

Shovah
2008-01-07, 02:10 AM
Just to say this first:
Pun Pun

'nuff said.

Doresain
2008-01-07, 02:12 AM
the DM actually slapped my hand for even considering such a thing...funny thing is, he didnt even know what pun-pun was until i said something about it...

so no pun-pun builds

Wordmiser
2008-01-07, 02:26 AM
I would build a skillmonkey Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) Cleric with the Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) and Trickery Domains.

That would be a start for some Kobold-related goodness.

Of course, that's only a start and you'll still need some feats...

Almost all of Complete Champion's Domain feats are pretty attractive.

Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Persistant Spell and Divine Metamagic (Persist)* are all strong feat choices for any Cleric.

*This is nowhere near "overpowered" if the Leadership feat is an option.

That leaves three more:

Heighten Spell can be nice for a Cleric.
Scribe Scroll and Craft Wondrous Item are both nice feats if the DM gives you the chance to use them.
Touch of Healing (Complete Champion) spares you some Spell Slots/Cash.
Improved Initiative/Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior) are good choices for any character.
You might even want Spell Focus--Conjuration/Augment Summoning.
If you could boost your Survival modifier somehow, Track would round off your Skillmonkey-ness quite well.
And Summon Elementa (Complete Mage) l is always handy.

Doresain
2008-01-08, 02:54 AM
well i actually made the cleric...mind you the game had already been going on for a few sessions, and seeing as how the DM is leaving in a couple days he scraped that campaign right after i started using said cleric...kinda sucked

luckily our normal DM decided that he wanted to start up a planescape campaign, where i am playing a goblin fighter 4/barbarian 1 in a group consisting of a human swashbuckler 5, daelkyr half-blood psion 1/fighter 4, and a elan (not the bard)psion 5...not exactly youre most well rounded or optimized group but we have raped everything we have fought so far...hell, my dude managed to one shot a couple githyanki with their own swords with no proficiencies in said weapon and no armor, so i feel proud...

Charity
2008-01-08, 10:16 AM
Dunno, maybe make a curry to mask the taste a bit.

Necromas
2008-01-08, 10:27 AM
Don't bother with things like swarmfighting, Kobolds were not meant for melee (except weapon finesse rogues that dont care about doing actual damage without sneak attacks).

Telonius
2008-01-08, 10:35 AM
The small size, -4 STR, and -2 CON is going to sink any sort of a melee build that doesn't involve the word Druid. I'd suggest spellcasting of any kind.

nerulean
2008-01-08, 11:28 AM
Using the kobold that can be treated as tiny size on hide checks, make a caster of some description and remain out of sight at all times, completely immune to the common forms of magical detection because you aren't magically hidden. I did this with a sorcerer as a BBEG and the players just couldn't work out how the little thing was eluding their True seeing effects. They almost gave up and went home, leaving the world to perish, until one of them summoned a monster with the scent ability completely by coincidence.

Doresain
2008-01-10, 01:51 PM
its just that playing a small character as a melle tank is sort of fun...im doing that with said goblin now, (which makes me wonder why im continuing with this thread) and im the most powerful member in the group