PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Monk, needs help

sikyon
2008-01-07, 05:15 PM
This is my first attempt to homebrew something... if it works, I may stick it in a campaign. Suggestions? (Especially on efficient wording)

Monk
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat, Weapon Mastery, Inner Focus, Initiate Specialization, Monk Restrictions, Body

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Defense

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Mind

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Strike

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Ki Multiplier x2
6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|Expert Specialization
7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Greater Defense
8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Pure Body
9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Greater Strike
10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+7|Ki Multiplier x3
11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+7|Master Specialization
12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Ki Field

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Projected Ki Field

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+9|Wheel of Reincarnation

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Total Ki Control

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|
18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Near Nirvana

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|
20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Nirvana, Ascendancy[/table]
Alignment: Any Lawful or Any Neutral

Proficiency with no weapons or armor

1st Level:
Bonus feat: Weapon Proficiency on any 1 weapon, or Improved unarmed strikes.

(Ex) Weapon Mastery: Whenever the monk wields the weapon chosen(including unarmed strikes) for proficiency at first level, they may replace the normal damage and critical range of that weapon with that of another weapon which has the same range, reach, and type.

(Ex) Ki Focus: The monk may focus his or her soul into itself to gain a Ki focus. As a full round action, the monk may make a concentration check to gain an Ki Focus, and does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The DC of the check is 12. This DC cannot be increased, except by the following: If another creature is in an adjacent square, increase the DC by +2 for each creature. If another creature is in the same square, increase the DC by +4 for each creature. Only sentient creatures count towards this DC. At 5th level, obtaining the focus is a standard action. At 10th level, obtaining the focus is a move action. At 15th level, obtaining the focus is a swift action. At levels 1-5. the inner focus expires after rounds = monk level and must be gained again. At levels 6-10, the inner focus expires after minutes = monk level. At levels 11-15, the inner focus expires after hours = monk level. At levels 16 and higher, the inner focus never expires.

Monk Restrictions: A monk carrying any load greater than 1/4 her normal light load cannot use any of her supernatural or spell like monk abilities, and any monk carrying a load greater than 1/2 her light load cannot use any of her extraordinary abilities.

Initiate Specialization: The monk must specialize his or her Ki in a specific school, either Focused, Rapid, or Control. A monk does not gain the class features which are named as the non-specialized school.

(Ex)Focused Body: A monk may add her wisdom modifier excluding enhancement bonuses to her strength modifier as a Ki bonus.

(Ex)Rapid Body: A monk may add her wisdom modifier excluding enhancement bonuses to her dexterity modifier as a Ki bonus.

(Ex)Controlled Body: A monk may add her wisdom modifier excluding enhancement bonuses to her constitution modifier as a Ki bonus.

2nd Level:

(Ex)Focused Defense: A monk may add her wisdom modifier excluding enhancement bonuses to her AC as a as a Ki bonus.

(Ex)Rapid Defense: A monk's base movement speed increases by 50%.

(Ex)Controlled Defense: A monk does not provoke attacks of opportunity, but only when moving at regular speed.

3rd Level:

(Ex)Focused Mind: A monk may re-roll any save at a -4 modifier, but must accept the second result.

(Ex)Rapid Mind: A monk is unaffected by all illusion spells (including shadow evocation and greater shadow evocation).

(Ex)Controlled Mind: A monk is unaffected by all enchantment spells.

4th Level:

(Ex)Focused Strike: After a monk has made a successful hit, the monk may expend his or her ki focus to make an immediate attack against the same target, using the target's flat-footed AC. If the attack hits, the attack counts as a critical hit.

(Ex)Rapid Strike: After a monk has made a successful hit, the monk may expend his or her ki focus to make an additional immediate attack against the same target at a -2 attack modifier. If that attack hits, the monk may then make another additional immediate attack against the same target at an additional -2 attack modifier, for a total of -4. If that attack hits, then the monk may make another additional attack, and so forth, each time at a -2 attack modifier.

(Ex)Controlled Strike: After a monk has made a successful hit, the monk may expend his or her ki focus to immediately attempt to disarm, grapple or trip their opponent, or sunder their weapon, without provoking an attack of opportunity.

5th Level:

(Su)Ki Multiplier x2: As a full round action, the monk may expend his or her Ki Focus to empower her body with pure Ki. At the end of the round she adds her wisdom modifier excluding enhancement bonuses to strength, dexterity and constitution as a Ki bonus for 3 rounds

6th Level:

Expert Specialization: The monk may specialize in one other school, and gains monk (Ex) abilities of that school. However, treat the monk's effective level for this purpose as if it were her current monk level -5.

7th Level:

(Ex)Greater Focused Defense: A monk may add her wisdom modifier +3 to her AC as a Ki bonus. This ability replaces Focused Defense.

(Ex)Greater Rapid Defense: A monk's base movement speed doubles. This ability replaces Rapid Defense.

(Ex)Greater Controlled Defense: Anytime a monk would receive an attack of opportunity but be denied one due to a special ability, such as controlled defense, improved trip and even five foot steps, the monk instead may make an attack of opportunity (though the total number she may make per round does not change).

8th Level:

(Su) Pure body: The monk no longer needs to eat, breathe or drink, and is immune to all diseases and poisons.

9th Level:

(Ex) Greater Focused Strike: After a monk has made a successful hit, the monk may expend his or her ki focus to make an immediate attack against the same target, using the target's flat-footed AC. If the attack hits, the attack does half constitution damage instead of normal damage.

(Ex)Greater Rapid Strike: After a monk has made a successful hit, the monk may expend his or her ki focus to make an additional immediate attack against the same target at a -1 attack modifier. If that attack hits, the monk may then make another additional immediate attack against the same target at an additional -1 attack modifier, for a total of -2. If that attack hits, then the monk may make another additional attack, and so forth, each time at a -1 attack modifier.

(Ex)Greater Controlled Strike: After a monk has made a successful hit, the monk may expend his or her ki focus to immediately and automatically disarm, grapple or trip their opponent, or attempt to sunder your opponents weapon. If the monk chooses to sunder, she does so without provoking an attack of opportunity and automatically winning the opposed attack roll. If the monk chooses to grapple, she gains a +10 bonus in the grapple until she escapes the grapple or her opponent wins a grapple check.

10th Level:

(Su)Ki Multiplier x3: As Ki Multiplier x2, but adding one and a half times the wisdom modifier excluding enhancement bonuses.

11th Level:

Master Specialization: The monk may specialize in one other school, and gains monk (Ex) abilities of that school. However, treat the monk's effective level for this purpose as if it were her current monk level -10.

12th Level:

(Su)Ki Field: The monk gains the ability to project a Ki field around herself, resisting magics. As a swift action, the monk may expend her Ki Focus to project an antimagic field around herself in a shape conforming to her body, with a range 1 inch from her skin. It disables all of her other (Su) abilities and magic items. She may deactivate this field as a free action.

14th Level:

(Su) Projected Ki Field: The monk gains the ability to project her Ki field around both her and 1 other creater per 5 monk levels within sight, with Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/monk level).

15th Level:

(Su) Wheel of Reincarnation: If the monk dies, after one week she is affected by a reincarnate spell. She must return and does not loose a level (but her experience points are reset to the minimum required for her level). She remembers everything in her former life or lives (though not from lives before she achieved this ability). Her body is irrelevant and her original body cannot be restored, even with a wish or miracle spell (though deity magic might). Only deity magic can prevent this reincarnation from occurring.

16th Level:

(Su) Total Ki Control: As Ki Multiplier x2, but always on. Stacks with Ki multiplier x2 and Ki multiplier x3. She is also immune to all ability score loss (though any she has taken previously remains).

18th Level:

(Ex) Near Nirvana: The monk has almost reached Nirvana. Any roll of a natural 1 instead counts as a natural 20. She gains a +20 bonus to resist mind altering effects. The monk's alignment changes so that at least one part of it is neutral. Near-Nirvana is a once in a lifetime experience, and if she refuses to change her alignment then she does not get this ability. She must make the decision within 3 days of reaching level 18. Additionally, if she does not change her alignment then she does not get the Nirvana or Ascendancy ability at level 20. Nothing can change this, not even a wish spell. However, deity level magic will grant her another chance to alter her alignment and experience Near Nirvana again. After this experience, her alignment can not be changed except by deity magic and her Nirvana ability.

20th Level:

(Ex) Nirvana: The monk reaches Nirvana, the ultimate goal of all monks and life. Her body is no longer relevant, and only her spirit matters. She is immune to mind altering effects, and may re-roll any dice once (and accept whichever result she wishes). She no longer ages, and loses her wheel of reincarnation ability. If she is killed, she may return to any plane she wishes alive and without level loss after one week. In order to gain both this ability and Ascendancy, the monk's alignment must change to true neutral. Nirvana is a once in a lifetime experience, and if she refuses to change her alignment then she does not get this ability. She must make the decision within 1 day of receiving this option. Nothing can change this, not even a wish spell or deity level magic, and neither can give her a chance at this again. After this experience, her alignment can not be changed even by deity magic

(Ex) Ascendancy: The monk may expend her inner focus to plane shift herself only at will, with no inaccuracy. This is an extraordinary ability, and cannot be stopped by spells such as antimagic field or dimensional anchor (though can be stopped by deity magic). Furthermore the monk's type is native to all planes.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-07, 07:23 PM
Wheel of Reincarnation seems powerful. Free reincarnation at level 15, with no drawbacks?

Stycotl
2008-01-07, 09:02 PM
weapon mastery: extremely broad. i would narrow it down some. honestly, i would probably just choose a different mechanic. give the monk a bonus to hit or to damage, or some flashy trick or something. you'd have to explain your reasoning (fluff and mechanical) for allowing the monk to transmogrify weapon statistics like that.

aaron out.

sikyon
2008-01-07, 10:35 PM
weapon mastery: extremely broad. i would narrow it down some. honestly, i would probably just choose a different mechanic. give the monk a bonus to hit or to damage, or some flashy trick or something. you'd have to explain your reasoning (fluff and mechanical) for allowing the monk to transmogrify weapon statistics like that.

aaron out.

Monks don't just train with simple weapons and unarmed strikes. They train with any sort of weapon they want, to focus it as an extension of their body. In order to make proficiency with any weapon attractive, I figure it should be raised up to par with exotic weapons. They only get proficiency with 1 weapon, after all.

Reincarnation:

Perhaps too powerful. Any suggestions? They do lose XP back to the starting point of the level, though. I'm abit sketchy on giving level loss considering the near-nivana ability, and especially the restrictions on only getting the option once.

Stycotl
2008-01-07, 10:54 PM
awesome. i screwed the stupid quote thingy up and can't seem to figure out what i did to it...

you wrote:

Monks don't just train with simple weapons and unarmed strikes. They train with any sort of weapon they want, to focus it as an extension of their body. In order to make proficiency with any weapon attractive, I figure it should be raised up to par with exotic weapons. They only get proficiency with 1 weapon, after all.

I agree that monks train with any weapon they can get their hands on. i always thought that giving them only one simple weapon and a handful of subpar exotic weapons was a crappy attempt to balance a class that ended up underpowered anyway. but i still don't see how your mechanic fixes that.

i would give them simple+exotic weapons, and then a few exotic weapons (don't know how many off the top of my head).

or give them a somewhat warblade-esque mechanic that allows them to become proficient with any weapon that they hold in their hands for longer than 5 minutes, then cut their penalties down to almost nil for weapons in which they are not proficient, and then let them "master" in one or more of them, giving it as i said earlier, a bonus to hit, or to damage or some other fancy trick like +10 bazillion to confirm criticals or something.

Xuincherguixe
2008-01-07, 11:40 PM
One of the most flavorful Monk fixes.

sikyon
2008-01-08, 09:37 AM
awesome. i screwed the stupid quote thingy up and can't seem to figure out what i did to it...

you wrote:

I agree that monks train with any weapon they can get their hands on. i always thought that giving them only one simple weapon and a handful of subpar exotic weapons was a crappy attempt to balance a class that ended up underpowered anyway. but i still don't see how your mechanic fixes that.

i would give them simple+exotic weapons, and then a few exotic weapons (don't know how many off the top of my head).

or give them a somewhat warblade-esque mechanic that allows them to become proficient with any weapon that they hold in their hands for longer than 5 minutes, then cut their penalties down to almost nil for weapons in which they are not proficient, and then let them "master" in one or more of them, giving it as i said earlier, a bonus to hit, or to damage or some other fancy trick like +10 bazillion to confirm criticals or something.

Hmm interesting suggestion. I've never read the warblade entry (don't have the book) but it sounds pretty cool. I'm abit sketchy on proficiency with all weapons, but perhaps proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, as well as proficiency with all improvised weapons? I always thought that would be cool, using even a chair as a weapon. Alternativly I was thinking mastery in 1 weapon, but give them a fixed weapon stat for it. Like any improvised bashing weapon doing damage as a warhammer, any improvised slashing weapon doing damage as a longsword and any improvised piercing weapon doing damage as a halberd, or such.

One of the most flavorful Monk fixes.

Thanks :) I was going with abit of customization in class skills to start with, but convergence at 20th level.

sikyon
2008-01-08, 09:58 PM
This is just abit of shameless bumping, but I'd really like feedback on the three trees. I'd like to keep their power level about equal, but I'm not sure if they are.