PDA

View Full Version : SoD spoilers: black gem

Alex Warlorn
2008-01-07, 07:52 PM
Okay, remember the gem that Xykon used to imprison two of the souls of the order of the scribble? When Roy destroyed Xykon's original body, (and supposedly his original evil blue robe and evil red cape), did the black gem get destroyed too? Or at least when Elan blew up the entire dungeon and castle?

Kish
2008-01-07, 07:56 PM
Okay, remember the gem that Xykon used to imprison two of the souls of the order of the scribble? When Roy destroyed Xykon's original body, (and supposedly his original evil blue and evil red cape), did the black gem get destroyed too? Or at least when Elan blew up the entire dungeon and castle?
Not a chance. Rich wouldn't have introduced it just to handwave it away like that. If it was destroyed, we would have seen it being destroyed.

David Argall
2008-01-08, 02:07 AM
If it has plot utility, and I think it might just about now, it survived, and is likely in Team Evil possession.

One idea: Tsukiko will beat Haley and haul her in to Xykon. Instead of killing her, Xykon will want to hire her to get the black gem. He will explain that he needs to rebuild a gate at AC to prevent the Snarl from getting loose, and thus needs the advice of those who had done it before. So Haley will team up with Tsukiko, Belkar, Redcloak, Roy? and go fetch the gem.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

von Traube
2008-01-08, 02:54 AM
Well, Zyklon still had that headband of Dorukan which should have been destroyed in that "thrown in to Gate". So I dont belive that Black Gem is destroyed.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-08, 03:25 AM
Considering that it appears that he regenerated his robe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0191.html), I'd say his important magic items and plot tokens are also fair game.

Alternatively, the Gate didn't disintegrate his items, and Redcloak picked them up, or he kept the Onyx Gem, Headband, and spare robes stashed somewhere that RC could grab them. But that's less amusing than the idea of Xykon regenerating his clothing and pocket contents as if they were skin.

kpenguin
2008-01-08, 03:46 AM
It's in hammerspace.

SPoD
2008-01-08, 06:23 AM
Given that SOD was published just last summer and the original Gate incident was in, like, 2004, I would say that yes, there is definitely some plan for the gem.

If nothing else, it serves as a handy explanation for the question, "Why doesn't Durko just resurrect Dorukan and Lirian and ask them to build new Gates? Or pop over to their afterlife and ask them using Plane Shift?"

monty
2008-01-11, 12:04 AM
It's in hammerspace.

But then how could they ever use it? I mean, since they can't touch it.
STOP!

Icewalker
2008-01-11, 01:00 AM
Zyklon

You did that intentionally.

Or I may have to go bang my head against the wall.

Yeah, I think it is too important of a plot item to toss away, but that Haley + evil to find gem theory seems pretty far-fetched...

David Argall
2008-01-11, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I think it is too important of a plot item to toss away, but that Haley + evil to find gem theory seems pretty far-fetched...

Our writer has said that nothing in SoD will affect the strip. So that makes any idea of using the gem suspect. He should violate that edic if he gets a good idea, but his basic idea is that SoD suppliments the strip, not provides plot elements. There are not to be footnotes on confusing points saying "See SoD".

As to far-fetched, do we have a different type of idea around here?"

The Extinguisher
2008-01-11, 02:04 AM
Obviously it will be explained if it's used.

T-O-E
2008-01-11, 11:45 AM
Our writer has said that nothing in SoD will affect the strip. So that makes any idea of using the gem suspect. He should violate that edic if he gets a good idea, but his basic idea is that SoD suppliments the strip, not provides plot elements. There are not to be footnotes on confusing points saying "See SoD".

As to far-fetched, do we have a different type of idea around here?"

I think some devices used in Sod will return. Such as Redcloak's mysterious daughter Haley/Therkla/Thog/Mr Scruffy.

Kurald Galain
2008-01-11, 01:18 PM
Our writer has said that nothing in SoD will affect the strip. So that makes any idea of using the gem suspect.

I don't think it does, actually.

We've had the story of who Dorukan and Lirian were in the main strip. We also know Xykon defeated one, and Redcloak had something to do with the destruction of Lirian's gate (which, assumedly, means Lirian got killed). From that, it's not much of a stretch to think that Xykon has their souls trapped, since yes, he is that evil.

All SOD does is show it out loud. There shouldn't be plot events in the main comic that don't make sense unless you know SOD (arguably that includes Therkla), but showing background events of things that already make sense is precisely what SOD is for.

monty
2008-01-11, 07:38 PM
All SOD does is show it out loud. There shouldn't be plot events in the main comic that don't make sense unless you know SOD (arguably that includes Therkla), but showing background events of things that already make sense is precisely what SOD is for.

Ok, I have to ask. What does Therkla have to do with SoD? If you say Redcloak's niece, I will kick you through the internet, such will be my rage.

Antamar
2008-01-12, 10:30 PM
Our writer has said that nothing in SoD will affect the strip.

Actually, he's said that if anything in SoD were to affect the strip, he would provide a short exposition on it in the strip were it is reintroduced.

ChaosDefender24
2008-01-12, 10:56 PM
If the gem were destroyed, that means that the souls go free, right?

Then the duo would be able to go back into business, which would have a great impact on the story as :xykon: has to face the same slew of ultra-powerful foes.

FujinAkari
2008-01-12, 11:05 PM
Our writer has said that nothing in SoD will affect the strip.

You are misremembering what the author said. Rich has said "Reading the prequel books will not be required to understand anything in the main strip." All that means is that the gem will have to be re-introduced in order to affect the main strip, potentially by someone -else's- soul being locked away, not that it CAN'T ever appear in the main strip.

DreadSpoon
2008-01-13, 12:03 AM
If the gem were destroyed, that means that the souls go free, right?

Maybe. Or maybe it would destroy the souls along with it, and releasing them safely instead requires some other method.

Granted, given the general tone and comic-ness of OOTS, I'm guessing it's not something that a lot of thought will be given to by the main characters. Roy smash puny gem!! ;)

monty
2008-01-13, 02:36 AM
Assuming it's a Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) spell, destroying the gem frees the souls. Of course, since I haven't read SoD, that's just a guess. Feel free to correct me if I'm clearly wrong. If you just think I'm wrong and don't have any evidence to the contrary, though, don't correct me, because that annoys me.

Kish
2008-01-13, 08:54 AM
Assuming it's a Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) spell, destroying the gem frees the souls. Of course, since I haven't read SoD, that's just a guess. Feel free to correct me if I'm clearly wrong. If you just think I'm wrong and don't have any evidence to the contrary, though, don't correct me, because that annoys me.
It's Soul Bind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Soulbind.htm), evidence being Xykon saying "Soul Bind."

Juron Pilo
2008-01-13, 09:42 AM
Hey, loophole. Soul Bind requires the gem and nothing else(well, other an unspecified components), and the gem isn't destroyed. That means that the spell can be cast recursively using the same gem. You could buy a really expensive gem and then use soul bind in every confrontation. Nothing says you can't reuse the gem.

edit: of course, power word kill is somewhat better at the same level.

Debatable really, with the 100 hp restriction thing on power word

Kish
2008-01-13, 09:56 AM
Soul Bind requires the target to be at -10 hit points, is that better than 100 hit points for Power Word: Kill? But yes, Xykon put both their souls in the same gem.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-01-13, 10:38 AM
TWO things were probably left behind at the Dungeon of Durokan:
The Black Gem
Zombie Right Eye

Redcloak fled for the tunnels with Xykon's phylactery, and while everything left in the dungeon and castle SHOULD have been crushed, it doesn'e mean that everything WAS crushed.

I sort of have an image in my mind of a zombie hand thrusting up through the ground, gem in hand. :smalleek:

Another thing that comes to mind is that the D of D gate was physically the largest. Perhaps Xykon is using all his power to open the Azure City gate further, but finally gives up because he needs a bigger opening.

Most people are assuming Kraagor's Gate will be the final adventure, but this story may well come full circle back to Dorukan's Gate.

monty
2008-01-13, 12:40 PM
It's Soul Bind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Soulbind.htm), evidence being Xykon saying "Soul Bind."

Ok, but that spell also states that destroying the gem frees the souls, so my point stands.

David Argall
2008-01-13, 04:06 PM
Another thing that comes to mind is that the D of D gate was physically the largest. Perhaps Xykon is using all his power to open the Azure City gate further, but finally gives up because he needs a bigger opening.
A-the AC Gate has been destroyed. It does not exist. What is present is the rift in reality.
B-Xykon needs a gate, not the rift.
C-The larger the rift, the more danger to Xykon. He might be trying to reduce it, but not to expand it.

Most people are assuming Kraagor's Gate will be the final adventure, but this story may well come full circle back to Dorukan's Gate.
Possible, but more likely it will be the desert and then the monsters.

Uncle Festy
2008-01-13, 04:31 PM
Um, the gate is already growing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0510.html) (see the last panel). Whether that's Xykon's doing or not is debatable.

Ertier
2008-01-13, 04:56 PM
I think Right-Eye ain't finished yet... Perhaps Redcloak killed zombie Right-Eye then re-animated him as some freakish free-thinking undead (I want to say Vampire) who now has the gem with Liran and Dorukan's souls in them. He may pop up soon too because we need another thinly veiled Deus ex Machina.

Joran
2008-01-13, 05:05 PM
Um, the gate is already growing (see the last panel). Whether that's Xykon's doing or not is debatable.

That's not the Gate, that's a rift.

A Gate would be the sapphire that Miko shattered or the gate that Roy threw Xykon into.

The difference being that Xykon can use a gate, but not a rift.

The_Evil_One
2008-01-13, 05:24 PM
But then how could they ever use it? I mean, since they can't touch it.
STOP!

That's hammertime. Totally different concept.

monty
2008-01-13, 06:11 PM
That's hammertime. Totally different concept.

Yes, but MC Einstein showed us that hammerspace and hammertime are actually just different aspects of the same thing, so an object in either one cannot be touched.

AlterForm
2008-01-13, 06:20 PM
Yes, but MC Einstein showed us that hammerspace and hammertime are actually just different aspects of the same thing, so an object in either one cannot be touched.

OH SNAP. You've been served!

TheNovak
2008-01-13, 06:28 PM
I'd bet a good amount of money that, at some point, Xykon's going to think to check his pockets for his keys, and find a little black gemstone instead.