PDA

View Full Version : Claws of the Beast (XPH) and other natural attacks?

SadisticFishing
2008-01-07, 08:04 PM
Hi, simple question, I keep seeing builds that use Claws of the Beast and other natural attacks to attack a lot each round, but the Claws clearly says:

"If you attack with a manufactured weapon or another natural attack, you can’t make any claw attacks in that round. You can still hold and manipulate items with your claws or cast spells just as well as you could with your hands."

Are they reading it wrong? Or am I?

Thanks!

Azerian Kelimon
2008-01-07, 08:16 PM
That's the whole point. King of smack builds use a lot of NATURAL attacks to fight, not weapon attacks.

SadisticFishing
2008-01-07, 08:22 PM
"If you attack with a manufactured weapon or another natural attack"

Still confused >_<

Azerian Kelimon
2008-01-07, 08:28 PM
Anything in the rules against clawing first and attacking with other naturals later?

SadisticFishing
2008-01-07, 08:33 PM
The way it's worded is ambiguous, but that's a rather cheesy way to read it.

Icewalker
2008-01-07, 08:33 PM
That sounds like an RAW as opposed to RAI loophole

Azerian Kelimon
2008-01-07, 08:39 PM
That was optimizer thinking. And in any case, didn't King of Smack builds look for a way to get NATURAL claw attacks without powers and upgrade them with buffs?

Lemur
2008-01-07, 08:44 PM
Note that if we're talking about the King of Smack, the build doesn't really focus on getting lots of natural attacks beyond what the Rapidstrike feats provide, but instead focuses on boosting the amount of damage dice the claw provides. The build has no real use for other kinds of natural attacks.

I have to admit I don't think I've seen any builds that use claws of the beast and lots of other natural attacks, so I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to. I have seen an Incarnum-based natural attacker by Fax Celestis, but the natural attacks gained through that are claw attacks, and wouldn't interfere with claws of the beast, as they're all the same sort of natural attack.

SadisticFishing
2008-01-07, 08:52 PM
I believe the one post I actually saw on it was just misinformed, and the rest were me misreading.

Sorry

Fax Celestis
2008-01-08, 11:58 AM
I have to admit I don't think I've seen any builds that use claws of the beast and lots of other natural attacks, so I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to. I have seen an Incarnum-based natural attacker by Fax Celestis, but the natural attacks gained through that are claw attacks, and wouldn't interfere with claws of the beast, as they're all the same sort of natural attack.

That'd be the Pauper of Smack. :smallbiggrin: