PDA

View Full Version : Will belkar save haley?

ABB
2008-01-07, 10:33 PM
It looks bad for haley, a critical hit on a sneak attack. Also Tsukiko seems to hate her personally.

With the paladin dominated and no other significant characters in play, it may fall to belkar to save haley, but if he does that damned MoJ kicks in.

Personally I hope he does whack tsukiko, or at least drive her off, and gets a load of XP for saving a comrade even tho it meant taking harm to himself and defeating a serious threat.

Also I think it would be funny to see belkar commit one good act in the series. (Well, besides amusing shojo's cat with a string.)

I also wonder how haley would feel seeing belkar suffering for saving her.

Worira
2008-01-07, 10:40 PM
Critical hit on a sneak attack? What are you talking about? Nothing suggests that Haley got a critical(and if she had, she'd be in less trouble, not more), and Tsukiko doesn't have sneak attack.

Icewalker
2008-01-07, 11:23 PM
I believe he is using 'sneak attack' in the colloquial sense instead of dnd terminology. In which case his post makes sense, but I still think it is not likely. Belkar wouldn't do that for Haley, probably. Or anyone...

Lunaya
2008-01-07, 11:40 PM
I was wondering about this myself. I have a feeling that Belkar will show up at the opportune moment, but I'm not sure exactly how he will save the day. It would be pretty cool if he saved Haley at risk to himself.

monty
2008-01-08, 12:20 AM
THAT is for forcing me perform a quasi-Good act!

Typos are fun.

Schala
2008-01-08, 12:25 AM
I think that he will save Haley. Not to actually save her and do a good thing but to get the XP off of killing Tsukiko.

And because killing things is fun. :smallbiggrin:

Lunaya
2008-01-08, 12:41 AM
Whatever happens, I'm pretty sure that we will see firsthand what the Mark of Justice really does.

Oberon
2008-01-08, 12:51 AM
No, No, No, No, NO!

Well, maybe.

Balathustrius
2008-01-08, 02:40 AM
I bet he does help her, only to discover that the Mark of Justice was fake all along. Betcha.

Tempest Fennac
2008-01-08, 02:47 AM
That is a possibility (having said that, why would Shojo only bother with a fake mark when he could have probably used a real one?).

Shawnis
2008-01-08, 02:50 AM
I bet he does help her, only to discover that the Mark of Justice was fake all along. Betcha.

I agree...I think the MoJ is to keep Belkar in line.

Migodnar
2008-01-08, 06:20 AM
Is Belkar likes anyone in the team it's Haley and Elan, probably because they are both Chaotic, so I think he will save Haley because we already saw him risking his neck to save Elan once (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0157.html) and also because he isn't that dumb, if Haley is killed and he is all alone he wouldn't be able to defend himself against a mere hobgoblin.

Felixaar
2008-01-08, 06:53 AM
I think Belkar will help Haley too, since she's kinda got no other options. Also, Belkar saved Hinjo because he knew he'd need his help later on and with Haley gone Belkar would be pretty much done for as well.

Silfir
2008-01-08, 07:09 AM
Belkar has lots of undead to kill in that battle. I a one-on-one fight, Haley should be able to take on Tsukiko.

Alfryd
2008-01-08, 07:42 AM
With the paladin dominated and no other significant characters in play, it may fall to belkar to save haley, but if he does that damned MoJ kicks in.
Why bother? Belkar can just use Hide and Move Silently to flee the scene with whatever he came for.

Belkar has lots of undead to kill in that battle. I a one-on-one fight, Haley should be able to take on Tsukiko.
Haley's only real option was to take out Tsukiko fast using her Sneak Attacks. She's going to run out of magic arrows a lot faster than Tsukiko was going to run out of spontaneous cure spells. Haley should've taken the hint once her openign attack failed.

However, in the event that Belkar does intervene, he can always use his ranks in Jump to grapple Tsukiko and prevent her casting more spells. He may even be able to force her to thr ground. Haley would stand a much better chance then.

Gilthans
2008-01-08, 07:47 AM
I guarantee you all, based on the rules of storytelldom, that Belkar will exit the granary with means to rescue Haley, weather by defeating Tsukiko (though not killing her. I doubt Belkar will repeat his mistake (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html)) or by providing a viable escape route.
This considering that Tsukiko has no reason to capture Haley alive (that we know of), and that if not rescued, Haley will be killed.

I actually favor the Tsukiko defeat theory. Any hints on what Belkar might have found there?

FujinAkari
2008-01-08, 07:59 AM
Haley's only real option was to take out Tsukiko fast using her Sneak Attacks. She's going to run out of magic arrows a lot faster than Tsukiko was going to run out of spontaneous cure spells.

Tsukiko, being evil, cannot cast cure spells spontaneously. Only good and some neutral clerics can do that.

Alfryd
2008-01-08, 08:04 AM
Tsukiko, being evil, cannot cast cure spells spontaneously. Only good and some neutral clerics can do that.
Ooh. Good point.

I actually favor the Tsukiko defeat theory. Any hints on what Belkar might have found there?
Oh, of course haley will get out alive. She's integral to Elan's happy ending.
Lucky bastard.

Khanderas
2008-01-08, 09:00 AM
Mark of justice wont have to be triggered.
Enough undeads to take out. Once they are down, things are severly easier for Hayley.

Mordeus_Dire
2008-01-08, 09:06 AM
Oh Belkar WILL help. Because if he doesn't and Haley gets killed, he's left having to lead the rag-tag bunch of rebels, and that's he job he would not want.
Of course, he could refuse, but then he's stuck alone in a hostile city unable to defend himself against living foes. Even he knows he'd be screwed in that situation.

Save the day? I doubt it. Hack and slash a dozen undead wights? Oh yes indeed!

Ave
2008-01-08, 09:24 AM
There is XP in those wights, so Belkar will do all to claim it.
The paladin can snap out of domination right at the point when Tsukiko feels victorious.

Drekhan
2008-01-08, 10:15 AM
I wonder if there's some kind of loop hole in MoJ?

If he's performing a heroic act (even for the wrong reason) or something along those lines it won't activate.

Barbolanero
2008-01-08, 10:20 AM
Probably just going to take on the wights, maybe tackle Tsukiko, and definetly save Hayley.

Kish
2008-01-08, 10:20 AM

If he's performing a heroic act (even for the wrong reason) or something along those lines it won't activate.
If that kind of specification was possible, the Mark would just prevent Belkar from doing anything evil. We've been told exactly what the Mark does. There are grey areas in terms of "what constitutes a city?" and "what constitutes Belkar inflicting the damage?" but none at all in terms of "what if Belkar inflicts lethal damage on a particular type of living creature?"

dish
2008-01-08, 10:33 AM

I doubt it. But, as mentioned above, he still has a lot of wights to kill.

chibibar
2008-01-08, 10:59 AM
only TWO targets Belkar cannot attack, the paladin, and tsukiko. So...... Belkar can help and take out the wights. This will allow Haley to take on Tsukiko and the paladin and hope for reinforcement to arrive.

Drivort
2008-01-08, 11:08 AM
Just as some people mentioned already, there are wights to take care of, which he is perfectly for; either way, do not forget what he said before he went off into the granary: If it is, what he thinks, it should be worth the risk.

Well, of course it might also be possible for that thing to NOT be what he thought it was, but Im quite sure Haley will somehow escape. Highly unlikely, but what if belkar casts spells or summons his animal companion? :smalltongue:

DirewolfX
2008-01-08, 12:19 PM
Nah, :roy: will show up to help, having been raised by Helga, who also animated an undead :miko:. Also, they will be assisted by a demonic cockroach with class levels in Blackguard.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-08, 12:33 PM
Belkar can still provide a flanking partner. You don't have to deal any damage to threaten a creature.

As for Dominate Person, funny thing about that is that you don't get a new saving throw unless the caster doesn't use an action to concentrate on it once per day, or the caster tries to force you to do something that you would be opposed to. I think Rich covered that when he had the paladin say his line about thieves.

Hopeless
2008-01-08, 05:33 PM
Hmm, didn't they say he could only do non-lethal damage to living foes?

There's nothing to stop him throwing say a Thunderstone or tanglefoot bags to turn the tide, the tanglefoot bags might work better as even those undead would be effected and Reflex might be their worst save (please correct me if I'm wrong here) I wonder if that would allow Haley to escape but where would that leave Thanh?

I suspect Belkar will pull off something entirely unexpected you know a bit like throwing pineapples at undead for example!

Still what could he have found in that granary?

drunkmonk
2008-01-08, 07:51 PM
What do you normally find in a granary? Rats. What do you normally find around rats? Cats.

I think Belkar is going to get an animal companion. Mr. Scruffy will save the day!!! Cat + 4 HD, +2 str/dex = one kick butt kitty.

DM

memnarch
2008-01-08, 08:34 PM
Who's to say that a granary only has grain and animals? There very well could have been something else in there, like maybe a secret storage area (of sorts) :smalltongue:

drunkmonk
2008-01-08, 09:30 PM
Did you just stick your blue slobbery little tongue out at me?

DM

Flying Platypus
2008-01-08, 09:33 PM
I think Belkar will save Haley no matter what. For the above reasons and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html) acording to the list Haley is under the lust section...
I also want to add that the MoJ is magic, though what it does could be disputed (I doubt it), because :vaarsuvius: used detect magic on Belkar when the MoJ was first put on.
I think it would be cool for :belkar: to have an animal companion, but I think it's rather out of charecter. If he could get XP of a companion, then I could see that, but otherwise i doubt it.
I'm inclined to believe that somthing more dramatic than Belkar killing some wrights needs to happen. The way the comic is set up sugests that Haley is at a disidvantage. A rouge vs. a wizard/sorcerer/magic user of some kind I would bet on Tsukiko, espicaly with a palidin to heal her.

mb52
2008-01-08, 11:22 PM
I bet what he seen, was only a gold coin or something. But, he will be the one to save the day, killing the wights.

no one special
2008-01-08, 11:43 PM
it is highly unlikely that :belkar: would do anything heroic for any reason other than for his own amusement/blood lust, so he might kill off the wights, but only 'cus he wants/needs the XP he would get.

Alair
2008-01-09, 12:18 AM
I'm going to go with Belkar spotting Mr. Scruffy in the grain house too. It doesn't seem like a very likely place to be storing valuable scrolls or magical weapons but it does seem like a very natural place for a cat to drift now that paladins are no longer feeding it.

ABB
2008-01-09, 12:43 AM
I think belkar might save haley just because he sort of likes her after all this time. I mean, even evil types like to have at least a few friends here and there.

monty
2008-01-09, 12:46 AM
Right. Nothing in the Evil description prevents you from having friends. Being Good is not a prerequisite for a relationship. Plus, there's the whole lust thing.

David Argall
2008-01-09, 01:31 AM
I guarantee you all, based on the rules of storytelldom, that Belkar will exit the granary with means to rescue Haley, weather by defeating Tsukiko
How often have we been fooled in such cases in thinking the obvious would happen? The figure is distinctly high. So since it is obvious that Belkar will come to the rescue, he won't. [Actually my prediction is that he will, and both of them will be captured, but not killed, but that is still a failure of Belkar to rescue Haley.]

Taken. If it were a fake, Roy would have told Belkar back in the throne room when Miko was about to attack Belkar.

Alfryd
2008-01-09, 02:41 AM
I think Rich covered that when he had the paladin say his line about thieves.
I dunno. There's nothing in the Dominate Person spell description that says "the subject's intelligence score drops like a rock."

Right. Nothing in the Evil description prevents you from having friends. Being Good is not a prerequisite for a relationship. Plus, there's the whole lust thing.
Belkar also had no vehement objection to butchering Haley personally and looting her corpse for magic items, according to the terms and conditions of the Charm Person spell. I sincerely doubt he will hesitate to leave her in the dust should this prove to be in his best private interests.

Lunaya
2008-01-09, 05:50 AM
What do you normally find in a granary? Rats. What do you normally find around rats? Cats.

I think Belkar is going to get an animal companion. Mr. Scruffy will save the day!!! Cat + 4 HD, +2 str/dex = one kick butt kitty.

DM
I think somebody has the gift of foresight. :smallwink: Yay, Belkar! :smallcool:

dehro
2008-01-09, 07:29 AM
yay...mr. Scruffy FTW!!

Migodnar
2008-01-09, 08:02 AM
I thought you guys were joking about the Mr. Scruffy thing....
._.

monty
2008-01-09, 09:46 AM
YES!!! Mr. Scruffy's Back!!!

That was absolutely awesome.

Ave
2008-01-09, 10:26 AM
I thought you guys were joking about the Mr. Scruffy thing....
._.

That was deadly serious :)
But Tsukiko isn't beaten yet.