PDA

View Full Version : Farstrike Enchantment: How's this?

Talanic
2008-01-08, 01:51 AM
The intent of this is to add an enchantment to weapons normally only used in melee that allows them to strike at range. Is it too powerful, too weak, or okay? Are there any loopholes that I didn't close? I'm intending to put this on a weapon of legacy that the party I run already has, but they haven't discovered its traits (and they're definitely eager!)

Edit: A few wording changes; now lesser farstrike actually DOES something :smallsmile:. I'm not certain if we should allow attacks of opportunity or cleave attacks on non-adjacent foes, but I suspect the rules for cover would prevent it from being too overpowering. Also, I disallowed charges because it would effectively negate readying weapons vs charge and make the whole shock trooper + heedless charge + whatever combo a bit too powerful, as the player's turn would end outside normal melee range, making the severe AC penalty ineffective.

Lesser Farstrike

The enchanted weapon is treated as a reach weapon with a range of 5' longer than prior to enchantment, but it can still strike adjacent foes. The bearer of the weapon does not threaten additional squares and must pay attention to normal rules for ranged attacks into melee. Attacks still require line of sight and the target is granted cover by any intervening objects. This enchantment does not increase the number of viable targets for a whirlwind attack or other similar ability. This ability does not function when performing a charge action.

Minor evocation; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Mordenkainen's Sword; Price +1 bonus.

Farstrike

As Lesser Farstrike, but with a range increase of 10' total. A weapon with Lesser Farstrike can be upgraded directly to Farstrike by a capable crafter, for the appropriate cost. As normal, the weapon's total effective bonus can not exceed +10.

Moderate evocation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Mordenkainen's Sword; Price +2 bonus.

Greater Farstrike

As Lesser Farstrike, but with range increase of 15' total. A weapon with Lesser Farstrike or Farstrike can be upgraded directly to Greater Farstrike by a capable crafter, for the appropriate cost. As normal, the weapon's total effective bonus can not exceed +10.

Strong evocation; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Mordenkainen's Sword; Price +3 bonus.

Stycotl
2008-01-09, 09:35 PM
interesting. i made some kind of enchantment that was similar last year, but can't even remember what it was or how it worked. i may have to dig it up...

anyway, looks good to me. though i do not see the reason why the creature wouldn't threaten the new squares that he can assault into. i suppose for the cost though, it is balanced. maybe make another version that actually threatens those squares, and make it a +2, +3, +4 cost. just a thought.

Tyonisius
2008-01-09, 09:41 PM
interesting. i made some kind of enchantment that was similar last year, but can't even remember what it was or how it worked. i may have to dig it up...

anyway, looks good to me. though i do not see the reason why the creature wouldn't threaten the new squares that he can assault into. i suppose for the cost though, it is balanced. maybe make another version that actually threatens those squares, and make it a +2, +3, +4 cost. just a thought.

I +1 this, except that instead of making another version, I'd just change this one.

Fiery Diamond
2008-01-10, 12:51 AM
Two things. Well, three.

1) up all the ranges by five feet. Why? Melee is a 5 ft range. I guess you've been giving all those 10 ft range increment items an extra five feet in practice, huh?

2) I agree with Tyonisius

3) the concept reminds me of the wind swords in Fire Emblem, which I like

-Fiery Diamond

Stycotl
2008-01-10, 01:42 AM
good catch on the ranges, diamond. i was wondering what it was about the wording that bothered me...

Darke
2008-01-10, 06:40 AM
would this affect a character's great cleavage cleave feat?

TheLogman
2008-01-10, 10:55 AM
Well, it would allow them to take more advantage of it.

Prometheus
2008-01-10, 01:29 PM
A longspear with even regular Farstrike could tear up a battlefield with Great Cleave or Whirlwind attack (not that anyone uses it anyway). Of course, there is the first level spell Blood Wind from Spell Compendium that lets you make an attack against each foe as if your attacks had a 20ft range increment, so even Greater Farstrike can't be too gamebreaking. I say it is fair.