PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosts

Amotis
2008-01-08, 02:18 AM
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good service/server/company that will host a web page for me and I'm willing to pay a small (5-10 dollars) monthly fee for this. I know more then a few of you have personal websites and I was wonder who you went through. Something reliable, customizable url without a company name on it, decent space, user friendly enough for people with little or no experience in web site creation can handle it, etc. But I do realize that I'm setting myself up for paying only a small amount so right now I'm just looking for what's out there. Thanks.

SMEE
2008-01-08, 05:25 AM
Are you willing to host your own domain name, or a sub domain would do it?

What kind of resources do you need? Do you prefer a Linux based server or a Windows one would do?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-01-08, 05:37 AM
http://www.purelightt.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/spider-web-1a.jpg

For good webhosting I would try to get a place between two trees or such. *nods wisely*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-08, 08:03 AM
For subhosting, I think a Wikispace might be what you want...

*wanders of to history class complaining about slow pc's on school*

Gem Flower
2008-01-08, 08:10 AM
If I understood you properly, you can try www.piczo.com (free) or www.freewebs.com (also free). With piczo your website name would look something like www.[insert website name].piczo.com. With freewebs it would look like www.freewebs.com/[insert website name]. I believe although I'm not completely positive that freewebs web sites can come up on Google, but I'd have to check. I don't knoiw anything about piczo in that area.

Ahem. I have apparently created links. Oh well.

Reinboom
2008-01-08, 09:00 AM
1and1.com
Also, depending on what you do, I can give you free webspace, and get you a domain name.
For.. like... 10$ a year? :smalltongue: (for the domain name, that is, might be cheaper - haven't checked in awhile)

Once again, depending on what you want to do.

valadil
2008-01-08, 09:36 AM
I've been happy with DreamHost (http://dreamhost.com). Been with them for about a year without major complaints. If you're interested in doing some intense web apps, their service is probably too slow for you, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I use it for a couple drupal based sites, some wikis, a bunch of subdomain forwarding, a couple php/mysql sites, and a few random scripts.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-01-08, 08:08 PM
I used godaddy.com for a project I did my last year of college, and if you sign up for a domain with them, they have links and such for hosting too. I think I paid around $15 or so for mine.

Raiser Blade
2008-01-08, 08:39 PM
I used godaddy.com for a project I did my last year of college, and if you sign up for a domain with them, they have links and such for hosting too. I think I paid around $15 or so for mine.

The godaddy commercials are annoying. :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

The Valiant Turtle
2008-01-08, 11:01 PM
I have been through a few webhosts and am currently quite happy using hostgator.com. I just checked and they have a plan that's $4.95/month. The wolvesitp site in my sig is hosted there (among a few others that I diligently neglect as least as much as that one).

Amotis
2008-01-09, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all the options people.

I'm thinking of hosting my own name, not sub. Also looking at windows. Which is why I have to pass on hostgator, which looked nice but only has linux hosting.

What kind of resources? I'm not exactly sure what that entails but basically I'll be hosting two webcomics, a blog, and uploading mp3/midi/pdf files.

SMEE
2008-01-09, 05:42 AM
Well, I can offer you windows hosting for free.

Catch up with me later today at AIM so we can talk about it.
I'm kinda busy right now at work.