PDA

View Full Version : Tarot Master [working title, Base Class, suggestions welcome]

Enlong
2008-01-08, 11:26 PM
OK, so for a while, I've had this idea floating around: a mage-type character whose power comes from the 22 trump cards of a Tarot Deck, otherwise known as the Major Arcana. My general idea is to be a mage who, in addition to the power to cast certain divinations by consulting the cards, uses a deck of tarot as magical foci. He would prepare spells and other powers by charging the cards with magical power each day, placing each one right-side-up or reversed to get different powers, for example, if he used The Sun right-side up at the beginning, he could prepare spells based on light and flame (Daylight, Fireball, Sunburst), but a reversed The Sun would net him color-based magic (the various Prismatic spells) for the day. Other powers instead of spells are available, such as The Magician either allowing him Sudden metamagic feats and other magical augmentations, or reversed to deal with dispelling and countering magic.
He would have a pool of points he uses each day to charge the cards, with different spells and abilities having unique point counts.
I could use some input as to weather my ideas could work, mechanically, and what powers to give to the various cards, if you would be so kind as to help a bit. I'll have more detailed ideas up later tomorrow.

In case you want to know, Here's information on the Tarot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot), and the names of the cards, from 0 to 21, are as follows:

The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor, The Hierophant, The Lovers, The Chariot, Strength, The Hermit, Wheel of Fortune, Justice, The Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, The Devil, The Tower, The Star, The Moon, The Sun, Judgement, and The World.

SilentNight
2008-01-08, 11:38 PM
Do you want it to be a full caster of something more like the Warlock? You could give them some luck based abilities and the power to curse their foes.(Tarot is about that right?) If you hae access to Dragon #348 they have a bunch of variant curses.
You could also look at the Tarot variant of the deck of many things for effects.

Enlong
2008-01-08, 11:56 PM
Well, each card has its own meanings, which could key thematically with its powers. Reversing the card could alter or reverse its power theme. I think that the power source would be sort of like a wizard? But almost like a psion? You choose which position the card is to be in and how many points go into it. Each card can be used until you've used up its charges for the day; bigger things cost more. Also, you could use your personal deck as a whole to cast Augry or variations thereof on an X/day, as a way to work in the fortune-telling aspect.

edit: found the fortune-telling meanings (http://www.paranormality.com/tarot_meanings.shtml). The card has certain meanings upright and the opposite meanings reversed, I see. I'll have to look into how each card can be used later.

Archangel Yuki
2008-01-09, 12:40 AM
Maybe you could grant certain changes based on a "Persona Card" that you choose each day. Each day, you pick a personal card from the deck that grants special abilities for 24 hours.
Immunties to poison, constant effect true sight, stuf like that. Maybe have it scale towards later levels? So at a higher level you can have better abilities, so like initally something can provide a +2 to spot checks and then once full power is alloted you can gain like true sight, ext.
Bonus CL on spells based on what you choose, things like that. I might actually write up some rules for some cards later if you like this idea; its just that it is late right now and I don't want to have to research on tarot cards this late in the evening.
Also, i remember somewhere in the back of my mind that there are multipule types of Tarot decks...might be wrong though.

Xefas
2008-01-09, 12:56 AM
Maybe you could grant certain changes based on a "Persona Card" that you choose each day. Each day, you pick a personal card from the deck that grants special abilities for 24 hours.
Immunties to poison, constant effect true sight, stuf like that. Maybe have it scale towards later levels? So at a higher level you can have better abilities, so like initally something can provide a +2 to spot checks and then once full power is alloted you can gain like true sight, ext.

I'm working on something similar at the moment. I can post it here when I'm done if Enlong is okay with it. Otherwise, I can make a separate thread.

Will probably take me a few days, though...

Enlong
2008-01-09, 06:49 AM
I'm working on something similar at the moment. I can post it here when I'm done if Enlong is okay with it. Otherwise, I can make a separate thread.

Will probably take me a few days, though...

I'm fine with you posting it here. So long as a class with these theme gets done, I'm good with you making your own.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-09, 08:29 PM
Funny, that. I'm working on quite possibly the same (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Cartomancer) thing (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Cartomancy). The only thing left to do is the cards (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Nanalima_Set)...and really, that's where my slowdown is. I'd appreciate help, if anyone wants to give it.

Enlong
2008-01-09, 08:50 PM
Ah, yes. I remember now. That's where I got the idea (I do not mean to steal ideas from you, really. What I put up here so far has been independent choices). I am curious as to where you're getting the Levantine Set you're talking about with this thing, though. Where do those cards come from? I was looking at the more classical tarot, shown up higher, and have never seen the Levantine. Did you come up with them yourself?

I could certainly help with card ideas for your class, as soon as I read what you've got. Perhaps I should change the title of the thread to reflect this?

Edit: Just came up with an idea for a Wheel of Fortune spell, one of the face-up ones.

Seal Fate
Abjuration
Base DC: 30
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
Effect: Seal Fate ensures that the creature in question does not find any way to cheat death. The creature must have died within 1 round of using this spell. The soul of the dead creature cannot be returned through clone, raise dead, reincarnation, resurrection, true resurrection, or even a miracle or a wish. However, their soul remains free to go the afterlife, they are simply barred from ever returning to life.
Effect Increment: For each 6 points you increase the DC by, the number of rounds allowed between the use of this spell and the creature's death increases by 1, and its effective level increases by 1.

Sort of the polar opposite of Revify, used to ensure a creature's fate, rather then cheating fate.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-09, 09:00 PM
Ah, yes. I remember now. That's where I got the idea (I do not mean to steal ideas from you, really. What I put up here so far has been independent choices). I am curious as to where you're getting the Levantine Set you're talking about with this thing, though. Where do those cards come from? I was looking at the more classical tarot, shown up higher, and have never seen the Levantine. Did you come up with them yourself?

I could certainly help with card ideas for your class, as soon as I read what you've got. Perhaps I should change the title of the thread to reflect this?

I did make up the set myself. I asked a multitude of people if they'd prefer a new set or if I were to use the traditional Ryder-White, and most people said they'd prefer an original one. Therefore, the Levantine Set was born, and was recently, reformatted and refined into the Nanalima Set (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Nanalima_Set).

Enlong
2008-01-09, 09:03 PM
Yup, I saw the Nanalima. It looks good, if a bit small, but bah, it's nice. I must say, your class looks far more refined then my ideas, and I'll be happy to help out with it.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-09, 09:39 PM
Pretty neat.

Are you going to try for the typical list of Major Arcana (22, right?), or is the 8 already listed your goal? Maybe minor arcana that only had a few abilities (wands, cups, swords, and coins)? Because that would be a truly massive project.

Xefas
2008-01-10, 12:28 AM
Alright, this is my attempt. It has no flavor text at the moment...so, if it turns out to not be total suck, someone is welcome to write that (if not, I'll try to get around to it).

Also, while the class doesn't use any Tome of Battle mechanics, it does use some maneuvers. Luckily, Wizards of the Coast has supplied everyone with all the maneuvers. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a) So, it's possible to use those Arcana that grant maneuvers without actually owning Tome of Battle.

Finally, I used only Core spells in this as to not require people to have supplements to use it. However, if anyone would like to suggest alternative spell lists involving spells from other books, it'd be appreciated. Actually, any criticisms, suggestions, feats, Prestige Classes, etc...all appreciated.

Tarot Master

Hit Dice: d8
Skill Points: 2 + int modifier (x4 at first level)
Class Skills: Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Any), Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft

Tarot Master
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Arcana Attunement

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Reversal of Fate 1/day

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Fork in the Road 1/day

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Reversal of Fate 2/day

16th|
+12/7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Path of Judgment

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Path of the World, Fork in the Road 2/day[/table]

Proficiency: Tarot Masters are proficient with all simple weapons and with all light armor (but not shields).

Arcana Attunement (Su): Tarot Masters draw their power from the 22 paths interwoven within the tree of life. Each day, a Tarot Master can choose up to three paths to attune themselves to, which requires an hour of meditation immediately following a full night of rest. After choosing the three Arcana, the Master must then choose whether to channel the power Upright or in Reverse. The same Arcana cannot be chosen twice. The powers of an Arcana last for 24 hours, before dissipating, and requiring further meditation to maintain. At first, only the first 20 paths are available for use. Judgment and The World can only be comprehended and accessed by those who have truly earned the title of Master.

All spells, maneuvers, and other abilities granted by Arcana that have a Difficult Class, use (10+1/2 the Master's class level+the Master's wisdom modifier).

Reversal of Fate (Su): Once per day at 5th level, and twice at 15th, a Tarot Master can invert the power flow of one of his attuned Arcana. If the chosen Arcana was previously being used Upright, it no longer grants its bonus for being Upright, and instead becomes Reversed, granting new power accordingly. If the chosen Arcana was previously Reversed, it no longer grants its bonus for being Reversed, and instead becomes Upright, granting new power accordingly.

Fork in the Road (Su): Once per day at 10th level, and twice at 20th, a Tarot Master can create a temporary link between two paths and travel across it from one to another. The switch eliminates the bonuses granted from the Arcana chosen to be forsaken, and replaces them with the powers from the newly chosen Arcana. However, if the forsaken Arcana was Reversed, the newly chosen one must be channeled Upright, and vice versa.

Path of Judgment (Su): An 18th level Tarot Master can choose Judgment as one of the three Arcana they channel for the day.

Path of the World (Su): A 20th level Tarot Master can choose The World as one of the three Arcana they channel for the day.

List of Arcana
The Fool

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheFoolCard.png
The Fool
Upright: The first melee attack the Tarot Master makes in a round is charged with baleful energy. If it succeeds in striking the target and dealing damage, the target must also make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Master's class level + the Master's wisdom modifier) or take wisdom damage. The amount of damage dealt is equal to 1/4 the Master's class level (rounded down).
Reversed: The Tarot Master can treat one knowledge skill per two class levels (minimum of 1) as trained even if the Master has no ranks in the skill. In addition, the Master gains a number of +1 skill bonuses equal to the Master's wisdom modifier x2. These bonuses stack with themselves and can be divided up between any knowledge skills the Master is trained in. Furthermore, at 1st level, a Master can identify the abilities of any non-artifact magic items by spending an uninterrupted day of meditation with it. At 10th level, the identification time is reduced to 10 minutes. At 20th level, the Master can identify a magic item using a Full-Round Action.

The Magician

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheMagicianCard.png
The Magician
Upright: The Tarot Master gains a number of spell-like abilities usable each once per day (unless otherwise noted) depending upon their class level with a caster level equal to their class level. Each allotment of spells stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Magic Missile 2/day
2nd- Grease
3rd- Burning Hands
4th- Shatter 2/day
5th- Acid Arrow
6th- Scorching Ray
7th- Daylight
8th- Fireball
9th- Lightning Bolt
10th- Arcane Eye
11th- Ice Storm
12th- Wall of Fire
13th- Cone of Cold
14th- Waves of Fatigue
15th- Wall of Stone
16th- Freezing Sphere
17th- Chain Lightning
18th- Wall of Iron
19th- Eyebite
20th- Repulsion
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains the ability to cast Dispel Magic at will. In addition, the Master gains a +1 bonus on the dispel check at 5th level. This bonus increases to +2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th.

The High Priestess

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheHighPriestessCard.png
The High Priestess
Upright: The Tarot Master gains a number of spell-like abilities usable each once per day (unless otherwise noted) depending upon their class level with a caster level equal to their class level. Each allotment of spells stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Cure Light Wounds 3/day
3rd- Lesser Restoration
5th- Cure Moderate Wounds 3/day
7th- Restoration
9th- Cure Serious Wounds 3/day
11th- Cure Critical Wounds 3/day
13th- Heal
15th- Mass Cure Serious Wounds 3/day
17th- Mass Cure Critical Wounds 3/day
19th- Heal
20th- Heal
Reversed: The Tarot Master can use the spell Animate Dead at will, with the exception that the undead cannot be made permanent. Any undead raised become lifeless once more after 1 minute per class level of the Master. At 10th level, any undead raised by this ability gain a +4 bonus to Strength and Dexterity. At 15th level, the undead gain bonus hit points equal to twice their hit dice. At 20th level, the undeads’ base land movement speed doubles.

The Empress

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheEmpressCard.png
The Empress
Upright: The Tarot Master gains Spell Resistance equal to their class level +5.
Reversed: The Spell Resistance of any creatures within 15ft of the Master is reduced by 1 per two class levels of the Master (minimum 1).

The Emperor

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheEmperorCard.png
The Emperor
Upright: The Tarot Master gains proficiency in all 1-handed Martial Weapons and all shields (except Tower Shields). In addition, the Master gains a +1 bonus on all damage rolls made with 1-handed Martial Weapons per 2 class levels (minimum 1).
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains proficiency in all 2-handed Martial Weapons. In addition, the Master gains a +1 bonus on all attack rolls made with 2-handed Martial Weapons per 3 class levels (minimum 1).

The Hierophant

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheHeirophantCard.png
The Hierophant
1st- Bless 3/day
2nd- Sanctuary
3rd- Shield of Faith
4th- Align Weapon
5th- Bull’s Strength
6th- Bear’s Endurance
7th- Prayer
8th- Magic Circle Against Alignment
9th- Magic Vestment
10th- Tongues
11th- Spell Immunity
12th- Freedom of Movement
13th- Disrupting Weapon
14th- Commune
15th- True Seeing
16th- Hero’s Feast
17th- Wind Walk
18th- Mass Bull’s Strength
19th- Mass Bear’s Endurance
20th- Greater Glyph of Warding
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains a number of spell-like abilities usable each once per day (unless otherwise noted) depending upon their class level with a caster level equal to their class level. Each allotment of spells stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Bane 3/day
2nd- Doom
3rd- Obscuring Mist
4th- Darkness
5th- Death Knell
6th- Silence
7th- Contagion
8th- Blindness/Deafness
9th- Bestow Curse
10th- Dimensional Anchor
11th- Poison
12th- Dismissal
13th- Insect Plague
14th- Flame Strike
15th- Greater Command
16th- Forbiddance
17th- Antilife Shell
18th- Banishment
19th- Blade Barrier
20th- Harm

The Lovers

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheLoversCard.png
The Lovers
Upright: The Tarot Master can use the spell Command at will. At 6th level, the Tarot Master can use Charm Person at will. At 12th level, the Tarot Master can use Charm Monster and Domination Person at will. At 18th level, the Tarot Master can use Dominate Monster at will. Only one creature can be charmed or dominated from this ability at a time. Charming or dominating a new creature frees the old one.
Reversed: At 1st level, the Tarot Master gains a +4 bonus on all saving throws against Mind-Affecting abilities. At 5th level, the Master becomes immune to Fear. At 10th level, the Master becomes immune to all Mind-Affecting abilities. At 15th level, if the Tarot Master is subject to a Mind-Affecting ability, they may roll a single saving throw for it anyway. If the saving throw is successful, the owner of the ability takes a -2 morale penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws for 1 minute. At 20th level, in addition to the morale penalty, if the Master succeeds on their saving throw, the owner of the ability loses their next move action (this is a mind-affecting ability).

The Chariot

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheChariotCard.png
The Chariot
Upright: The Tarot Master gains a +10 enhancement bonus to their land movement speed. At 5th level, the Tarot Master’s land movement bonus increases to +20 and they gain a Climb and Swim speed equal to their base land speed. At 10th level, the Tarot Master gains a fly speed (good maneuverability) equal to their base land speed. At 15th level, the Tarot Master’s land speed bonus increases to 30ft, their fly speed changes to perfect. At 20th level, the Tarot Master may use the spell Greater Teleport at will with the exception that they can only teleport themselves and up to a medium load (for them) in objects.
Reverse: The Tarot Master gains a bonus on Grapple checks equal to ½ their class level (minimum +1). At 4th level, the Tarot Master gains Combat Reflexes and Hold the Line (CW) as bonus feats. At 8th level, the Master gains Stand Still (XPH) as a bonus feat. At 12th level, if the Tarot Master has not moved since the beginning of their previous turn, they are immune to all Bull Rush and Overrun attempts used against them. At 16th level, if the Tarot Master has not moved since the beginning of their previous turn, they are immune to all Trip and Disarm attempts used against them.

Strength

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/StrengthCard.png
The Strength
Upright: The Tarot Master gains access to a number of Stone Dragon maneuvers and stances depending upon their level. Each maneuver can only be used once per day. Each allotment of maneuvers stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Stonefoot Stance
2nd- Stone Bones
3rd- Charging Minotaur
4th- Stone Vise
5th- Mountain Hammer
6th- Roots of the Mountain
7th- Bonecrusher
8th- Stone Dragon’s Fury
9th- Crushing Weight of the Mountain
10th- Boulder Roll
11th- Bonesplitting Strike
12th- Overwhelming Mountain Strike
13th- Giant’s Stance
14th- Mountain Avalanche
15th- Elder Mountain Hammer
16th- Crushing Vice
17th- Iron Bones
18th- Irresistible Mountain Strike
19th- Irresistible Mountain Strike
20th- Irresistible Mountain Strike
Reverse: The Tarot Master gains access to a number of Diamond Mind maneuvers and stances depending upon their level. Each maneuver can only be used once per day. Each allotment of maneuvers stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Stance of Clarity
2nd- Sapphire Nightmare Blade
3rd- Moment of Perfect Mind
4th- Action Before Thought
5th- Emerald Razor
6th- Pearl of Black Doubt
7th- Insightful Strike
8th- Mind Over Body
9th- Ruby Nightmare Blade
10th- Mind Strike
11th- Bounding Assault
12th- Hearing the Air
13th- Rapid Counter
14th- Disrupting Blow
15th- Moment of Alacrity
16th- Greater Insightful Strike
17th- Greater Insightful Strike
18th- Greater Insightful Strike
19th- Quicksilver Motion
20th- Avalanche of Blades

The Hermit

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheHermitCard.png
Hermit
Upright: Whenever the Tarot Master is subject to an attempt to detect his alignment, they are automatically aware of it and can choose for their alignment to display as whichever they like (or not at all). At 4th level, the Tarot Master can use the spell Disguise Self at will. At 8th level, the Tarot Master becomes immune to Scrying of all kinds. At 12th level, the Tarot Master becomes immune to all Divination effects. At 16th level, whenever any Divination effect is used upon the Tarot Master, they are automatically aware of the attempt and may choose exactly what the Divination reveals (within the constraints of what the effect is allowed to reveal). At 20th level, whenever any Divination effect is used upon the Tarot Master, they know exactly what spell was cast, who used it, and a rough estimate of how far away the user is. If the user is on a different plane, instead of knowing the distance, they instead know which plane from which it was cast.
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains a number of spell-like abilities usable each once per day (unless otherwise noted) depending upon their class level with a caster level equal to their class level. Each allotment of spells stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Detect Secret Doors
2nd- True Strike
3rd- Locate Object
4th- Detect Thoughts
5th- Arcane Sight
6th- Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
7th- Locate Creature
8th- Scrying
9th- Telepathic Bond
10th- Contact Other Plane
11th- Legend Lore
12th- True Seeing
13th- Greater Arcane Sight
14th- Greater Scrying
15th- Discern Location
16th- Moment of Prescience
17th- Foresight

The Wheel of Fortune

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheWheelofFortuneCard.png
Wheel of Fortune
Upright: The Tarot Master gains a number of luck points equal to their wisdom modifier +1 per 5 class levels. Each luck point can be used on any d20 roll that they make, allowing them to reroll it. They must take the second roll, even if the result is worse. Only one point can be used on any single die roll.
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains a number of spite points equal to their wisdom modifier +1 per 5 class levels. Each spite point can be used on any d20 roll that an opponent with 60ft makes. They must take the second roll, even if the result is worse. Only one point can be used on any single die roll.

Justice

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/JusticeCard.png
Justice
Upright: The Tarot Master gains 1 smite at 1st level, and an additional one at 3rd level, and every 3 levels after that (6th, 9th, 12th, etc). A smite can be used on any single melee attack to deal additional damage equal to the Master’s class level.
Reversed: The Tarot Master will not die until their hit points equal –x, where “x” is their maximum hit point total.

The Hanged Man

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheHangedManCard.png
The Hanged Man
Upright: The Tarot Master can choose to take 1 point of strength damage as a free action to gain a +4 Sacrificial Bonus on all damage rolls for 1 round. The Tarot Master can choose to take 1 point of dexterity damage as a free action to gain a +4 Sacrificial Bonus to their AC for 1 round. The Tarot Master can choose to take 1 point of constitution damage as a free action to gain a +4 Sacrificial Bonus on all saving throws for 1 round.
Reversed: The Tarot Master can designate one willing ally as a full-round action. Afterwards, whenever the Master takes damage, the damage is divided in half, with one part being dealt to the Master and the other being dealt to the designated ally. The ally can end the effect as a move action. If the Tarot Master and the ally are ever more than 60ft apart, the effect ends until they move within range again. Designating a different ally ends the effect on the first. At 10th level, the Tarot Master can designate up to two allies, each requiring a separate full-round action. The damage is divided into thirds for them. At 20th level, the Tarot Master can designate up to three allies, each requiring a separate full-round action. The damage is divided into fourths for them.

Death

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/DeathCard.png
Death
Upright: The Tarot Master can turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + the Master’s wisdom modifier as a cleric of the Master’s class level. At 7th level, the Master gains immunity to any ability damage or ability drain caused by an undead. At 14th level, the Master gains immunity to death effects and energy drain caused by an undead. At 20th level, any undead that strike the Master in melee combat automatically take 5 points of positive energy damage.
Reversed: The Tarot Master can rebuke undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + the Master’s wisdom modifier as a cleric of the Master’s class level. At 7th level, the Master automatically gains the benefits of a Ring of Sustenance. At 14th level, the Master is healed by negative energy. If he would normally be healed by positive energy, he is still healed by that as well. At 20th level, the Master can deal 1d8+5 negative energy damage as a touch attack. This ability heals undead.

Temperance

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TemperanceCard.png
Temperance
Upright: The Tarot Master’s type changes to Outsider (native). At 5th level, the Master may choose an alignment subtype at the beginning of the day. The Master then has that subtype, and their alignment counts both as their normal one, and as if they had that type; whichever is more advantageous at the time. In addition, all weapons wielded by the Master count as being aligned as per the subtype for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At 8th level, the Master gains damage reduction 2/x, where “x” equals the opposing alignment to the subtype they have chosen. This damage reduction increases to 4/x at 11th level, 6/x at 14th level, 8/x at 17th level, and 10/x at 20th level.
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains access to a number of Tiger Claw maneuvers and stances depending upon their level. Each maneuver can only be used once per day. Each allotment of maneuvers stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Hunter’s Sense
2nd- Wolf Fang Strike
3rd- Sudden Leap
4th- Blood in the Water
5th- Claw at the Moon
6th- Rabid Wolf Strike
7th- Leaping Dragon Stance
8th- Soaring Raptor Strike
9th- Flesh Ripper
10th- Wolverine Stance
11th- Fountain of Blood
12th- Death From Above
13th- Dancing Mongoose
14th- Pouncing Charge
15th- Wolf Climbs the Mountain
16th- Rabid Bear Strike
17th- Rabid Bear Strike
18th- Rabid Bear Strike
19th- Prey on the Weak
20th- Hamstring Attack

The Devil

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheDevilCard.png
The Devil
Upright: The Tarot Master gains an Eldritch Blast, useable at will as a standard action, that can strike creatures up to 30ft away as a ranged touch attack. A successful attack deals 1d6 damage at 1st level, 2d6 damage at 3rd level, 3d6 damage at 6th level, 4d6 at 9th level, 5d6 at 12th level, 6d6 at 15th level, 7d6 at 18th level, and 8d6 at 20th level. This damage stacks with Eldritch Blast damage from the Warlock class.
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains access to a number of auras equal to their wisdom modifier. The auras effect all allies within 30ft, but not themselves. At 1st level, only one aura can be active at a time. Switching auras is a swift action. The amount of bonus each aura provides is equal to the Master’s wisdom modifier. The auras are:
1) Rolls to confirm critical hits
2) Damage rolls while flanking
3) Attack rolls while flanking
4) Rolls to Disarm
5) Rolls to Bull Rush
6) Rolls to Trip
7) Rolls to Overrun
8) Rolls to Sunder
9) Any 1 Skill Check (determined when the auras are being selected)
10) Fast Healing while below ½ maximum hit points
11) Armor Class Against Attacks of Opportunity
12) Armor Class While Being Flanked

The Tower

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheTowerCard.png
The Tower
Upright: The Tarot Master gains proficiency with medium armor. At 5th level, the Tarot Master gains proficiency with heavy armor. At 10th level, any armor the Master wears has 1 less armor check penalty than normal, and is treated as having the Light Fortification enhancement. At 15th level, the armor check penalty drops by another 1, and the armor has Medium Fortification. At 20th level, the armor grants Heavy Fortification.
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains a third magic ring slot. At 6th level, the Master gains a second neck magic item slot. At 12th level, the Master gains a fourth ring slot. At 18th level, the Master gains a third neck magic item slot. (Normal space restraints still apply, but this could, for instance, allow someone to wear multiple amulets or necklaces, and gain benefits from them all.)

The Star

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheStarCard.png
The Star
Upright: The Tarot Master gains a bonus on all balance, climb, escape artist, sense motive, and tumble checks equal to ½ their class level (minimum 1).
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains proficiency in all ranged martial weapons. In addition, they gains a +1 damage bonus on all attacks made with ranged martial weapons equal to 1/3 their class level. At 5th level, the Master gains Zen Archery as a bonus feat. At 10th level, the Master threatens all adjacent squares when wielding a ranged martial weapon, and does not provoke an attack of opportunity from adjacent enemies when firing one.

The Moon

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheMoonCard.png
The Moon
Upright: The Tarot Master gains a bonus on all hide, move silently, search, spot, and listen checks equal to ½ their class level (minimum 1).
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains +1d6 Sneak Attack. This bonus increases to 2d6 damage at 3rd level, 3d6 damage at 6th level, 4d6 at 9th level, 5d6 at 12th level, 6d6 at 15th level, 7d6 at 18th level, and 8d6 at 20th level.

The Sun

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheSunCard.png
The Sun
Upright: The Tarot Master gains access to a number of Desert Wind maneuvers and stances depending upon their level. Each maneuver can only be used once per day. Each allotment of maneuvers stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Distracting Ember
2nd- Wind Stride
3rd- Burning Blade
4th- Flame’s Blessing
5th- Flashing Sun
6th- Burning Brand
7th- Fire Riposte
8th- Zephyr Dance
9th- Fan the Flames
10th- Death Mark
11th- Holocaust Cloak
12th- Fire Snake
13th- Searing Charge
14th- Searing Blade
15th- Leaping Flame
16th- Lingering Inferno
17th- Fiery Assault
18th- Ring of Fire
19th- Desert Tempest
20th- Inferno Blade
Reversed: The Tarot Master gains access to a number of Shadow Hand maneuvers and stances depending upon their level. Each maneuver can only be used once per day. Each allotment of maneuvers stacks with the ones before it.
1st- Island of Blades
2nd- Shadow Blade Technique
3rd- Clinging Shadow Strike
4th- Child of Shadow
5th- Cloak of Deception
6th- Drain Vitality
7th- Shadow Garrote
8th- Strength Draining Strike
9th- Obscuring Shadow Veil
10th- Hand of Death
11th- Step of the Dancing Moth
12th- Bloodletting Strike
13th- Shadow Stride
14th- Ghost Blade
15th- Stalker in the Night
16th- Shadow Noose
17th- Shadow Noose
18th- Shadow Noose
19th- Shadow Blink
20th- Death in the Dark

Judgment

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/JudgmentCard.png
Judgment
Upright: The Tarot Master can, three times per day, as a standard action, restore one touched corpse to life. If the corpse was dead for less than a round, then the person is returned to life with no loss of experience at ½ maximum hit points, but can take no actions for one round. If the corpse was dead for less than 5 rounds, then the person is returned to life at 0 hit points with no loss of experience, but cannot take actions for 1 full hour, regardless of their current hit points. If the corpse was dead for longer, this ability has no effect.
Reversed: The Tarot Master can, three times per day, as a standard action, slay one creature within 30ft. The creature is allowed a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ the Master’s class level + the Master’s wisdom modifier) to resist the effects. If a creature is slain by this effect, it begins to deteriorate incredibly fast, turning completely to dust in 24 hours.

The World

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/Xiranthador/TheWorldCard.png
The World
Upright: The Tarot Master can, once per day as an immediate action, activate this ability. Once activated, the Master becomes completely immune to all physical and energy damage for 3 rounds.
Reversed: The Tarot Master can, once per day as an immediate action, activate this ability. Once activated, the Master becomes completely immune to all non-damaging magic and negative conditions and effects for 3 rounds. Magic and effects already on the Master remain, but do not effect them for the duration. Bonuses and positive effects (such as from helpful magic items and spells cast by allies) are not effected and remain active.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-10, 11:52 AM
Pretty neat.

Are you going to try for the typical list of Major Arcana (22, right?), or is the 8 already listed your goal? Maybe minor arcana that only had a few abilities (wands, cups, swords, and coins)? Because that would be a truly massive project.

I was aiming for a deck of sixty unique cards for the Nanalima Set, I just haven't come up with all the cards yet. It's a project on par with Binders, really.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-10, 05:38 PM
Edit: Just came up with an idea for a Wheel of Fortune spell, one of the face-up ones.

Seal Fate
Abjuration
Base DC: 30
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
Effect: Seal Fate ensures that the creature in question does not find any way to cheat death. The creature must have died within 1 round of using this spell. The soul of the dead creature cannot be returned through clone, raise dead, reincarnation, resurrection, true resurrection, or even a miracle or a wish. However, their soul remains free to go the afterlife, they are simply barred from ever returning to life.
Effect Increment: For each 6 points you increase the DC by, the number of rounds allowed between the use of this spell and the creature's death increases by 1, and its effective level increases by 1.

Sort of the polar opposite of Revify, used to ensure a creature's fate, rather then cheating fate.

Awesome. I'll add that one when I get a chance. Any ideas for other cards, or other spells? I'm shooting for three upright and three reversed for each card.

Ascension
2008-01-10, 06:54 PM
Aww, here I was hoping someone had actually built an entire class around the use of Decks of Many Things. Even if it won't be the main focus of the class, I think it would be cool to give it some sort of class ability which could potentially reduce the negative effects of a DoMT, but which would also limit the positive effects as well, or do precisely the opposite... boosting both the positive and negative effects of the cards... and of course you'd have to declare which one you were planning on doing before drawing a card.

Cespenar
2008-01-10, 07:26 PM
Awesome. I'll add that one when I get a chance. Any ideas for other cards, or other spells? I'm shooting for three upright and three reversed for each card.

Some ideas from the top of my head, but not quite clarified since I'm fighting off sleep at the moment.

And, to add, I'm not knowledgeable about the original tarot cards, so one or more might be similar or identical.

-The Prince
-The Princess
-The Knight
-The Snake (symbolizing poison, stealth, treachery etc.)
-The Crown
-The Torch, or The Candle (symbolizing enlightenment, discovery)
-The Mountain (symbolizing permanence, stability, etc.)
-The Peak (a goal, a mission, glory...)
-The Eagle (glory, etc.)
-The Banner (leadership, etc.)
-The Sword (many meanings)
-The Shield (protection)
-The Mirror
-The Wave (overcoming, purging, dispelling?)
-The Mask
-The Boot, or The Wheel (travel)
-The Wind (change)

Overall, it may be too symbolic, but anyway. You may use anything if you feel it'll fit.

Enlong
2008-01-10, 10:53 PM
Aww, here I was hoping someone had actually built an entire class around the use of Decks of Many Things. Even if it won't be the main focus of the class, I think it would be cool to give it some sort of class ability which could potentially reduce the negative effects of a DoMT, but which would also limit the positive effects as well, or do precisely the opposite... boosting both the positive and negative effects of the cards... and of course you'd have to declare which one you were planning on doing before drawing a card.

Perhaps it could have a few abilities working around the cards you draw from a DoMT or DoI. Perhaps you could, once per day, ignore a card after you draw it and then draw another in its place? Or something.

Here's another idea for a Reversed Phoenix spell.

Deep Freeze
Conjuration
Base DC: 22
Range: close: 25 feet plus 5 feet per caster level
Level: 5
Target: All within range, minus caster
Duration: 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: No
Effect: This spell creates a field of utter cold surrounding the caster. Anything entering the field from outside immediately notices a severe drop in temperature.
Each round, all creatures within the field of cold must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of cold damage. Any still liquid immediately begins to freeze. The only one unaffected by the temperature is the person who cast the spell in the first place: he and all his possessions are rendered immune to the effects. The field of cold follows the caster if he moves.
Effect increment: For each 3 points you increase the DC by, you can either increase the duration by 1 round, increase the range by 5 feet, or increase the damage each round by 1d4.

To round off the opposition of each spell that the Upright Phoenix has, you already had a spell of Darkness and a spell of Death to oppose the spells of Light and Healing, so I figured a spell of Cold to oppose the spell of Fire.

Enlong
2008-03-24, 03:27 PM
Anyone still interested in this?