2008-01-09, 12:10 AM
Same as Gnome in addition to the following stats:
+2 Int; -2 Wis
Favored Class: Artificer replaces Bard
Mending replaces Speak With Burrowing Animals
Detect Magic replaces Ghost Sound

RTGoodman
2008-01-09, 12:57 AM
I assume you mean that you use the ability adjustments here and from the Core gnome, so you'd have a final result of -2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis. If not, you should consider that anyway - Small races always take a penalty to Str, and it's just easy to leave the Con bonus (and it fits the flavor - they've got to have some strong fortitude when experiments go awry!).

Also, you might want to look at changing their spell-like abilities - a tinkerer doesn't really seem like the kind of guy (to me, at least) that needs to throw out some ghost sounds or to speak with a burrowing animal for a minute per day. Not sure what you could use, though mending would probably work.

Also, if you didn't know, there's already a tinker gnome race in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, but I'm not sure what the stats for it are (and my books are packed up to move tomorrow).

Icewalker
2008-01-09, 02:59 AM
Personally I dislike the gnome racial stat changes, as I think of the gnomes as arcanists and tinkers. I just house-rule the stats to +2 int, -2 str, instead of +2 con, -2 str.

...That way I can stat an NPC caster with the non-elite array which has bonuses :smallsigh:

Nebo_
2008-01-09, 03:21 AM
Same as Gnome except at the following stats:
+2 Int; -2 Wis

Oh, come on. At least put a bit of effort in.

hawkboy772042
2008-01-09, 03:24 AM
I assume you mean that you use the ability adjustments here and from the Core gnome, so you'd have a final result of -2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis. If not, you should consider that anyway - Small races always take a penalty to Str, and it's just easy to leave the Con bonus (and it fits the flavor - they've got to have some strong fortitude when experiments go awry!).

Also, you might want to look at changing their spell-like abilities - a tinkerer doesn't really seem like the kind of guy (to me, at least) that needs to throw out some ghost sounds or to speak with a burrowing animal for a minute per day. Not sure what you could use, though mending would probably work.

Also, if you didn't know, there's already a tinker gnome race in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, but I'm not sure what the stats for it are (and my books are packed up to move tomorrow).

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Also, I don't care to buy the Dragonlance Campaign Setting and you're right about the spell-like abilities needing to be changed. I'm think you're right that mending should replace speak with animals and perhaps detect magic to replace ghost sound.

hawkboy772042
2008-01-09, 03:28 AM
I also think that the illusion bonuses should be taken away in exchange for something more on being mechanical... any suggestions?

Nebo_
2008-01-09, 04:02 AM
Bonuses to craft checks.

JaronK
2008-01-09, 06:11 AM
Same as Gnome in addition to the following stats:
+2 Int; -2 Wis
Mending replaces Speak With Burrowing Animals
Detect Magic replaces Ghost Sound

No. Absolutely not.

Artificer is already one of the strongest races out there, and then you gave them a penalty to something that doesn't matter to an Artificer, with a bonus to something that does. No no no no no no.

Instead, keep the stats as before, with the Mending replacing Speak with Animals and maybe a +2 to craft checks (with a decrease somewhere else) and you should be good.

JaronK

hawkboy772042
2008-01-09, 07:46 PM
No. Absolutely not.

Artificer is already one of the strongest races out there, and then you gave them a penalty to something that doesn't matter to an Artificer, with a bonus to something that does. No no no no no no.

Instead, keep the stats as before, with the Mending replacing Speak with Animals and maybe a +2 to craft checks (with a decrease somewhere else) and you should be good.

JaronK

I was trying to account for the flavor of the absent minded professor, "all brains but no common sense" axiom...

Anyways, the other appropriate bonuses to have would be +2 to Craft, Use Magic Device, and to Disable Device checks.

The ones to be taken away would be the +1 DC to illusion spells, +2 saving throws against illusions, and +1 attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids for the above added bonuses.

hawkboy772042
2008-01-09, 07:48 PM
No. Absolutely not.

JaronK

I was trying to account for the flavor of the absent minded professor, "all brains but no common sense" axiom...

Anyways, the other appropriate bonuses to have would be +2 to Craft, Use Magic Device, and to Disable Device checks.

The ones to be taken away would be the +1 DC to illusion spells, +2 saving throws against illusions, hooked hammer proficiency, and +1 attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids for the above added bonuses.